So we just accept the advertising bar now?

Lundorff

I stand by what I said, and the comments after proved me right. The argument that this update is gamebreaking, awful, have empathy for our plight etc...is completely tossed aside so long as it's some OTHER group of players who have to deal with it, conveniently, the ones who don't have a voice even on the forum. And, if a certain poster is reading this: I don't need the rationalization spelled out, it was obvious. Own your words instead of passing them off as "ackshually, hypothetically speaking..."

If you want empathy, don't restrict it to those in your in-group, and likewise, pick your enemies. F2P and pref did not ask for the bar. Those of us who don't have a major issue with it didn't ask for it either, we're just making the best of it. BW did it, so direct your anger at BW, NOT at F2Pers and NOT at other forumites.

Furthermore, you claim that this is so terrible...but not so terrible that you are willing to actually do anything about it. Phazon made a real-world reference to extreme protesters, but I disagree with this comparison. Protesters, regardless of the issue, DO stuff. They take risks. The folks here are social media slacktivists. Comments on this forum are not 'action' or 'pressure'. They're just noise.

Even on the PTS forum - the forum explicitly designed for BW to hear feedback (hey, why do we have any other kind again?) - feedback, like on this update, was ignored. That should have given you an idea of the usefulness of commenting, but instead folks simply double down on the rhetoric, like if you're extra passionate, BW will pay attention to you.

The thread asks "so we just accept the advertising bar now?" If you're just here to vent and shout down apathetic players, then the answer is YES. If you want to take direct action, that's a different conversation.

Edited by Ardrossan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had a rolling sub in a long time, just used time cards, or kept using the 2 month one time payment, but it has gotten to the point where I wonder every two months if I should bother getting it again. Was thinking about other MMO's but I hate to start from scratch, and leave all I've built up over the years. With things going downhill all the time, maybe I'll reach that point :/

I'm not sure if I've quite got to that point … but due to circumstances beyond my control … I've just spent the last 30 - 45 minutes:

*** consolidating all inventories

*** moving all characters to two selected SH … (depending upon armor progression / assorted related activities.

*** reducing the on hand credits / funds / inventories to 3 mil each (plus necessities as dictated by character / locations)

*** Pulling ALL items off of the GTN and placing in an organized fashion in Legacy storage …

*** taking screen shots of said inventories ….

still a couple of more details to follow up on this afternoon !!

IMO … not because of the new item added to the UI (as I have personally attempted to be as supportive as possible) … but other specific reasons that it's quite apparent that someone wants silenced !!

Edited by OlBuzzard

Those in the thread that want us to do something about the ad bar:

What is it you want us to do?

Complain to a company that has repeatedly shown it doesn't care about what its paying customers say?

Ragequit SWTOR after enduring a lot worse of the abuse that Bioware has handed out?

Ignore all of the bugs that are years old and bad mechanics to focus on this issue?

I'm not sure if I've quite got to that point … but due to circumstances beyond my control … I've just spent the last 30 - 45 minutes:

*** consolidating all inventories

*** moving all characters to two selected SH … (depending upon armor progression / assorted related activities.

*** reducing the on hand credits / funds / inventories to 3 mil each (plus necessities as dictated by character / locations)

*** Pulling ALL items off of the GTN and placing in an organized fashion in Legacy storage …

*** taking screen shots of said inventories ….

still a couple of more details to follow up on this afternoon !!

IMO … not because of the new item added to the UI (as I have personally attempted to be as supportive as possible) … /snip

Who watches the watchers, because no one here appears to. Tried messaging eric, but he seems to ignore all communication. Plenty of people have been silenced for no reason :/

Complain to a company that has repeatedly shown it doesn't care about what its paying customers say?

Complaining on the forum is obv useless. I think I said that a few times.

Ragequit SWTOR after enduring a lot worse of the abuse that Bioware has handed out?

Ragequitting implies that you make a goodbye thread denouncing BW, predicting imminent doom and dramatically insisting this is the last we'll see of OP "unless real change happens".

What I suggest is, instead of doing that, make a pact with as many players as you can. 35-50 should be statistically significant. Then you unsubscribe at the same time on the same issue, AND keep unsubscribed until the issue is resolved. Write a group letter which each of you will put in the "unsubscribe comments" box, or whatever it's called.

Emphasize the reasons that have led you to this point, and try to avoid making them too wordy [ideally, the size of my post or shorter] or too...trivial. Like this thread, I mean. For example, avoid giving readers the impression that what you really need is a shoulder to cry on.

