Changes and New Features in 7.0

EricMusco

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

I wanted to share some of the new features and changes coming in 7.0 that we haven’t talked about yet. There is a lot to share and the team is really excited to share them with you, some of these we have been eager to talk about for quite some time! Read on :).

Daily and Weekly Mission Reset

First, we’re making some changes to how Daily and Weekly Missions reset. Currently, uncompleted Daily and Weekly Missions sit in that character’s logs until the Mission is completed. Once the Mission is completed, that character can no longer pick up the Weekly again for that week (or daily for that day).

In 7.0, uncompleted Daily and Weekly Missions will be removed from players once the Daily or Weekly reset time passes (currently Tuesday, 12:00am UTC). The primary reason for this change is that we are restructuring the way we present content each week. Weekly Missions will rotate in availability each week in 7.0, and we want to ensure that all players are on the same Weekly Missions each week in order keep those Mission areas feeling dynamic and filled with other people to group or share Mission credit with. This should result in content like Heroic Missions being completed more quickly and efficiently. You can still access Missions that aren’t a part of the rotation if you choose, they will just have reduced rewards.

Alongside this change we will also introduce a number of quality of life improvements, including auto-completing Missions where we are able to when characters are on the turn-in step.

-eric

I can't wait to be forced to do horrible designed daily areas for weekly quests... There is the reason some weekiles aren't being done. There are horribly designed and not fun like Makeb and Rishi.

Economy Adjustments

We have been studying and measuring economic indicators around the game’s economy, specifically in regards to Credit inflation. What this means is that more Credits are being created in the economy than are being spent, which drives the GTN prices upwards over time on all items. One of the steps we’re taking to address this is the reduction of credits awarded by completing Conquests.

We’re also planning on removing Solid Resource Matrix items from Conquest rewards and instead putting them on Jawa vendors available for purchase with Jawa Junk.

This will help address Credit creation issues in the economy. We will be sharing more details on these changes in a follow up post in the near future.

-eric

This is the most brilliant idea you guys have come up with. If you are trying to sell CM items. Not if you trying to fix the broken economy. All this does is force people that aren't billionaires to buy CM items because they won't be able to make credits to buy them from GTN. How about adding some credit sinks? Changing the appearance of your character for credits instead of CC? Leave species swapping as CC. Your EA master won't let you fix the economy only find new ways to push the CM.

Weapons in Outfitter

Finally, we’re excited to share details with you around one of the most requested features of the past several years: Weapons in Outfitter!

Beginning in 7.0, you’ll now be able to use Weapons in a similar way to Armor in our existing Outfitter system. This means you can have one weapon equipped which will determine the stats applied to your character, and stamp the appearance of another weapon of the same type via Outfitter.

Weapons have several properties that are unique to them as compared to Armor. They can have unique audio, Color Crystals, and Weapon Tunings. The weapon assigned to the Outfitter slot, or slots for dual-wielding combat styles, will determine which of these customization options are seen and heard in the game. If a weapon is not assigned to an Outfitter slot, the game will use the options from the currently equipped weapon instead.

The team has been working very hard to make these features a reality, and we’re eager to get them into your hands! You will be able to check some of this out on PTS in the next patch, keep an eye on the PTS forums for more details.

-eric

Are there going to be multi-weapon slots for each outfit or are we going to have to stamp the same armor with different weapon variations? ei If I have X Armor set stamped in Outfit design one and swap from using dual pistol spec to sniper rifle spec what will happen with my weapon design if I have dual pistol stamped in outfit design one?

- Weapon in outfit slot - great idea but curious how you will manage that for people who have several combat styles - assuming the weapon will still be tied to combat styles, having to have two different outfit slots just for different weapons would be irritating.

I'd like more info about this too. Many of my characters have more than 8 outfits, which means there wouldn't be enough slots available to make duplicates of them all.

First, we’re making some changes to how Daily and Weekly Missions reset. Currently, uncompleted Daily and Weekly Missions sit in that character’s logs until the Mission is completed. Once the Mission is completed, that character can no longer pick up the Weekly again for that week (or daily for that day).

