SWTOR sucks, doesn't it?

Deewe

if i were to be honest:

• It is Star Wars
  • i still find something to do, but since my play time is limited to the weekends most of the time it leaves a lot open.
  • Every time i look at what i would need to do in order to catch up in WoW I close that tab and come back here with a sigh.
  • ESO and STO were OK, but couldnt get into them game wise and for the same reason that this game picks at me...cash shop.(and i like Star Trek as much as i like Star Wars).
  • did i mention how much time it would take for me to catch up in WoW?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree. The game certainly has its flaws, and some of those flaws are almost 6 years old. But the game has grown in some very significant ways from the HORRIBLE (my opinion) state it was in at launch, and I would also point out that every game likely has flaws...some I know of from personal experience.

I don't think we have had our CU/NGE or Cataclysm event here......yet. But they have made some poor decisions here and there.

I would disagree. The game certainly has its flaws, and some of those flaws are almost 6 years old. But the game has grown in some very significant ways from the HORRIBLE (my opinion) state it was in at launch, and I would also point out that every game likely has flaws...some I know of from personal experience.

I don't think we have had our CU/NGE or Cataclysm event here......yet. But they have made some poor decisions here and there.

4.0 was our NGE. Regarding Cataclysm all that changed was world maps getting rearranged, otherwise it left the rest of the game alone. It also added 6 new Quesh-sized open world zones each with its own new dungeon, 3 new end game raids and 2 new races with their own staring zones. Edited by GalacticKegger

This game has so many flaws and barely any new content at all. In mostly every single aspect it's worse than any other AAA MMO.

BAHAHAHA what "other AAA MMO"?

No really. Which one are you talking about. WoW? WoW is a pile of utter dog crap.

ESO? You're kidding. If you can force yourself to enjoy that game for more than two months, I pity you.

What other AAA MMO is there? No really. What are you comparing SWTOR to?

I like it -- I play it ...

I still like Star Wars ... I still play EQ2 a bit some too ,,, but not nearly as much as I did a few years ago ---

have gotten older and less time to spend in game .... life happens .. but SWtOR is still an nice escape at times --- that's why

This game has so many flaws and barely any new content at all. In mostly every single aspect it's worse than any other AAA MMO.

So the true question, apart the IP (emphasis): why do you still play it and pay a subscription?

Couple of leads:

• It is because of your group/guild mates?
  • It is out of habit?
  • Is it because of specific(s) feature(s)?

Which gaming company do you work for?

4.0 was our NGE. Regarding Cataclysm all that changed was world maps getting rearranged, otherwise it left the rest of the game alone. It also added 6 new Quesh-sized open world zones each with its own new dungeon, 3 new end game raids and 2 new races with their own staring zones.

Oh, i disagree. I think if anything was an NGE it would be GC, and even THAT really doesn't reach that disastrous standard. GC was a far more radical change to the game, especially end game, than 4.0 IMO.

Oh, i disagree. I think if anything was an NGE it would be GC, and even THAT really doesn't reach that disastrous standard. GC was a far more radical change to the game, especially end game, than 4.0 IMO.
4.0 changed how the game was played from the starter planets all the way through to elder game. 4.0 bolstered all group leveling content save some heroics to level cap. 4.0 recycled everything that came before it for elder and end game in place of new expansion open world and large group content ... forced level syncing and bolstering everything that wasn't tied down to make it work. 4.0 made all post-SoR expansion story solo-only eliminating group story game play thereafter. 4.0 turned our combat gearable companions into Barbie dolls. 4.0 removed our loot tables, from the starter planets all the way through to elder game, and replaced them with crates and companion gifts.

All 5.0 did was follow 4.0's Alliance crate lead with Command crates and change end game as radically as 4.0 changed the rest of the game. 5.0 was essentially NGE part 2 imo, merely exacerbating the NGE-level damage that 4.0 did.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I came back after been away for years, (4 years iirc)

The game is not that bad but...

The lack of a big community and microtransactions is what mostly **** it up and keep people away mostly, some sections of it are undoable in the original content due to the lack of players although the recent server merges might counter that, I doubt it).

Don't even get me started on the PRE-HISTORIC support...not to mention the ****** free-to-play model is the most stupid and lack luster of all, you stop subscribing you lose even access to your guild back ***...

And well, the EA logo just ****s with anything good realy so there`s that.

Edited by MuriaBR

SWTOR doesn't suck, but for the longest time the gaming development staff sure did.

What I mean by that is that the game itself has a ton of potential and promise that it never completely lives up to. I wouldn't say that it sucks in so much that it underachieves.

A lot of that can be blamed on EA.