That is, point out that the ad bar is callously demanding money from players during a time of global pandemic when individual player finances are low. That it is corporate ableism, affecting the ability of disadvantaged and disabled players to play the game, and that it has a negative impact on mental well-being, especially for those with pre-existing conditions like OCD.

When you are done listing how problematic the ad bar is, you need to get the messaging out. As someone else said, persuade one of the trashy gaming tabloids (kotaku comes to mind) to publish the letter. There are other places you could put it, potentially: the key here is to harness the power of "Cancel Culture" to make BW look bad, which shouldn't be that difficult.

Ignore all of the bugs that are years old and bad mechanics to focus on this issue?

Not at all! Include those in your letter. imo it would probably be taken more seriously if people didn't think you quit because you were forced to click minimize once a week for every char. But if you want the ad bar removed, then the emphasis should be on that, not other gripes.

Edited by Ardrossan

Ragequit will never work.

I have been as genuine as possible over this matter.

I still say that there has to be some sort of answer as to why this new "addition" works for some ( being able to minimize … etc and keep out of the way) and for others there are some sort of real issues.

I am not angry with anyone … Yet the answer to this single question seems to be illusive.

NO .. the new addition is not going away. It's just that simple.

Yet there is also the undeniable fact that the original UI seems to be very stable in its current format. The new addition not so. By that I mean it is working quite well for some of us. ( It is doing quite well for me). That does NOT mean that everyone is sharing that same experience.

WHY ?

There must be an explanation.

I'm not trying to take sides … nor take on the appearance of the "white knight" !

As for what we have or (have not) asked for … keep in mind that there are a lot of good things that we have received that were not asked for.

I'm still hesitant for posting this … again … but IMO the matter of why the new "bar" works for some and not others is a solid question that really should be answered.

I'm still hesitant for posting this … again … but IMO the matter of why the new "bar" works for some and not others is a solid question that really should be answered.

This is important, cause if it's just a setting, hardware conflict, or whatever is causing, and it can be fixed, it would lessen the issue for some. Not all, but at least some. The silence from the community manager & team is deafening.

It is quite moveable. I keep mine at the very top just to the left of the center. It's pretty much out of the way. Problem is that sometimes it does wonder off from the point I set it up but NOT very often. Truth is I have very few issues with this. (please don't throw the old man under the buss … I'm just being honest).

I will agree that I have very few issues with it. I just have no use for it, and it messed with my UI setup. The Interface editor allows for things to be flush with the screen, while the new one has some form of margin. For something that is meant to be on an edge... please don't force a margin.

But if I was to breakdown critiques of the three tabs

Next critical path: I really like this addition, the only MAJOR criticism I have is that it just shows nothing at times if you have no critical path. Maybe the current group finder op should go here if that is the case?

Conquest: I actually like this at the start of the week, it gives a quick notice of what it is, and I am usually not checking it at least for a day just by happenstance before. Not a huge use later into the week, but worth its slot.

Cartel market: Going to be straightforward with this... I don't need it. I check the cartel market proper every day after they added the flash sales. I like seeing what the main flash sale is there for some reason. It is also an extra thing to do while going from point A to point B.

So yeah... I don't mind the purpose, just the implementation is pretty lackluster. Maybe should have stayed in the cooker longer...

TL;DR

GET RID OF THE DANG MARGIN AND LET ME PUT IT FLUSH. That is all.

I wouldn't say accept, but it's like all the other small annoyances that have creeped up over the years. You can post all you want, but you can't force Bioware to make changes. That conquest banner still pops up mid-combat for example. Bioware doesn't listen to testers on the PTS, why do you think they'll pay any attention to forum posters?

It's just one more thing to go into my mental list as a 'con' when deciding if renewing my sub is worth it or not.

Yes this is it exactly. Do I want it gone? Yes. Will I stop playing because of it? lol NO. Once you say say your piece about it barking like an angry dog won't change it. Wait til next patch. If it is still there then we can complain again.

I will agree that I have very few issues with it. I just have no use for it, and it messed with my UI setup. The Interface editor allows for things to be flush with the screen, while the new one has some form of margin. For something that is meant to be on an edge... please don't force a margin.

But if I was to breakdown critiques of the three tabs

Next critical path: I really like this addition, the only MAJOR criticism I have is that it just shows nothing at times if you have no critical path. Maybe the current group finder op should go here if that is the case?

