Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

They had that at the beginning and most of us were tired of being forced to use specific companions just because they were a dps or healer. This gives us a chance to use which companion we want and then adjust what role they have so this for the most part is better than what we had at launch.

Yep. Exactly.

And within the pool of companions they *do* actually have different healing protocols (Force users vs. non) and a variety of play styles. There are certain companions that are very aggro and can clear a room even if you have them on heal and others than aren't, regardless of their influence level.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me worried here: Is story dead?

If not when can we expect to see more Story based content, especially Classes story, even one at a time...

Please some folks really need to learn how to read, Keith already said they would do updates to Story, PvP, OPs, GSF, ext ext ext. You have gotten enough story, every aspect will be touched will it be like the original I highly doubt it they don't have the resources for it, will it change doubtful unless subs or revenue increases.

I've been playing this game since I've had the privilege to have been chosen as a beta tester and have been a subscriber since this game's launch. I've been through two major server mergers over the years, before the introduction of server transfers, and experienced many guilds and raid team disbands. I have also experienced many turnover in SWTOR's developer community over the years and while some of you may think of me as a gluten for punishment for still playing, I am here because I truly love playing this game. I don't think some of the player-base have truly appreciated the hard work the Dev Team has done to address concerns over the years. While I admit, there have been changes to this game's content that I do not agree with, i.e. class balancing and lack of operation content, I do understand that Eric, Keith, and company have been working tirelessly to improve game play. I, for one, am enjoying the new Gods from the Machine operations, and while each boss has been slow in their release, I do appreciate that a lot of thought and care went into the mechanics of the fights that we currently have. I rank Aivela and Esne veteran mode as one of my top three favorite fights. While game content may or may not live up to some of your expectations yet, my only wish is that you please give the Dev Team the respect and courtesy that you would want others to show you. They're human beings like the rest of us, and only by working with them can we improve SWTOR's overall experience for years to come. :)

Agreed

I've been playing this game since I've had the privilege to have been chosen as a beta tester and have been a subscriber since this game's launch. I've been through two major server mergers over the years, before the introduction of server transfers, and experienced many guilds and raid team disbands. I have also experienced many turnover in SWTOR's developer community over the years and while some of you may think of me as a gluten for punishment for still playing, I am here because I truly love playing this game. I don't think some of the player-base have truly appreciated the hard work the Dev Team has done to address concerns over the years. While I admit, there have been changes to this game's content that I do not agree with, i.e. class balancing and lack of operation content, I do understand that Eric, Keith, and company have been working tirelessly to improve game play. I, for one, am enjoying the new Gods from the Machine operations, and while each boss has been slow in their release, I do appreciate that a lot of thought and care went into the mechanics of the fights that we currently have. I rank Aivela and Esne veteran mode as one of my top three favorite fights. While game content may or may not live up to some of your expectations yet, my only wish is that you please give the Dev Team the respect and courtesy that you would want others to show you. They're human beings like the rest of us, and only by working with them can we improve SWTOR's overall experience for years to come. :)

That is the complete truth, at least as I see it. IMO this is one of the greatest online games ever, period. End of story, see you later. I love playing this game. I love the engine, the mechanics, the controls, the class structure, the meta, whatever you want to call it. I loved it as a story only player looking for Kotor 3, I loved it trying out raiding in 3.0, and I've loved it playing PVP from 4.0 on. I've explored more and more of the game as time has passed, and it never ceases to amaze me, the depth of the game, the variety of playstyles it supports, the sheer volume of content at my fingertips for $14.99 a month. I love the challenge, the lore, the story, the community, the prospect of exploring more of this world, the knowledge that someday it will end and I will miss it, terribly. I'm fairly certain most of the people posting here, regardless of their current support or condemnation of the current regime, feel the same.

Edited by Kurj

None of which have an MMO aspect. If you're looking for a pure PvP game, you listed a bunch of great ones.

FYI...I would add Heroes of the Storm to that list. My Lili will WTFPWNU.

