SWTOR sucks, doesn't it?

Deewe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Star Wars thing has lost its luster a long time ago for me. I am not even a big fan of the movies.

Now i play it cus of the sci-fi, the space setting

+ It's a Bioware type of RPG(the convo system, and NPC's well developed colorful personalities).

+ i like the graphics, the sounds and the whole game atmosphere.

+ brand loyalty

+ used to the game mechanics

+ the playerbase is more mature both in behavior and age , than many other games out there.

Not to mention that the OP is wrong about SWTOR being worse than other AAA mmos. Matter of taste, man.

Edited by Kaedusz

I stick around for my raid team, two nights a week.

The best part of the game is still the 1 to Corellia story, but they've already messed that up and will do so even more with their level 70 to start token.

How is being level 70 running the class stories going to mess things up? The story (or the planet quests) don't change at all. Frankly, I don't think MMO"s should have levels at all. The dev's should focus on content and gear progression not leveling.

The only downside I see to being 70 when starting the class stories is the death of lowbie pvp.

Oh and to answer the OP: I play it because I like it. What I don't get.. is why does it matter to you so much? Don't like the game, don't play it. No need to come to these forums and bait those of us who do like the game.

Edited by cagthehack

Game definitely doesn't suck. If you're a new player, there's a lot of things to do. If you've been here since launch, as I have, it gets boring quickly. I was a normal subscriber for the first two years, after that, I've probably unsubscribed and subscribed fifteen to twenty times. I sub up for a bit, once it gets boring, or I've run the new content, I unsub.

I see no reason to play something if you're not enjoying it.

This may sound weird or inappropriate but I actually like a lot of you guys and enjoy reading many of your comments. So many people generally want to improve on the game in so many great ways or preserve things the devs thought better to change.

The game seems to try to do the best it can for it's technical limitations although I think the devs have shown a disconnect with sandbox mmo gaming they try to make the most of their limited resources. Personally I've been very very bored for the first time since 2012 and prefer to read the forums over actually playing now.

- SWTOR has good parts BUT mostly bad

- i would say SWTOR sucks because of these reasons :

• - usless stats : Hit rating , defense rating , absorb rating , power mastery
  • - confusing stats : defense OR absorb , which one do u need ,? nobody knows ....
  • confusing stats: Mastery or Power , which one do u need ? nobody knows , one increases " combat effectiveness the OTHER your damage ? what
  • easier role switching : it is ANNOYING as hell to switch from tank to dps , redo all the Utility Points , redo all the action bars , how can u NOT have a feature that saves at least 2 roles ( after 5 years ) in order to be effective BOTH In dungeons and when u are doing solo things
  • clunky mechanics: DAMAGE - if u want to maintain DOT's on the target you have to
    - FIRST look at the target's debuffs
    - CHECK it's debuffs ... a target usually has 10 - 20 debuffs active , which are in constant motion
    - FIGURE OUT which debuffs are yours or your teammates
  • clunky mechanics TANKING - you have to divert your attention to checking thru a constant 10-20 buffs active and figure out where your shield is and if it has expired or not

- in conclusion does SWTOR suck or not ... unfortunately YES

It sucks, after what they did with game universe in KotFE/ET, but even then it is still a game from Old Republic SW. The official movies Skywalkers era never meant much to me, but Old Republic is my love. Edited by wistarie

SWTOR does not entirely suck. The 1 to Correllia game is good. The group content is pretty good. However, 4.x and 5.x are terrible and have destroyed whatever future the game might have had if they'd done real expansions instead of feeding us, the players, piles of BS and if they hadn't decided to remake the decisions that killed the game at launch. And make no mistake, SWTOR died at launch, it was resuscitated by F2P, which EA has now also driven a lot of away.

Unfortunately, all the wishful thinking in the world isn't going to make SWTOR have a better future. EA isn't going to invest the $ it would take to make a future happen.

• - confusing stats : defense OR absorb , which one do u need ,? nobody knows ....
  • confusing stats: Mastery or Power , which one do u need ? nobody knows , one increases " combat effectiveness the OTHER your damage ? what
  • easier role switching : it is ANNOYING as hell to switch from tank to dps , redo all the Utility Points , redo all the action bars , how can u NOT have a feature that saves at least 2 roles ( after 5 years ) in order to be effective BOTH In dungeons and when u are doing solo things
  • clunky mechanics: DAMAGE - if u want to maintain DOT's on the target you have to
    - CHECK it's debuffs ... a target usually has 10 - 20 debuffs active , which are in constant motion
  • clunky mechanics TANKING - you have to divert your attention to checking thru a constant 10-20 buffs active and figure out where your shield is and if it has expired or not

Sorry buddy, but those are L2P issues. I could go line by line through them all, but I would have to write multiple paragraphs. Try using Google to figure things out.

