@EA. Just so you know. I'm not spending a dime on Anthem

OneHit

I don't think Anthem is meant for the SWTOR audience, but rather for the audience that plays games like Overwatch or Destiny. Those games are wildly popular. I find it hard to believe any game developer makes another game with the intention of pulling away players from their other games. Especially when the type of games are vastly different.

So for everyone who wont spend a dime on Anthem such as myself, they aren't exactly expecting us to.

This may be the case but I wonder if they expected us to still sink money into the company in other ways like say the next dragon age game, or mass effect game if they ever make another of it.

I know I wont be. I'm done and once swtor is done (the last ea im still spending $$ on currently). After the way they have ditched this game of late and ditched andromeda dlc I no longer trust them at all. Theyve already ditched what work had been done on the next dragon age game and put it back on the drawining board to be started over.

I cant speak for others of course but before they dropped andromeda for anthem i used to support many other EA games like SW: Galaxy of Heros and also games like the sims. After Andromeda got ditched I ditched everything EA except for SWTOR. You cant screw over customers and expect them to continue supporting you. Hubvy and I both stopped purchasing anything in GoH, we now play it completely f2p.

I stopped buying the sims expansion packs.

I wont be buying the next dragon age or mass effect games should they see the light of day.

its not just anthem i am not going to support - I no longer support ANYTHING EA other then SWTOR, it was their chance to redeem themselves to me and they have failed to do so. Once I choose to stop supporting SWTOR EA is done for me entirely.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same from me, no money for Anthem as I did not buy ME:A either (long time first day Bioware game buyer since Baldur's Gate I, first time I waited for reviews, seems like I was right not to jump into ME:A), I will keep subbing to SWTOR until it's shut down, if for nothing else, the stories that are still there to play. When it's gone, I disappear for EA financially.

I'm sure Beamdog, Obsidian and inExile (and any other developer that still produces single player focused RPGs) will welcome the extra money I will have freed up and the extra time I will have to play their games.

Edited by Galahard

If Anthem is a financial success, the only place the money generated from it will go is shareholder pockets and Anthem 2.

Probably true, but BW having a success under its belt may keep the lights on, whereas if it flops then EA's pretty likely to shutter the whole studio at this point, with SWTOR getting canned along with it.

SWTOR in maintenance mode (which it isn't quite to the point of, yet) is still better than SWTOR being sunset (sunsetted?).

Edited by DarthDymond

My subscription runs out very soon and I will not enable Bioware and EA to use my money to fund their lootbox lottery shooter any longer. Am I going to delete all my characters and give away all my stuff? No. I still have a microscopic piece of hope that this game will turn around.

I have a feeling Anthem is going to be Bioware's nail in the coffin. If they shut down, the real talent from the BW we know and love can form their own studio and start from the beginning.

Probably true, but BW having a success under its belt may keep the lights on, whereas if it flops then EA's pretty likely to shutter the whole studio at this point, with SWTOR getting canned along with it.

SWTOR in maintenance mode (which it isn't quite to the point of, yet) is still better than SWTOR being sunset (sunsetted?).

BioWare HAD successes when it was allowed to be BioWare and make the games BioWare was good at and famous for. EA doesn't give a crap about that, a game wont be considered a success to them unless its fully priced at $60 but ALSO full of lootboxes and microtransactions that young teens who don't know any different will buy up with their mom's credit cards and that kind of garbage isn't worth anything to me. It's worse than nothing, it's an ongoing taunt and reminder that EA bought, gutted, ruined, and completely killed my favorite game company of all time. A BioWare that churns out generic online lootbox FPS games isn't a BioWare I recognize or want to see. Personally since EA is never going to let BioWare go back to its roots of offline, single player, character, story, and choice driven RPGs I'd rather see this shambling corpse struggling along wearing BioWare's face be put out of its misery. I hope EA sells the Mass Effect and Dragon Age IPs to some company who actually cares about them and wants to make a good game.

This to me is the black cat walking by then re-walking by a second later.

SOE pulled staff from Matrix on Line (maybe SWG too IDK though) for their next greatest hit - The Agency.

With no love and support people were leaving MxO like rats on a sinking ship, With few players SOE decided MxO servers should go dark. They did but The Agency never saw the light of day anyway it was axed in development when SOE closed studios.

