Horrible Roadmap.

SaerethDL

I agree with Lhance here. Whatever they do, the people not seeing attention in that moment will complain.

I do a little of everything in this game. I came to it for story, got into PvE, and now am a PvPer. The point is: they are obviously shorthanded on people or knowledge and cannot manage to fulfill all 3 objectives simultaneously. Thus they are obviously rotating through which they choose to focus. The issue is, as always, the lack of communication of their vision and the positively snail pace at which even seemingly mundane things happen.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally belive this is true, for LOTRO. I caution against using it as proof of raid vs. pvp popularity in all games. I played LOTRO for probably a year at launch, putting plenty of time into the game. Yet I only did the first raid 1-2 times. In the same first year here, I probably did raids 2 times a week on average. This was in an relatively equal amount of total gaming time per week.

The reason is because the raids in LOTRO just weren't as accessible. G

And my experience is the exact opposite.

I was in a casual guild in LOTRO (still am I think) we raided only within the guild, no PUG members..

I've done all of Hele at least 40 times.

Rift 30+ times.

Filikul close to 50 times.

Dar Nar 50+.

Draigoch over 100 times.

Barad Guldur 40-50 times.

Orthanc 20+ times.

I've never raided in SWTOR, not even once - because it is much, much harder to get into Raid Groups / Guilds than it ever was in LOTRO.

All The Best

Story has been neglected for a year. Not just one update. I have had my characters nerfed because of whatever you re all whining about in PvP even though that doesn't affect me. A full season was cut from KOTET because raiders and PvPers screamed. Why was that okay?

Ultimately its not the players fault, but the studio, if it decides to listen to loud minority groups. Suspecting this happened and they cut a good part of the Knight's storyline, the raiders and pvpers can whine about slow or nonexistent queues all they want, as long as they know who is really to blame. I play all parts of the game and have for years but if it wasn't for the story i doubt I would have stayed that long, because nor the raids nor the pvp is of highest quality.

This model of delivering "content" led to the worst period for the game 2017-2018. It speaks volumes what type of content the majority prefers, The way the population has gone after the merges I can only imagine what it will be like until summer or the year ends.

As for this "expansion" i am pretty sure it will be the size of iokath give or take. It probably will be the final nail in the coffin.

Edited by ExarSun

Story has been neglected for a year. Not just one update. I have had my characters nerfed because of whatever you re all whining about in PvP even though that doesn't affect me. A full season was cut from KOTET because raiders and PvPers screamed. Why was that okay?

This is a story based game. It always has been. It should get regular content updates. The game has focused on story since the very start. KOTFE was no different from the heavy story focus of the vanilla stories or Makeb.

And again? I couldn't care less if you think it is selfish or entitled to actually want to get new content in the game I AM PAYING FOR and not see my sub dollars spent on content for others while I get nothing.

But again, hey, you guys won. Congrats. They have spent the last year stripping story content to nothing and the subs have continued to drop. Enjoy your empty servers and the inevitable maintenance mode when the game devs finally drive enough players away.

How many times do I have to repeat to you that I am not a PvPer? I find PvP about as fun as flossing with coarse wool yarn. As I said, the only thing I'm getting out of this roadmap is the stronghold, as I am a devoted player of the Better Spaceships and Gardens minigame. I'm primarily an RPer (which makes story and lore content extremely important to me) and secondarily a PvE player. However, unlike you, I can look beyond myself and realize a massively multiplayer online game has to provide actual multiplayer content that appeals to lots of different people in order to be successful. All the successful MMOs currently available provide content for many different playstyles, not just one. EA is not a charity. They want the game to make a profit, which means trying to pull in as many players as they can. If all you care about is story, go get some single player RPGs to feed that itch. It's what I do in story content droughts on here. That's what single player games are for.

Also, catering to casual solo/story players to the exclusion of all else is what tanked the population most recently in the game. It also tanked the population a few months after the game opened, when endgame/group content players found very little to keep them occupied and all the story players ran out of class story content. Your willful ignorance of those facts doesn't make them to away.