Sorry buddy, but those are L2P issues. I could go line by line through them all, but I would have to write multiple paragraphs. Try using Google to figure things out.

I'm afraid he's right the combat UI is clunky.

Well I enjoy the game still, so there's that...but it's mostly because of the people I meet and the ones I know. They make this game what it is to me. As "toxic" as our community can be at times (in game or here), I still enjoy the vast majority of you enough that the few trolls I encounter, are merely a minimal distraction.

TUX, you remember when stufflike this used to be posted on the SOE SWG Forums people would get a 5 day suspension or a perma-ban. I sure as hell do.

As much as i'm okay with free speech, i don't know why a a Hate thread like this isn't trashed. This a TRASH post. If people hate the game then get the hell out.

As much as i hate this word. STOP Trolling. This is Human Waste.

Edited by MandFlurry

My primary reasons for hanging around as long as I have been are as follows:

- Star Wars (First and foremost- if it wasn't Star Wars I likely would never have picked it up in the first place)

- Class stories (I didn't get far when I first started at launch, so I've had fun playing through that content)

- Roleplay/character development (A thriving RP community is always a lure for me, and I've had some interesting encounters that offered some opportunity to develop my characters, which is always fun)

- Attachment to my characters (I have grown really fond of quite a few of my characters, and I enjoy playing them all from time to time.)

That said, the game has a lot of very obvious flaws that tend to stack. It can be frustrating and disappointing, and I've recently considered uninstalling altogether to make room for other games. Not necessarily leaving forever, but it might be time for a break and to pick up other games I've put aside. Maybe by the time I return there will be more actual content that isn't just a continuation of KOTFE/ET, which I found uninteresting, off-theme and dry.

Edited by SourOrange

My primary reasons for hanging around as long as I have have been as follows:

- Star Wars (First and foremost- if it wasn't Star Wars I likely would never have picked it up in the first place)

- Class stories (I didn't get far when I first started at launch, so I've had fun playing through that content)

- Roleplay/character development (A thriving RP community is always a lure for me, and I've had some interesting encounters that offered some opportunity to develop my characters, which is always fun)

- Attachment to my characters (I have grown really fond of quite a few of my characters, and I enjoy playing them all from time to time.)

This summed up perfectly why I play and love this game still.

TUX, you remember when stufflike this used to be posted on the SOE SWG Forums people would get a 5 day suspension or a perma-ban. I sure as hell do.

As much as i'm okay with free speech, i don't know why a a Hate thread like this isn't trashed. This a TRASH post. If people hate the game then get the hell out.

Totally agree, but on the other hand, I'm also very pleasantly surprised that it has turned (mostly) into a thread of why people still love the game. So it's a rare case of trolling turned positive.

Totally agree, but on the other hand, I'm also very pleasantly surprised that it has turned (mostly) into a thread of why people still love the game. So it's a rare case of trolling turned positive.

There we go!

The primary intent of the thread was to wake up the community that loves the game.

Contrary to other white knight threads we've been having, the goal was to get specifics, something the devs could really use. Guess by now, many of you started noticing a general consensus on why people play the game.

You might have been deceived but for the better.

Again, apologies if I offended you guys by any extend,

I still enjoy some aspects of the game.

Enjoy leveling new toons, trying out different things and ways to play, etc. Level sync needs some tweaking, made a suggestion on this.

I like the appearance system. Do not like the fact it does not include weapons, but it is a great system none the less.

Love doing heroics, though I skip most of them. Most days I only do the first two planets. Heroics DESPERATELY need a consistency pass.

I like KotFE/ET for the storyline, not so much for the gameplay, but it is still entertaining. Liked Iokath for the story, I ignore the end game there, much like Makeb and Oricon. I am not going to pay credits to do dailies.

Love quite a few of the QoL changes, especially quick travel. SO MUCH BETTER to travel around now.

