Changes and New Features in 7.0

EricMusco

Weekly Missions will rotate in availability each week in 7.0, and we want to ensure that all players are on the same Weekly Missions each week in order keep those Mission areas feeling dynamic and filled with other people to group or share Mission credit with.

Okay, most of these changes looks nice. Shared Tagging and Weapon Outfit Slot will be great! But the above part which I've quoted mostly just fills me with dread. EVERYONE crammed into the same weekly areas? I really hope you'll make literally every clickable in the weekly areas an insta-respawn then, otherwise it's going to be the mother of all cluster****s. Shared Tagging will probably make it not a big issue in terms of the kill X mobs missions, but if we have to sit there and stare for three hours while groups and solo players boredly sit around in a queue while the ten minute clickable respawn, I can pretty much guarantee most of them will turn their back on that system and never do it again.

So please make damn sure you've got the clickables insta-respawning before you cram the entire playerbase into the same weekly areas. Places like CZ-198, Section X and The Black Hole, for example, already becomes helluva tedious if there's just a few extra players there, due to the clickables.

Also, in terms of auto-completing missions, you really need to make sure to have some kind of option/systems that allows players to do the bonus mission first. Because as is, a lot of them have a bonus that unless you focus hard on it, you kill or loot one mob too many, and bam, there you failed the bonus. The Jawa Trade heroic on Tatooine is a good example of that - you basically have to not loot anything until you've done the bonus, but looting comes naturally, so unless you're fully concentrated... lost out. It's frustrating. Ideally, either missions with bonuses like that should have a turn-in nearby, so you can choose yourself when to turn in, or there should be some confirmation whether you want to accept completing the mission while having the bonus mission active in your log.

Edited by Kolskeggur

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the shared tagging! I've recently come back and when I see someone else in an area, I am inclined to just leave because inevitably they will just steal everything before I can complete my mission. This is not a good feeling to have in an MMO unless one is interested in PvP.

Also, I hope that weapons will be able to have their dye unite with the chest dye colors as the other pieces of an outfit do.

I'd mainly like to talk about the changes to "Vanish" in ops. My main problem stems from the fact that this now eliminates shadows ONE and only useful raid utility. For years, shadows have been frown upon in high level ops (e.g. Hard Mode and Nightmare mode ops) due to their lack of real utility. Their AOE is STILL weak, even after the new ability you introduced in 6.0, they have no raid buff, and their single-target DPS tends to be so-so.

Why are you trying to strip away anything and everything that make classes feel unique and interesting? Even as it is, with all the constant AOE damage going out in raids, it is DAMN hard to pull off a stealth rez in the middle of a raid. You typically have to time it JUST right to coincide with boss mechanics/attacks in order to get it off. It's not just some nilly-willy "bring everyone back to life" mechanic... that would be the silly guild ship ability you introduced. Pulling of stealth rez in a NIM raid is a high-skill play, and now you're taking that away.

Tell me something, why should I bring a shadow along in my NIM raid group? Why should I not just pile on more Vanguards, because we all know you favor them by giving them the highest DPS in the game? From now on, I'll only allow Vanguards in my group because I only want the highest parsing DPS in my groups. Since you're removing all raid utilties anyways (goodbye raid buffs, which have been present since day one of this game), why play anything other than the FOTM class. You say you're going "balance the classes" but you've never ONCE, in this games 10 year history, managed to pull that off. You might be able to fool the newbies around here who haven't been around long enough to know your history, but I do, and I don't buy it for even a second. People complained about how OP Vanguards were for the entirety of 6.x, and you did absolutely nothing about it. Why should I expect that to suddenly change?

I can't wait for the mass exodus of players when this **** expansion hits. It's like you looked at all of Blizzards failures in the last few years and said, "You know, that's pretty bad, but I'm confident we can do much worse." And then set about doing it. And by God, I believe you, I really do.

Thank you for all of these changes that are being made. While I do appreciate the attention BioWare is giving to credit inflation I'm wondering what proof there was that Conquest Credit rewards are a significant part of credit inflation?