Also. story players and PvE players received the most recent drop of content, as well as the last two content patches, despite your complaining about how story players have somehow been neglected for a year. Discounting Nathema just because you didn't like the story doesn't mean it's not content. I wasn't all that impressed with the new op, but hey, it was content, I have to admit that. So now PvPers get a few months of focus. I can live with that. I'm not self-centered and entitled. I'll play the content I actually enjoy in the game and look forward to what fall and winter might bring.

P.S. I would LOVE it if EA could manage to provide content for multiple groups at once, and more often. But for whatever reason, they are incapable of doing so. If we don't like it, we can vote with our wallets and stop subscribing. It might suck, but that's reality for you.

Edited by AscendingSky

But some of the items in the roadmap are actually a big deal, especially in terms of game health.

• PvP Stronghold
  • PvP revamp
  • New Huttball WZ
  • REOPENING the PTS server -- closed since 4/13/2016.

OP, get your head out of the sand and pay attention. If I were you, I'd be worried about the expansion. From what Keith has hinted, it seems like 6.0 will be smaller than previous expansions.

I have to ask...what's so "big" about any one of these that you are willing to forgo 6+ months of any other content? Which one do you think is taking them 6 months to work on exactly?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm sincerely asking you. I just don't see anything that justifies 6+ months of nothing else...these are tweaks imo.

I have to ask...what's so "big" about any one of these that you are willing to forgo 6+ months of any other content? Which one do you think is taking them 6 months to work on exactly?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm sincerely asking you. I just don't see anything that justifies 6+ months of nothing else...these are tweaks imo.

I'm of a similar line of thinking.

That small amount of PVP content is great and all but something you should see in addition to something larger. Not a solo patch that is supposed to last 4-6 months and nothing else really addressed to be added to the game in that time when it comes to new playable content.

You ask "what they have been doing in the past 6 months?" And I ask you "what have they been doing in the past 2 years?" I don't expect much out of a .1 update -- they fit the pattern of the last 2 years(-ish) since Keith took over. But I do expect a large expansion, particularly since we did not have one last year.

I've said it before: I wish the devs would create expansions that cost money. Seriously -- shut up and take my money. I'd much rather spend money on an expansion than cosmetic items and gambling crates.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Thing is people always skip reading the TOS rules when you first sign up. Everyone does that. But, and here is the big but, if you had read it you would have seen that there is a clause that states essentially [im paraphrasing] you're paying for present content and they are under no obligation to adjust subscription fees for periods without new content added. All the MMOS have that clause.

And yes, you should have to pay for parts of the game you don't choose to play. They don't know what parts individuals may like or not. You might not like paying for things that you don't like playing, but I have to pay for developments in Conquest, Strongholds and crafting all aspects of the game they as far as I am concerned is total crap. I'm not interesting in any of those things, but, I should have to help pay for the development and maintaince of them.

Maintenance is the second clause of note in the TOS. We are all paying towards upkeep and maintaince costs which are a constant throughout the time of service.

You have to pay to go see the same movie in the movie theater you have already gone to see twice before. You don't get a discount for having seen it already. You pay full price every single time even though nothing new has been added. Same goes for Burger King, Car Washes, Taxis, Trains, Gas Stations and prostitutes. Doesn't matter that there has been nothing new added since the last time you used any of those services.

Furthermore you are also paying for unlimited access and benefits in the game that people who do not pay do not have. We own nothing in this game, every single part of it belongs to them including your characters. You are renting their creations. Think of it like an apartment. Same old place, nothing new, but you get to go anywhere in that apartment you like at anytime. You don't own that apartment, it still belongs to your landlord and is their property, you are merely renting the rights to use it. If you stop paying, chances are good you will notice a significant change in your living conditions before too long =p

You have already agreed to pay for all the things you are now taking exception with. We all want new content, of course and sure we might hope for more, but that's not something we can demand of them based on our current subscription obligations. Those we have already agreed to for the life of the subscription. Really the only control you have over the state of things is whether or not you continue to pay them a subscription fee, that you can stop and is entirely up to you.

