Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

NuSeC

... someone who learns how to fight WITHOUT the use of the force will generally be more versed in combat specifically because they do NOT use the force as a crutch to augment their fighting. When they finally do end up tapping into the force their fighting level will be higher then that of someone who has always only ever fought WITH the force. I'm talking about martial combat here obviously not the use of force powers...

I agree with this. Case in point in the SW universe: - Darth Maul. In all the novels it states he purposely develops his combat skills to be top notch and not dependent upon his force abilities, such as when he fights the Mandalorians.

That said, I am a bit disappointed with some of the "Disneyfication" of the SW story. I'd like there to be more story behind Snoke, etc. Where did he come from? From whence is his power? Where is the back lore? With Palpatine, at least with the Plagieus novel, you had that.

Too much however, has become simply, to quote Spaceballs.... "Merchandising". those Pogos or whatever you call them.... worse than ewoks. . But, I always liked the stories like the Darth Bane novels better than some of the other things that had more "kid" appeal, having not "grown up" with SW (I was already in college in '77 when SW first came out).

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) Again, we went through the entire OT without any explanation about The Emperor's history and rise to power, the Rule of 2, or the Sith at all (the word "Sith" is never even mentioned on-screen before TPM) - not sure why "he's a bad guy in charge who uses the Dark Side" worked fine for being The Emperor's entire backstory for 15 years, but it's an issue for Snoke.

(2) When is it ever stated that Snoke is a "Sith"? He certainly uses the Dark Side, but just like Luke's "first lesson" to Rey is that the Jedi don't have a monopoly on the Light, why would the Sith be the only Dark Siders? The EU / Legends and the New Canon already both have long had other Dark Side users (Inquisitors and Nightsisters to name a couple).

In fact JJ has stated outright that Snoke is not Sith. Since he has the next movie, I don't see that changing.

What we see the series doing is moving away from the Jedi/Sith story. The Force is for everybody. Life is not black and white. Only Sith (and Jedi, in making the statement!) deal in absolutes. We've seen plenty of non-Jedi/Sith connect to the Force.

As for Snoke... he almost just seems like a Palpatine fanboy. Powerful and wants a Vader. That's really all we need to know at this time. It doesn't matter where he came from, but it could make for a fun novel. All we need to know is that he is powerful, but Kylo was powerful enough to deceive him and take advantage.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle Kylo's ascention in the next movie.

In fact JJ has stated outright that Snoke is not Sith. Since he has the next movie, I don't see that changing.

What we see the series doing is moving away from the Jedi/Sith story. The Force is for everybody. Life is not black and white. Only Sith (and Jedi, in making the statement!) deal in absolutes. We've seen plenty of non-Jedi/Sith connect to the Force.

As for Snoke... he almost just seems like a Palpatine fanboy. Powerful and wants a Vader. That's really all we need to know at this time. It doesn't matter where he came from, but it could make for a fun novel. All we need to know is that he is powerful, but Kylo was powerful enough to deceive him and take advantage.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle Kylo's ascention in the next movie.

This is all Yada's fault. Everything. He is the reason for this bad story. He told Luke that the force is strong in his family and to pass on what he had learned. Luke did as he was told and now we have TLJ ruining the lore and continuity of everything. :eek::rak_03:

Answers in orange.

If that is how you feel, truly, then don't use a term that is intentionally antagonistic. There's more amenable ways to frame your argument than to throw around politically divisive terms, especially when those ways deal in logical thought than emotional invectives.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/19/star-wars-box-office-trouble-last-jedi-first-monday-receipts-are-half-as-much-as-the-force-awakens

"WEDS UPDATE: “Last Jedi” Tuesday was $20.3 million vs. $37 mil for “Force Awakens” on its first Tuesday. That’s around 42% off. $17 million is a big difference. Monday and Tuesday are big days for adults going to the movies, so this development is a little surprising. Almost every other film increased from Monday to Tuesday by quite a lot. Only “Last Jedi” declined, by 6%. Again, Monday and Tuesday are days when adults come out and sample “smart” movies. For some reason, their interest in “Star Wars” less than was imagined."

