@EA. Just so you know. I'm not spending a dime on Anthem

OneHit

Anthem looks like generic trash to me so I wont be playing it.

The people thinking EA would be in any financial trouble if Anthem bombs are delusional at best.

Madden and Fifa are two of the top selling games every year. I stopped buying their repackaged pixels years ago but that doesnt mean that there arent suckers out there that fork over good money for their yearly fix.

The other people thinking Disney gives a crap about Swtor and might possibly pull the IP are equally delusional.

Disney only cares about the money. That much was evident with the new trilogy. If we're lucky, Disney will make a new Star Wars MMO once the EA licence is up. I doubt it would be any good tho considering how poorly the new trilogy is being handled and the end of the Jedi and Sith factions. The most likely scenario sees us getting plenty of more trashy battlefront sequels and some generic one player games. A successful Marvel MMO would greatly increase the chances of Disney making a Star Wars MMO tho.

It's not a matter about "pulling the ip". The IP contract has been well-known since 2013 when it was first hyped, and equally known is its finality in 2023. There is no tug of war here. The contract. Simply. Ends.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a matter about "pulling the ip". The IP contract has been well-known since 2013 when it was first hyped, and equally known is its finality in 2023. There is no tug of war here. The contract. Simply. Ends.

Well i guess you're not one of the delusional people asking. for. it. to. be. pulled.

(I can do random punctuation too)

Something that often gets lost in threads about the future of SWTOR and EA's Star Wars games: there is a difference between the 10-year exclusivity agreement that EA signed with Disney in 2013, as opposed to the lifespan / renewal period of EA's license for using the Star Wars IP in connection with this (or any other) specific game.

The 2013-2023 agreement is a contract wherein Disney agreed "Hey, EA, for the next ten years, in exchange for [REDACTED] we agree that we will not enter into any agreements with Activision, or Sega, or CD Projekt Red, etc., etc., etc., to produce new mainstream Star Wars games or develop any in-house -- you're the only one who gets access to the license for mainstream video games during that time."

Before that agreement, LucasArts made all kinds of one-off agreements with different publishers and developers to make Star Wars games, which is why you had Petroglyph making Empire at War at the same time that Pandemic was making (the original) Battlefront II, and LucasArts was making Republic Commando in-house.

Once 2023 rolls around, Disney / LucasArts can go back to that original spreading-the-license-around approach for future games (which, as a consumer, I hope they do), or they can go ahead and sign another exclusivity deal with EA or with another company for future games. But that probably won't directly affect existing games. No one went around burning all the copies of The Force Unleashed II in 2013 when EA got the exclusive rights, and you can still buy Empire at War on Steam.

An ongoing title, like SWTOR, certainly has some sort of renewal period (or conditions under which the license can be pulled from it), but whatever contract controls EA's continuing use of the Star Wars license for this game would have been inked back around when development actually started, years before the 2013 deal. That's the agreement that would include terms for whether that license has to be periodically renewed and, if so, how often.

Edited by DarthDymond

Something that often gets lost in threads about the future of SWTOR and EA's Star Wars games: there is a difference between the 10-year exclusivity agreement that EA signed with Disney in 2013, as opposed to the lifespan / renewal period of EA's license for using the Star Wars IP in connection with this (or any other) specific game.

The 2013-2023 agreement is a contract wherein Disney agreed "Hey, EA, for the next ten years, in exchange for [REDACTED] we agree that we will not enter into any agreements with Activision, or Sega, or CD Projekt Red, etc., etc., etc., to produce new mainstream Star Wars games or develop any in-house -- you're the only one who gets access to the license for mainstream video games during that time."

Before that agreement, LucasArts made all kinds of one-off agreements with different publishers and developers to make Star Wars games, which is why you had Petroglyph making Empire at War at the same time that Pandemic was making (the original) Battlefront II, and LucasArts was making Republic Commando in-house.

Once 2023 rolls around, Disney / LucasArts can go back to that original spreading-the-license-around approach for future games (which, as a consumer, I hope they do), or they can go ahead and sign another exclusivity deal with EA or with another company for future games. But that probably won't directly affect existing games. No one went around burning all the copies of The Force Unleashed II in 2013 when EA got the exclusive rights, and you can still buy Empire at War on Steam.

An ongoing title, like SWTOR, certainly has some sort of renewal period (or conditions under which the license can be pulled from it), but whatever contract controls EA's continuing use of the Star Wars license for this game would have been inked back around when development actually started, years before the 2013 deal. That's the agreement that would include terms for whether that license has to be periodically renewed and, if so, how often.

EA has done nothing to date to assure its SWTOR player base that such is their intention. Indeed, by cannibalizing its workforce to work on Anthem, they're heading for the doors, not waiting around for their exclusive license to end.