Just because a thread is critical, doesn't mean it's trolling. Stop with the witch hunt. :rolleyes:

Edited by Talon_strikes

To the OP: I love this game! I thinks it's great from the start and unlike other AAA games the game doesn't start at max level ... the game starts at level 1. I love the stories. I love the combat ... esp the animations. I love the way the story progression is put together. I love the way I can play by myself and when I'm in the mood can just as easily play with others. I love how my abilities flow from one to another and the synergy the utilities bring. I love that unlike other AAA games, I'm not weaker as I grow in levels and require groups to make up for it. I love how it's not just another generic rehash of elves and fairies.

I can see areas that need improvements ... there is no perfect game ... but they in no way take away from the overall feel and play-ability of this excellent game. Will I get tired of it? Yes, of course I will and when it becomes a chore more than something I look forward to I will leave, but for now it's my preferred game and the best of the bunch.

I've played many AAA MMORPG's and have since Ultima ... and just like in RL, if you look hard enough you can always find flaws. I don't look for flaws. I don't look to nitpick the negatives. I don't see the bad in everything first then magnify it out of proportion. I look for a good time and to me this game is just fun for me. All of the negative Nancy's out there, no matter what drivel you post, will not convince me I'm not having fun.

There are always people in the game community who whine and complain nonstop about this or that. They don't look at positives they are only into the negatives yet continue to play anyway. All that changes for them is the name of the game. I really don't understand these people and while problems with this or any game must be brought forward, to make a crusade out of destroying games is a mindset I don't get. Then again, I don't have to. All I need to know is ... am I having fun? If the answer is yes then I continue to play. If not I leave. It's not rocket science.

I have no problems figuring out what stats I need for my dps or my healer. My boyfriend plays a tank and he knows what he needs so not sure why you think it is hard to figure out the stats. It is fairly simple to do.

as much as I hate EA shenanigans and the carcass of Bioware is painful to look at I always come back to swtor.

It's great value game where you get lots of enjoyable content to play at your leisure. I played other MMOs and single player games but at the end I only stick with SWTOR.

something about the setting, gameplay and nostalgic memories.

Edited by lironBD

This game has so many flaws and barely any new content at all. In mostly every single aspect it's worse than any other AAA MMO.

So the true question, apart the IP (emphasis): why do you still play it and pay a subscription?

Couple of leads:

• It is because of your group/guild mates?
  • It is out of habit?
  • Is it because of specific(s) feature(s)?

Your statements make it apparent that you have very little experience with different MMOs, or you have place way too many expectations on this game that it will never meet those expectations.

To the OP: I love this game! I thinks it's great from the start and unlike other AAA games the game doesn't start at max level ... the game starts at level 1. I love the stories. I love the combat ... esp the animations. I love the way the story progression is put together. I love the way I can play by myself and when I'm in the mood can just as easily play with others. I love how my abilities flow from one to another and the synergy the utilities bring. I love that unlike other AAA games, I'm not weaker as I grow in levels and require groups to make up for it. I love how it's not just another generic rehash of elves and fairies.

I can see areas that need improvements ... there is no perfect game ... but they in no way take away from the overall feel and play-ability of this excellent game. Will I get tired of it? Yes, of course I will and when it becomes a chore more than something I look forward to I will leave, but for now it's my preferred game and the best of the bunch.

I've played many AAA MMORPG's and have since Ultima ... and just like in RL, if you look hard enough you can always find flaws. I don't look for flaws. I don't look to nitpick the negatives. I don't see the bad in everything first then magnify it out of proportion. I look for a good time and to me this game is just fun for me. All of the negative Nancy's out there, no matter what drivel you post, will not convince me I'm not having fun.

There are always people in the game community who whine and complain nonstop about this or that. They don't look at positives they are only into the negatives yet continue to play anyway. All that changes for them is the name of the game. I really don't understand these people and while problems with this or any game must be brought forward, to make a crusade out of destroying games is a mindset I don't get. Then again, I don't have to. All I need to know is ... am I having fun? If the answer is yes then I continue to play. If not I leave. It's not rocket science.

So. Much. This.

I doubt anyone here is trying to convince anyone else that other people are not having fun. If that's the case then their issues go deeper than video gaming.

Similarly it's a bit condescending to label those "negative Nancy" posts as drivel. Especially those that detail specifics which are true and revealing - with true meaning the opposite of false, and revealing meaning the opposite of concealed. Observations that detail both true and revealing specifics cut through the ******** to unbias the narrative. And unbiased narrative imho is something we could really use right now.

Edited by GalacticKegger