They can't blame bots for reducing people showing up at the theater. They can however blame a bad story, not nearly as many repeat viewings and people that watched spoilers only to find how they disgraced SW's biggest hero to grow a plot point and do not want to go watch it first hand.

Except this part:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-first-week-overseas-international-box-office-results-1202229711/

While the Monday percentage is lower on Jedi, it’s worth bearing in mind that the calendar configuration this time around is slightly different. Force Awakens‘ first Monday was December 21, which saw parts of Germany on holiday and the UK and France both on full holiday. Yesterday, only parts of the UK were already off. France and Germany have not broken for the season yet. Also, importantly, on TFA, the second Friday was Christmas Day. This time, the holiday falls on a Monday which means that there is expected to be a fair bit of catch-up for Jedi next weekend.

If that is how you feel, truly, then don't use a term that is intentionally antagonistic. There's more amenable ways to frame your argument than to throw around politically divisive terms, especially when those ways deal in logical thought than emotional invectives.

Because I can use that word? If someone wants to read more into it than I wrote that is on them. And it is intentionally antagonistic only for people that don't understand what is going on.

Low-comprehension readers do not get a free pass because they may become "triggered."

Time will tell, but seeing that it is doing about 50% less gross of TFA, I would say that is very telling.

And I would say it isn't.

I don't think anyone expects TLJ to equal or outgross TFA.

Outgross Rogue One certainly, I'm sure they are bent on that. But TFA? Star Wars "It's been thirty years since you've seen Han, Leia and Luke, come around all, also this is a classic Star Wars movie with no politics in it" Episode VII "The Force Awakens but also Lucasfilm marketing department because this is a once in a decade event Star Wars is back and it's not the Prequels"

TLJ will, even if it ends up grossing half of what TFA did, be a success and easily in the top 5 highest grossing films of the year. If not on top of it.

Edit: What I mean isn't clearly stated but: The Star Wars "fatigue" is already settling in for some people. Three movies in as many years is going to impact the box-office. But TLJ won't bomb. It already hasn't.

Edited by Leklor

The entire Disneyverse is a slap to the face of the OT. Everything was negated. Everything the heroes did amounted to nothing. The galaxy is in the same state it was. All the original heroes lead miserable **** lives and die meaningless petty deaths. This started in TFA, which I disliked more than this movie. I still don't understand how anyone who started with the OT can like this new garbage. A Thrawn trilogy adaptation 30 years later would have made more sense. Instead they give us a discount Emperor, dollar store Vader, a Death Star replica and an imitation Rebellion. Then follow it with a story so empty and vapid it doesn't even feel like it belongs. It reads like bad fan fiction or an episode of Clone Wars or Rebels. Just one of those one off episodes detached from the season's main plot with no greater value than filling out the episode count. Which would be OK for an episode of a TV show. I think Rian Johnson doesn't understand that a Star Wars episode is not the same as an episode of a TV show.

Despite this I can't say it's a filler episode. Although the movie itself is mostly filler and relies on idiotic contrivances to even justify said filler, in the sense of the entire would-be trilogy, there is only 1 slice of bread. You need 2 slices of bread to fill a sandwich. This isn't even a sandwich. JJ brought some bread. Then Rian brought some plastic sporks. They are literally making it up on the fly like Lost. There is no plan. I repeat--THERE IS NO PLAN for a FREAKING TRILOGY. This movie was like the TV show 24, but without a decent plot and Jack Bauer making things worse instead of better.

If I was Gwendoline Christie I would have been sued for breach of contract. The role was embarrassing. It was embarrassing for me to watch her reduced to this. I would refuse to do it if I was her. They made Donal Gleeson's career a joke too, but at least he was intentionally silly and somewhat funny... somewhat. I'm guessing he'll be slipping on bananas, siting on whoopee cushions and getting handshakes from Kylo with a hand buzzer in Ep9.

