Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

Valkorian was the Sith emporer back in the day. I think I would have been more dissappointed if it wasn't some elaborate plan of his to take over. I like how manipulative he was,

How obviously manipulative he was to the point that it was painful to me. And I couldn't make any remarks about it.

Also the whole Sith lords in your head thing also comes from the books, its all over sw eu, one of the things they do often to try and turn Jedi dark.

Yeah well that's exactly the problem right there. Only 2 out of the 8 classes are jedi. And you've just explained why this story fails for most classes, not even going into the tech vs force user thing on top of that.

Truly it's not about higher expectations but about how they force you down a jedi knight story with all your classes and have some real inconsistencies in it. That's what makes it bad for me. The rest I could've lived with.

Truth is that Valkorion is preposterous as a character compared to when he was Vitiate and instilled fear and was this dark force that nobody could really grasped who devoured planets to sustain himself.

So tell me, why does he need my sniper after devouring Nathema and Ziost? It's a bit of a let-down, an anti-climax. That's the difference with the first chapter for the Sith Inquisitor, there it built up to something bigger. KotFE/ET built up to something I expected to be big and it ended up a lot smaller. Kinda like, oh, that's all you got? Pffft. Whatever.

And now we are Alliance Commanders with a choice to become a champion (LS) or an emperor/empress (DS). My Bounty Hunter is to be an Alliance Commander and then an Empress? Don't make me laugh. Look at the Bounty Hunter story and explain to me how that makes any sense at all?

That's the problem. They decided on a single story line written for the Jedi Knight. The Consular is close enough. I remember what happened to Han Solo on Bespin when he faced Vader. He didn't have a chance in the universe. But my smuggler does?

Sorry, but that's one reason why people want class stories back, because they want stories that actually make sense to their characters.

And if there are any high expectations it's because BW set them. As far as I'm concerned it's not a matter of some stories are better than others but they just got progressively worse over time. That's my opinion, but the inconsistencies in the Valkorion story and the reality that it's written around the Jedi Knight are not just my opinion and that's what makes me call it bad story writing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not even sure what people expect from stories anymore.. I am sure bioware doesn't either by now.

They do one thing, and people whinge its a copy from something else. They do another thing, that was popular back in their previous games and they are just 'rehasing old stuff'.

The beauty of Sci Fi (Space Opera especially) is that "the story" doesn't have to be new or original - heck, even the original Star Wars movie wasn't "original" it was a pastiche of Akira Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" - it just has to be epic, and well done.

In the traditional literary sense of "epic" KotFE/ET was not quite epic - it tried to be, but ultimately failed to be so.

And the majority consensus is that it wasn't particularly well done.

If Bioware had wanted a story that contained intrigue, betrayal, subterfuge, romance etc they could have just taken the Imp Agent story as a blueprint and changed the main factions and agents involved - and that would still have been 10 times better than KotFE/ET, because the ImpAgent story is that good.

Where KotFE/ET failed most was in its desire to give us (the protagonist - although in reality Valk was the protagonist and the player was only ever a puppet antagonist) only the faintest illusion of agency while retaining agency for the NPCs - specifically "The Valkorions".

There was another thread that mentioned it, and has since been deleted I assume; but KotFE/ET felt more like "fanfic ERP" than it did a genuine MMORPG story.

The author(s) was clearly enamoured of Valkorion and simply could not bear the prospect of him not being the centre of attention for the most possible time. Well, that is not how MMORPG storylines work, if they are intended to work well, the Player Character should be the Protagonist, and should be the lynchpin of the story.

All The Best

4/22, yup. Which is why it's frustrating af not knowing the rest of the class changes, or having any hint of what comes after August...

Maybe operatives/scoundrels and the other ones are the only ones getting adjustments?

Edited by vadess
correct autocorrect

Maybe operatives/scoundrels and the other I've that got changes are the only ones ferrying adjustments.

TBH, a lot of players - myself included - seem confused as to what their intentions are with the other specs. Scrapper, Sawbones, and Combat actually being left alone wouldn't bother too many people, to my knowledge...

There is one small problem with returning to Imp vs Rep scenario. Both sides are playable.

Republic players would go to war with Empire, Imperials would strike at Republic, (I am sure there are players out there who ready to turn against their native faction, but they are not majority)

So Bioware would have to write 2 separate stories again. Not just give us the same locations with differently named NPC, like they did at Kuat and SOR prelude. No, the actual, faction-specific content. Which we haven't seen since Makeb. Sure, they did something like this in KOTFE (Imps in 2 chapter see Dromund Kaas, reps - Coruscant), but it was one small map, and after that it was back to 1 for all.

I do not believe Bioware have any intentions or resources to bring back faction stories, no matter how many players are gonna ask for it. Which means my LS SW has no more chances to storm Coruscant anytime soon, then My LS trooper has to invade Kaas, despite having Eternal Fleet, army of Skytroopers and 6 Gods at their service.

Edited by Gelious

Keith we have about a week until 5.4 was planned on being released, and we still do not have class balancing notes on 3 Class specs yet. Any idea of when we'll see the Class Balance notes for Concealment/Scrapper, Medicine/Sawbones , and Carnage/Combat?

There is one small problem with returning to Imp vs Rep scenario. Both sides are playable.