Those of us who followed the original development team know where the game was originally meant to go. McCabe was supposed to be the original Hutt home world varl, and class quests Were Meant to continue on through that, bothawuii, and Yavin.

Launch did well, but unfortunately not well enough to sustain the cost of perpetuating 8 Class stories ad infinitum. And ea being EA, changed over much of the staff two ones that were Bean counters. They repurposed everything into fewer class stories so that now it was faction stories which ended up taking them a whole year to do. They also started crapping all over the story originally put out for them by killing off future story threads, something that has continued to this day. Malgus is the most famous example as he was meant to survive false emperor.

They melt all the previously underdeveloped but still in progress content the original team had until kotfe which was entirely EA BioWare developing something new. What we got was the most hated expansion in the game, that doubled down on all the worst qualities and complaints of the new development teams.

You might say that this means the game sucks. It does not because much of what was good from the original team that put their heart and passion into this game is still in the game even if the other team has modified it in some ways, and some of the things that players on the forums gripe about have actually breathed new life into the game such as level sync.

As to where this game goes, that is entirely up for discussion with Keith at the helm. It takes time to change the course of a ship. Whenever they release the new expansion next year in the first quarter or second quarter, that is going to tell us a lot.

As painful as some of the changes under Keith have been, I feel like they are setting the table for something big and doing the work now so that it's not all at once when they release the expansion.

So in terms of whether or not this game sucks, we will see after that first expansion with BioWare finally out from under the bean counters' thumbs.

Yes. I'm still around sometimes because I have a small amount of hope that it'll get better, but "To hope is the equivalent to giving up, & it's the biggest deception of all." So at this point, I'll move onto BFII & come back for the story. Edited by YungDemon

Yes, it is subpar by pretty much any game's standard. It's a troubled game to be sure. Now, why do I play it?

I still have some stories to record. Imperial ones to be exact. I seem to have misplaced my BH cutscenes, so now I need to do entire Empire. Not looking forward to it tbh. Besides that:

-> Familiarity and comfort. I like playing, being etc in familiar and comfortable places / activities. I'm a creature of habits, what can I say? (which does not mean I won't try exciting new things)

-> Fun: It is still fun to poke around, do some Heroics, talk with people etc

-> 3D printing miniatures: Yeah, hopefully one day. I am going to have my characters present next to me. Just like those soccer figurines(some 15-21 cm in hgth; ideally around 20)

Like many others I stopped playing a few months after release because of lack of content. As I was mainly focused on pve progress I skipped my way to 50 and planned to do class stories later. After unsubbing I didn't pay much attention to swtor.

So I came back for a few weeks for SoR (some time in 2015). iirc there some exp event (12x for class story) so I leveled some characters to max and left again.

I really loved the game when it was released but right now it just feels shallow and has many bad design decissions orbiting this game that just make me not care or bother to start playing again.

1) Leveling is just a faceroll. Basicaly zero group pre-endgame PvE or PvP (World PvP)

2) Companions are just reskins of eachother (except they have their own little story)

3) RNG Loot system

4) KOTFE/KOTET Story is weird.. you're just another special snowflake. They should have continued the class stories and stick with Republic vs Empire tbh.

etc...

Swtor is just filled with casuals and roleplayers. There is almost nothing that make this game unique. Too many QoL changes lead to an empty world. Another WoW with Star Wars reskin.

Edited by Enuzik_

I play because I enjoy the game. Yes, the IP is a big draw as well. If I am going to grind dailies and dungeons, I prefer my light saber/blasters over my sword/bow.

I have played

DAoC

LotRO

EQ

WoW

Aeion

Rift

STO

Just to name a few, and most come down to the same thing. Grind mobs for cash/xp/mats to get gear for dungeons/raids and to increase standing with a faction. So yeah, I stick with SWTOR.

Like many others I stopped playing a few months after release because of lack of content. As I was mainly focused on pve progress I skipped my way to 50 and planned to do class stories later. After unsubbing I didn't pay much attention to swtor.

So I came back for a few weeks for SoR (some time in 2015). iirc there some exp event (12x for class story) so I leveled some characters to max and left again.

I really loved the game when it was released but right now it just feels shallow and has many bad design decissions orbiting this game that just make me not care or bother to start playing again.

1) Leveling is just a faceroll. Basicaly zero group pre-endgame PvE or PvP (World PvP)

2) Companions are just reskins of eachother (except they have their own little story)

3) RNG Loot system

4) KOTFE/KOTET Story is weird.. you just another special snowflake. They should have continuet the class stories and stick with Republic vs Empire tbh.

etc...

Swtor is just filled with casuals and roleplayers. There is almost nothing that make this game unique. Too many QoL changes lead to an empty world. Another WoW with Star Wars reskin.