Finn/Poe were just leftovers that Rian found himself saddled with. Abrams only had them to market this Luke/Leia/Han dynamic, but let's be honest... there is just a Luke this time (and they can't even do that right). There is no core trio. Poe and Finn are pointless characters with shoehorned relevance. I feel most bad for John Boyega who is clearly a diversity hire (i.e. token) meant to attract Black money evidenced by TFA's dishonest ad campaign. The sadder part is they dumbed down Finn's novelization character from an intelligent, thoughtful, heroic, best of the best, squad leader to a cowardly, comic relief, buffoon janitor, who ogles after the white girl who doesn't return the sentiment and is subpar in combat. All because they decided to hire a black guy instead of the white guy the author clearly thought the character would be cast as when the book was written. I wouldn't surprise me if Kathleen Kennedy has a white hood in her dresser drawer.

The entire Disneyverse is a slap to the face of the OT. Everything was negated. Everything the heroes did amounted to nothing. The galaxy is in the same state it was. All the original heroes lead miserable **** lives and die meaningless petty deaths.

Implying that the Legends EU was somehow better at this? You know, the continuity where the Empire was never truly defeated, the galaxy knew a state of constant warfare for nearly fifty years until the (Fel) Empire rose again with Jaina Solo married to it's leader. The same continuity where Han and Leia lost not one but TWO sons, including one who turned WILLINGLY to the Dark Side instead of having been manipulated all along. The same continuity where Luke's Jedi Order failed to help the galaxy during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, a period of time where they did so bad and were so reviled that a lot of worlds outright negociated their protection from the Vongs by hunting and delivering Jedi to their deaths. And then two centuries later the Jedi Order was wiped out by the One Sith. Because **** the Prophecy, the Sith are eternal (At least the "Disneyverse" is smart enough to not use Sith again)

Just one of those one off episodes detached from the season's main plot with no greater value than filling out the episode count.

Very true. After all, decimating the main "good guys" organization, getting rid of the red herring Big Bad, finally stepping up the other vilain to main baddie is what you usually put in a "filler" episodes. Main story episodes are the episodes where people cook stuff and have dinner, the real important stuff.

Rest of your post isn't even worth responding because it's your opinion formulated as fact.

Alright, one thing:

All because they decided to hire a black guy instead of the white guy the author clearly thought the character would be cast as when the book was written.

What book? Alan Dean Foster's novelization or "Before the Awakening"? Because both were written AFTER the film was completed.

And Finn was written as a neutral character, with no skin-tone in mind. John Boyega was picked because he was the one that convinced the director and casting agencies. Was there a politcal intent behind it? Possibly, not that I give a ****. Thing is, Finn was not a case of blackwashing as you seem to imply.

Do any of you think that something is lacking in these movies like epic moments you will remember as long as you can remember anything.

Like the duel between Darth Maul and Qui gon jin and obi wan, the duel between Anakin vs Obi won, the duel between Luke and Vader in Empire strikes back the one the Revenge of the sith, the duel between Dooku and Yoda at an lesser extent and the best of all the duel between Mace Windu and Palpatine.

Do any of you think something is missing anyone?

Do any of you think that something is lacking in these movies like epic moments you will remember as long as you can remember anything.

Like the duel between Darth Maul and Qui gon jin and obi wan, the duel between Anakin vs Obi won, the duel between Luke and Vader in Empire strikes back the one the Revenge of the sith, the duel between Dooku and Yoda at an lesser extent and the best of all the duel between Mace Windu and Palpatine.

It's called "you're not as young watching this now as you were when you watched those other ones then".

I'd say that the Hyperspace ramming will stay in my mind for the visuals alone.

And I still remember the Praetorians fight because I thought it was the right mix of OT kendo-inspired combat and PT wuxia-inspired combat.