Republic players would go to war with Empire, Imperials would strike at Republic, (I am sure there are players out there who ready to turn against their native faction, but they are not majority)

So Bioware would have to write 2 separate stories again. Not just give us the same locations with differently named NPC, like they did at Kuat and SOR prelude. No, the actual, faction-specific content. Which we haven't seen since Makeb. Sure, they did something like this in KOTFE (Imps in 2 chapter see Dromund Kaas, reps - Coruscant), but it was one small map, and after that it was back to 1 for all.

I do not believe Bioware have any intentions or resources to bring back faction stories, no matter how many players are gonna ask for it. Which means my LS SW has no more chances to storm Coruscant anytime soon, then My LS trooper has to invade Kaas, despite having Eternal Fleet, army of Skytroopers and 6 Gods at their service.

Just have 3 factions as we have in the story now and players can choose wether to permanently move to the alliance faction. Then we can have 3 factions because the Galaxy is big and if you are into the fan fiction you can see that there are way more "empires", "kingdoms", "alliances", "confederacies"... etc... in the SW universe than just the Empire vs Republic.

As for group game play, the Alliance faction could increase its reputation with one side and when at a certain lvl they can participate in Operations with that faction. Sort of like the light and dark reputation meter.

As for pvp, it all needs to be mixed faction because there just aren't enough pvpers in the queue. So it's better to have a better pop time then waiting 2 hours for a faction vs faction match.

TBH, a lot of players - myself included - seem confused as to what their intentions are with the other specs. Scrapper, Sawbones, and Combat actually being left alone wouldn't bother too many people, to my knowledge...

Sawbones/Medicine being touched is frustrating enough but they can't even come clean with a week now to go over a spec that Keith himself indicated wasn't immortal/godlike... it's the most touchy since our overheals and proactive healing are why our heal spec's HPS output looks high (proc-ing) and EPHS for us being insanely high requires not just screw ups but people standing about clustered, not to mention how damned interruptible we are.

Just have 3 factions as we have in the story now and players can choose wether to permanently move to the alliance faction. Then we can have 3 factions because the Galaxy is big and if you are into the fan fiction you can see that there are way more "empires", "kingdoms", "alliances", "confederacies"... etc... in the SW universe than just the Empire vs Republic.

I actually really like that idea. Three paths could appease everyone.

And since they won't bring back all the class stories at this point, I think having a story path for Force users and another for non-Force users would be more cohesive than one path for all.

SO.. we are a week out and still missing key details for 5.4. Assume that means Patch Note notification only is expected? I mean this doesn't exactly fit this "Communicate with Users more" model you have been doing.

This is very concerning. Means the standard "Bad News Hand Grenade" will be dropped on Friday afternoon and we will see no yellow posts after that. Patch will go live for "TESTING" via the Production customers and feedback ignored (IMHO).

When is the Roadmap finally going to be published?

Keith we have about a week until 5.4 was planned on being released, and we still do not have class balancing notes on 3 Class specs yet. Any idea of when we'll see the Class Balance notes for Concealment/Scrapper, Medicine/Sawbones , and Carnage/Combat?

Yes this would be great to know.

As for group game play, the Alliance faction could increase its reputation with one side and when at a certain lvl they can participate in Operations with that faction. Sort of like the light and dark reputation meter.

As for pvp, it all needs to be mixed faction because there just aren't enough pvpers in the queue. So it's better to have a better pop time then waiting 2 hours for a faction vs faction match.

Why are you quoting me? This has nothing to do with what i said:)

Edited by Gelious

242 for GF on Master Mode Flashpoints? You can clear it in token-ready 65s or 60s. Hell, you can clear MM in fresh-50s. A gear check doesn't prevent autism.

Maybe I'm just not hip to how the kids insult each other these days, but what does autism have to do with anything?

Maybe I'm just not hip to how the kids insult each other these days, but what does autism have to do with anything?

Autism seems to be hip nowadays. Kind of like how people call everything cancer. Not my cup of tea but whatever.

This is very concerning. Means the standard "Bad News Hand Grenade" will be dropped on Friday afternoon and we will see no yellow posts after that.

They really need to get out of that mindset of dropping info on a Friday afternoon and then completely blanking the community forthwith, that just breeds resentment against the developers and if they can't see that?

Really they need to info drop on Monday or Tuesdays and then engage with the community actively for the rest of the week. I mean I hate to tell the community manager how to do his job, but if he hasn't figured that out by now?

They really need to get out of that mindset of dropping info on a Friday afternoon and then completely blanking the community forthwith, that just breeds resentment against the developers and if they can't see that?

Really they need to info drop on Monday or Tuesdays and then engage with the community actively for the rest of the week. I mean I hate to tell the community manager how to do his job, but if he hasn't figured that out by now?

I agree the "we want your feedback" is now falling on deaf ears now as I strongly feel it's just sales pitch lingo to keep subs. They don't care about feedback nor do they want our feedback. Especially with Class changes - they have metrics they will use and no level of input or feedback is going to change that.

I agree the "we want your feedback" is now falling on deaf ears now as I strongly feel it's just sales pitch lingo to keep subs. They don't care about feedback nor do they want our feedback. Especially with Class changes - they have metrics they will use and no level of input or feedback is going to change that.

Sadly I believe you're right 😢