My purpose with this post is to inform, not complain or otherwise define how big a problem may be in the eyes of BioWare. You have access to more economic information I may have on the back-end, I can only tell you how the players I know make millions or billions.

I am one of the gtn sellers that will sell war supplies, prefabs, or flip low-priced items on the GTN in order to make a profit. I can make several million in a matter of a few days and the Conquest Credit rewards whether small, medium, or large are insignificant compared to what I've seen others do for income.

I can see that BioWare might not want to adversely impact the rewards subscribers get and the crafting that they do, but when it comes to real credit earnings and profit, it's CRAFTING for Conquest and End Game which is one of the biggest sources of revenue. The second that I've seen is the over-pricing of Cartel Market Items or drops from Flashpoints and Operations.

Cartel Market Items that Generate Significant Credits

Most of the billionares I know of sell Hypercrates, individual loot crates, Legacy or Character names changes and similar items. Others are the ones that craft the end-game gear, which is understandably worth a lot of money. I don't see that the end-game gear is really a problem for inflation, although I mention it because it IS a much better source of income than Conquest credit rewards. The thing that stands out the most when it comes to crafting are the War Supplies.

Conquest Crafting Prices/ GTN

If I can make a crystal capacitor and sell it for 1-3 million each depending on the going gtn rates, when invasion forces that require multiple war supplies are selling for the exact same average price on the gtn. Dark Projects also go for 3 million or more. These are more subscriber-centric crafted items as the time and amount needed to make a significant profit is eminently more feasible for those with subscriptions that can send up to 8 companions at a time to craft.

Decoration Drops, Recovered Relics,

The last thing I've seen which I know can net me nearly 50 million to 100 million in a week if I try are the decoration drops from Flashpoints and if I can flip or acquire a Recovered Relic to resell. While I understand you want to reward players for doing content repetitively, I wonder if the drop rates on the items which sell for millions (30 - 45 mil for Recovered Relics, FP items vary but rare ones can be up to 200 mil or more) are any more incentive than the Conquest Point rewards for doing these Flashpoints. (I'm purposefully leaving out Operations as those are already somewhat balanced in terms of rewards for items/ drops, etc, and being Subscriber content have to be approached differently). Would increasing the drop rate for some of these items help reduce the amount of credits in the hands of the players whom are already having significant incomes from crafting and playing content?

I find that those that need the end-game armor and other things that are significant credit sinks already have ways to earn credits that far exceed conquest rewards.

My purpose of mentioning these factors, I don't think the solution would be to reduce the amount of rewards for Conquest Credits. This may adversely impact preferred and free-to-play players who don't have the capability to craft the same quantity or quality of items to sell or otherwise can't afford to buy cartel market items on the gtn.

While I am a subscriber who adores having millions to spend on decorations due to crafting, I don't want to see the players limited by their own financial or other circumstances that prohibit them from playing extensively or otherwise being able to subscribe regularly to be able to have the capability of crafting extensively. In the past few years of playing I find that SWTOR is one of the most accessible and friendly to the widest range of players including the non-neurotypical and disabled which aren't always capable of the kind of game play or cartel market item selling that allows them to amass hundreds of millions to spend in the game.

I apologize that I can't write a short reply to save my life and I appreciate that you are listening to feedback so much this past year.

While I am a frequent seller of items on the gtn, and a subscriber, I'm genuinely concerned about credit inflation and the ability for BioWare to make sure this is wonderful gaming community for the majority of players.

Thank you.

You might think that GTN flipping or crafting is “earning credits” or causing the inflation because you can make lots of credits from it. But you’re missing the point that these wealth making methods aren’t actually generating or creating any of the “actual” credits in the game, so players aren’t actually earning them. All they are doing is moving said credits from one player to another.

BioWare have it correct when they say the game is generating too many credits. Obviously we don’t have access to all the data points, so we need to take their word that it’s the accumulation of people completing conquest each week that is “adding” or generating most of the new credits.

So, sadly, your well written post doesn’t actually address anything with the inflationary problems. The only way you can address the problem is reduce the amount of credits the game is generating and / or add more credit sinks that target the wealthy.