In 7.0, uncompleted Daily and Weekly Missions will be removed from players once the Daily or Weekly reset time passes (currently Tuesday, 12:00am UTC). The primary reason for this change is that we are restructuring the way we present content each week. Weekly Missions will rotate in availability each week in 7.0, and we want to ensure that all players are on the same Weekly Missions each week in order keep those Mission areas feeling dynamic and filled with other people to group or share Mission credit with. This should result in content like Heroic Missions being completed more quickly and efficiently. You can still access Missions that aren’t a part of the rotation if you choose, they will just have reduced rewards.

This is a steaming pile of horse poop. I LIKE being able to take my time with weeklies. Having them reset every week removes any incentive, what so ever, to start them since I will probably never finish one again. I DON'T LIKE crowded instances. I LIKE having the choice of all the weeklies in the game. You know, choice?

Alongside this change we will also introduce a number of quality of life improvements, including auto-completing Missions where we are able to when characters are on the turn-in step.

More horse poop. Auto complete makes finishing bonus objectives significantly harder and gives next to nothing of value in return. A real quality of life improvement would be to add back all of the Heroic story content that got stripped from Heroics when they became auto complete in 4.0. Let auto complete be a choice! And give us back Travi Pott and Under-moff Benson! Stop whittling the story content down for speed runners!

Economy Adjustments

One of the steps we’re taking to address this is the reduction of credits awarded by completing Conquests.

Another steaming pile of horse poop. Dollars to donuts, this will only affect the players who already don't have much in the way of credits and thus further pricing them out of buying anything of value on the GTN, yet have very little real effect on inflation.

Shared Tagging

Another big improvement supporting the new weekly content rotation is Shared Tagging.

Yay! At long last something good in 7.0! Could you please explain how rare loot will be handled? If a rare drop drops from a mob, do your odds of getting it go down the more people that tag in? For example, in the past when a Rakghoul world boss dropped it's pet and 8 people needed it, I would have 12.5% chance of getting that pet. Do my odds go down to 7.7% if 5 people not in the raid tag in, or do those drops now have a fixed % chance at dropping for everyone?

Weapons in Outfitter

Finally, we’re excited to share details with you around one of the most requested features of the past several years: Weapons in Outfitter!

Beginning in 7.0, you’ll now be able to use Weapons in a similar way to Armor in our existing Outfitter system. This means you can have one weapon equipped which will determine the stats applied to your character, and stamp the appearance of another weapon of the same type via Outfitter.

Yay! Another something to look forward to in 7.0! Two questions though:

1. Will weapon stamps be a part of outfit stamps or will they be their own tab? I'm a fan of having choices and flexibility. While adding them to existing outfit stamps is nice and all, having them be separate is leagues better.

2. Any hope you will at long last fix it so low level world drop items can be dyed in outfit stamps again? Years ago you told us losing that ability was an unintended downside to a "fix" made with outfit stamps and that you would look into it. Have you actually looked into it? Or did you hope we'd forget? I really miss being able to dye those nice, simple pieces of gear.

The team has been working very hard to make these features a reality, and we’re eager to get them into your hands! You will be able to check some of this out on PTS in the next patch, keep an eye on the PTS forums for more details.

If I can figure out how to get the PTS downloaded from Steam I will check them out. Hopefully they all work out much better than the ability prunes that are being pre-alpha tested on PTS right now.

PS Any word on a hood toggle or covert helmet?

Edited by Damask_Rose

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about the quest autocomplete and the specific area thing. I'll have to experience it first.

The economy... that's going to take a while to fix, since the major exploits have kind of had a helping hand in it.

"For 7.0, we are changing this default behavior to be tied to the faction instead. So if a player is attacking an NPC, and another player of the same faction helps kill the NPC whether grouped up or not, both players will share Mission credit and loot on that NPC." THANK YOU! Does this mean that the lockout that currently exists will be gone, or at least gone for faction? If not, that could cause problems like before. I remember that at the start it wasn't a thing, but due to the way the tagging worked, you could have someone innocently try to help, and end up making someone who waited for 10 minuets (or much much longer if there was a line) have to wait longer. That resulted in a lot of players getting yelled at for only trying to help. It also resulted in loads of trolling. Thus the current lockout system was born.