Conquest: I actually like this at the start of the week, it gives a quick notice of what it is, and I am usually not checking it at least for a day just by happenstance before. Not a huge use later into the week, but worth its slot.

Cartel market: Going to be straightforward with this... I don't need it. I check the cartel market proper every day after they added the flash sales. I like seeing what the main flash sale is there for some reason. It is also an extra thing to do while going from point A to point B.

So yeah... I don't mind the purpose, just the implementation is pretty lackluster. Maybe should have stayed in the cooker longer...

TL;DR

GET RID OF THE DANG MARGIN AND LET ME PUT IT FLUSH. That is all.

IMO … the entire affair could easily be solved if the new addition were made to be customizable with the rest. Or at the least simply find out what is creating the difficulties which are reflected by the inconsistences in the applications or usages … In this case that means that for some odd reason the newly added bar remains stable (in position ) with the drop menu properly minimized for many of us .. and yet obviously has created difficulties for others while simply playing the game.

In short: is there a bug that has created all of the difficulties and subsequent descension … or is there something that simply needs to be addressed in how the new menu bar is coded.

Yes … it is entirely possible I might be climbing out on a very small limb … but there has to be some sort of explanation.

No chain saws please !!

I've never seen it move from the upper left corner above my chat window after I put it there the first time.

It expands once a week after conquest reset, and it's a simple mouse click to hide it again.

I get that people have been cooped up more than normal this year because of what's going on in RL.

I get that it causes a new level of frustration.

I get that coming to the forums to blow off steam in various threads can be mildly theraputic.

If any of this "anger" is genuinely because of this "advertising" bar...

that I honestly do not understand.

I've never seen it move from the upper left corner above my chat window after I put it there the first time.

It expands once a week after conquest reset, and it's a simple mouse click to hide it again.

I get that people have been cooped up more than normal this year because of what's going on in RL.

I get that coming to the forums to blow off steam in various threads can be mildly theraputic.

Well said, Darev! Great to see you back to posting recently. Seems I can't recall seeing you write until just recently I started to see your posts again.

As for this bar, so many people have reacted so strongly I felt like maybe I am in the minority whereas the bar doesn't bother me. I do find it redundant as someone else said, but I have just added it to the long list of other irritating things I put up with on the game while playing it.

I suppose if the bar causes someone so much aggravation that they cannot continue to enjoy the game, well then they ought to discuss it and see if others feel the same way as they do then take it up with BW, and that's what people have done here on the forums.

I don't understand the immense hatred for the bar, but I can respect the fact it seems to cause many others great unhappiness so with that, hopefully BW does a good fix on the bar that not only satisfies the players but also manages to accomplish whatever it is BW is trying to accomplish with the bar. Because I honestly don't really know.

Then you're the lucky one.....

I moved the bar to the top left of my screen.... but it won't stay there.

When I change Characters I have to move it back

When I change Zones I have to move it back

When I Log In I have to Close it (every time) and move it back

When I change or enter an Instances have to move it back

When a Cut Scene ends I have to move it back

When I enter or leave my ship I have to move it back

It is a Pita. There was Nothing Wrong with the OLD one.

But it's funny. I have NOT heard a single person say "They like it" or "It is a GREAT idea" or that "It's the best thing ever added to the game, I can't live without it", even the ones that SAY "They don't mind it" don't say "They Like it".

NOBODY LIKES IT!

Well said, Darev! Great to see you back to posting recently. Seems I can't recall seeing you write until just recently I started to see your posts again.

As for this bar, so many people have reacted so strongly I felt like maybe I am in the minority whereas the bar doesn't bother me. I do find it redundant as someone else said, but I have just added it to the long list of other irritating things I put up with on the game while playing it.

I suppose if the bar causes someone so much aggravation that they cannot continue to enjoy the game, well then they ought to discuss it and see if others feel the same way as they do then take it up with BW, and that's what people have done here on the forums.

I don't understand the immense hatred for the bar, but I can respect the fact it seems to cause many others great unhappiness so with that, hopefully BW does a good fix on the bar that not only satisfies the players but also manages to accomplish whatever it is BW is trying to accomplish with the bar. Because I honestly don't really know.

I agree with you and Darev both.

There is one thing that would make sense. And that is if some players are genuinely experiencing difficulties with the bar and not being able to move it out of the way to a position that would not be disruptive to the game. There is some indication that is the case.

For me personally: I have no problems with it !

