Are there penalties for the massive AFK'ing due to Galactic Seasons?

karimthejedi

I am forced to do that content if I want CQ and GS points. I would rather be doing something else, but certain group of people made sure other game modes are not worth anything anymore. So yes I am blaming them, and so should everyone else who is now suffering of the current situation. Attacking people who don't want to be there in the first place is pretty lame.

That certain group of people was a group of maybe 2-3 at most here on the forums, that hardly equates to the whole of the GSF community, so lumping them all in with those few players here on the forums is like lumping you and all solo players in with the people that are admitting here on the forums that they're violating the ToS and intentionally SD'ing repeatedly to make the matches end quicker. Obviously not all solo players do that (I'm a mostly solo player and I don't do that), same goes for GSF players and the changes you're talking about. I'd wager a good portion of them would have no idea what you're even talking about. I only do because I was around at the time and know at least one of the players you're referring to.

As for attacks, if you're at least trying and people are attacking you for that, that is lame. That's all that can be asked for at this point for those that choose to participate in GSF/PVP for CQ or GS, try. If you're not, if you're loading in and just repeatedly SD'ing as some people in this topic are admitting to doing (and that's the main purpose of the thread, people AFK'ing and generally not participating while being in the matches, something that's against the ToS), then you deserve criticism for that. It is against the rules and can be punished, and you shouldn't do it regardless because it's really lame too. That doesn't mean you have to like GSF/PVP in general, doesn't mean you have to be the very best, but at least make an attempt if you are gonna queue up. The players that suffer if you don't likely had nothing to do with the problems you have with this system, especially since the ultimate blame falls on Bioware for all of it. Take it out on them, not other players.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am forced to do that content if I want CQ and GS points.

Except that you aren't. Just in this "Coreward Worlds" themed week alone, there are SIX possible daily priority objectives unrelated to pvp, compared to the two that are. That's a ratio of 3 solo for every 1 pvp. If you play every day, and get lucky on the re-rolls, you can earn 42 points plus 8 as the subscriber bonus for a total of 50 points, free of credit or cartel coin cost. Today's post now reveals the entire Season 1 will last 22 weeks, so you have 116 days to gain the remaining # of levels. Even if you haven't done any stuff in seasons beyond logging in at least 4 days a week, you would have 40 points or five levels. Just logging in for the required 4 days over the next 16 weeks in the season will give you enough points for another 16 levels. So, you have 116 days to acquire an additional 632 points. That's an average of 5.5 points per day, and that's assuming you haven't done anything else besides logging in at this point.

As far as conquest goes, killing insectoids will net you both the 4k "Kill 25" for the planet and the 8k "Kill 50" for the planet. Then you will get 5k for a heroic mission or two dailies, if you are doing that objective. Then you can do kill NPC's on Onderon or MekSha and get up to another 12k points, and potentially 5k more for doing 2 Onderon dailies. That's just the areas of overlap of Conquest and Galactic Seasons. That doesn't even include all of the renown levels you would earn doing all that for another 6k conquest points each, or the once-daily simple stuff like 16k for getting a comp influence level, 2k for placing five SH decos, 2k for five crew skill missions, 2k for harvesting nodes (which is actually infinitely repeatable), or any of the other daily conquest things you could do that don't relate to GS. Plus with this week being Bounty Contract Week, you earn what 15k per day per legacy for a Kingpin and unlimited henchmen at 10k per pop?

I'm sympathetic to the calls for the ability to re-roll more than once, for people who are group-content or pvp averse. Personally, I think there should be a credit cost just like amplifiers, but that's besides the point. Its just insincere to categorize any of Galactic Seasons as being forced upon anyone, or that Galactic Seasons forces you to do anything.

After reading through this "stuff" ... I'm glad I don't even bother with GSF and other PvP .. Man what a mess.

No thanks !! I'll pass !!

I'm actually on the record as saying that in my experience, I see very little intentional sefl-destructing. I think it was a bigger issue before, maybe when a certain round of conquest changes came in, but its not really a widespread problem. So no, this is not a mess.

However, I'm also on the record saying that just because I don't always experience it, that doesn't imply it is a problem that shouldn't be solved. I have been in matches that were very clearly decided by an intentional self destructor and I've used the only relief available, which was to report the player in question. I assign my requisition earned from that unfortunate match, if need be, and queue up again.

Truth be told, I've even experienced less toxicity in ground warzones since Galactic Seasons. I think it is possible that when players come in to try new content, it dilutes the number of toxic people in the queues which makes it less likely to encounter them.

I mean, don't get so intimidated by all this stuff. A vocal minority makes it seem as if anything in this game is an insurmountable mountain. You don't even need to win for the objective to be ticked off.