Can you imagine EA attempting to compete in an open marketplace on Star Wars games? They'd be slaughtered. No. EA has done nothing nothing nothing to show it is doing anything other than bolting for the exit on the Star Wars IP as its exclusive agreement approaches its end. If EA wanted to prove to its SWTOR playerbase that it intends to invest in the future of the game, they wouldn't have gutted its development team for something else.

It is just as empty of a hope that a non-exclusive environment (a suddenly competitive Star Wars-content marketplace) would entice EA to stick around with the SW IP to duke it out with other companies as it is for SWTOR fans to wish the IP license is pulled in the hopes the game would be taken up by another software house.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Anthem never really interested me. If I want to play an FPS I'll just go and play any of the 10+ titles I already own that I know I enjoy. Why bother with this new Destiny rip-off? I still like FIFA, so I might not boycott EA entirely, but I'm less inclined to buy other games from them after this whole fiasco. I'm still upset about what happened with Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Except all signs indicate that they rolled the original SWTOR 5 year agreement into the new 10 year umbrella agreement.

If you were correct.. then the license would have expired in 2016... which clearly it did not.. as we saw absolutely no announcements about re-upping the agreement... and yet.. SWTOR is still alive and kicking.

You know.. this sort of protest thread would get a lot more actual traction over in the EA forums, or wherever Anthem is discussed in advance of it's release. You know.. where actual EA marketing and management might actually see your protests.

By the way.. Anthem may not make it to release, as EA has demonstrated that they can and will pull the plug on a game in development that does not meet it's feature and performance milestones. Anthem is NOT the first redirect of developer assets at Bioware over the last several years.

You know.. this sort of protest thread would get a lot more actual traction over in the EA forums, or wherever Anthem is discussed in advance of it's release. You know.. where actual EA marketing and management might actually see your protests.
I gotta say, this could be a good idea. Although I doubt any EA management ever read the forums, it's a better than posting it here where nobody gives a ****.

Never understood the posts that seem to be "Hope it fails...so people can lose work!" :p

That said, no intention to play it at all, just by the trailer I did see. Looks flashy for sure. Looks to also lack immersion.

Trailer made it seem like your avatar is in fact, in a game. :p Not a new world of it's own.

By the way.. Anthem may not make it to release, as EA has demonstrated that they can and will pull the plug on a game in development that does not meet it's feature and performance milestones. Anthem is NOT the first redirect of developer assets at Bioware over the last several years.

Maybe someone ought to copy & paste all the replies into an OP there.

A very good point. Does anyone have an account on one of those forums? It may do nothing at all, but there is nothing wrong with putting our voices out there. The more places that people post this sort of thing the higher the chances are that someone WILL see it. I've also been posting tweets on the EA and BW twitter accounts. Aside from keeping my subscription going there isn't a whole lot more that I can do. Even if it has no effect, I can say I tried.

If SWTOR ends be it by EA or Disney especially over all those screaming gamers calling Disney to take Star Wars away from EA in a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" fit.

(I'm not here to discuss the right and wrongs about loot boxes I understand the anger towards them but these fans are harming other fans by this action especially us here who have invested time and money in this game, so honestly their arguments are coming across to me as self righteous more than anything.)

and fans who want SWTOR are thrown under the bus to please that crowd.

Not only will I be boycotting Anthem. I will never buy another Bioware, EA, Disney game/product in my life.

I don't even know what Anthem is (except that it is a new BW game which takes most of their resources). And I don't care. I am absolutely not interested in it unless it's a RPG set in the Old Republic era or in the Dark Eye world (which I'm 100% sure it is not).

This for me too.

I'm not spending a dime on Anthem either. I like SWTOR. I don't want some shooter game that will more than likely bomb. Why not invest the money into swtor and actually put thought into it?

Oh, and if Bioware reads this, don't turn the future companion returns into 2 min cutscenes ago. Put SOME thought into them please? Thanks.

I Support this Thread and thank you for opening this.

I feel the same like so many other People.

No EA and Bioware, i will not buy Anthem! :cool:

What EA is doing with SWTOR its so sad. SWTOR is a wonderful game with wonderful Story. Its so much Star Wars and its in the Old Republic Era. You can do so much Story in this Game. The Ambience in this game is fantastic! I Love this Game. The ingame Music is so fantastic.

From 2015 come out 2 of 3 Star Wars movies of a new Triology and 1 One other movie (Rouge One). We have 1 new animated Series (Star Wars Rebels). The Young Han Solo movie appear in spring 2018. Disney announced a Further Star Wars Triology and i think a Boba Fett movie, We can call this a Star Wars decade full of new Movies and Storys.