Granted MxO was a niche game; SWTOR isnt. On the basis of the 'stealing' of devs from MxO to work on The Agency to the detriment of MxO - many players said "I'll never play The Agency."

Seems like deja vu all over. Although I think SWTOR is robust enough to last past Anthem's failure (fingers crossed) where the boffins at EA return the devs back to working on SWTOR.

That said, "I'll never play Anthem."

I don't think Anthem is meant for the SWTOR audience, but rather for the audience that plays games like Overwatch or Destiny. Those games are wildly popular. I find it hard to believe any game developer makes another game with the intention of pulling away players from their other games. Especially when the type of games are vastly different.

So for everyone who wont spend a dime on Anthem such as myself, they aren't exactly expecting us to.

My thoughts exactly. I played through the campaign of Destiny and it was okay, but certainly weak in the RPG elements, though that wasn't their intended audience. So far nothing in Anthem terribly interests me.

But, no offense, in some ways this thread is pretty silly. One of two things is likely true IMHO:

1) If the game comes out and is awesome, I can't imagine many of these threats to 'boycott' the game are terribly credible. I didn't like Dragon Age 2, but I thought they turned it around with Inquisition. Anyone who didn't play DA: I b/c DA: 2 sucked missed out on a lot.

The second more likely issue is that:

2) The genre of the game doesn't interest you b/c it's a shooter and has no apparent RPG elements, or very minimal ones.

That's fine and all, but that's a bit like me going to a priest and saying I'm giving up women for Lent.:rak_03:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Personally since EA is never going to let BioWare go back to its roots of offline, single player, character, story, and choice driven RPGs I'd rather see this shambling corpse struggling along wearing BioWare's face be put out of its misery.

Why?

I fully support someone who doesn't enjoy the game anymore making the decision to stop playing / withdraw their financial support from the game (which, per your signature, it looks like you're doing), but at the end of the day there are still people who do enjoy it and want to be able to continue playing. If someone doesn't like the game, all they have to do is stop playing, and they will receive the same 'benefit', so to speak, that they'd get from the game shutting down -- the only difference is that if the game does shut down, the people who still like it (or would potentially experience it for the first time) will no longer have the option to play.

tl;dr: We each already have the option to stop playing, all a shutdown does is take away the option to keep playing from everyone.

Edited by DarthDymond

My thoughts exactly. I played through the campaign of Destiny and it was okay, but certainly weak in the RPG elements, though that wasn't their intended audience. So far nothing in Anthem terribly interests me.

But, no offense, in some ways this thread is pretty silly. One of two things is likely true IMHO:

1) If the game comes out and is awesome, I can't imagine many of these threats to 'boycott' the game are terribly credible. I didn't like Dragon Age 2, but I thought they turned it around with Inquisition. Anyone who didn't play DA: I b/c DA: 2 sucked missed out on a lot.

The second more likely issue is that:

2) The genre of the game doesn't interest you b/c it's a shooter and has no apparent RPG elements, or very minimal ones.

That's fine and all, but that's a bit like me going to a priest and saying I'm giving up women for Lent.:rak_03:

Dasty

The only way I thought they turned it around in terms of DA:I was making big and unique maps instead of re-used maps and letting you play as a non human. In other ways DA:I was worse such as the power requirements system which forced you to grind crap "side quests" that involved herding goats and finding lost rings in order to progress the main plot, the characters weren't as good, neither were their personal quests, the hair looked like it was designed by an unpaid intern, etc...The stories in DA2 and DA:I were both weak. I honestly wish I hadn't played DA:I or ME3. Of course both fall far short of DA:O in my book.

I doubt anyone thinks anyone from BioWare, let alone an EA bigwig will see these posts let alone care but it's cathartic to air your grievances with like minded people.

Why?

I fully support someone who doesn't enjoy the game anymore making the decision to stop playing / withdraw their financial support from the game (which, per your signature, it looks like you're doing), but at the end of the day there are still people who do enjoy it and want to be able to continue playing. If someone doesn't like the game, all they have to do is stop playing, and they will receive the same 'benefit', so to speak, that they'd get from the game shutting down -- the only difference is that if the game does shut down, the people who still like it (or would potentially experience it for the first time) will no longer have the option to play.

tl;dr: We each already have the option to stop playing, all a shutdown does is take away the option to keep playing from everyone.