No combat rez in ops and FP. Honestly, that's fine with me. In my raid experience, it's not healthy to rely on such a thing. If someone goes down, it means someone isn't doing their job right. Rarely is it a glitch or bug. In this case, get good. Practice and keep at it. Make sure you are doing your job right. If someone else needs help, help them. Yelling at them isn't helping them.

Weapons in the outfitter. I am SO GLAD for this. I have so many weapons I want to use. I also really want to know how this was pulled off. I know why it was so difficult to do, due to how they function and are tied to the character. So I'm super curious how it was done.

It makes sense for how the "weekly" missions should be even though I no longer can use 2 weeks to finished the 3/3 MM FP weekly.

Economy Adjustments

Good to see you are actually looking into it. Conquest does give a lot of credits so that's probably the best thing you can do without making major change to the GTN.

Shared Tagging

This is BAD.

Random people WILL be "attack once and sit there, watching the actual hard working players do all the work, and take credits".

Also, in an world immersing point of view, people play SOLO for a reason. They don't want random people to ruin their solo play. This game never lack players who help newbies on open world. This game doesn't need this.

Combat Change - Vanish

Guess I'll just use /stuck when random pug mates **** up.

Weapons in Outfitter

Wish come true? In SWTOR?

I love it.

I hope (who am I kidding, they won't) the devs look at tuning operations and flashpoints, because the stealth rez was sometimes the only thing that saved us from a wipe.

What happens if one of your 2 healers go down? Thats an insta wipe. Because the only one who can rez now has to shift off healing.

Shared Tagging

Another big improvement supporting the new weekly content rotation is Shared Tagging.

-eric

I really do not like the idea of weekly missions resetting. I play multiple characters and often just don't get to finish everything on everyone, you know? Especially PvP, which I can only tolerate in small doses.

I also dislike -- I mean really, really dislike -- what seems to be Bioware's bright idea to try and cram everyone in the same daily areas every week. First off, I've maxed rep in some daily areas and don't want to do them anymore. Second, I definitely don't want to compete with other players for quest objectives and/or resources. "Dynamic" is not how I would describe unwanted competition! Shared tagging will indeed alleviate some of the issues, but please also consider these points of competition:

1. Clickable quest objectives. Remember that some players have no concept of "wait your turn" and will simply try and click the fastest no matter who else is waiting, so even a fairy short respawn timer is too long.

2. Gathering nodes. A crowded instance means more competition and ultimately fewer materials available to gather per player.

3. Mob harvesting. Shared tagging may let players share loot drops, but what happens if both people who killed the mob want to harvest it?

4. Treasure chests. They are always a nice little thing to come across, and I know not all areas have them, but in a crowded instance your chance of getting one drops drastically.

I realize that the last three won't be considered a big deal, but combine all these issues and it makes instances "filled with other people" quite unappealing for me.

Weapons in the outfit designer do look quite nice though! I hope that they won't be removing proficiencies associated with base classes, though. How I would love to be able to have a regular lightsaber on my Shadow (if for no reason other than to not look utterly absurd in some cutscenes).

Edited by Gwena
typo

I don’t like the weekly changes.

While I welcome most of the other changes, and will be very curious to experiment with weapons in my outfit, I cannot say I'm a fan of weekly resets.

Weekly resets is not alt-friendly, and I've more than a few alts. Also, if you're coming up against the weekly reset and are about to start an activity that is in the current week's rotation, clear your calendar, folks, because your butt will be in that chair until you finish, otherwise you're starting from scratch.

Deadlines are for jobs. This is a game.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Do not care about resets and other stuff.

Why. Why in all heavens destroy vanish? The iconic class ability? It works perfectly 10 years and NOW you decided to take it away?

I cannot express enough how I dissappointed with all the combat and gameplay changes. Just close the servers, it will be honest at least.

Hey folks,

We’re also planning on removing Solid Resource Matrix items from Conquest rewards and instead putting them on Jawa vendors available for purchase with Jawa Junk.

This will help address Credit creation issues in the economy. We will be sharing more details on these changes in a follow up post in the near future.

-eric

As someone whose profit partly comes from selling Solid Resource Matrix on the GTN, this change does not put a dent in my profit.

Unless you're planning on selling this for 1000 a pop, this change does the exact opposite for those who are currently sitting on thousands of Jawa Junk, like me.