TFA had the Falcon's flight, I still remember due to the setting.

And Rogue One had a lot too. Chirrut's action intro, the whole space battle over Scarrif (Especially the ramming. Again), Vader's slaughter, the final few minutes on Scarrif with Giacinno's "Your Father Would Be Proud" track...

Edited by Leklor

And I still remember the Praetorians fight because I thought it was the right mix of OT kendo-inspired combat and PT wuxia-inspired combat.

And Rogue One had a lot too. Chirrut's action intro, the whole space battle over Scarrif (Especially the ramming. Again), Vader's slaughter, the final few minutes on Scarrif with Giacinno's "Your Father Would Be Proud" track...

Honestly for TFA nothing remained by me besides Chewbacca shooting Kylo still makes me wonder how he survived. The last movie well nothing it was just worse then TFA sorry its true it was to much crappy mysticism in the force I really do not like to think as the force as anything more then an tool.That is why I liked the prequels more and I do not see why people like the originals better even now their not in my opinion.

Yeah, if you're talking about "epic scenes that stay with you" as opposed to limiting it to "lightsaber fights that stay with you", I think the newer movies definitely have those.

The OT... well, everything in the OT stays with me since I grew up with them; and the PT had the lightsaber fight at the end of TPM and the lightsaber fight at the end of RotS, two of Palpatine's lines ("not ... from a Jedi" and "are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"), and the first breath of Darth Vader in his armor... that's... really about it for all three of those movies for me.

In the new movies, I was blown away by the visual of the crashed Star Destroyer in the background of Jakku, the death of Han, Rey pulling the lightsaber to her past Kylo (not the fight itself though), the Death Star blast on Jedha, the space battle above Scarif, Darth Vader fighting through the corridor, the mirror-image line of Rey, Rey and Kylo going back-to-back after Kylo killed Snoke, the hyperspace ramming visual, and Luke stepping out of the smoke after the First Order unloaded everything on him. All those scenes really struck me.

Edited by DarthDymond

I'd take it a step further ... the final scene of TFA was set to be an iconic .... never forget moment ... TLJ $h!t all over that.

Yeah, if you're talking about "epic scenes that stay with you" as opposed to limiting it to "lightsaber fights that stay with you", I think the newer movies definitely have those.

The OT... well, everything in the OT stays with me since I grew up with them; and the PT had the lightsaber fight at the end of TPM and the lightsaber fight at the end of RotS, two of Palpatine's lines ("not ... from a Jedi" and "are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"), and the first breath of Darth Vader in his armor... that's... really about it for all three of those movies for me.

In the new movies, I was blown away by the visual of the crashed Star Destroyer in the background of Jakku, the death of Han, Rey pulling the lightsaber to her past Kylo (not the fight itself though), the Death Star blast on Jedha, the space battle above Scarif, Darth Vader fighting through the corridor, the mirror-image line of Rey, Rey and Kylo going back-to-back after Kylo killed Snoke, the hyperspace ramming visual, and Luke stepping out of the smoke after the First Order unloaded everything on him. All those scenes really struck me.

I will admit that if you are focusing on Lightsaber fights, post-Disney films haven't really stuck with me, except for the Praetorians fight mentionned before. The Prequels had better fights, that's for sure. But TLJ was a step in the right direction. I wouldn't mind seeing Nick Gillard coming back as stunt coordinator, just held-back from the full-on crazy of the PT. Or hire a chinese martial artist like the one working on Into the Badlands or the Ip Man films by Wilson Yip.

(Yeah, sorry, I've always been more Chinese swordfighting than Japanse Kendo. Though I tend to find outright wire-fu like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon pretty annoying.)

Implying that the Legends EU was somehow better at this?

No, you're stating that I'm implying that because you believe your opinion of the EU constitutes a solid position. One you thing you can back up. It's basically a strawman argument. The only EU reference I made was the Thrawn trilogy and even then an adaptation of it 30 years later with new characters.