I'm actually on the record as saying that in my experience, I see very little intentional sefl-destructing. I think it was a bigger issue before, maybe when a certain round of conquest changes came in, but its not really a widespread problem. So no, this is not a mess.

Except I have seen it, several times, on different servers, and worse, I've seen them boasting about it in chat, a few times. Now it could quite possibly be the same person, could be bad luck that they just happen to queue when I did, etc.

But i'll gladly go on the record and say, I have seen it, and seen people boasting about it.

Also in most matches, there is at least one, mostly more, that have no points at all, and just have deaths. Even a new person would have some points, as I've said multiple times, I'm not a great gsf player, but even when I first started, and was really bad, I still had some points.

Widespread, I'm not sure, but it is an issue, and not a small one.

Truth be told, I've even experienced less toxicity in ground warzones since Galactic Seasons. I think it is possible that when players come in to try new content, it dilutes the number of toxic people in the queues which makes it less likely to encounter them.

Funnily enough, I've seen more toxic people in gsf since GS. It was a very rare occurrence before that. Not saying it's as bad as PvP, thankfully, but it does happen

Edited by DarkTergon

At least some small minimum requirement is really needed. I've seen several players sand bagging it recently since i started to pvp again.

Here's my proposal.

You must have a valor rating of 5 (or maybe 10) to get credit for a warzone for conquest, seasons etc.

It's very easy/quick to get to level 5, but it should weed out many of the trolls.

You're auto-nominated for kick/removal , if you get ZERO stats /ZERO medals after 1 round in arena round or 3 minutes on a full map . The kick to be voted on by other players. The system should bring up a message box for voting just like in flashpoints.

Furthermore you become eligible to be kicked by another player if you fail to perform the following:

>Arenas get 2 medals per round OR 100k damage, or 100k healing or 100k protection per round.

>Full maps; 25k per minute of the following damage, healing or protection. The one exception if you have medals for guarding a node. One medal for every 3 minutes if your other stats fall below 25k per minute.

If you're less someone can initiate a kick vote on you.

To be kicked from a warzone

One player must support a kick nomination in an arena.

Two players must support a kick on a full map warzone.

Penalties;

>Players kicked get no credit for the warzone (conquest, seasons etc),

>A 15 minute lockout of requeing,

>A loss of 5000 valor points. The valor rating penalty is to encourage continued good faith participation.

A cumulative negative valor rating may result in a restriction on wz queing.

In an Arena an additional 45 seconds between rounds is given to allow for a team to refill after a sucessful kick.

LMAO. Just no.

I’m a pvper and I can tell you that none of that will work to improve anything. New people get globaled even in ranked and get zero damage or medals. In regs I can one shot people who are lvl 10 and I’m lvl 74. None of what you are suggesting is fair because skills don’t equate to trying your hardest.

Doing what you suggest would make pvp even more toxic than its ever been in this game.

Honestly, I don’t know why we are even debating adding qualifiers. As I’ve said before, the easiest solution is for BioWare to add extra rerolls for people to try and get an activity they enjoy and not one they hate.

Except I have seen it, several times, on different servers, and worse, I've seen them boasting about it in chat, a few times. Now it could quite possibly be the same person, could be bad luck that they just happen to queue when I did, etc.

But i'll gladly go on the record and say, I have seen it, and seen people boasting about it.

Also in most matches, there is at least one, mostly more, that have no points at all, and just have deaths. Even a new person would have some points, as I've said multiple times, I'm not a great gsf player, but even when I first started, and was really bad, I still had some points.

Widespread, I'm not sure, but it is an issue, and not a small one.

Funnily enough, I've seen more toxic people in gsf since GS. It was a very rare occurrence before that. Not saying it's as bad as PvP, thankfully, but it does happen

Not necessarily. My wife is really bad at GSF. She never gets kills and is lucky to do any damage. Half the time her aim percentage is between 0-1%.

She really does try her hardest and often flies into things when she panics. GSF is a game mode she should never have to play because she doesn’t have the skill set (and I doubt she ever will). She’s never played a FPS, which is basically what GSF is.

It seems the more she plays it, the worse she’s getting too, which is just upsetting her cause I’ve gone through all the targeting and stuff with her too.

Maybe if there was a proper free flight tutorial that showed her how every part of GSF worked and had a pve practice to go with it, she might get better over time. The current tutorial is really bad.

In GSF, if you try to ram opposing players...not lock on with missiles or shoot, but literally just RAM them...does that show up on their warning systems in game?

That's what I think about when I see people talk about kamikaze runs.

