So we just accept the advertising bar now?

Lundorff

Final thoughts... ( though not necessarily final post on subject).

*** Is the trouble that seems to be plaguing some players just another bug of some sort? Odd that it seems to affect some .. but not everyone. [/scratches head] ... sorry but something still does not add up here.

IMO ... this is where maybe a BW representative MIGHT jump in and at least offer some sort of input or advice ... But I'm afraid that many players would only jump back in and ride that response with bitterness and ridicule.

***sigh***

*** IMO .. the rest of the debate over this will undoubtedly continue for a while now. When something else is broken or bugged ... WHY ... blah blah blah ..

At any rate.

I'm personally growing a bit weary over this matter when there are so many more important things needed. BUG SQUASHING has to be a priority. Moving forward with the next phase of the story is equally important with the bug squashing. Neither of these two items are above the other.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if they didn't do the bar, they could have used those resources to fix that bug or any other bug.

There have been bugs around for years. I highly doubt that the conversation went, "I'm all set to fix this bug that the forums have been complaining about since 2016 BUT the big boss said I need to work on the new ad bar. Guess that bug gets put on the back-burner again."

Just because those things are broken doesn't mean that we shouldn't mention the adbar crap.

That's not what is being discussed here. People are advocating we DO something about it. Like what? Complain? Sure but don't expect BW to care. Someone suggested we unsub. That's more than mere mentioning the adbar.

There have been bugs around for years. I highly doubt that the conversation went, "I'm all set to fix this bug that the forums have been complaining about since 2016 BUT the big boss said I need to work on the new ad bar. Guess that bug gets put on the back-burner again."

You still fail to see the issue, the time they put in to that ad bar, they could have used on other stuff, fixed other stuff, new or old. I don't know how you can actually fail to see this, why is that so hard for you to understand? And that is just ONE of the issues. And you also fail to see they are going to have to divert more resources to fix the mess they made, instead of other bugs, which need to be fixed too.

You still fail to see the issue, the time they put in to that ad bar, they could have used on other stuff, fixed other stuff, new or old. I don't know how you can actually fail to see this, why is that so hard for you to understand?

No you fail to see the issue. There have been major bugs unfixed FOR YEARS. They will continue to be unfixed because Bioware is uninterested in fixing them. It has very little to do with where they put their resources and instead their complete apathy into fixing existing problems. Let me ask you this. Has BW not developed the ad bar, what would they have improved in the game instead? What long-term bug would they have fixed? What new and exciting content would they have made?

Which again gets to the question asked in this thread. We complain about the ad bar just like we complain about all the bugs, content issues, QoL issues, etc.. In fact the PTS was near-unanimous about thier hatred of the ad bar but it still got put in. So no we don't "just accept the advertising bar" but

1: Does anyone really think our complaints will cause a change?

2: What should we do in protest when things don't change.

No you fail to see the issue. There have been major bugs unfixed FOR YEARS. They will continue to be unfixed because Bioware is uninterested in fixing them. It has very little to do with where they put their resources and instead their complete apathy into fixing existing problems. Let me ask you this. Has BW not developed the ad bar, what would they have improved in the game instead? What long-term bug would they have fixed? What new and exciting content would they have made?

Which again gets to the question asked in this thread. We complain about the ad bar just like we complain about all the bugs, content issues, QoL issues, etc.. In fact the PTS was near-unanimous about thier hatred of the ad bar but it still got put in. So no we don't "just accept the advertising bar" but

Unfortuntely we'll never know what they could have done, as they wasted time on this, we can speculate, but what would be the point.

1, maybe they won't, so should that mean we just sit back and say nothing?

2, if enough people complained, instead of turning on people who are trying to get it sorted, who knows what we could do. But instead of supporting the idea, some people in here would rather waste time, complaining, and putting down people who want to change the situation. It's an uphill battle, probably pointless, but if people want to fight it, why not let them, or even try a little support, instead we have people who are apathetic, indifferent, degrading to others, etc.

that is excatly what's being disscussed, the ad bar, the guide, the crap they put together, the broken ****.....it's all tied up together in one nice bunch of **** ups.

The person who suggested unsubbing was being a nasty *****, he was trying to demean people, etc. I can't say excatly what they are, as I'd end up being censored. Some people get away with murder, but if I even sneeze in the wrong direction a mod hops on me.

I explained exactly what to do and how to do it if you're serious about taking action. Would it work? I honestly don't know. Can you find 35-50 players who think it's that much of a crisis that they'll unsub? But it's miles better than these constant demands for emotional support.