I am a story enthusiast(kinda an RP-er, I guess) and I am dissatisfied with how SWTOR is currently. Just shoving our characters where they don't belong(Zakuul story) didn't resonate with me that good. They should've just let us create an official Outlander.

Just so you know.

Edited by Cuiwe

I don't pay for leisure activities I don't enjoy. I pay to play this game.

Ergo, I enjoy the game. It's just not that complicated.

I genuinely feel sorry for those who hate this game so much and spend so much time on the forums telling us how much they hate the game, particularly when they repeat the same thing ad nauseum. I find it funny (and arrogant) that some even invoke a false conciousness type of argument and contend that I'm actually not having fun.

Oh well, if that floats your boat...

Dasty

Exactly this. I enjoy the game and don't understand people who hang around in the forums just to say it sucks. There are legitimate complaints sometimes though, this game isn't perfect. Haven't found one that is.

When I no longer enjoy it, I take a break. (without the melodramatic exit) Play something else for a while, then come back to this, and it's fun all over again.

If they returned the game to pre kotfe/Kotet then my wife and I would return to being subscribing white knights and CM whales ... 01/23/2018 for her and 01/31/2018 for me.

We made our characters' livings out of leveling through each planet like they were the entire game in microcosm: class story + planet story + PvE (leveling) → planet heroics (elder game) → planet flashpoints & world bosses (end game). It was a labor of love that never, ever got old.

Learning and applying proper gearing and ability advancements for characters and companions alike from leveling through group play content was a fixture. Farming to craft gear for our companions was a fixture. If we got our asses kicked in a flashpoint or HM, we leveled up a bit more, got better gear for our characters and companions, learned new abilities, then went back with our companions and played through them until we won. That never got old either.

When our characters reached level cap we would do that most casual of MMO activities that made old content repeatable for high level characters: go back and farm heroic, flashpoint, HM and Ops bosses for customs, mounts and comms. Our guild scheduled a farm night every week for nothing but that, using the overleveled HMs and Ops as a low-stress mentoring platform for less experienced players. This as well as loot tables being taken away combined with 98% of end game since TOS being recycled killed our guild.

Other than Ops, for everything I listed above my wife and I could do in their entirety together and without limitation. Our subscriptions gave us access to the entire game on any level we chose. Players with a single friend weren't shoehorned into anything. Back then we actually had choices. Now the devs are making our choices for us, all the while selling the minimizing changes as giving us more choices. Uh ... no.

That's all gone. All of it. Everything but story was recycled for elder game when they could have simply added new elder game zones to the planets instead of wiping out the leveling game for it. The fixed & farmable loot tables have been replaced by RNG loot crates. And yes they are RNG:

The "just leave me alone" 140 character attention span speed levelers got what they wanted and the game lost its identity as a result. Companions became purely Ken & Barbie dolls. And now leveling through expansion story starting with 4.0 is limited to solo-only play, prohibiting my wife and I from playing through those together.

What they have done to this game is deplorable. My wife put it best when she said that she remains only because she still holds out hope for a miracle that Bioware will listen up and smell what EA has them shoveling; and do for SWTOR and its player base what Square Enix did for FFXIV and their player base ... give us our game back.

Fun times. I had not been playing for long (new to the game back then) during the 3.0 era, a couple months, but I was having a blast.

Fun times. I had not been playing for long (new to the game back then) during the 3.0 era, a couple months, but I was having a blast.

While in some cases I do miss the uniqueness of Companions and their roles, the greater flexibility has been very wonderful.

Someone who gets attached to the stories of the characters, I can have characters with me because of their stories and my characters relation with them. And if I have a favorite character, I don't have to keep that character aside to play another companion I don't want to.

There will always be some exceptions to that. Treat was an amazing tank / healer. HK 51 assassinate ability was awesome.

However, even in their vanilla stantec, I am finding some companion enjoyment. Currently leveling a bounty hunter and have Mako by my side almost all the time.. She has a move that when she's about to finish off an NPC she whips out a gun and there's this loud shotgun like blast. Given that all the other stuff is the usual lasers and pew pew pew, that blast caught me off guard at first and had me laughing hysterically, as little Mako is packing some serious heat to put a final nail in some poor NPCs coffin.

So the game still has personality in places if you're willing to look for it. Or see it when it's in front of you.

I never liked MMOs, never stuck with any longer than a few weeks before this one, definitely never was going to pay any recurring fee for a game.

Started playing this when it went F2P, convinced by my brother and his girlfriend to play with them, since they knew I liked KOTOR.

Got hooked especially on the combat, which would make me feel awesome and felt incredibly fun to me.