So really I'm just going to pick up where I left off, sell all the Jawa Junk I have for SRM and sell those on the GTN and make a profit. And I'm just gonna deconstruct even more to get more Jawa Junk to buy more SRM to sell on the GTN and maintain my profit, perhaps even increase it. Even if it was 1000, heck even 9000 a pop, it doesn't matter since I can always regenerate that from deconstructing all of the endgame gear, world drops, and the legendary gear I don't want (if that will even be the case, which won't change too much regardless). Heck, even the login dailies will help me get there! Even if there was a system to prevent this/limit the amount of Jawa Junk given, I make around an average 6-10 million by selling some SRM I get from two guilds weekly, so all you're gonna remove is 10 million credits worth of profit out of my pocket: Nothing compared to the tens of Hypercrates being sold at 2 billion+ right now.

So really your entire argument of "Addressing Credit creation issues in the economy" (if that was even the case in the first place) is now gone because I found a loophole in the system

So really this virtual dilemma of credit creation if you somehow still consider this claim as valid anymore is now even worse than before because, according to your logic, I'm technically contributing to credit inflation by selling more SRM on the GTN. You can't ban me because I got all that Jawa Junk fairly through deconstruction and through the login dailies; combine this with the fact that I along with many others are too dumb enough to understand the game's code well enough to hack in some extra credits, Junk, or Cartel items. And now the credit inflation problem is even harder to manage because more trustworthy people are utilizing what they have at their disposal to make as much of a profit as possible, because everything is being sold at outrageous and near-insurmountable prices.

What are you gonna do, ban them because they were making the most out of what rules & boundaries you gave them?

Checkmate, Bioware.

Shared Tagging

This is BAD.

Random people WILL be "attack once and sit there, watching the actual hard working players do all the work, and take credits".

Also, in an world immersing point of view, people play SOLO for a reason. They don't want random people to ruin their solo play. This game never lack players who help newbies on open world. This game doesn't need this.

Not sure if you’ve played other MMOs like GW2, but that’s not what happens there. Everyone jumps in and fights and that’s how the quests are built.

I guess if you want a truely solo experience with no interference it may be an issue. But I can’t see that being a major drama for the majority of players.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

there are some great changes come. for some we are waiting for years. great that they will come,

but here are some of my thoughts about them:

[...]

the thoughts about that is right, but i think that this is a bad idea. if you don't restructure some weekly missions, you will not complete some of them. for example the pvp and gsf weeklies are hard to finish, if you are not playing during prime time on some servers. even during prime time, there are servers with low pop ups, even in regs. so sometimes is needs more than one week to finish the weekly. with your changes, you can't finish them at all. and there are some more of these quests, you keep willingly in your board. this also takes out some spice of the conquest.

[...]

Economy Adjustments

reducing the rewards from the conquest won't change anything i think. by just lowering the income, you can't change the system, you just make it harder for more casual like players to grind for some stuff from the gtn. do you want some ideas?

- let players buy gametime for credits. for example 2 billion credits for a week of full subscription (without 500km). this could bring in more players being active and grinding, because they want to have the subscription. and the players with hundreds of billions may spend their billions on that. so more activity and you take out money.

- let players buy usefull stuff with credits. include vendors selling usefull buff food for some higher prices. add rxp boosts with 5times the amount of actual ones and increase the costs. so for example 1 million per boost. so that you reach rank 999 faster. include chaos boost to vendors for higher prices, to get the credits from achievement hunters. more vendors more usefull items, or shiny stuff. not just one-time-stuff, like the dantooine one.

-----------

please keep in mind, that reducing the income from some minor quests, won't change anything. it may slower the inflation a bit, but it won't change the system. also moving materials from a to b won't change anything, because these materials don't have any effect on the inflations, they just change the owner of the credits, minus the 8% gtn fee.

if you want to fight the inflation, we need worthy stuff to buy with credits from a vendor, not a player.

[...]

Shared Tagging

this is just great, hope it will work for all, very soon.

for example there are some quests at the moment, like the pub quest on alderaan, when another player hits the last droid, the actual player won't finish his quest. it also works if you heal the player with the active quest, to force him to reset the quest. this is annoying even if player would like to help you. and it may reduce some toxic flaming.

