So we just accept the advertising bar now?

Lundorff

we're never going to get rid of it, there wasn't enough push back at the start, now we've only a small group of people saying no, most have accepted it. Like someone already said, I just hope it's not the first step in having more M stuff shoved in our faces :/

Apparently there was a TON of pushback on the PTS but BW as usual did not care about the customer feedback.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're never going to get rid of it, there wasn't enough push back at the start, now we've only a small group of people saying no, most have accepted it. Like someone already said, I just hope it's not the first step in having more M stuff shoved in our faces :/

It wasn't the first, and it's probably not gonna be the last. First we got the banners of who controls what planet, then light vs dark pop. WIth 6.0 they dedided to clutter our screens with new horrible tooltip pop ups that we can't move, resize or disable. They are ugly and interfere with playing, but as long as they don't affect CM, why would they care. Then we got the CQ pop ups, and now we have an ad popping up and jumping around the screen at least once per week per toon, but usually a lot more than that.

I'm surprised so many people are okay with unimporant ugly objects covering their screen, or who knows, maybe BW paid for them to come here and defend the ad. Or it's the same kind of people who can't eat dinner without reacting to a phone bleeping something from some social media. They are fine having their lives constantly interrupted by ads and "important" updates, and they don't have a problem putting random social media notifications ahead of their family or friends who are sitting right next to them IRL. So they'd be fine having their game also cluttered with carbage, as long as they don't miss an "important" notification like a CM flash sale. :D

But yeah, this is starting to get into really sad state. It's a shame because it used to be great, and now every patch or improvement they push is a fiasco or breaks things that have been working fine for years. :(

IMO … problem is .. no one wants to listen.. No body !

Seems like the entire world is obsessed with that idealism.

Mark the old mans words: one day that temperament will bite us all right square in the seat of the pants

(I'm trying to be as kind as possible)

Apparently there was a TON of pushback on the PTS but BW as usual did not care about the customer feedback.

Of course not. Like I said, they only care about their purposes and needs.

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't auto-open, I think after conquest resets. I have it on top of my chat window and it just goes right through it.

The stupid thing here on the forums is that there's all kinds of people that say it's not a big deal to them. But the thing is that it's extra clicks for the sake of something that is NOT an improvement. I think that people really need to think this through and how they feel about causing annoyances to the game because of the way they did it. It may not be an annoyance to you but there might very well be a day that something's annoying you. And then all the people here will go /shrug.

We really don't need this game to be made WORSE from a QoL point of view. It's a poor piece of work that you have to live with and I just don't get why. Sure, the window's why is answered plenty but it's supposed to be an improvement and it's not.

I'm surprised so many people are okay with unimporant ugly objects covering their screen, or who knows, maybe BW paid for them to come here and defend the ad.

Yes, that's it. People disagree with you because they're paid shills. This is the forum version of a Godwin.

The stupid thing here on the forums is that there's all kinds of people that say it's not a big deal to them. But the thing is that it's extra clicks for the sake of something that is NOT an improvement.

It's not a big deal, insofar as it's not a gamebreaker. It won't make me unsub or stop playing. It's annoying, whereas something like ability lag is a gamebreaker, I won't play the game if it does that. This is subjective, some people are okay with ability lag.

I seem to remember you quit for awhile, for some reason, now you're back. The relevant question is: is the bar a big enough deal that you'll quit the game again until BW removes it? If it is, and if enough people agree with you and all quit at the same time for the same reason, then maybe that sends a message BW can't ignore.

Alternatively, I'm sure if everyone in the thread just agrees this is a problem BW will come along and straighten this out! Yes, the real problem isn't BW's utter indifference to the forum, it's people who disagree with my complaints! :rak_01:

Edited by Ardrossan

It's not a big deal, insofar as it's not a gamebreaker. It won't make me unsub or stop playing. It's annoying, whereas something like ability lag is a gamebreaker, I won't play the game if it does that. This is subjective, some people are okay with ability lag.
It's not but it is on another level. The bigger view. What does it say about a company that implements a shoddy QoL item that isn't even an improvement? It's on that level I'm speaking.

I seem to remember you quit for awhile, for some reason, now you're back. The relevant question is: is the bar a big enough deal that you'll quit the game again until BW removes it? If it is, and if enough people agree with you and all quit at the same time for the same reason, then maybe that sends a message BW can't ignore.
I have, multiple times. The bar is not a big enough deal to quit though, but is a big enough deal to complain about. I'm simply calling them out on this. We shouldn't have to do as you say to move BW. It shouldn't take loads of people quitting in other words.