Also free to play and preferred players can craft or GTN trade. There is nothing stopping them from doing so because I do it on my other account. So I’m not sure how you think reducing the credits from conquest will specifically affect them anymore than anyone else.

I think what BioWare are doing is a great first step in tackling inflation. I just hope they have some non invasive credit sinks that attract the wealthy to spend the excess credits currently sitting in people’s cargo holds and not sinks that are gambling or performance based. Some new vendors with elite or rare non performance items for credits would be a great start and so would a sliding tax scale for the GTN on items over 50 million.

!!! Really looking forward to the weapons in the outfitter and the shared tagging!

Thank you guys for keeping us up to speed with the additions and changes coming in 7.0!

(small question, but will there be any additions/updates to companion customization coming as well? like allowing us to change arcann's gear and give senya her old look back?)

Hey folks,

Welcome back, but "You're in the Arena now." Hope you've buffed your armor.

Daily and Weekly Mission Reset

In 7.0, uncompleted Daily and Weekly Missions will be removed from players once the Daily or Weekly reset time passes (currently Tuesday, 12:00am UTC).

This stinks. Sometimes I don't want to lose progress on my GSF weekly or Master Mode Flashpoint weekly, especially on characters I may not play every week (which by the way is a big issue since Combat Styles makes it less necessary to have multiple alts for multiple roles.) But this is especially egregious for the PVP ground warzone weekly. Coupled with the win requirement, this is going to discourage players from participating in ground pvp. The win requirement should be removed if this change goes live.

I'm also scared to ask this, but I really hope the GSF [WEEKLY] is not being removed and will be available every week regardless.

Economy Adjustments

We have been studying and measuring economic indicators around the game’s economy, specifically in regards to Credit inflation. What this means is that more Credits are being created in the economy than are being spent, which drives the GTN prices upwards over time on all items. One of the steps we’re taking to address this is the reduction of credits awarded by completing Conquests.

If you seriously believe that 300k credits from completing conquest is breaking the economy, I really don't know what to tell you.

We’re also planning on removing Solid Resource Matrix items from Conquest rewards and instead putting them on Jawa vendors available for purchase with Jawa Junk.

Again, where is the data that suggests this is a big problem? I'm swimming in SRMs just from getting anywhere from 1-16 characters through conquest since 6.0 started and I have never needed to buy one off the GTN.

This will help address Credit creation issues in the economy.

No it won't.

Shared Tagging

Another big improvement supporting the new weekly content rotation is Shared Tagging.

I love this idea! Good work!

Combat Change - Vanish

Currently, Vanish allows players to circumvent intended game mechanics, especially ones that require a target.

Examples? You say you are excluding pvp, which of course where this is used a lot to facilitate capping nodes or bursting down a target, so I guess I'm not really sure which operations and flashpoints this is affecting.

We understand the benefit of resurrecting more frequently in group content, so we are removing the Operation wide lockout timer from combat rezzing. As a balance measure, we've made it so only healing disciplines have access to combat revives. We'll be monitoring this and will adjust the cooldown as needed.

So, just to be clear, the in-combat revive will still have an ability cooldown, but with the raid-wide debuff removed, the other healer(s) in the group will be able to use an in-combat revive even if healer #1's is still on cooldown? This seems like a reasonable accommodation. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Weapons in Outfitter

Finally, we’re excited to share details with you around one of the most requested features of the past several years: Weapons in Outfitter!

Awesome! I know for a fact I'll be using this feature a lot if it works the way I presume. I presume the weapon outfitter will still restrict to weapon TYPE within a Combat Style, for example Commando combat style will be able to use any Assault Cannonin Outfitter, but not any ranged weapon?

Combat Change - Vanish

Feels like another case of PVP behavior ruining other game aspects. For a dps with a revive capability to have that taken away takes away some of their utility in end game operations or MM fps. If the healer(s) go down and they can't be revived that pretty much ruins the battle. Being able to get off a stealth rez during a fight should also be something that is allowed since it requires some thought and skill.