There is a reason it's called 'the fine print', and yet we never read it heh.

That quote was taken out of context. In proper context one dude told me to pay for development of a new expansion out of my pocket if I want to see new content.. I told him why should I have to pay for a new expansion when EA is a billion dollar company. I have nothing against the sub fee, as long as I feel like I'm getting value out of it compared to other mmo's and games in the industry. Which imo, I am not right now. But yeah I have the option to not sub for a while or to never resub again.

Edited by SaerethDL

But you will. What's that say about your commitment to your own statements?

Maybe I will, it depends on if I like what I see, or if I just get bored enough and don't have any other games to play. If I was you I'd hope people like me decide to come back tho. One day ya'll are gonna keep wanting people to leave, and to have their stuff.. to never come back.. and one day you may find yourself alone. Be careful what you wish for.

Ultimately its not the players fault, but the studio, if it decides to listen to loud minority groups. Suspecting this happened and they cut a good part of the Knight's storyline, the raiders and pvpers can whine about slow or nonexistent queues all they want, as long as they know who is really to blame. I play all parts of the game and have for years but if it wasn't for the story i doubt I would have stayed that long, because nor the raids nor the pvp is of highest quality.

This model of delivering "content" led to the worst period for the game 2017-2018. It speaks volumes what type of content the majority prefers, The way the population has gone after the merges I can only imagine what it will be like until summer or the year ends.

As for this "expansion" i am pretty sure it will be the size of iokath give or take. It probably will be the final nail in the coffin.

I agree with this all. As for the players, I don't blame them for the studio's poor decisions but I do find it a bit rich that they apparently find it a moral outrage for story players to want more story in a story based game. Also find it hilarious that they complain nearly nonstop and yet apparently feel the need to denigrate others when they also speak up about content they would rather have. As mentioned every class character I have has been nerfed because of some PvP cpmplaint.

As mentioned every class character I have has been nerfed because of some PvP cpmplaint.

That is not true.

Maybe 50% (I made up this percentage for your enjoyment) of the nerfs are from Operations/PvE and the devs trying to bring the target numbers within the their ideal range. Also, did you notice they nerfed right before they introduced/released 236 augments? Why do you think that was? Another set of nerfs was from the devs trying to bring in line ideal class/spec balance. EX: ranged burst nerfed to the ground, melee DoT specs beefed up.

It's mildly annoying for people who never PvP to blame a PvP'ers. This is the very definition of ignorance. How the fk would you know they nerfed for PvP if you never PvP? No matter how many pitchforks and torches you bring against SWTOR PvP, it's not going to change how the game is balanced.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

i HONESTLY WOULDN'T COUNT ON 6.0 EVER HITTING. IF YOU LISTEN TO THE CONVERSATION IN THE YOU TUBE VID, THE INTERVIEWER COULDN'T GET THEM TO ACTUALLY COMMIT TO ANYTHING. PLUS WHENEVER I STARTED HEARING THE WELL THINGS CHANGE SO FAST WE DON'T WANT TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN ON THE ROADMAP BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS CHANGING. THAT'S THEIR OUT TRUST ME. (SORRY CAPS I'M AT WORK).

IF 2017 WAS ANY INDICATION OF THE AMOUNT OF CONTENT LETS PUT IT THIS WAY. THEY WRAPPED UP 2 FAIRLY BIG EXPANSIONS IN ABOUT 90 MINUTES WITH A STORY FLASHPOINT. I AM NOT VERY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THIS EXPANSION IF WE GET ONE. TO BE HONEST I FEEL THIS GAME IS STRINGING US ALONG UNTIL WE HAVE HELPED THEM FINISH ANTHEM AND THEN THEY WILL PULL THE PLUG ON THIS GAME.