#waytonotnamecomparablegames

Burden of Proof. You argue that other games have a more successful PvP model.

So firstly you never asked for MMO games and if you did in that statement above then you couldn't also put the term "burden of proof" to me because I never stated "MMO PVP" games as having far more successful models.

Uh oh, watch out, that logic trap sure looks deep ... I don't think you're getting out in a hurry.

Now for arguments sake how do you define PVP with "an MMO aspect"? A bunch of people on teams trying to kill one another with their abilities and skills? Achieve goals? Control points? Gee sounds a lot like many PVP games to me ...

I am curious now I've given you a brief run down on similarities as to how you differentiate PVP games from PVP in this game in regards to your "MMO aspect"?

The difference is that swtor isn't a pvp-based game. Pvp is and always will be a side activity in this game in my eyes.

Why do you care then if players want to make PVP more accessible for EVERYONE and maybe actually make it less of a side activity? If PVE isn't affected (it would actually help PVE gearing for the reasons Jerba mentioned above imo as PVE players could solely focus on PVE content for gearing) what do you care?

But what games are you talking about?Also are you sure you know the reasons why those games have higher populations?

You assume it's because of the lack of gear progression but who knows if that's the truth. I do not know what a vanity system is though.

Mentioned a few examples above. Can I prove that's the sole reason they are highly successful? Of course not but when you see all the successful games adopt such a model and MMO style "progression" PVP tends to fall flat in comparison it's a valid comparison to make.

What PVP based games that do have a purely progression based stat gearing system are highly successful?

Also isn't anything relating to speeding up progression essentially pay to win?

How can it be pay to win if it's speeding up "vanity" progression? You aren't getting an advantage over other players, there is no pay to win.

Could someone explain why they think that PVE should have gear progression but PVP should not? That has never really made sense to me, if one has it both should. Both PVP and PVE are about skill at the highest levels, good gear is only useful for overcoming deficits on both. There is definitely a winner and a loser in both PVE and PVP (trust me, spend 2 months trying to kill Styrack NiM and tell me you don't think you can lose in PVE).

Having gear be useful in both is pretty important in my opinion. I finally got my 2 mains into 248 gear (merc, rip, and operative, soon-to-be rip) and honestly, now that both are fully min-maxed I feel way less incentivezed to either PVP or to do ops (still do some of both, but nowhere near as much as I did, maybe I'll pick something else to gear up and play more, we'll see). Sure, everyone claims that they want "skill to be the only thing that matters" but I strongly suspect, that what they say and what players actually do tell 2 different stories. Heck, personally speaking I would love it if there was no gearing at all, I hate doing an op with a bunch of people in 242 gear and enraging on Annihilator Droid and someone claiming it is because they had bad gear. But, I know that gear incentives people to run the content, and provides a carrot in both PVP and PVE, and without it, fewer people would be doing both types of content.

Hey everyone,

We are quite a few weeks away from publishing the next 90 day update for our SWTOR Roadmap. We solidified our content plan and release schedule, so I’ll include all those details in the update. But, as you know, we’re really trying to provide you with more insight than ever before, and I’d like to know what other information you’d want to see in the Roadmap. Obviously, I can’t promise to include everything, but will do my best to address a wide variety of your requests.

Many of you read the SWTOR roadmap (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20170531), and realize I had left you with an elusive “and more to come…” in the Game Update 5.4 section. I thought this would be a good time to let you know what will be released on August 22nd with the next game update. Here’s a few highlights of what you can expect:

• Crisis on Umbara – Our story will continue in a new Flashpoint coming on the planet of Umbara. This Flashpoint will launch with all 3 difficulties, Story, Veteran and Master. For Umbara’s Master Mode we are trying something new, and depending on how well it goes, we may do something similar for all Master Mode Flashpoints. Specifically, a player will need to have an average gear rating of 242 to use Group Finder. We won’t prevent pre-made groups from going in directly, but this will prevent under-geared players from slowing down your group. We’re adding a new average rating identifier on your character window which will be based on the items you have ‘equipped’.
  • Umbara Stronghold – This is the most unique stronghold yet, as you will be able to decorate your own moving train. You’ll need to complete the flashpoint a few times to gain access to the stronghold. Look for more details about the Stronghold in an upcoming post.
  • Companion Customization – Senya Tirall can now have her weapons and armor customized. Also, Lana, Koth, and Senya’s hairstyles are available for purchase to customize your character.
  • Quality of Life – Companions can now be summoned while moving.
  • A new feature on the in-game Preference screen has been added for higher graphic settings to improve the realism of contrast and shadows.
  • Class balance – The following Disciplines are receiving changes (details will follow in the next few weeks):
    • Lethality / Ruffian
    • Concealment / Scrapper
    • Medicine / Sawbones
    • Fury / Concentration
    • Carnage / Combat

[*]Season 8 will be coming to an end! We will post the full breakdown of rewards with screenshots in the coming weeks but in the meantime… the top rewards include a full weapon set and a new Ember Makrin Mount.

[*]We are making changes to daily and weekly mission rewards for PvP with the intent of substantially improving Unassembled Component gain for players who complete both Ranked and Unranked missions.

Back to the Roadmap update for a moment as I’d like to provide some guidelines about the feedback. Be concise and specific. Think how it will affect other players, fairness, progression, impact, to help us truly understand and weigh your thoughts against the entire plan/direction.

Keep in mind, our goal for this year was to put us on a track of providing new and challenging multi-player content, while addressing all the gameplay systems in SWTOR. It does mean spreading content out over the year, but I still believe having access to content sooner is more desirable than having to wait a year to get it all at once.

Chat with you all soon.

Keith

Hi Keith:

Thanks a lot for the update, could you also let us know if you and your dev team ever consider the possibility to make command stash legacy or to make the left side gear legacy wide... (have way too many good relic/earpiece/implant disintegrated from my command stash, such a waste) :/

Please do not vote for 250 bolster....Do you guys understand that in doing so, you will cancel out any gear progression in place? Why would you want that? What benefit does that give people? Please...

Why do you need a gear gap in pvp... you can still have progression in pve

Know your place.

You don't speak for anyone so stop saying "what players want" but rather what you want. How would you know the devs aren't listening? Perhaps they are listening but are disagreeing or have other reasons why they don't agree or don't do some things you want. You loose credibility with that kind of arrogance.

You assume they loose customers because of the thing you want but they don't implement. Again, loose that arrogance of yours, you loose credibility that way.

It is communications. What kind of hopes did you have? Perhaps you will find that "dream MMO" somewhere else.

Actually lots of players want exactly what he wrote. I'd even go so far as saying the majority of pvpers want what it. So I'm happy for him to speak for me on this topic as I'm sure others are too.

It's easy to know the Devs aren't listening. Keith pretty much said as much when he said they want to keep Bolster at 242 so there is a gear progression.

Any pvper knows that will still have a larger than needed gear gap. Hence Keith is ignoring our feed back, ie not listening to what the dedicated pvpers want.

Edited by Icykill_

Actually lots of players want exactly what he wrote. I'd even go so far as saying the majority of pvpers want what it. So I'm happy for him to speak for me on this topic as I'm sure others are too.

It's easy to know the Devs aren't listening. Keith pretty much said as much when he said they want to keep Bolster at 242 so there is a gear progression.

Any pvper knows that will still have a larger than needed gear gap. Hence Keith is ignoring our feed back, ie not listening to what the dedicated pvpers want.

And lots of players don't. I don't, and I know plenty of others who don't. I don't know if it is the majority or not, but I am not arrogant enough to assume one way or the other.

"Listening" and "bending over backwards" are 2 very different things. People can listen and disagree, and that is exactly what BW is doing.

And not any pvper knows that 242 is a larger gear gap than needed. I certainly don't. In fact, I'd rather it be lower than 242.

Maybe he disagrees with your feedback, that doesn't mean he disagrees with everyone's feedback.

Why should PVE have gear progression but not PVP?