You’ve completely missed the point of this change. It has nothing to do with pvp and everything to do with people avoiding operations and flash point mechanics. Eric even said as much in his explanation. So please reread what he wrote and stop blaming pvpers for a change that isn’t remotely linked to them. That’s why it’s not being changed in open world pve or in pvp war zones.

This stinks. Sometimes I don't want to lose progress on my GSF weekly or Master Mode Flashpoint weekly, especially on characters I may not play every week (which by the way is a big issue since Combat Styles makes it less necessary to have multiple alts for multiple roles.) But this is especially egregious for the PVP ground warzone weekly. Coupled with the win requirement, this is going to discourage players from participating in ground pvp. The win requirement should be removed if this change goes live.

I'm also scared to ask this, but I really hope the GSF [WEEKLY] is not being removed and will be available every week regardless.

I completely agree with your sentiment. I don’t always have time to finish all my pvp or GSF weeklies. It’s nice to be able to progress through them at your own pace. This is especially true if I can’t play during prime time and pvp or gsf isn’t popping. You can compound this more if you are playing lowbie or mid bracket pvp. And can you imagine Ranked pvpers having it reset with 1 win remaining because you have WIN to progress your ranked weekly and some trolls or wintraders preventing it or killing the queue.

I really hope they rethink this refresh weeklies idea. I’m all for them making certain weeklies a “hero” weekly that gives more rewards. But I’m totally against them resetting weeklies you’re half way through and can’t complete in time due to lack of people in queues during your play time or because some wintrader or troll is ruining ranked pvp or gsf.

inflation isnt a bad thing.

think about new players.

the credits are there, and reducing the ability to obtain credis only helps the people who already have credits.

prices wont go down significantly.

people have a **** load of jawa junk stored.

the only thing this change achieves is to scare away new players.

limit person to person trade, so that there is no room for big scale tax evasion.

i cant believe that you really think this will work out fine .. its neo liberal ********..... but on the other side bioware is from a country where public health insurances are considerd communist.

These are fair points, especially the tax evasion one with people trading one on one to avoid the GTN tax. I’m all for BioWare putting a lower credit cap on the amount of credits that can be traded between players. Then adding a scaled GTN tax system that increases gradually based on the list price. They could even reduce the current 8% down to 4% for cheaper items and have a maximum 16% for items above 900 million.

I'd mainly like to talk about the changes to "Vanish" in ops. My main problem stems from the fact that this now eliminates shadows ONE and only useful raid utility. For years, shadows have been frown upon in high level ops (e.g. Hard Mode and Nightmare mode ops) due to their lack of real utility. Their AOE is STILL weak, even after the new ability you introduced in 6.0, they have no raid buff, and their single-target DPS tends to be so-so.

Why are you trying to strip away anything and everything that make classes feel unique and interesting? Even as it is, with all the constant AOE damage going out in raids, it is DAMN hard to pull off a stealth rez in the middle of a raid. You typically have to time it JUST right to coincide with boss mechanics/attacks in order to get it off. It's not just some nilly-willy "bring everyone back to life" mechanic... that would be the silly guild ship ability you introduced. Pulling of stealth rez in a NIM raid is a high-skill play, and now you're taking that away.

Tell me something, why should I bring a shadow along in my NIM raid group? Why should I not just pile on more Vanguards, because we all know you favor them by giving them the highest DPS in the game? From now on, I'll only allow Vanguards in my group because I only want the highest parsing DPS in my groups. Since you're removing all raid utilties anyways (goodbye raid buffs, which have been present since day one of this game), why play anything other than the FOTM class. You say you're going "balance the classes" but you've never ONCE, in this games 10 year history, managed to pull that off. You might be able to fool the newbies around here who haven't been around long enough to know your history, but I do, and I don't buy it for even a second. People complained about how OP Vanguards were for the entirety of 6.x, and you did absolutely nothing about it. Why should I expect that to suddenly change?

I can't wait for the mass exodus of players when this **** expansion hits. It's like you looked at all of Blizzards failures in the last few years and said, "You know, that's pretty bad, but I'm confident we can do much worse." And then set about doing it. And by God, I believe you, I really do.