I HAVE NEVER PLAYED ANY OTHER MMO, BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT ANY OF THEM HANDLE THEIR BUSINESS THE WAY BIOWARE DOES. IT'S SAD TO ME THAT THE STUDIO HAD SUCH A GOOD REPUTATION. IF THEY DO IN FACT PULL THE PLUG ON THIS GAME AFTER ANTHEM DO THEY HONEST THINK I WILL PLAY ANTHEM? DON'T COUNT ON IT. I HAVE TO MANY CONCERNS OVER EA AND ITS BUSINESS PRACTICES TO INVEST IN ANOTHER GAME EMOTIONALLY OR FINANCIALLY. BESIDES HISTORY HAS TAUGHT US THE LAUNCH WILL GO BAD THEN EA WITH JUST STOP SUPPORTING IT.

I DON'T POST A LOT BECUASE EVERYTIME I DO I GET AN EMAIL OR A BAN THREAT FROM BIOWARE. OH WELL. JUST WANTED TO THROW MY 2 CENTS IN FOR WHATS IT WORTH.

I’m guessing designing collision for thousands of objects that never had it before is a major roadblock. I remember Smedley’s promise of CD in galaxies

The community just eats this slop up! When you are starving, any amount of food taste good. We are a joke to them, they are pointing and laughing!

i find this to be one of the most prominent remark in OP original post

Can I have your stuff ?

You are clearly bored of this game... and no matter what Bioware does, you won't be happy.

PS: The majority of the people are happy with this roadmap. PVP was ignored for far too long.

you sir/miss are exactly the kinda person Op is referring too, when u are starving even bread crumbs will bring a smile to your face:confused::rolleyes:

you sir/miss are exactly the kinda person Op is referring too, when u are starving even bread crumbs will bring a smile to your face:confused::rolleyes:

To extend your metaphor ... a lot of us aren't starving for bread crumbs at all. We have internalized that the content we get here will come at a snail's pace.

As such, we find sustenance elsewhere (e.g. the new ESO expansion, Summerset, was just released today).

But when that slimy bit of SWTOR content slithers on to our plate -- we enjoy that succulent piece of escargot.

We just see no point in screaming at that chef for more escargot, or attacking the developers and making ridiculous claims like they are intentionally trying to run the game into the ground (not saying you fall in that category). Doing so fosters an environment that may well drive visitors to these forums away.

What we also find laughable (and patronizing) is when people (again, not saying you) invoke a false conciousness argument and try to argue that we aren't actually having fun and that we only think we are having fun. You come close to that argument, though, when you suggest we are "starving" -- as if we are incapable of deciding for ourselves both the amount and type of sustenance we need.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

To extend your metaphor ... a lot of us aren't starving for bread crumbs at all. We have internalized that the content we get here will come at a snail's pace.

As such, we find sustenance elsewhere (e.g. the new ESO expansion, Summerset, was just released today).

But when that slimy bit of SWTOR content slithers on to our plate -- we enjoy that succulent piece of escargot.

We just see no point in screaming at that chef for more escargot, or attacking the developers and making ridiculous claims like they are intentionally trying to run the game into the ground (not saying you fall in that category). Doing so fosters an environment that may well drive visitors to these forums away.

What we also find laughable (and patronizing) is when people (again, not saying you) invoke a false conciousness argument and try to argue that we aren't actually having fun and that we only think we are having fun. You come close to that argument, though, when you suggest we are "starving" -- as if we are incapable of deciding for ourselves both the amount and type of sustenance we need.

Dasty

Nicely stated Dasty. :)

To bring more light to that. Even you admit SWTOR is a game you would starve in and must go elsewhere to find nourishment. Thats pretty clear. You have accepted the poor performance of the kitchen but others have not. If they wanted to go to another place to eat they can but nothing wrong with expressing their favorite place should and needs do better.

Even when that gets on your plate, you still hope it prepared right for the little bit you do get. We can't say bioware does that with the little crumb you get. You see, most times it's best to Let the chef know your escargot had bugs in it and it wasn't prepared well at all and the portion size was much to small for the hype.

We just see no point...SNIP.

Yet others do. Because you see, you should speak up when you can given you paid for the crumbs.