Under this current format, yes. Gear progression has always been what pve raiders are about.

Pvpers have never wanted gear progression and have been arguing for it to be removed or minimised since launch. It's why Bolster and expertise were originally introduced.

Unfortunately they still kept gear progression, but over the years the gear gap got smaller and smaller and gearing for pvp was accelerated so that it was skill vs skill pvp. During the 4.x period they had fine tuned it to the best it had ever been. People were able to play skill vs skill pvp because you could gear in a week and there was also a very small gear gap between the gear. ie, 204 entry, 208 ranked and 190 pve gear actually bolstered properly and the stats weren't far off 204.

I've been trying to find a Dev post made years ago... where they said they understood we wanted skill vs skill pvp and not gear vs gear pvp... it's why they changed the whole pvp gearing system back then to take us down the path of skill based pvp. Unfortunately I can't find the post after 2 hours of searching. (If anyone else has a link can you please share) I'm actually wondering if it's been removed because it was being referred to in other threads not long after 5.0 launched 😕

I've made numerous posts in other threads on how to still make CXP gearing relevant in pvp... I really don't want to write it all out again. If you want to read all of my posts in the Bolster thread you will see what I mean and also why I'm making the point for higher Bolster

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926155

You will also see how a large majority of the dedicated players believe and want the same thing.

And lots of players don't. I don't, and I know plenty of others who don't. I don't know if it is the majority or not, but I am not arrogant enough to assume one way or the other.

"Listening" and "bending over backwards" are 2 very different things. People can listen and disagree, and that is exactly what BW is doing.

And not any pvper knows that 242 is a larger gear gap than needed. I certainly don't. In fact, I'd rather it be lower than 242.

Maybe he disagrees with your feedback, that doesn't mean he disagrees with everyone's feedback.

Let me ask the question, are you a dedicated pvper? What percentage of your play time is in pvp vs pve?

If you think it should be lower than 242 it only demonstrates your need for a gear gap. Do you need a crutch to beat other players or do you like stomping people with lower gear?

Edited by Icykill_

Under this current format, yes. Gear progression has always been what pve raiders are about.

Pvpers have never wanted gear progression and have been arguing for it to be removed or minimised since launch. It's why Bolster and expertise were originally introduced.

Unfortunately they still kept gear progression, but over the years the gear gap got smaller and smaller and gearing for pvp was accelerated so that it was skill vs skill pvp. During the 4.x period they had fine tuned it to the best it had ever been. People were able to play skill vs skill pvp because you could gear in a week and there was also a very small gear gap between the gear. ie, 204 entry, 208 ranked and 190 pve gear actually bolstered properly and the stats weren't far off 204.

I've been trying to find a Dev post made years ago... where they said they understood we wanted skill vs skill pvp and not gear vs gear pvp... it's why they changed the whole pvp gearing system back then to take us down the path of skill based pvp. Unfortunately I can't find the post after 2 hours of searching. (If anyone else has a link can you please share) I'm actually wondering if it's been removed because it was being referred to in other threads not long after 5.0 launched 😕

I've made numerous posts in other threads on how to still make CXP gearing relevant in pvp... I really don't want to write it all out again. If you want to read all of my posts in the Bolster thread you will see what I mean and also why I'm making the point for higher Bolster

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926155

You will also see how a large majority of the dedicated players believe and want the same thing.

Gear progression is not what progression raiders are about, at least not any that I know. It is a means to an end, that's all. Progression raiders did not just run EV and KP back in 4.0 and then call it a day. They farmed it to get BiS gear, and then went and did progression.

Let me ask the question, are you a dedicated pvper? What percentage of your play time is in pvp vs pve?

If you think it should be lower than 242 it only demonstrates your need for a gear gap. Do you need a crutch to beat other players or do you like stomping people with lower gear?