In GSF, if you try to ram opposing players...not lock on with missiles or shoot, but literally just RAM them...does that show up on their warning systems in game?

As far as I know, RAMMING a player doesn’t do anything to them or you

Not necessarily. My wife is really bad at GSF. She never gets kills and is lucky to do any damage. Half the time her aim percentage is between 0-1%.

I was the same, but even with that , she should still get some points, not kills. AFAIK you get points in DM just for hitting, what I was talking about was people with 0 points. People who don't try. TBH, I don't think I've ever gotten more than 15% aim, even when I've managed a few kills. I just shoot like a madman and hope they hit...lol

She really does try her hardest and often flies into things when she panics. GSF is a game mode she should never have to play because she doesn’t have the skill set (and I doubt she ever will). She’s never played a FPS, which is basically what GSF is.

I fully agree, there is a reason I don't play games like this, I kill myself (not intentionally) more than others...lol

It seems the more she plays it, the worse she’s getting too, which is just upsetting her cause I’ve gone through all the targeting and stuff with her too.

And that is one of the reason why I've agreed with what you , and others have said multiple times, we need more choice, need other options

As far as I know, RAMMING a player doesn’t do anything to them or you

no, you can't, you just fly through them. it's like on mounts, you can't hit each other like that (had one match where someone was stopped, and I stopped at the same location, so we couldn't hit each other.

Edited by DarkTergon

I was the same, but even with that , she should still get some points, not kills. AFAIK you get points in DM just for hitting, what I was talking about was people with 0 points. People who don't try. TBH, I don't think I've ever gotten more than 15% aim, even when I've managed a few kills. I just shoot like a madman and hope they hit...lol

I fully agree, there is a reason I don't play games like this, I kill myself (not intentionally) more than others...lol

And that is one of the reason why I've agreed with what you , and others have said multiple times, we need more choice, need other options

no, you can't, you just fly through them. it's like on mounts, you can't hit each other like that (had one match where someone was stopped, and I stopped at the same location, so we couldn't hit each other.

There are matches where she gets 0 for everything. And it really upsets her cause I watch her try her hardest. But often gets matched against teams with players who 1 shot her and they have 10+ kills.

There really needs to be extra rerolls added for GS to be more player fair for people who have no skill set for certain play type and never will.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

There are matches where she gets 0 for everything. And it really upsets her cause I watch her try her hardest. But often gets matched against teams with players who 1 shot her and they have 10+ kills.

There really needs to be extra rerolls added for GS to be more player fair for people who have no skill set for certain play type and never will.

The extreme advantage GSF vets have over newcomers was a problem many people posted about as far back as GSF Beta. I was one of them. Post history somewhere.

It might be easier now, to get into it, with the daily login rewards. Make sure to choose the free GSF points that let you buy more ships / parts on the same character every month. It may take six months or so to build up points to max out a ship, but that will help with (at least) the equipment imbalance.

Edited by Darev

I fully agree, and support that. I always thought you got points for hitting, even when bad. (and I include myself in there..lol)

I understand her frustration, I've been in the matches where we've teams of players who have maxed ships versus those just starting. And I've been one shot myself.

Also, please tell your wife, that most decent people/players don't care, as long as she tries, don't stress over it

Edited by DarkTergon

What does your wife typically fly: strike fighter, scout, bomber, or gunship? If it is a strike or scout then I would suggest avoiding those. Strikes and scouts are the dogfight ships. They are the ones that move fast and get in close to hit quickly. That style of play takes some skill and I can definitely say that I absolutely suck at it. Bombers do get into firefights on occasion, but one of the greatest contributions are the mines and turrets they drop. Gunships are the snipers of GSF. They will often sit stationary and can hit targets at the furthest distance (150000 m). I usually fly a gunship because I absolutely suck a flying and with a gunship I often sit stationary hitting targets from afar. Of course, if a strike or scout get in close and focus me I generally die very quickly, but if I can get them at range I can often kill them before they get to me.

Vulkk has a beginners guide to GSF that has a lot of tips about ship builds, info about controls, etc. I still stand by my statement that one does not have to do these in order to complete the season, but I know you have some time constraints, so if your wife is going to do GSF maybe this guild will help to alleviate some of the stress.

https://vulkk.com/2018/02/01/swtor-galactic-starfighter-guide-beginners/

I think what they need to do for season 2 is more diversity and greater segregation of the three play styles. There should be daily and weekly objectives for group PVE, solo PVE, and PVP. If one were able to select the grouping they wanted then the randomness of the PO would matter much less.

You shouldn't get stuck with operations. I rerolled to get rid of starfighter and got stuck with operations. Not one of the guilds I am in will even talk about operations. Should have to opt in to get toperations quest.