In the end nobody wants this. You may not be against it or shrug it off, but nobody wants it. Not this way. The PTS was apparently full of people voicing against this. They need to find a better solution. And yes, they may want to realign it while they're at it because they couldn't even center it right.

I'm not calling quits like other people here might be but I'm certainly gonna call them on it. It's one of the worst QoL updates to date simply because it was poorly implemented and doesn't actually add a benefit to the players. Again, on that level it's a bigger deal cause if they have time to add stupid stuff like this, then I wonder what they had to drop for it.

Edited by Tsillah

\We shouldn't have to do as you say to move BW. It shouldn't take loads of people quitting in other words.

I'm not calling quits like other people here might be but I'm certainly gonna call them on it. It's one of the worst QoL updates to date simply because it was poorly implemented and doesn't actually add a benefit to the players. Again, on that level it's a bigger deal cause if they have time to add stupid stuff like this, then I wonder what they had to drop for it.

I agree, it's a bad QoL update.

It's the *should* that makes me lol. And also the "call out" bit. You call out bad behavior on the premise that the badly behaving will take notice. Yes, it would be nice if BW was a responsive company that acknowledged complaints and made changes that reflected player interest instead of whatever stupid vision they have. You've been here longer than I have, Tsillah, does that sound like BW to you? BW has learned that they can do this sort of thing and players will grumble but ultimately do nothing concrete, so they don't have to respond, much less make changes.

It's okay to vent, I'm not coming at you from a tone-policing pov, but just saying that this thread only has value for players to vent, not to cajole BW into actually doing anything. At absolute best-case scenario you might get a gold post of them saying Continue to provide feedback!

People have quit over this, BUT it wasn't just this, this was the final nail in the coffin. Unfortunately you get ******* who belittle them over it. And if it's a step in the direction of even more ads being shoved under our noses, then we might lose more.

could always put your money where your mouth is and unsub if you feel like this is such an unwanted feature

It doesn't work, they don't care. There wil always be people who'll stay, because it's the only SW MMO out there. There's also a lot of good with the game. So unsubbing isn't really an option. But complaining, and keeping up the pressure from inside, might work, it has for some stuff in the past.

It doesn't work, they don't care. There wil always be people who'll stay, because it's the only SW MMO out there. There's also a lot of good with the game. So unsubbing isn't really an option. But complaining, and keeping up the pressure from inside, might work, it has for some stuff in the past.

lol the point isn't for everyone to leave. That would be setting some pretty high expectations. The point is that mass unsubs shows up on whatever metrics they use and looks quantifiably bad. Yes, the vast majority will stick around, but if there's a big enough blip, most companies would take action to correct that.

Complaining has really only worked under exceptional circumstances, like the design of the Rishi SH[1]. In that case, the community manager was on vacation so devs heard feedback directly. imo it's a naive outlook to assume that comments on the forum = pressure on the company.

But it also speaks to people's attitudes, hence the line about "a lot of good with the game". Despite the quoted player's hot take that people have quit because of this, there's an implicit acknowledgement that this really isn't worth unsubbing over, and it's much easier to just complain on the forum. Go ahead, that's what it's for. It keeps players subbing because they think "maybe someone at BW is reading this".

[1] Yes, that means you can blame the forum for how the Rishi SH looks. If this is an improvement, I'd hate to have seen the original.

Edited by Ardrossan

People have quit over this, BUT it wasn't just this, this was the final nail in the coffin. Unfortunately you get ******* who belittle them over it. And if it's a step in the direction of even more ads being shoved under our noses, then we might lose more.

which is why I've quit multiple times. Either too much BS or too little content. I do come back cause at the core it's still an enjoyable game. Just wish they didn't try so hard to push people away.

I agree, it's a bad QoL update.

It's the *should* that makes me lol. And also the "call out" bit. You call out bad behavior on the premise that the badly behaving will take notice. Yes, it would be nice if BW was a responsive company that acknowledged complaints and made changes that reflected player interest instead of whatever stupid vision they have. You've been here longer than I have, Tsillah, does that sound like BW to you? BW has learned that they can do this sort of thing and players will grumble but ultimately do nothing concrete, so they don't have to respond, much less make changes.

It's okay to vent, I'm not coming at you from a tone-policing pov, but just saying that this thread only has value for players to vent, not to cajole BW into actually doing anything. At absolute best-case scenario you might get a gold post of them saying Continue to provide feedback!

hehe, yeah I'm under no illusions here. I'm just here to vent. But it should be different, I just know it's not.