About 65% of my time is PVP, 35% ops, 5% miscellaneous. So no, I don't spend 100% of my time PVPing which seems to be what you think is needed to have an opinion on the subject, but I do it enough. And feel free to make whatever assumptions about my skill you like, I don't really care. But the carrot of gear is what gets people to PVP, including myself and many others. Take the carrot away, and a lot of people will just stop doing it. I did it in 4.0 when my toons were in 208s, I'm doing it now that my toons are in 248s.

Gear progression is not what progression raiders are about, at least not any that I know. It is a means to an end, that's all. Progression raiders did not just run EV and KP back in 4.0 and then call it a day. They farmed it to get BiS gear, and then went and did progression.

About 65% of my time is PVP, 35% ops, 5% miscellaneous. So no, I don't spend 100% of my time PVPing which seems to be what you think is needed to have an opinion on the subject, but I do it enough. And feel free to make whatever assumptions about my skill you like, I don't really care. But the carrot of gear is what gets people to PVP, including myself and many others. Take the carrot away, and a lot of people will just stop doing it. I did it in 4.0 when my toons were in 208s, I'm doing it now that my toons are in 248s.

If you bothered to go read my posts in the Bolster thread you would see how you can still have your carrot and eat it too for gearing up in pvp to be used in pve.

I'm assuming that if you need a carrot to pvp you are only doing it to gear up for pve. So if you can still get gear in pvp to use in pve why does it matter if Bolster is higher so we have skill based pvp?

Seriously, if you "need" an incentive to play pvp, then you probably shouldn't be playing it.

Edited by Icykill_

None of which have an MMO aspect. If you're looking for a pure PvP game, you listed a bunch of great ones.

FYI...I would add Heroes of the Storm to that list. My Lili will WTFPWNU.

#waytonotnamecomparablegames

I would also add HoTS to the list, it's an enjoyable game to play for PvP.

I think the problem with the PvP in SWTOR comes in two to three distinct parts, first and foremost it still tries to adhere to a very narrow vision of being a form of gear progression. Other games that do well with PvP have no form of gear progression, there are incentives there that negate the lack of gear progression (HoTS is a really good example of how to do this well).

So what is stopping BioWare from thinking outside the box and removing the gear progression aspect, while still retaining the incentives? Nothing? They can still have UC and credits drop so it fits with their gearing projections over the course of time. Including some form of lockbox as rewards from dailies and weeklies, that contain items of "shiny pixels" is definitely doable considering that we already have the CM and RNG gearboxes in the game.

The second distinct part is the lack of balance in the matchmaking itself, you frequently find team A has x amount of healers while team B has none. Well if the players are all queuing at the same time how hard would it be to spread them out so the matches themselves are more balanced? It's rubbish like that, that really detracts from a good experience.

Lastly. This has to be said, as a community we've provided a lot of feedback on new maps and ideas for game types as well a various other suggestions over time. Where exactly has this led? BioWare either have a lack of development time to make PvP truly successful (along with the above points raised) and players simply lose interest while waiting for them to get their act together, or they simply don't want to listen.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed PvP in SWTOR up until the mess of the whole gearing fiasco that hasn't been even remotely fixed enough to make me want to participate again. Bolster being adjusted to make gearing a non-issue would resolve that, however it isn't going to happen due to a narrow vision from what BioWare want. I'm actually fine with that, I'm happy to play other games for my PvP fix and I am. It is long overdue BioWare Austin started listening to player feedback in this area, PvP in SWTOR has always had potential. It just isn't fulfilled.

Edited by Transcendent

We did read the whole thread and remember we didn't offer that as an option as progression is still part of PvP. Moving Bolster to 250 virtually eliminates the need to get gear and reduces the value for those who have earned Tier 4 pieces.

Nonsense. Those who have reached 248 would lose nothing. Why don't you guys try a bit of honesty for once, and say that you want PVPer to participate in this inane CXP grind to force us into a subscription status.

Edited by Lundorff

Personally and this is just my play style everything in an MMO needs progression, even the story content.