Right now they have dailies that say do 3 heroics one of three planets. Make the weekly be do 3 heroics on all 3 planets instead of operations pvp or starfighter for those of us who don't do those things.

And kill 75 insectoids on Balmorra vs do 3 heroics are not equivalent in time spent. The heroics need to be worth 6 points not 3.

Maybe if there was a proper free flight tutorial that showed her how every part of GSF worked and had a pve practice to go with it, she might get better over time. The current tutorial is really bad.

Believe me, I feel your wife's pain. I'm actually enjoying GSF a lot more than I expected, but I'm still pretty terrible. I would love a good way to practice on my own outside of a game.

For what it's worth, I will second ceryxp's advice to try bombers (especially the Warcarrier/Legion) and gunships, if she hasn't already. If she's willing to watch a few short videos, the Movement 101, Weapons 101, and Survival 101 videos on the GSF School YouTube channel were very helpful to me. As ceryxp mentioned, Jinnora's beginner's guide on Vulkk.com is also full of helpful information.

Edited by Hudlar

That certain group of people was a group of maybe 2-3 at most here on the forums, that hardly equates to the whole of the GSF community, so lumping them all in with those few players here on the forums is like lumping you and all solo players in with the people that are admitting here on the forums that they're violating the ToS and intentionally SD'ing repeatedly to make the matches end quicker. Obviously not all solo players do that (I'm a mostly solo player and I don't do that), same goes for GSF players and the changes you're talking about. I'd wager a good portion of them would have no idea what you're even talking about. I only do because I was around at the time and know at least one of the players you're referring to.

As for attacks, if you're at least trying and people are attacking you for that, that is lame. That's all that can be asked for at this point for those that choose to participate in GSF/PVP for CQ or GS, try. If you're not, if you're loading in and just repeatedly SD'ing as some people in this topic are admitting to doing (and that's the main purpose of the thread, people AFK'ing and generally not participating while being in the matches, something that's against the ToS), then you deserve criticism for that. It is against the rules and can be punished, and you shouldn't do it regardless because it's really lame too. That doesn't mean you have to like GSF/PVP in general, doesn't mean you have to be the very best, but at least make an attempt if you are gonna queue up. The players that suffer if you don't likely had nothing to do with the problems you have with this system, especially since the ultimate blame falls on Bioware for all of it. Take it out on them, not other players.

Fair enough, but to me it appears that it's those people who ruined my game and my content and naturally that affects on how I feel about gsf and gsf players in general. That includes that I don't even want to learn gsf now because of them, while I might have been interested a year ago. I don't want to be associated with people like them in any way.

What comes to suiciding, I think I've said it in a couple of posts before: I don't care if someone does it, it's not my problem, and the match will be over faster so that's good. I definitely can't blame anyone for doing that, and I understand why they do it. When I go for a match, I fly towards the battle and if someone is close enough I'll shoot. I only SD if someone shoots at me, because I'm gonna die anyway. I don't want to give them the satisfaction of killing me, when they have fully geared ships and maybe years of experience, while I can't even fly straight.

Someone mentioned the not contributing message earlier. I have even gotten that when I'm still on my way from respawn to where everyone else is. I would say it's pretty tight, and I can see why that also leads to people flying into asteroids.

You shouldn't get stuck with operations. I rerolled to get rid of starfighter and got stuck with operations. Not one of the guilds I am in will even talk about operations. Should have to opt in to get toperations quest.

Right now they have dailies that say do 3 heroics one of three planets. Make the weekly be do 3 heroics on all 3 planets instead of operations pvp or starfighter for those of us who don't do those things.

And kill 75 insectoids on Balmorra vs do 3 heroics are not equivalent in time spent. The heroics need to be worth 6 points not 3.

This is something I touched on above. In this season BW has established that killing 75 mobs or completing 3 heroics is the same as 1 unranked warzone or 1 GSF match, so why do they have weeklies but the solo PVE objectives do not? Just like it is 1 GSF match for the daily and 4 for the weekly, solo PVE should have kill 75 mobs / insectoids for the daily and kill 300 for the weekly, or 3 heroics for the daily and 9 for the weekly.

These are really simple ideas, BW, you should be thinking of this stuff yourself.

A lot of people didn't see the dev post yesterday since the Discord bot is having technical problems:

Galactic Seasons - S1 Check In

The gist is that Season 1 ends on September 28th and they are happy with the season 1 PO system where they intentionally chose a "trimmed down" selection of objectives and won't change it until season 2.