And the Empire was pretty big. The idea that a force as large as the Empire/Old Republic is just going to dissolve into nothing after a single battle would be ridiculous. But there was a New Republic at least. The Empire fragmented and things did move forward. And then it got more and more insane and crappy as time went on.

(At least the "Disneyverse" is smart enough to not use Sith again)

LOL! Snoke and Kylo are Sith. You explain to me how they are any different other than not explicitly saying, "We're Sith". You explain to me what practical difference there is. They're the same old har har, kill kill, !!!EVIL!!!, red lightsaber, kill the Jedi, use your hate types like any other Sith. How is anything they do any different than Sidious or Vader? They are a copy and paste job. Sorry, but Disney is dumb enough to use the Sith again. Not acknowledging that they are carbon copies doesn't make then any less Sith.

Very true. After all, decimating the main "good guys" organization, getting rid of the red herring Big Bad, finally stepping up the other vilain to main baddie is what you usually put in a "filler" episodes. Main story episodes are the episodes where people cook stuff and have dinner, the real important stuff.

And that amounted to zip.

The "good guys" were already decimated. They were practically nothing after TFA.

Kylo was always the main baddie (like Vader). Snoke was just a holographic background decoration.

And Rey is still an untrained Jedi who can use the force like a pro (one of the more egregious F ups that was not addressed).

All this movie did was trash established material set up by Abrams. It's not even a proper continuity from the TFA. It's like this movie takes place in a alternate reality than TFA. It's basically just random garbage made up on the fly now with no logical endgame. Like Lost.

What book? Alan Dean Foster's novelization or "Before the Awakening"? Because both were written AFTER the film was completed.

I'm calling BS on that. If that was the case it wouldn't blatantly contradict the movie. It was released after the movie. That's it. It was clearly put together prior. Sadly, Finn is the victim of Hollywood bigotry.

Edited by Dayshadow

I'd also like to point out that the sequel trilogy is missing the memorable soundtrack as well. The songs are repetitive... and not really noticeable. They've fallen into the pattern of background music.

Halo's had the same problem. Both franchises had soundtracks that themselves completely transcended the rest of the movie/game. There was a story in the music itself, like listening to a classical suite by Peer Gynt, Holst, or Wagner.

Now... it's just background for the running sequences...

Even if you think the prequels suck, the music was absolutely phenomenal. I'd be willing to bet everyone here could point out several of the songs - The Droid Invasion, Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan/Battle of the Heroes, and many could probably pick out more (Listing the prominent ones used widely throughout SWTOR and the other videogames: Greivous Speaks to Lord Sidious, General Greivous, Greivous and the Droids, The Flag Parade, Anakin's Theme, The Sith Spacecraft and the Droid Battle, Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith, Zam the Assassin and the Chase through Coruscant, Jango's Escape, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit, Padme's Ruminations, Panaka and the Queen's Protectors, Queen Amidala and the Naboo Palace, Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds)

The OT's music is the same. Almost all of them are memorable. Obviously the Imperial March and the main theme, but also Binary Sunset, Tales of a Jedi Knight/Learn About the Force, Cantina Band, The Battle of Yavin, Ben Kenobi's Death/TIE Fighter Attack, The Death Star/The Stormtroopers, Dune Sea of Tatooine/Jawa Sandcrawler, The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor, The Battle of Hoth, The Battle of Endor Part 1, Parade of the Ewoks, the Forest Battle, Yoda's Theme, The Asteroid Field, The Clash of Lightsabers, Emperor's Throne Room, Alliance Assembly. Those are all EASILY recognizable and widely used throughout SWTOR and the other games. But the sequels and Rogue One, they don't have that. Rey's theme is memorable, but none of the others really are.

March of the Resistance is a song where you can really tell Williams has lost that touch... it's that same repetetive buildup over and over, and it doesn't transition into something else. Compare it to the Droid Invasion, or the Imperial March. It's not on the same level at all.