------

be aware of the game mechanics. some world bosses have specific mechanics, some stuff would be unfair. for example if you help a group killing dread tooth with 10 stacks, by just putting affliction on it and get the item to summon the bonus boss. that could be a way to grief groups in a different way.

or the world boss on voss. you are a group of 16, another player helps and because of shared tagging all wipe. especially the "unique" loot needs to be locked in a certain way, to not farm the spots.

[...]

Combat Change - Vanish

i think it is enough to keep the players infight. disabling combat rezz for all classes but healing speccs is not an good idea at all, especially in beginner groups.

[...]

Weapons in Outfitter

great to hear that. so finally cartel market weapons are making sense.

Edited by fabsus

Why do you take away player's freedom and options with the weekly changes? People with lots of alts or even the ones with limited playtime would be punished by having their progress WIPED at every week's reset. There's just too many factors on why people save up and plan their weeklies and one of them is conquest. I can list EVERYTHING wrong with it but other players have already stated it across this thread.

And then there's the cramming people into specific area. Whatever happened to choice? Remember "play your way"? What about toons that haven't made it far in the story, having most daily weeklies locked out? Like someone else said..... 1 step forward, 10 steps backwards.

Or maybe it's still early to rage. I just don't like what I'm seeing here.

Edited by vianiel

The Vanish change is huge. I suspect this has something to do with Loadouts and the access to more Combat Styles, but "cheesing mechanics" is widely used, adds a layer of complexity to the game and has been a thing for a long time. A lot of raiders and flashpoint speedsters will be pissed to learn that, and PvP gets untouched why? You're already throwing balance out the window with the class changes so this is a perfect opportunity to buff defensives for stealth classes, are you that afraid of the overly vocal PvP community?

Vanish and Combat Rez changes definitely seem rather short-sighted from my viewpoint...

I'd much rather see the removal of revive and everybody given a combat rez with the following changes:

1) Operations have a 2/5 limit per boss encounter, measured on the boss itself to allow the limit to reset when they do.

2) Everybody loses Revive but has a combat revive instead.

By doing this you'd prevent delay on progression operations 'waiting for combat rezzes' as well as removing the onus on healers to be responsible for it. But more importantly you'd stop healers in 3 dps 1 healer flashpoints from being unfairly victimized in that they're going to be the only ones who cannot be revived in combat, since nobody else in the group will be able to (which, again, is unfair considering the absence of a tank in that COMMON scenario).

Finally, with revive gone you can use the medical probe tech you already have to allow players to use it to rez themselves in the situations when other players would be doing it, meaning if 3 are dead and 1 survives, all 3 can revive simultaneously (avoiding the fun 'chain rez' when you have all non-healer classes putting their revive onto a 15 min cd). It'd prevent stealth rezzing too and just be a better solution overall.

Finally, as for vanish being altered wouldn't it be better to have an effect that if someone vanishes out, whatever ability was targetting them at the time just 'goes off' instead of being interrupted/stopped? Surely then you wouldn't need to drastically alter the vanish in the way you are doing.

Weapons in Outfitter

This is great news! Thank you!

Please consider adding more outfit slots. There are a lot of cartel market outfits and 16 slots are not enough.

Also, please consider adding [HEROIC 4] The Alchemy of Evil/Uprooting the Last Seed and [HEROIC 4] The Shroud’s Last Stand/The Shroud Revealed as weekly quests. Right now it's hard to find a group for these quests.

Weapons in Outfitter

Weapons have several properties that are unique to them as compared to Armor. They can have unique audio, Color Crystals, and Weapon Tunings. The weapon assigned to the Outfitter slot, or slots for dual-wielding combat styles, will determine which of these customization options are seen and heard in the game. If a weapon is not assigned to an Outfitter slot, the game will use the options from the currently equipped weapon instead.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

THE BEST NEWS IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!!

When will it be on PTR?

And ofc more Outfit slots, I need 32.

Edited by Alithia

Finally, as for vanish being altered wouldn't it be better to have an effect that if someone vanishes out, whatever ability was targetting them at the time just 'goes off' instead of being interrupted/stopped? Surely then you wouldn't need to drastically alter the vanish in the way you are doing.