Apparently someone has had some problems with some of what I've posted. I don't know why. That's their issue to deal with. I have only suggested that there is an obvious issue that should be looked into and fixed. Once the new menu bar is stable for most everyone IMO that is as much as anyone can ask.

At any rate ... I've probably said more than enough.

Hopefully this gets solved.

My two cents: I've had no particular issues with this thing. A slight annoyance once a week, that's it (so far, at least).

On the other hand, I see no benefit from it either. I have no use for it. It tells me nothing I can't access elsewhere. And so, seeing as other do have more aggravating issues with it, I'd fully support a reset. If they really need an add for the CM, have it on login or something.

If you had read the thread, you would have seen that peoples anger is justified. But people who don't experience the issue are minimising it. It's got nothing to do with being 'cooped' up, nor, does it have anything to do with 'blow of steam', and yes, the 'anger is genuine'

It's like paying to go see a football match or concert, you sit down to watch it, but you've a wall in your way, the person to the left and right can see the concert, but you can't. When you complain, they say, what are you talking about, we can see it fine.

Several times I've put up here, the issues people have been experiencing, some worse than others.

1. It moves, when it shouldn't

2, doesn't fit in with the UI, and can't be minimised the way the other one could.

3. It opens after every reset, and for some everytime they move

4. It wasn't asked for, wasn't needed, yet they've ignore serious bugs, in order to force this down our throats

5. It's basically a pop up ad bar, in a paid game. I'm suprised this hasn't pissed off more people, the reason a lot of people pay for free games is to not have to put up with that.

I'm sure there are others I've missed. So why is it so hard for people to actually understand these issues? Just because you don't have them, it doesn't mean others don't.

If you had read the thread, you would have seen that peoples anger is justified. But people who don't experience the issue are minimising it. It's got nothing to do with being 'cooped' up, nor, does it have anything to do with 'blow of steam', and yes, the 'anger is genuine'

It's like paying to go see a football match or concert, you sit down to watch it, but you've a wall in your way, the person to the left and right can see the concert, but you can't. When you complain, they say, what are you talking about, we can see it fine.

Several times I've put up here, the issues people have been experiencing, some worse than others.

2, doesn't fit in with the UI, and can't be minimised the way the other one could.

4. It wasn't asked for, wasn't needed, yet they've ignore serious bugs, in order to force this down our throats

5. It's basically a pop up ad bar, in a paid game. I'm suprised this hasn't pissed off more people, the reason a lot of people pay for free games is to not have to put up with that.

I'm sure there are others I've missed. So why is it so hard for people to actually understand these issues? Just because you don't have them, it doesn't mean others don't.

You're apparently seeing different behavior with it than I am.

For me, the loot window for the first mob I kill opening up way off on the left corner of my screen was originally annoying. It's ONLY the first mob I loot. I play spanning 3 monitors so it's a task to move my mouse ALL the way to the left to use that window. EVERY consecutive loot window appears, correctly, near the mob(s) I kill.

Been that way since the start of the game.

I learned to live with it a LONG time ago.

You're apparently seeing different behavior with it than I am.

For me, the loot window for the first mob I kill opening up way off on the left corner of my screen was originally annoying. It's ONLY the first mob I loot. I play spanning 3 monitors so it's a task to move my mouse ALL the way to the left to use that window. EVERY consecutive loot window appears, correctly, near the mob(s) I kill.

Been that way since the start of the game.

I learned to live with it a LONG time ago.

So because you learned to live with the loot issue, everyone has to learn to live with this? Does anyone else have the loot issue, did anyone ever report it. Is it an issue with the game, or because you use 3 monitors?

Here's the kicker.....if you were to put up a thread trying to get that issue fixed, even though it doesn't effect me, or a lot of other people in the game, i'd be the first person here backing you up, and trying to get it fixed. It doesn't matter if it effects me, if someone takes the time to put up a thread, I do what I can to support it,

1. Yes, needs to be fixed (This problem was fixed for me with their update)

2. Do not see why it couldn't be put in to the interface editor

3. Yes, should stay closed if I closed it.

4.We did not ask for the Cartel Packs but many love them. They have fixed the repositioning problem for many so

they are not ignoring us nor the bugs. They have not commented on the reopening of the thing each conquest

reset that I have seen so we do not know if it is a bug or not.

5. One part of 3 is an add. That does not make the whole thing an add bar. If they make it so it only opens when you

open it then what is on it is a non factor. The fact that it opens on it's own is the issue, not what is on it.