I've always loved Williams' music, but it's just not there in these sequels. And I have no idea why.

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

No, you're stating that I'm implying that because you believe your opinion of the EU constitutes a solid position. One you thing you can back up. It's basically a strawman argument. The only EU reference I made was the Thrawn trilogy and even then an adaptation of it 30 years later with new characters.

Granted, my interpretation was wrong.

And the Empire was pretty big. The idea that a force as large as the Empire/Old Republic is just going to dissolve into nothing after a single battle would be ridiculous.

It didn't. It took an entire year of war until the Empire was seemingly defeated at Jakku. And the truth is that most of what remains followed Rae Sloane in the Unknown Regions, forming the First Order.

But there was a New Republic at least.

In the new canon too. In fact it lasted almost ten years longer than the Legends NR.

LOL! Snoke and Kylo are Sith.

It's been stated by Abrams and confirmed by Johnson that they are not.

You explain to me how they are any different other than not explicitly saying, "We're Sith". You explain to me what practical difference there is.

Philosophical differences, for one. When I say Legends has Sith remain, I mean ACTUAL Sith. With the same codes, ideology, etc...

From the get go, Kylo Ren and Snoke don't follow the rules of the Sith because:

1) They don't respect the Rule of Two (The Knights of Ren are heavily implied to be the apprentices Ben took with him.)

2) They don't follow a Sith Code of any sort.

3) Snoke's objective is galactic conquest, killing Luke and the Jedi was just a means to that end. The Sith main objective WAS destroying the Jedi. Snoke is more or less a reverse Sith.

And that amounted to zip.

Actually that amounts to proof that TLJ is very much not a filler episode but a turning point for Star Wars as a whole. But please, do go on.

And Rey is still an untrained Jedi who can use the force like a pro (one of the more egregious F ups that was not addressed).

It was, by Snoke. Rey is basically getting cheat codes by the Force to even the playing field with Kylo. It's hammered in several times in the movie that they work as opposite and therefore Rey is made as powerful as Kylo Ren otherwise there'd be no balance possible. (Whether balance means Dark and Light equal or Light triumphant, Dark decimated)

All this movie did was trash established material set up by Abrams. It's not even a proper continuity from the TFA. It's like this movie takes place in a alternate reality than TFA. It's basically just random garbage made up on the fly now with no logical endgame. Like Lost.

How so? Because it went a way you didn't expect/hope?

Pretty much every starting situation in TLJ is exactly how TFA ends. It's very much in continuity.

I'm calling BS on that.

And you'd be wrong. Foster announced he was working on the TFA novelization in May 2015 (9 months prior to the release of the film, long after shooting had wrapped), and he was very busy with his own stuff before (As mentionned in his update where he states Del Rey had acquired two of his recently completed novel.

If that was the case it wouldn't blatantly contradict the movie.

You mean like the ANH novelization by the very same Alan Dean Foster which contradicted several plot points in the movie? You know, the one where the Senate controls the Emperor as a figure-head despite Tarkin mentionning in the film that the Senate was disolved.

Also, Star Wars novelization that blatantly contradict the movies? Never happened... Ever. *Squints at Attack of the Clones* Never.

Quality is not a democracy. McDolands is not quality food if millions of people are fans of it and it is profitable.

That's a great point. Just because Tetris sold more copies than, say, The Witcher 3, does not make it the game of more substance by default.

Edited by druout

That's a great point. Just because Tetris sold more copies than, say, The Witcher 3, does not make it the game of more substance by default.

If the people say that tetris has more substance then it has they just do not. Like it or not many things we take as facts are actually not like for example wolves have an hierarchy from alpha, beta and so forth. Truth they do not it mother father and offspring until they go and get an mate and so forth.

Even if TLJ sells more copies then most of the other SW movies if most people still think it was worse then the rest well that will mean that its worse and since its an subjective piece in this case no way to deny it.