How to Turn off this Irritating Conquest pop-up?

Ooloi

I agree these pop up have to go. Here's a perfect example of why this is a horrible design.

Yesterday I was running a Malstrom Prison MM FP. There a part where you come across a bunch of NPC droids and a sith. Behind them is an exploding barrel. As we're getting closer, I went to click the barrel and right then the Conquest reward update popped up. I'm not kidding, the little green arrow was exactly where my barrel click was on the screen. So, now the Conquest window expands and fills the whole screen, but because I'm now typing or clicking my next skill yet I'm actually in the game's windows, 2 more windows pop up. So now, I have to now stop, and hit ESC a bunch of times.

This is a HORRIBLE DESIGN flaw. Horrible! There's no reason to block us from moving it in the UI or resizing it. This also goes for the Guild planet ownership pop up. I could care less which guild owns what planet. I'm not going to request to join them, and I've already forgotten their name 5 seconds after it disappears.

So now, we have 3 uncontrollable pop ups:

The Guild planet ownership

The stronghold pop up

The Conquest reward update

This needs to be fixed immediately. Not a future patch. This needs a developer's attention immediately.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the number of changes to it in recent years (0), I have the feeling that the interface editor is another example of old code the new devs don't fully understand and don't want to touch for fear of breaking it.

So you're saying they can add crap to it, but don't know how to manipulate the UI for us to adjust it in game? Then they need to go back and REMOVE everything they added.

So you're saying they can add crap to it, but don't know how to manipulate the UI for us to adjust it in game? Then they need to go back and REMOVE everything they added.

It's just a supposition based on how often this happens in MMOs, and the fact that none of the interface elements added in the past couple years have also been added to the editor lends credibility to it, but if it's the case I agree that they should just reprogram the editor so that they can understand and change things in it, add an enable/disable checkbox in the options menu if that's too much work, or just remove the new pop-ups if they can't do either.

The editor was one of the best in the industry when SWTOR launched, at least when looking just at baseline functionality without player-made addons, but adding new elements that we can't edit was a superbly bad idea.

[snipped for brevity]

The stronghold pop up

This needs to be fixed immediately. Not a future patch. This needs a developer's attention immediately.

The effects of these range from immersion breaking to intermittently game breaking. Why do they insist on plastering a big, ugly (and not wanted or needed!) banner right in the prime real estate of my screen? Just wait until their solution is to have raiders "earn all the daily kill achievements" before raiding...

I feel like the pop-up is half finished. It's weird, some objective completions show it, some don't. I thought it was just the legacy wide ones that popped up, but that isn't the case because I get it on the Renown Rankup. I haven't figured out how it works and what it's purpose is.

It pops up on renown rank up because that objective is infinitely repeatable and not legacy restricted per day or week. Same for earning regular or legacy levels.

Edited by Phazonfreak

The stronghold pop up

Let's add the new tooltip we got with 6.0 to the list. The one that also pops in the middle of your quickbar if you have any inventory objects dragged there and you hover over with a mouse. If you are using clicky relics and they are in your quickbar, same thing. It's really annoying. They need to be on the same tooltip with everything else, or let us disable it.

At risk of piling on...

I'm strongly in favor of giving players the most choices to either turn off, minimize, or relocate the notification.

I know I will be ridiculed heavily for this, but I actually play the advanced Space Missions. I learned the hard way how distracting it can be to have that Pop-Up appear when you complete a bonus mission and then...

I face planted my ship into an asteroid. (It hurt.)

Yes, I know now to do something silly first to avoid the bonus mission Pop-Up, but I assure you i raised one fist and shook it at Bioware in anger and used the other fist to...

<<take a gulp from my Alderaanian Nectar martini>>

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there is a pop up on my screen for 5 seconds whaaaaaaa

grow the hell up its not a big deal

except if you do a lot of CQ stuff like crafting war supplies, where you get 40 pop ups , 1 for each, and then whatever you've popped too along with them ....:eek:

At the same time they can give the option to turn off the World Controlled By Guild graphic as well. I don't care about that, and it still sometimes won't go away. They removed the graphic reload trick, so I'm back to going to stronghold then returning to get rid of it.

It is such a terrible, over-designed, invasive construct created by overzealous graphic designers without consulting the usability nerds. Let me bloody disable this or there will be pitchforks! :mad:
Agreed. This stupid box pops up in the middle of a fight and cannot be dismissed (must be fun to have it pop up during reaches). Really bad design choice.

I also agree; the option to turn off or move the pop-up in the interface editor would be awesome!

It's far too large as it is, and while it does disappear after a couple seconds, it pops up at the most inopportune times (like on top of the baddies I'm trying to fight).

I understand that some people like the pop-up, but we need an option for those of us that don't, thanks!

I agree. I'm in combat, and suddenly my view is blocked by unimportant notifications covering a chunk of my screen, dead center. The new Conquest objectives notifications are incredibly annoying and distracting. Please add an option to turn them off. At the very least, an option to move them off to the side, and resize them (shrink them down as small as possible). When I'm in combat, I don't give a hoot that a companion just leveled up in Influence, etc., etc. All of this information is available elsewhere. Splashy graphics blocking my current view are unwanted and unwelcomed.

I don't want an X to dismiss the notifications. Clicking a number of Xs in order to clear my screen while I'm in combat isn't helpful. I'm a middle of the road, primarily PVEer. I can only imagine the annoyance when these notifications pop up during PvP or during a time/DPS/healing critical moment in harder PVE content.

At the very least, have the game treat them like companions' "I'm back from putting the bins out!" crew mission reports, and stick them in "pending" if the player is doing something. Even then, there should be a preference option to disable.