That's where you are wrong. Sin has been frowned upon cause of lack of damage. Justification was (wrongly imo) taunt, and stealth ress, shroud makes up the number loss. Now removing the raid utility they need to buff the dps numbers ahead of pt and even mara, cause literally it has nothing. So overall it's a good change.

Edited by lord-angelus

Without wishing to seem rude or anything, but you (the studio collectively) suck. Weapons, as I've been saying ever since Outfit Designer was released, should be in a separate system *like* Outfit Designer, but selectable independently of it.

Why? Because my characters' weapons are not part of their outfits.

This is the part your are looking for:

If a weapon is not assigned to an Outfitter slot, the game will use the options from the currently equipped weapon instead.

Simply do not stamp a weapon to an outfit slot. Problem solved. Weapon is not part of the outfit.

We’re also planning on removing Solid Resource Matrix items from Conquest rewards and instead putting them on Jawa vendors available for purchase with Jawa Junk.

In 6.0, Superior Resource Matrix was moved from conquest to Jawa scrap vendors, and in 5.0, Strategic Resource Matrix was moved from conquest to Jawa scrap vendors. So this is nothing new... Will there be a new something resource matrix in conquest now? I'd like to see crafting on PTS before 7.0 hits live.

Because, of course, none of those quests involve interacting with objects that disappear and/or go on cooldown. Unless just getting near the object will satisfy the requirements

If it works like it did in wow, if you were in the area (within a certain amount of distance) then you got credit for it as well. Hopefully they will do that so it helps with the problem we have in those areas and it actually helped feel like you were helping in those areas.

That's not what I mean. While we have personal loot, some items are still given RNG-like, like decos, pets and mounts in operations.

Example: 10 people doing the Worldbreaker Monolith world boss who can drop a decoration of himself because one of the players from that party wants the decoration, or they are farming to add the decoration to the Guild Ship. Does that mean that I can randomly go to Shoot a couple times that boss while they are fighting without even being in that party, and now I'm automaticaly in the loot pool with them, allowing me to have a chance of getting that decoration even tho I did nothing? Is that what is it going to be?

The way it was handled in wow, special items like this was included for everyone. I remember one boss helping a group kill because they were having trouble and once it was down I remember being shocked to see the special gear being in my inventory as well so it could be they are going to do that as well. This allowed people to help out others instead of having to be in a group to help with something.

Edited by casirabit

Economy Adjustments

We have been studying and measuring economic indicators around the game’s economy, specifically in regards to Credit inflation. What this means is that more Credits are being created in the economy than are being spent, which drives the GTN prices upwards over time on all items. One of the steps we’re taking to address this is the reduction of credits awarded by completing Conquests.

This will help address Credit creation issues in the economy. We will be sharing more details on these changes in a follow up post in the near future.

I look forward to this post, because as it is right now, one of the biggest credit sinks in the game (GTN Tax) is being bypassed, because the value of many items, exceeds the 1 Billion credit limit on GTN Sales.

Taking credits out of the economy, will do much more than limiting their creation (especially at the miniscule levels the conquest rewards provide).

To do this, we need meaningful credit sinks.

We understand the benefit of resurrecting more frequently in group content, so we are removing the Operation wide lockout timer from combat rezzing. As a balance measure, we've made it so only healing disciplines have access to combat revives. We'll be monitoring this and will adjust the cooldown as needed.

Please consider the impact this change will have on Veteran flashpoints. For many players, Veteran flashpoints are their entry into group content in SWTOR. A large percentage of veteran flashpoint groups don't contain any healers, This will mean no combat revives for veteran flashpoints, which will lead to a less interactive experience for new players. It's not fun spending 1/2 a boss fight dead, because you stood in the fire by mistake.

Edited by RomerioLopez

Taking credits out of the economy, will do much more than limiting their creation (especially at the miniscule levels the conquest rewards provide).

To do this, we need meaningful credit sinks.

Limiting creation is the bigger problem by far, assuming that credit sellers with bots are the main source of credits entering the economy. The devs don't seem to acknowledge the credit sellers, so idk what their plan is.