Means we have another 3 months of AFKers and suiciders playing the victim card in the forums about how they spoil the game for others because they believe they are forced to act that way "we can't have fun so nobody else can either". At least it will encourage more people to go out and enjoy the weather :)

Edited by UlaVii

A lot of people didn't see the dev post yesterday since the Discord bot is having technical problems:

Galactic Seasons - S1 Check In

The gist is that Season 1 ends on September 28th and they are happy with the season 1 PO system where they intentionally chose a "trimmed down" selection of objectives and won't change it until season 2.

Means we have another 3 months of AFKers and suiciders playing the victim card in the forums about how they spoil the game for others because they believe they are forced to act that way "we can't have fun so nobody else can either". At least it will encourage more people to go out and enjoy the weather :)

But that's exactly what you are doing now: playing the victim card and blaming others. Why is it okay for you to do that but not okay when someone else does?

You are not having fun, we (the people who don't know how to play gsf) are not having fun, no-one is having fun. I don't understand why your fun would be more important than someone else's. Seems pretty equal that no-one is having fun, don't you think. As long as the objectives are there (CQ and GS), we are allowed to join and be as bad at it as we want to.

Edited by DeannaVoyager

Believe me, I feel your wife's pain. I'm actually enjoying GSF a lot more than I expected, but I'm still pretty terrible. I would love a good way to practice on my own outside of a game.

For what it's worth, I will second ceryxp's advice to try bombers (especially the Warcarrier/Legion) and gunships, if she hasn't already. If she's willing to watch a few short videos, the Movement 101, Weapons 101, and Survival 101 videos on the GSF School YouTube channel were very helpful to me. As ceryxp mentioned, Jinnora's beginner's guide on Vulkk.com is also full of helpful information.

Thanks for the advice, I know you guys are only trying to help (and it’s appreciated), but it’s an uphill battle to get her to watch YouTube stuff.

And I just found out she didn’t know how to use the gunships right mouse button to aim the secondary weapon :eek:

She was watching me play a match and asked how I kept “zooming” in to take plasma shots,

And in her defence, it’s not intuitive if you’ve never played a first person shooter with a sniper rifle and there is nothing in any of the tutorials on how the different weapons systems work or how to activate them. I’m still trying to work out one the purchased bombers secondary weapons systems. The one that shoots a mine. Do I have to lock onto the target or is it a free hand shot, it doesn’t make any noise or change colour when I try it,

Bombers and Gunships are a little too complex for my wife’s skill sets and she’s not the sort of player who will go to YouTube to watch a video. She would rather not play or rage at Bioware for not showing it in the tutorial.

That would be an absolute bear for the pace of starfighter combat at for anything above LAN latency. If everything in the game is extremely local, you don't get the "Wait, what just happened?" problem that this mechanic crossed with 200+ms ping would mean.

The closest thing we've got to an extensive hands-on tutorial for GSF is probably a copy of Freelancer because the core gameplay is free flight/gimballed weapons with resource management.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

Thanks for the advice, I know you guys are only trying to help (and it’s appreciated), but it’s an uphill battle to get her to watch YouTube stuff.

Tell her not to stress over it, it's not that important. All that's important is that she relaxes and enjoys the game. She's trying her best, that's what matters. I've played a lot of gsf matches, and I still die a lot. I've no interest in watching youtube videos either, I'm not interested in becoming an ace. Maybe next season they'll have more choices for the casual player.

And in her defence, it’s not intuitive if you’ve never played a first person shooter with a sniper rifle and there is nothing in any of the tutorials on how the different weapons systems work or how to activate them.

She would rather not play or rage at Bioware for not showing it in the tutorial.

Now this is 100% accurate. The GSF tutorial is utter bollocks.

I can understand your wife's rage. I really wanted to like GSF but then when I tried it I realized just how rubbish the tutorial is, how it does nothing to prepare one to enter a match, and just how unnecessarily steep the learning curve is. Hopefully they will make changes to the dailies for season 2.

Edited by ceryxp

Now this is 100% accurate. The GSF tutorial is utter bollocks.

I can understand your wife's rage. I really wanted to like GSF but then when I tried it I realized just how rubbish the tutorial is, how it does nothing to prepare one to enter a match, and just how unnecessarily steep the learning curve is. Hopefully they will make changes to the dailies for season 2.

someone already posted the dev tracker stating that they purposely made the PO options "narrow" in season 1 because they wanted to funnel players into other areas of the game (read: pvp/gsf, group content). they knew there was going to be a lot of ruffled feathers. it was a conscious choice. they've already stated that season 2 will have more options and that season 1 isn't changing.

I thought the link to the post was in this thread, but anyway...it's on the dev tracker.