I harbour a particular hatred for the guildspam banner, because it's a buggy glitch that frequently gets stuck. Bluntly, it's like cats marking their territory. If you happen to be playing that particular minigame, then it's interesting to you. If not, then it's just an annoying bad smell. I don't care if the Guild of Hutt Earwax has sprayed its scent all round Alderaan today and cr***ed on Panteer Palace lawn to say that it belongs to them, I want to focus on what I'm doing, and see what's supposed to be on my screen, preferably without waiting around to see if the stupid thing will vanish properly or do the half-fade then stick thing it usually does.

Now, I will allow that it probably annoys me more than the majority, since I'm noticeably on the autistic spectrum and getting my focus scrambled by other people's unnecessary sensory throughput does bug me more than it bugs a neurotypical. However, I'm also not that pronouncedly so, compared to many others who play and try to enjoy games, and the whole purpose of a customisable UI is to be able to, well, customise it to suit your own needs and preferences.

Taking down graphics quality for those whose PC can't support it is a basic option. Customisable volume sliders to suit individual hearing. High contrast modes for people with visual issues of one sort or another.

After all, auto decline for guild, trade, duel type invites has been around for ages, so, no, there isn't a presupposition of "it's group content; you should be interested or you shouldn't be playing an MMO". You can also (and I usually do for General chat) hit up chat settings and kill general chat, trade chat, even player 'say' and whisper if you want, if you're trying to film, for instance, so there's no reason at all to not have an opt out from this as well, if the pop up detracts from your gaming experience.

Edited by RowanThursday

Seriously, it would be very nice to see a dev, any dev, just come in this thread and give us a quick explanation. The truth. We're big kids, we can handle it.

Like, we don't know how to code the UI; we can only add to it. Or, we want to be like other MMOs where the honor the guilds by giving them control of planets (which doesn't make sense in this game because the guilds have zero control of the planets). Or, how bout EA told us we must have pop-ups in the middle of the screen that the player can't control cause evil... o.O

But yeah, back your decisions. Tell us why this is such a great feature and why after years you still won't change it and just keep adding to it. :confused:

Go do Revan hm or Styrak NiM and this stupid thing shows up and then wait a few sec for it to close...

Exactly. A few seconds of something blocking ur screen can lead to a wipe. There must be a way to turn this thing off.

There should be a way to disable this new "feature". It is very obstructive to playing the damn game. I know on our 16 man SnV last night I think we spent the bulk of it complaining about the stupid pop-up. And now, there's a built-in excuse for people doing dumb **** during raids that is very hard to argue with. Either take it away entirely, or give us options to move, resize, etc.

I am in the camp that it would be semi-useful if it didn't block the prime area of real estate of the screen and make playabilty suffer horribly as a result. Clearly an idiot who doesn't actually game designed it in its present state.

It's not just the Conquest pop up. They need to put all of them under the UI control.

Stronghold

DVL

Renown

Conquest

Guild Planet

Yeah, all of these "uncontrollable" pop-ups have bothered me since they were added. I hope the frequency and prevalence of this new one is finally the straw that broke the camel's back and people force the devs to take action to get them into the editor or at least give them all an on/off switch.

Every day I hear new complaints about it from people in raids who couldn't see or target something at an important moment. Most of the time it doesn't lead to a death or a wipe, but it's still a noticeable loss of efficiency.

Edited by Aulus_Claudius

What is the upside of having these pop-ups?

I mean, we all know the downsides, and I've yet to hear a single person speak in their defence other than one or two vague mutterings of people wanting other bugfixes to have priority; which isn't exactly a defence of the pop-up.

I havent, though, seen a single person putting an argument as to why you, I, or anyone else should be spammed by guild planetary "ownership" trivia, irrelevant trivia on what people's current average ls/ds choice ratio is, or pifflingly inconsequential micro-levelling minutiae?

So, anyone care to defend them?

I like it! But it's not that big on my interface and appears high up so not intrusive for me. Maybe you can reduce the size? I'm not sure about that though.

I would like to publicly declare I WAS SO SO SO WRONG and I've already slapped myself in the face! The novelty wore off very quickly after it kept popping in the middle of the screen for every little conquest related event complete. I DON'T CARE! This feature is now pissing me right off. +1 to turn this crap off and just make a tiny announcement in the chat box if you must...at least I can minimise that.

What is the upside of having these pop-ups?

So, anyone care to defend them?

I can defend them. Planetary ownership is a guild accomplishment. They are getting rewarded, in part, through the pop-up. It's rather unobtrusive overall. Of course I haven't experienced the sticking bug.

The DS/LS one I don't even notice, and it has never caused me difficulty.

The renown one is annoying and pointless, no defending that one. I could really care less that I got another reknown level and box to deconstruct. My annoyance with this one has grown with double XP.

The new one honesty could be the most useful of all of them. Gives me my conquest status on that toon without having to stop and pull up a menu or interface (I have 8 I do conquest on regularly and another 8 I sometimes do). However, it is now the worst because of it's size and positioning.

If I could move and resize it, I would love it. If the system would suppress it as a pending notification during combat, I could live with it. If I could just toggle the damn thing off, I could live without it as I have for years. As it stands, it is god awful.

I love raiding and do Ops all the time. It's bad enough in Story and a definite annoyance, especially when guildies are trying to learn mechanics and then can't see how to execute them. Higher level ops are hard enough without the UI actively making them harder. I need to be able to see to do mechanics. Pretty simple. And I'm sure the PvP crowd just loves it when it pops during an intense Warzone, lol.

Edited by Norag