I met two amazing people in SWTOR that have changed my life.

That last line is why I have given other MMOs a try a lot in recent years. To have something to play with two specific people while all of us got increasingly agitated with the direction SWTOR was headed in. It's why I now also have a subscription to ESO.

The truth is, my brother and his girlfriend moved on to other MMOs back in 2013. The two people I met now mostly play ESO or EVE. I'm still here, I guess. I loved nearly everything I encountered in this game up to 3.0. Since 3.0, the scale of like vs dislike in changes and new additions (both quantity and quality) has been hanging clearly towards dislike, but the game that I fell in love with is still in there, and I have still not managed to find a single MMO that feels as fun to me as this one ever did.

I think ESO is in much better hands, I think ZOS is doing a much better job on every front.. except it just doesn't feel as fun.. somehow.

I never liked MMOs, never stuck with any longer than a few weeks before this one, definitely never was going to pay any recurring fee for a game.

Started playing this when it went F2P, convinced by my brother and his girlfriend to play with them, since they knew I liked KOTOR.

Got hooked especially on the combat, which would make me feel awesome and felt incredibly fun to me.

I met two amazing people in SWTOR that have changed my life.

That last line is why I have given other MMOs a try a lot in recent years. To have something to play with two specific people while all of us got increasingly agitated with the direction SWTOR was headed in. It's why I now also have a subscription to ESO.

The truth is, my brother and his girlfriend moved on to other MMOs back in 2013. The two people I met now mostly play ESO or EVE. I'm still here, I guess. I loved nearly everything I encountered in this game up to 3.0. Since 3.0, the scale of like vs dislike in changes and new additions (both quantity and quality) has been hanging clearly towards dislike, but the game that I fell in love with is still in there, and I have still not managed to find a single MMO that feels as fun to me as this one ever did.

I think ESO is in much better hands, I think ZOS is doing a much better job on every front.. except it just doesn't feel as fun.. somehow.

ES:O is a much better game in, arguably, better hands, but it doesn't change the fact that it plays like ****.

If they returned the game to pre kotfe/Kotet then my wife and I would return to being subscribing white knights and CM whales ... 01/23/2018 for her and 01/31/2018 for me.

We made our characters' livings out of leveling through each planet like they were the entire game in microcosm: class story + planet story + PvE (leveling) → planet heroics (elder game) → planet flashpoints & world bosses (end game). It was a labor of love that never, ever got old.

Learning and applying proper gearing and ability advancements for characters and companions alike from leveling through group play content was a fixture. Farming to craft gear for our companions was a fixture. If we got our asses kicked in a flashpoint or HM, we leveled up a bit more, got better gear for our characters and companions, learned new abilities, then went back with our companions and played through them until we won. That never got old either.

When our characters reached level cap we would do that most casual of MMO activities that made old content repeatable for high level characters: go back and farm heroic, flashpoint, HM and Ops bosses for customs, mounts and comms. Our guild scheduled a farm night every week for nothing but that, using the overleveled HMs and Ops as a low-stress mentoring platform for less experienced players. This as well as loot tables being taken away combined with 98% of end game since TOS being recycled killed our guild.

Other than Ops, for everything I listed above my wife and I could do in their entirety together and without limitation. Our subscriptions gave us access to the entire game on any level we chose. Players with a single friend weren't shoehorned into anything. Back then we actually had choices. Now the devs are making our choices for us, all the while selling the minimizing changes as giving us more choices. Uh ... no.

That's all gone. All of it. Everything but story was recycled for elder game when they could have simply added new elder game zones to the planets instead of wiping out the leveling game for it. The fixed & farmable loot tables have been replaced by RNG loot crates. And yes they are RNG:

The "just leave me alone" 140 character attention span speed levelers got what they wanted and the game lost its identity as a result. Companions became purely Ken & Barbie dolls. And now leveling through expansion story starting with 4.0 is limited to solo-only play, prohibiting my wife and I from playing through those together.

What they have done to this game is deplorable. My wife put it best when she said that she remains only because she still holds out hope for a miracle that Bioware will listen up and smell what EA has them shoveling; and do for SWTOR and its player base what Square Enix did for FFXIV and their player base ... give us our game back.

I remember those days. Wouldn't return to them if you paid me. Ok, I would because this is a largely meaningless game(and I wouldn't need to play it), but...whatever. Just pay me! :rak_03:

I play (and pay) because I enjoy it. No, it's not perfect. It doesn't need to be. I do wish they would change some things but overall, I feel this game is worth both my time and money.

Edit to add: So, in response to the thread's title, in my opinion SWTOR does not suck.

Edited by Elessara