Edited by Quraswren

And I've watched some brand new guilds, and others with more open minds and adaptability, really take off since the first changes. Doesn't mean they like it but they're not afraid of the change and make it work as the weeks go by.

Yes some left, but also yes some are really taking the reins and still working hard on it.

thats nice, I am sure the loss of those subscriptions will help keep the game going....wait..it wont.

thats nice, I am sure the loss of those subscriptions will help keep the game going....wait..it wont.

Exactly how I feel about this coming roadmap, it's going to drive away a lot of subscribers, but it will also bring back subscribers. so... which is better? bringing some back/new or chasing current away? because each update/change does both.

The fact remains that the numbers are never static, such is the way of mmo's. where one group leaves, another will come back and there's no definite, right now, that the new/staying is less or more then the leaving.

I simply pointed out a fact you obviously want to ignore.. that the hole is filled, either partially or completely, with a different group of players. This happens all the time, in every overhaul update.

Is it enough to fill the hole left behind? no-one will know unless we get numbers/stats from bioware past their stance on the matter. I will remain neutral on whether their statement is correct or not in the big picture. Only they know, due to server data.

I believe the PvP roadmap for summer (winter for me) will drive more away then will stay, but I also believe the PvP tweaks (it is a tiny tiny "update" overall, seriously) are needed for the long term even if it will cause issues/harms large chunks of the community in regards to numbers dropping in the short term.

Edited by Asmodesu

I agree. I think this roadmap is weak and is going to hurt PvEers and Story folk...but PvPers did need some love.

My main complaint is that this roadmap is little more than tweaks to PvP...seriously, cross faction doesn't add anything "new", it just allows for faster queues. A new Huttball map is fine, but really? After Queshball, I don't want them to make another - Quesh is by far the worst map they ever devised. A new arena is nice, but it's literally a room...what does that take to design, a day? The new stronghold is an interesting idea, but I don't expect much from it.

Again, I agree with you that this roadmap is weak, it's also hardly revolutionary to PvP...just don't blame PvPers for this smoke and mirror attempt to feign content when it's seriously minor tweaks to existing systems.

you are right..this isnt a pvp expansion....its a bunch of tiny line items that say pvp but no real expansion. people see

1. xxxxxpvpxxxxxx

2. xxxxxpvpxxxxx

3 xxxxpvpxxxxxx

and they think its a huge pvp bonanza...its not, the roadmap didnt have much meat to it.

I am not a pvper, you couldnt pay me to pvp. I dont mind pvpers getting some love, I would prefer they get a hot date with a supermodel rather than a peck on the cheek from grandma.

Edited by ivanhedgehog

you are right..this isnt a pvp expansion....its a bunch of tiny line items that say pvp but no real expansion. people see

1. xxxxxpvpxxxxxx

2. xxxxxpvpxxxxx

3 xxxxpvpxxxxxx

and they think its a huge pvp bonanza...its not, the roadmap didnt have much meat to it.

I am not a pvper, you couldnt pay me to pvp. I dont mind pvpers getting some love, I would prefer they get a hot date with a supermodel rather than a peck on the cheek from grandma.

Trust me, most pvpers are happy with this road map because we usually get no attention. Plus its addressing some key issues and some that have been plaguing pvp for years, like hackers,

We get crossfaction, which is a big plus for a lot of players,

We get match making in regs for the first time in 6 years

(These 2 items alone got me excited because it will help queue times)

We get a new map

What people don’t realise is pvpers don’t need a heap of content all the time. Of course new maps are always welcome.

What we want is for the fundamentals of pvp to be fixed. Most of us would be happy with just some balance and matchmaking.

Also, those things they announce like crossfaction and a matchmaking system would take a lot of work to do. It’s better they spend the resources on fixing things in pvp than on multiple maps.