Would be a good way to go, instead of having this weird discrepancy between Flashpoints+Operations and PvP+Open World(maybe heroics too? chapters? heroic star fortresses? who knows). You could also leave it as it is, since it's been in the game forever.

As for stealthing out and changing loadouts, just put a 10 seconds cooldown on changing a loadout after exiting combat.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Shared Tagging

Does this change mean the following:

One 20 man grp applies 10 stacks of Essence on Dreadtooth.

Person X waits and after they pull waits some time and attacks the boss without being in grp.

Does that mean they can get Amulet or Mask ?

Cus then this is easly abused to steal loot imo

Would be nice to get more info and conditions for Shared tagging to apply on certain person entering combat with boss.

Even worse is

Group or guild does all preparation and makes it possible to do Ancient Threat. Some random person comes by and attcacks boss when its 3% and then gets all decos from loot....

Edited by lorddjole

An issue with the shared tagging I just thought of. If you have 10 people waiting for a quest mob that is standard or weak and when it respawn sit gets murdered so fast that only half the people can damage it before it dies, who all will get credit? Another one is the quests like the Pub one on Onderon. You have to beat down a mob to a certain percentage of life and then use an object to disable/control/etc. Who gets the mob credit there and what keeps grieving from happening since they are planning on forcing everyone into the same weekly areas? Edited by Darcmoon

The Vanish change seems like a good one. Too many mechanics are completely avoided by using Vanish, often forcing groups to take at least one Assassin tank. I'm fine with some tanks being better at some fights, but having one kind of tank more or less required for a certain fight is imo bad design.

I'm interested in how weapons in outfit designer will interact with Combat Styles though. Say I have a Juggernaut/Assassin. If I slap a Single Saber on an outfit, will I still be able to use that outfit while in Assassin Combat Style? If I can use it, do I get to choose which Double-bladed lightsaber gets used or is it the one I have equipped?

Shared tagging seems just good. There might be some edge cases where it doesn't quite work and you'll still be left vulnerable to griefing, but this is definitely better than the current system in every single way.

Edited by AdjeYo

Hey folks,

Economy Adjustments

We have been studying and measuring economic indicators around the game’s economy, specifically in regards to Credit inflation. What this means is that more Credits are being created in the economy than are being spent, which drives the GTN prices upwards over time on all items. One of the steps we’re taking to address this is the reduction of credits awarded by completing Conquests.

-eric

Players GREED This you can't fix

But you can fix by adjusting the supply of items that are on high demand:

Vendors with in game currency selling those items at fixed price :)

Whenever you create something unique( and hard to obtain), YOU create inflation, Cartel Market is the source

Whenever you create something unique but at fixed price and obtainable through in game currency, the price won't rise above that you have fixed (still i can see on GTN the companion gifts at higher pirce then vendors) so no inflation.

You could make vendors for rare items. fix the prices and reduce the credits earned by doing things by a factor of some kind.

It s hard to make an price high if the item is obtainable at many ways by the player and that can hurt the Cartel Market logic

Edited by Nebdar

Thank you for all of these changes that are being made. While I do appreciate the attention BioWare is giving to credit inflation I'm wondering what proof there was that Conquest Credit rewards are a significant part of credit inflation?

My purpose with this post is to inform, not complain or otherwise define how big a problem may be in the eyes of BioWare. You have access to more economic information I may have on the back-end, I can only tell you how the players I know make millions or billions.

While I am a frequent seller of items on the gtn, and a subscriber, I'm genuinely concerned about credit inflation and the ability for BioWare to make sure this is wonderful gaming community for the majority of players.

Thank you.

Unfortunately you are wrong on everything you write. Inflation is an increase of the total money supply. All the things you mention are the result not the cause of inflation

All your examples are in essence transactions of money (credits) from one player to another. There is no increase of credits in total actually even the reverse as the gtn takes a share out of the game.

Ie player 1 has 100 credits, player 2 has zero.

Player 2 crafts something and sells it to player 1 for 100 credits.

End result still 100 credits in the game (- gtn commision) inflation = zero.

The inflation comes exclusively from new credits added to the game (or loot sold for credits to a vendor). It does NOT come from player to player transactions.