Your response has been to ignore it and continue talking trash. Maybe we got off to the wrong foot but to be honest, between one-sided pleas for empathy and the constant refrain that everyone who disagrees is a paid shill or a troll, it's lulzy to keep using me as an excuse for your bad behavior.

Have the changes BW made today resolved the bug? If it has, then the only thing left to complain about now is one third of the GG. If that still bothers you so much, put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by Ardrossan

[quote=EllieAnne;9862738

This popped up in another thread, posting it here to show you what people can do.

Wow...that's a HUGE conquest point pvp update.

Those numbers, are those before Stronghold bonuses?

One person went on a single person mission to get pvp CQ points increased, and it happened. Probably won't happen here, but who knows till people try.

Yes it can be moved but not removed, and it still start in the drop downed state e.g. BUY CARTEL STUFF PLZ-mode ever so often.

I guarantee if this is tolerated then more stuff is to follow. How about a Cartel Market button on the main quickbar? Or a Cartel Market flair that will make you run 10% faster? Perhaps you will now be greeted by Giradda the Cartel Market Hutt every time you load into a character. It reeks of desperation and of all the stupid things they have done over the years, this signifies the end times more than anything else.

Many MMOs have something similar, so I can hardly fault SWTOR for following suit, though I feel their implementation is terrible.

Many MMOs have something similar, so I can hardly fault SWTOR for following suit, though I feel their implementation is terrible.

Haven't played many recently but I played neverwinter for a bit don't remember seeing any bar like that stuck in my face. But i just started and haven't gotten used to the interface yet.

Also I've recently given STO a quick go again, and didn't see anything like that, all though their interface has changed, there is a lot more going on in it then there used to be, so it's possible it has something, I just didn't notice, as some of it was new.

One I did notice the ads in was the elder scrolls (Blades), mobile game, when you get a chest or item, it pops up, and when you click it, it also shows purchasable items, but again, it's not really shoved in your face. And it is a free game, so advertising is probably the only way to get revenue.

I see that due to our complaining the powers at BW changed the ad bar. Good job all.

Oh wait. It's the opposite of that.

yup, your right, everything you say is right, we should just lay down, and let BW, walk over us, do what they want, say nothing, and keep giving them our money. Who wants a good service anyway, who wants to have a game they enjoy. Let them take our money and be shoddy. Even better, why not help them, give them some awesome ideas, what about making the ad bar bigger, sure, it's too small, lets stick it in the middle of the page, with some flairs, lights, some whirring noises. Have the sale of the day flash back and forth, with some amazing effects.

Don't forget, fix it so the UI doesn't edit anymore, have set with a RNG effect, sometimes it pops, sometimes not, sometimes it's in one corner, sometimes another, sometimes it's small, sometimes big. what fun we can have.

You've got some really great ideas, I notice on the BW site they are hiring, no idea what you work at now, but you could make a fortune there. Just think of the possibilities. Anyway, good luck in the future, hopefully nothing as nonseical as this bar will ever trouble, and you'll be bug free for your SWTOR history.

This thread makes a lot more sense with some added context:

I've never quit, or taken a break from this game in the last 8 years, been a constant sub & staunch supporter, but certain things that have happened in the last couple of months that have made me wonder why.

Something that happens on this forum, and maybe is common in gaming in general is players who take pride in "never taking a break" who then snap over fairly minor issues. Ellie Anne earlier said something like (I'm paraphrasing) 'why would you unsub over the adbar and not the three dozen major issues over the past eight years?' Which is a good question.

Taking breaks from what you love keeps you centered, keeps you from obsessing. Not taking breaks gives you tunnel vision, as if this game is your only source of entertainment. It also gives players an inflated sense of entitlement, e.g 'I've been loyal for eight years and THIS is how they treat me?!"' It also makes sense why these players tend to overreact when told to "unsub to show your discontent" because for them it's like a personal attack against their identity as a swtor gamer.

This thread makes a lot more sense with some added context:

/snip

You're right, the issue is small, because it doesn't effect you, and others. No, it's not game breaking, and people can live with it. Protesting might not sort it, hell they don't listen, they just ban people who complain. Maybe I was just having a bad day, maybe my camel was on it's knees when they did this, maybe I was wondering why i bother paying a sub every month, just to be ignore, while other roam free, sub every now and then, and attack me because I dare to speak out about something that effects people.