So I actually think this is a good road map. I rate it at 80% or 4 out of 5 stars. The only thing missing from it for me is incentives to get people to play lower tiered pvp and to bring back 8 man ranked. If they’d done that I would give them 95% approval (they lose 5% on principle because they haven’t said they are going to fix current bugs or WZ desync).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Trust me, most pvpers are happy with this road map because we usually get no attention. Plus its addressing some key issues and some that have been plaguing pvp for years, like hackers,

We get crossfaction, which is a big plus for a lot of players,

We get match making in regs for the first time in 6 years

(These 2 items alone got me excepted because it will help queue times)

We get a new map

What people don’t realise is pvpers don’t need a heap of content all the time. Of course new maps are always welcome.

What we want is for the fundamentals of pvp to be fixed. Most of us would be happy with just some balance and matchmaking.

Also, those things they announce like crossfaction and a matchmaking system would take a lot of work to do. It’s better they spend the resources on fixing things in pvp than on multiple maps.

So I actually think this is a good road map. I rate it at 80% or 4 out of 5 stars. The only thing missing from it for me is incentives to get people to play lower tiered pvp and to bring back 8 man ranked. If they’d done that I would give them 95% approval (they lose 5% on principle because they haven’t said they are going to fix current bugs or WZ desync).

I only play PVP in this game.. 90% of my activity is that and I am quite happy with the roadmap even if the seem to be introducing cross faction. I can live with that.

It's time Bioware turns an eye to this game's hardcore base because they cattered to casuals for far too long....

I only play PVP in this game.. 90% of my activity is that and I am quite happy with the roadmap even if the seem to be introducing cross faction. I can live with that.

It's time Bioware turns an eye to this game's hardcore base because they cattered to casuals for far too long....

While I'm not happy about the full cross faction thingy, I am nonetheless impressed by many things it addressed regarding PVP. Clearly they have been paying attention to what people have been talking about and expressing on the forums about PVP. I found that to be very promising and I think it should serve as some kind of testament that the 'doomers and gloomers' aren't right, maintenance mode is not on the agenda, and that they are trying to do the best that they can with what they are working with due to EA's pulling the pocket strings. EA is the problem, not BW.

That realization alone made me happy with the roadmap despite the full cross faction thingy, which I hate.

They are trying, and ya gotta call a spade a spade.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

PvP update great for PvPers and I hope that it is everything they hope for and more. I really hope it makes PvP worthwhile and restores (or introduces) some amazing faction loyalty and comradeship, something to give a meaning for Imperial or Republic soldiers to battle out for control of the galaxy. And not as my personal bugbear dying to amuse a Hutt. A Sith Warrior kills Hutts, he doesn't play their stupid game for some tokens.

So this is a summer for PvP and I hope it will be great for them. Equally though they have to put their money where their passion lies, I hope the PvP community invests heavily in the game and makes this Summer of SWTOR a profitable one, as we all know profits are what EA loves. More profits then more improvements.

Personally I don't find SWTOR PvP my thing. Nothing against those that do, but I always cringe a lot when I get Huttball, its not the Star Wars Story I want to tell for my character that he would sign up to be a frogrot or whatever to die to make a Hutt happy. So I will be continuing my exploration of Summerset or the Gamma Quadrant. But that doesn't mean I don't hope come next year the game hasn't turned its current decline round and we see content everyone can enjoy and I will be able to continue on my Sith Warriors adventures, crushing the republic and rising to new height though anything has to be better than his loss of the Eternal fleet (and F Off from Zakuul) that the story left on.

As such, we find sustenance elsewhere (e.g. the new ESO expansion, Summerset, was just released today.

To bring more light to that. Even you admit SWTOR is a game you would starve in and must go elsewhere to find nourishment. Thats pretty clear. You have accepted the poor performance of the kitchen but others have not. If they wanted to go to another place to eat they can but nothing wrong with expressing their favorite place should and needs do better.

Even when that gets on your plate, you still hope it prepared right for the little bit you do get. We can't say bioware does that with the little crumb you get. You see, most times it's best to Let the chef know your escargot had bugs in it and it wasn't prepared well at all and the portion size was much to small for the hype.

We just see no point...SNIP..

Yet others do. Because you see, you should speak up when you can given you paid for the crumbs.

Nicely Stated Quraswren :)

Edited by Lt-Snake