I play other MMO's with "share tagging" and they feel so much more like a community helping each other and not every one for themselves.

I really welcome this change. It’s something I suggested years ago. All of GW2’s quests are like that. It often feels like you’re in a group even when you’re not and it actually promotes good player interaction.

I just hope BioWare are going to reward everyone the same drops regardless, just like GW2 does.

The way it was handled in wow, special items like this was included for everyone. I remember one boss helping a group kill because they were having trouble and once it was down I remember being shocked to see the special gear being in my inventory as well so it could be they are going to do that as well. This allowed people to help out others instead of having to be in a group to help with something.

It’s a good idea if they implement it that way. Hopefully Musco can get back to us to confirm it one way or the other.

I think if it’s done right it will actually encourage some better player to player interactions and help eliminate poor interactions.

Hey folks,

Alongside this change we will also introduce a number of quality of life improvements, including auto-completing Missions where we are able to when characters are on the turn-in step.

Please make this optional. Me and many other players play this game to role-play and taking away the turn-in conversation takes that away from us. Also, as others have pointed out, it makes it even harder to complete the bonus missions.

Maybe make it a button in the quest list that players can hit if they don't want to have to walk back to the NPC to turn the quest in. This would enable role players to keep their conversations and for players to choose when to turn the quest in if they don't need or want the conversation so they can complete the bonus mission.

Shared Tagging

Sounds good until you realize there may be a person who spent hours camping a rare spawn (say in CZ) finally gets the spawn, attacks it only for another player to run by, hit it once and then get the assigned rare loot given to them.

Shared Tagging.... aka Kill Stealing....

First.... the idea that I want or need someones help, is WRONG, that's what GROUPS are for, when you NEED help....

It's called SOLOING for a reason.

I don't need or want people coming over and smacking the mobs I am killing just to steal (yes it is stealing) a peice of the credit.

Especially when I only need to wound that mob so I can capture or tag it. Than have some Ya-Hoo come over and KILL it. All in some lame attempt to "help" me? Or for the loot drop? No Thank You...

Or.... Your killing a white star mob for a mission, achievement or what ever. You know one of those 3 million HP bosses. You set in for a long fight and start combat..... then along come this player and takes a shot, hits the mob a few times them sits back and waits until you either kill it (then they steal a part of the reward) or you die. At which point that guy will kill the now very weakened boss easily and take the reward..... And You Get, NOTHING.

I would rather have Target Locking... An option that you can set and make any mob you attack LOCKED, so that only you or your group can attack and loot the mob.

Not to make it easier for somebody to exploit the system to get credit that is not earned.

Edited by denavin

If it works like it did in wow, if you were in the area (within a certain amount of distance) then you got credit for it as well. Hopefully they will do that so it helps with the problem we have in those areas and it actually helped feel like you were helping in those areas.

I just don’t feel confident that they will do this or if they do that they will get it right.

Like - Weapons in outfit designer...at last, thank you to all who made this possible.

Dislike - Losing combat res on my dps merc and weekly resets (especially for pvp weekly....maybe reduce down the number of wins needed to compensate)

Also like - seeing Musco get on the Dev Tracker again. (thought the bright lights of dev streams had lured him away entirely!)

- Daily/Weekly resets - not sure how I feel about it. But please reduce the respawn timer on clickies for heroics while you're at it...

- Economy - I mean... Solid Resource Matrix will be useless in the new crafting tier, I assume, so I fail to see what difference it will make. Less credits for CQ, ok, sure. But you're going to have to add more credit sinks (and do something about those credit farmers who somehow have enough money to buy 10 hypercrates at a time on the CM)

- Tagging - love it. But again, reduce the timer on clickies for missions (removing the timer entirely would be even better). I assume though that the loot will not be shared with whoever tags the mob, but just the MISSION loot drops.

- Weapon in outfit slot - great idea but curious how you will manage that for people who have several combat styles - assuming the weapon will still be tied to combat styles, having to have two different outfit slots just for different weapons would be irritating.

Edited by Pricia