Maybe I'm lonely, and need approval, maybe I need to see a better world where people actually help each other out, there's a lot of maybes. Or maybe I've just had enough of BW rubbish, bad management, bugs, things we don't want, toxic people, etc, etc, and this was the match that set the world on fire. Either way, it doesn't matter, they won't change it, they won't llisten, and people can sit back and be happy, because they were right. This topic/thread will fade away, we'll get the next level of UI, ad bar, or whatever, and accept it, and roll over

Edited by DarkTergon

Maybe the UI bug doesn't affect YOU but it affect ME.

It's selfish to tell people who are inconvenienced not to complain just because you are fine.

I complained about the UI bug and it's fixed in the next patch.

Now it doesn't move around whenever I log in/change planet/quick travel. Good. I have no further issue about the UI.

Now the window opens once per week. Funny because I didn't get this part of feature before they fixed the positioning bug. The window was always closed even when it's position changed after I log in/change planet/quick travel. It's a bit stupid that I have to close it once a week but I can accept it.

However, I won't stop people who are still unhappy about having to close it once a week from saying they are unhappy about it just because I am not that bothered by it.

Now the window opens once per week. Funny because I didn't get this part of feature before they fixed the positioning bug. The window was always closed even when it's position changed after I log in/change planet/quick travel. It's a bit stupid that I have to close it once a week but I can accept it.

I do believe this is conquest related. So it opens the first time you log in on a character after conquest resets. Not sure why we needed that since there's a keyboard short cut (L) for it already and I use it whenever I need to go to the conquest objectives.

I do believe this is conquest related. So it opens the first time you log in on a character after conquest resets. Not sure why we needed that since there's a keyboard short cut (L) for it already and I use it whenever I need to go to the conquest objectives.

It's to shove CM items in your face, that's basically it :/

Opening the original conquest window gives me everything I need to know with one click. I also check the daily flash sale and other smaller sales through the original cartel market window every day. The new UI is redundant to me, but at least it stays in it's corner and won't drive me crazy now.

Opening the original conquest window gives me everything I need to know with one click. I also check the daily flash sale and other smaller sales through the original cartel market window every day. The new UI is redundant to me, but at least it stays in it's corner and won't drive me crazy now.

which is what you get when you press L. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but we're in the same boat. I don't see this new UI element as useful. And indeed it stays in the corner now and once a week it opens up triggered by the conquest reset... if only we could fix that part of it, then it'll be grand. (well there's still the off-centre issue which once you see it cannot be unseen, but ok).

Those in the thread that want us to do something about the ad bar:

What is it you want us to do?

Complain to a company that has repeatedly shown it doesn't care about what its paying customers say?

After Ben Irving's last disastrous live-stream which saw thousands of players quit live in twitch-chat the company (EA) cared enough within 48 hours to send out an emergency customer satisfaction survey, and then some time later give Ben a "sideways promotion".

So yes they do care, but only when it hurts them on the balance sheet.

If even 20% of the remaining player-base unsubbed for just 1-2 months they'd get rid of it.

All The Best

which is what you get when you press L. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but we're in the same boat. I don't see this new UI element as useful. And indeed it stays in the corner now and once a week it opens up triggered by the conquest reset... if only we could fix that part of it, then it'll be grand. (well there's still the off-centre issue which once you see it cannot be unseen, but ok).

I meant I can access both conquest and cartel marker easy enough by clicking the menu bar before the UI element was introduced, I don't need it now.

What off-centre? No don't tell me, I don't want to "cannot unseen" myself lol

After Ben Irving's last disastrous live-stream which saw thousands of players quit live in twitch-chat the company (EA) cared enough within 48 hours to send out an emergency customer satisfaction survey, and then some time later give Ben a "sideways promotion".

So yes they do care, but only when it hurts them on the balance sheet.

If even 20% of the remaining player-base unsubbed for just 1-2 months they'd get rid of it.

All The Best

If 20% of people unsubbed it would be a ghost town. They’d probably just shut the game at that point.

If 20% of people unsubbed it would be a ghost town. They’d probably just shut the game at that point.

It's sad to see, but the instances are becoming less populated. Might be that people are getting out more, or that other games have new content, so they are visiting there, or people have become disallusioned with all the recent issues.

On one hand, it's great when doing heroics, not so much competition. But I'd suffer that to see more instances, with more people.

It's sad to see, but the instances are becoming less populated. Might be that people are getting out more, or that other games have new content, so they are visiting there, or people have become disallusioned with all the recent issues.

On one hand, it's great when doing heroics, not so much competition. But I'd suffer that to see more instances, with more people.

So many silly bugs and mistakes these last few months have actually made people play less. I’m play only 10% of what I was playing back in March and the main reasons are the stupid bugs and bad decisions Bioware make and then dont fix or go silent like they don’t care.