And what is doing EA and Bioware. Oh, No, Star Wars is bad. We will not do new Content for SWTOR or make new Star Wars games. :eek: Especially no new Star Wars RPG!

EA killed Star Wars Battlefront 2 with their Pay to Win an bad Lootbox System. But hey dear Gamers its exciting :rolleyes:

How can a Company be so dumb? Its incredible!

But But But. EA will only our hard earnd Money! :rolleyes:

If it's a success and BioWare is saved that cash will be invested into Dragon Age 4, and if that's a success the cash will be put into Anthem 2, etc, etc. SWTOR will continue to get the scraps.

I know this is on like page 7... but yeah... this... so much... previously swtor was left to rot for ME:A, now its on hold to anthem, and will follow suite from what the prophet Kodrac predicted.

Edited by peter_plankskull

Only a few things can alter the course of what EA/BW has chosen to do in prioritizing Anthem over SWTOR.

A significant revenue drop in SWTOR might be noticed, it may also more likely result in the game getting axed, although that is a massive investment they would be writing off. Lots of assets and collars sent to the dumpster.

Embarrassment at press events or anything that would spoil Anthem's smooth rollout, diverting attention away from the new product would certainly get attention. This is where it is helpful to have friends in media. I have none, but if I did I would definitely offer a controversial story for them. The press definitely enjoyed the chaos of Battlefront II. It was a juicy David-topples-Goliath story. Anthem speculation that can be spun into a redux or sequel on Battlefront is so juicy, it practically writes itself.

I would LOVE to see an article in the Wall Street Journal titled "Angry Star Wars Fans Threatening Beleaguered EA's Next Big Gamble, "Anthem." With the first part stating.

"What happened with Star Wars Battlefront II was every game company's worst nightmare. Fans who you can normally count on supporting an IP became enraged and attacked not just the product, but the model designed to generate revenue. The media coverage is so ruthless that sales are damaged and your Parent IP holder puts you on notice for your failure. It would appear that EA wants to put that behind them with their newest IP, Anthem. This massive investment by EA is targeted for release in the near future with hopes that it will join Call of Duty and Halo as the next industry cash-cow. However, a small story on the website Kotaku has gotten the ever-testy and vocal Star Wars fanbase worked up, and this time their ire seems to be targeted on EA's yet-to-be released and most precious golden goose....is history getting ready to repeat itself?"

Can you imagine the hysteria at the Headquarters Office in Redwood City? I would love to see an infuriated Andrew Wilson calling Keith and yelling "FIX THIS! IF YOU NEED MORE RESOURCES, YOU CAN HAVE THEM, WE CANNOT HAVE ANOTHER BATTLEFRONT 2 WITH ANTHEM, GET YOUR PLAYERS IN LINE, NOW!!!"

Ahhhhh, it a pleasant fantasy of mine.

I just want more story content and am happy to pay through the nose for it. Nothing irritates me more than throwing wads of cash at a business and they look at you with a vacant look and just walk off.

Everyone that posts in this thread is spending money on swtor- as is required to do so for forum privileges.

So essentially many are broadcasting the notion that "this game isn't receiving the support it needs yet I'm still paying".

Why on earth would this have any effect on the current stance of EA devoting more resources to a new game currently in development? As long as you're granting them money for one of their products, they're happy- just like any business.

Except all signs indicate that they rolled the original SWTOR 5 year agreement into the new 10 year umbrella agreement.

If you were correct.. then the license would have expired in 2016... which clearly it did not.. as we saw absolutely no announcements about re-upping the agreement... and yet.. SWTOR is still alive and kicking.

Maybe my Google-fu is simply coming up short on this, but is there any actual source for the notion that there was originally a five-year license? The only thing I could find was a thread on these forums from a year-and-a-half ago where a user made the bald assertion that the license was for five years, without any cited source or support.

Edited by DarthDymond

• 3 weeks later...
....and your Parent IP holder puts you on notice for your failure.

This gave me an idea for the next EA/SW Charlie Foxtrot: someone with better Photoshop skills than I should create an image of Vader choking out Admiral Ozzel, but with Mouse ears on Vader and EA on Ozzel with the caption "you have failed me for the last time."

I can't imagine Disney would take kindly to more of these kerfuffles with one of their biggest IPs.

Wont be playing Anthem. Has no appeal to me. Bioware has a great history to me. But, dealing with popular and expensive IPs usually sees companies attempt to forge their own ip eventually. Its got to be pretty hard to compete with Star Wars ip in gaming i would imagine. Also, seems like the Geek World is being scrambled. Movies, TV, games, comics etc...

Oh well,

Ashur