Agreed. The Double XP event brought back a lot of players when it was active. Why not let it run for a while?

That'll get old though. Events are events for a reason. However, I wouldn't mind them giving more XP in general for story missions. The one thing that has always irked me about expansions is the level cap raise. If it'd served a purpose I'd still be ok with it, but it's just levels for the sake of levels.

One of the main reasons I feel that the leveling experience has gone boring is that exactly. And especially the leveling from 50-75. It feels like you have achieved something at the point you complete your main class story except you have to go 25 more levels. And for what? To get more powerful skills? Well we all know about how many skills we got since 1.0. It just doesn't stand up.

And especially since level sync. What do those levels represent anymore except a daunting chore at the start of a new character. I would've much preferred a system where we need to unlock the next tiers of gear. It would've also saved them the headache of balancing and upping new content.

Edited by Tsillah

which is why I've quit multiple times. Either too much BS or too little content. I do come back cause at the core it's still an enjoyable game. Just wish they didn't try so hard to push people away.

Yeah I often quit as well. I only come back cause it's star wars. They just can't get it right lol. I'm coming up on another long hiatus I think. I don't understand why they just cant give us basic things we've been asking for for years but they can add knights of the round table music and an advertising bar to the ui.....

To EA the screen is simply real estate that they own and will want to maximize use of.

If I were to do some crystal ball gazing on how this will be used, it goes something like:

Phase 1: MVP with CM advertising > Phase 2: Vary content by F2P/Subs > Phase 3: In game Advertising for other EA Games > Phase 4: In game advertising for non EA products.

Let's be realistic, I doubt the subscription fees carry the operating cost anymore - CM is the cash cow. With many advertisers boycotting social media for their marketing, I'd be surprised if EA wasn't trying to find a way to get in on that revenue stream. Say hello to Space Coca-Cola. (or is that called Slurm?)

There are several issues here

1. We got a bar, we didn't want or need. Which took time and resources away from fixing stuff that needed fixing.

2. The bar was bugged from the start, which means more resources were diverted to fix it.

3. It isn't an improvement, but a thinly veiled pop up ad. It doesn't fit in with the other UI panels, doesn't minimise properly, and is bugged. It also a foot in the door for in game advertising, or worse.

Although the bugs don't effect everyone, it does effect a good few. Which is why they've complained. Yet we get ****** in here who are attacking these people for rightly complaining about an issue that is effecting them. These people have demeanded, and belittled them, yet if it were an issue that would effect them, you'd see them being the vocal lot here.

People forget, a ripple from a small stone can cause a tidal wave....

nobody cares enough to do anything, writing a short forum post complaining is roughly where ppl end up

There's not much else people can do.....I thought about buying out EA, and taking over, and fixing the game how I'd like to see it, but I've only 4.5 billion at the moment, and have my eye on buying star wars back from disney, but they are looking for 5.5 billion, so I'm selling like mad on the gtn, and should have the 5.5 bilion in another month or so, but once I've bought the IP, I'll use the stick to get EA to do what we want.... Hang in there, hope's on it's way :)

Yet we get ****** in here who are attacking these people for rightly complaining about an issue that is effecting them. These people have demeanded, and belittled them, yet if it were an issue that would effect them, you'd see them being the vocal lot here.

People forget, a ripple from a small stone can cause a tidal wave....

Venting is totally fine, but I see no reason to positively affirm melodrama. Nobody is being 'attacked' or 'demeaned', unless disagreement is demeaning. The bar affects everyone, but some of us can deal and some of us can't. If you can't, you should unsub...send BW a message that this is intolerant. Maybe they'll listen. If you don't want to unsub, then maybe it's not quite as dreadful as you're suggesting.

lol imagine quitting over an annoying, but tiny piece of the UI. No offense, but they were already on their way out the door if this was “the last straw.” But let’s keep going with this slippery slope theory...

Agreed, and speaking of slippery slope

If I were to do some crystal ball gazing on how this will be used, it goes something like:

Phase 1: MVP with CM advertising > Phase 2: Vary content by F2P/Subs > Phase 3: In game Advertising for other EA Games > Phase 4: In game advertising for non EA products.

lol no, that won't happen. If it does, feel free to say I told you so, but it's just wishful thinking, and this forum is full of similar dire predictions that went nowhere. Raise your hand if you remember TORtanic.