Read the entirety of my post which you quoted and you'll have the answer as to why I would like seeing "BioWare" dissolved: It's no longer making the games it did when it was BioWare, it's a soulless husk of its former self and will never be able to make those single player story driven RPGs again. Its existence is a slap in the face. I don't want SWtOR shut down, but I think it will be soon and when that happens it will have been the final game made by the real BioWare. Anthem and whatever generic crap comes after doesn't need the BioWare logo slapped on it, any random division of EA can do that garbage. I want EA to sell the rights to Mass Effect and Dragon Age so that someday we have a chance of getting not only another of those games but a GOOD one that isn't a half-assed, poorly managed, microtransaction cash grab.

My current dream is to have one of two things happen. Not that it will, this is pie in the sky, but in the name of wishful thinking:

1. Disney is displeased with EA enough that they offer an ultimatum: EA will return SWTOR to full focus and funding or they will take steps to revoke EA's Star Wars license entirely due to breach of contract or failure to meet standards or something.

2. Disney takes steps to get SWTOR sold to another studio who is prepared to shower it with love. I know there are a lot of legalities here, v/o artists' contracts to transfer, the game engine, etc. but considering it's Disney, I think that if anyone has the deep pockets to do this, it's them.

We're a drop in the bucket compared to their worldwide sports titles. I'm sure they'll be broken up about it...

This.

Right or wrong (mostly wrong), Madden and its exclusive relationship with the NFL and NFLPA is and always will be a license to print money.

That one title alone makes EA largely immune to any kind of player boycott. And that's before we even clear the trash before the FIFA boss.

My dream would be to have Disney lay down an ultimatum regarding customer satisfaction, at least with regards to the licenses they own. I would love it if Disney would fine EA heavily for each large player outcry until they start to turn their public image around.

After the disaster that was BF2, I ain't either.

I bought the Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition (which I still can't download from the buggy PS Store, and have to use my CD), and I STILL couldn't play the way I wanted without spending HUNDREDS more. Yep. $100 to NOT be able to play like I want, and I don't even get all the DLC! Screw EA, done with all their games.

Very happy they may be leaving EA. Just hope it doesn't spell the end of SWTOR.

Edited by TheLexinator

I’m not a big shooter fan to begin with, so it’s not like I was all fired up to get in on the ground floor of Anthem. But, while I was planning to try it out when I first saw it, I’m not so sure I feel the same way now. I haven’t played any other EA games, but if the slowly decaying carcass that is SWTOR represents the typical lifecycle of an EA game, consider me unimpressed with their commitment to the customer experience.

I won’t touch Anthem. Anyone Remeber The Original Crysis game? I still can’t play it to it’s entirety. Furthest I made it iirc was when the shell explodes and freezes the doctor....

Never touched it after that. I tried to play the half sequel but the indestructible tank at the start I was done. Again another great game but totally unplayable. Or gamebreaking issues. Question EA: is SimCity 4 the only game that doesn’t have game breaking bugs?

I don’t do sports games but does EA still have an NHL series?? How does this all realate to SWTOR? Well from Crysis to SWTOR how many games do have issues still and what games don’t? I think there might be a “pattern” to the type of games you produce... Sims Online? Warhammer Online? /sigh so sad.

The ongoing trend toward making shooters simply points to how much games have been dumbed down over the past few decades. I'll never touch Anthem or any other shooter.

who needs a shooter when you can use Explosives?? https://crytivo.com/en/cefore

I am a gamer just doing what gamers do. for the little it does cost it goes a long ways here, alpha and beta, pretty darn cool little game :cool:

Anthem looks like generic trash to me so I wont be playing it.

The people thinking EA would be in any financial trouble if Anthem bombs are delusional at best.

Madden and Fifa are two of the top selling games every year. I stopped buying their repackaged pixels years ago but that doesnt mean that there arent suckers out there that fork over good money for their yearly fix.

The other people thinking Disney gives a crap about Swtor and might possibly pull the IP are equally delusional.

Disney only cares about the money. That much was evident with the new trilogy. If we're lucky, Disney will make a new Star Wars MMO once the EA licence is up. I doubt it would be any good tho considering how poorly the new trilogy is being handled and the end of the Jedi and Sith factions. The most likely scenario sees us getting plenty of more trashy battlefront sequels and some generic one player games. A successful Marvel MMO would greatly increase the chances of Disney making a Star Wars MMO tho.