4.We did not ask for the Cartel Packs but many love them. They have fixed the repositioning problem for many so

they are not ignoring us nor the bugs. They have not commented on the reopening of the thing each conquest

reset that I have seen so we do not know if it is a bug or not.

People have asked for cartel packs, but that's got nothing to do with this bar, guide, whatever they want to call it. They haven't fixed it, some people are still having issues. As for the opening, either way, bug or not, it's annoying...lol

5. One part of 3 is an add. That does not make the whole thing an add bar. If they make it so it only opens when you

open it then what is on it is a non factor. The fact that it opens on it's own is the issue, not what is on it.

The fact it has an ad on it, makes it an advertisment, an ad bar. and to some, yes, what it is, is a problem. This is a paid game, we pay a sub. If people downloaded a game from apple store, or other online things, and paid for it, and still had ads, how long do you think people would pay for the games?

AGAIN, just because something doesn't annoy you, do NOT mean it should be allowed to annoy others.

Justin bieber annoys me, I couldn't listen to him, so should I be forced to listen to him because others do.

As I said 1 to 5 are some of the issues in this thread, and others, just because it's not an issue to you, doesn't mean it's not an issue to others. If it works for you, great, you enjoy your bar, see what you need, that's brilliant. But it doesn't for others. They will probabl;y never go back, but with enough pressure, they might compromise, they might fix it, so people can shut it off, and never have it pop up, fix it so it can be intergrated in to the UI, and moved, sized how people want. That way most people will get what they want, or at least the best version of what they want.

Edited by DarkTergon

The fact it has an ad on it, makes it an advertisment, an ad bar. and to some, yes, what it is, is a problem. This is a paid game, we pay a sub. If people downloaded a game from apple store, or other online things, and paid for it, and still had ads, how long do you think people would pay for the games?

AGAIN, just because something doesn't annoy you, do NOT mean it should be allowed to annoy others.

Justin bieber annoys me, I couldn't listen to him, so should I be forced to listen to him because others do.

I do not see it that way. When I open a newspaper I see adds but those in themselves do not make the entire newspaper an advertisement. And again, what is on it is a non factor if it stays closed.

I do not see it that way. When I open a newspaper I see adds but those in themselves do not make the entire newspaper an advertisement. And again, what is on it is a non factor if it stays closed.

In this case, the game is the newspaper, the bar is an insert, the insert is an ad. If it stayed closed all the time, and stayed put, then that would be one less thing, one less issue. People could close it, and never have to see it again.

Unfortunaaately, at the moment, it doesn't stay closed, at least not for everyone :(

Edited by DarkTergon

So let me get this straight.

Pick a bug that has been around for years like when you RE an assembly component that has been in your legacy bank you don't get a augment slot component so you waste all of those supplies if you're trying to make augment kits.

You are suggesting that BW focus on this bar? Or advocating we unsubscribe because of this bar (hint: BW doesn't care about unsubscriptions) rather than the RE bug among all of the others?

How about complaining about how much gearing is screwed up because of the level-sync. THAT is more game breaking than this bar.

Pick a bug that has been around for years like when you RE an assembly component that has been in your legacy bank you don't get a augment slot component so you waste all of those supplies if you're trying to make augment kits.

You are suggesting that BW focus on this bar? Or advocating we unsubscribe because of this bar (hint: BW doesn't care about unsubscriptions) rather than the RE bug among all of the others?

How about complaining about how much gearing is screwed up because of the level-sync. THAT is more game breaking than this bar.

Totally agree. All this "advertising bar" thing seems little bit exaggerated. I can understand that it may behave buggy with some players, but it is really not the thing that breaks your game completely. Maybe it would be wise to be patient and wait for this problem to be fixed. Furthermore, a new patch is planned for tomorrow. Let's just see what it brings.

Just because those things are broken doesn't mean that we shouldn't mention the adbar crap.

Someone compared it to a newspaper. Again - there is a big difference: you can still read the actual news from newspaper even if there are ads on the same page, they don't interfere with your morning rituals. You don't have to minimize or cut it off or whatever to be able to enjoy the paper. However you do need to minimize the adbar at least once a week and move it around even more often, or you can't play the game.

I can't believe so many people put energy into whining about the issues someone else has in game, instead of idk... maybe follow their own example and get up on the barricades for the stuff they want fixed...? This is the first time I've seen so many people attack the ones who have problems with the new adbar and want it fixed/gone, so yes, it looks like you all are either trolling or getting paid. With that kind of an attitude good luck trying to get support from the community when you'll have an issue you want fixed.