Sure I may play through the chapters to see how the story unfolds, great you got me for 10 or 20 or maybe 40 hours. In some cases like the Sith Warrior original story its great story telling, in others like Kotfe it feels a lot more like filler and rather dull. It puts a hell of a lot of pressure on telling a good story if you want people to play just to experience the story we are talking Dragon Age Origins good. But then what they going to put out 5 or so hours of amazing story every month to keep me interested, seems unlikely.

So they need some repeatable content and an impressive grind to keep me logging in and the more of a grind (grind not being considered fun) the larger the carrot at the end of the time has to be. We are talking my own uber Saber, a dragon mount or Jaesa. A random lock box filled with junk perhaps not so much.

I'd be surprised if PvP or raiding where vastly different. I was talking to my old guild the other day about raiding in another MMO, and they were laughing how many times we ran the same old raids cause that was exciting! (not a genuine excitement). How many times can you beat Revan before you say you know what we been here, we got the T-Shirt and we done this. Or lets play this on a higher difficulty so any mistake by anyone on the raid is a wipe and certain classes that aren't OP aren't welcome so you members of the raid group reroll or go home. What is SOR 2 or 2 and a half years now are there really hard core raiders that are still signing up 3 times a week to take on this challenge?

PvP seems even worse, the lack of maps, the lack of class balance, the lack of group balance and in some cases class to map balance and currently the lack of gear balance. It would seem that no PvP game has anything to do with skill and faces insurmountable odds of actually getting a balanced game. Now no doubt ganking the poor under geared noobs that aren't playing the fotm class on the other side that were stupid enough to pug and got 8 sentinels is no doubt fun for the winning side which will no doubt be met by gg gg for the winners who take their victory as team work and skill. But aside from probably any PvP match 50% are coming away think it was rubbish and pvp is a joke and x, y or z is unbalance. But because its all instanced mini games as soon as the match is over its reset, you don't take a beachhead for your faction, you don't hold turrets that can provide support when on the planet or uncover ancient secrets that offer new ships, or weapons or relics. PvP has been marginalized to instanced war simulations thats appeal is tied solely to any enjoyment of killing another player or the reward from such.

The stronghold tied to the completion of a flashpoint grind is a step in the right directions, a horrible misstep but it offers a grind and a reward. The downside of course is the reward is another stronghold, so the people interested in it may not be interested in running through a flashpoint 10 times, while the people interested in doing flashpoints may have no use for a stronghold other than for conquest points. With even them being some what a forgotten aspect of the game and dominated by massive guilds and people that stack up 100's of thousands of crafting points in those weeks, which seems like a full time job only at least at work you get paid for doing it. But you want people to repeat content 10 or 20 or 100 times you need to offer a carrot and it can't be tied to a random loot box as then your not working towards something but working to a chance to gamble.

Nonsense. Those who have reached 248 would lose nothing. Why don't you guys try a bit of honesty for once, and say that you want PVPer to participate in this inane CXP grind to force us into a subscription status.

Except it has the opposite affect to making us subscribe... we stop playing instead

Moreover, gear progression encouarges PvP, which encourages WZs to pop.

Sorry, you are totally wrong here.

No one is going to come back to PvP if their first experience is them (Randoms with 228 Gear) matched with a Premade with 242 Gear.

The newbies will get steamrollered, correctly conclude that PvP is not even remotely balanced, and never come back.

However, segregating WZs by Gear Score duplicates the issue of WZs not popping very often.

Insisting on Gear Progression being part of PvP is making PvP less viable, not more.

All The Best

Except it has the opposite affect to making us subscribe... we stop playing instead

Indeed it does. I think prior to all of this GC rubbish, playing PvP wasn't a chore. It was nice to play alts or do dailies and it counted as progression towards all of your characters (because you could use legacy comms to gear them). There wasn't any inane grind to CR300 for each character you wanted to play just to be geared up quickly so you could enjoy a more balanced PvP match where players were on a more even footing.

I mean, sure, they're going to make UC legacy bound, but you still have to grind like a workhorse to eventually be able to have that fun now. I just look at that mountain and think to myself "why bother?". I can go play something else that doesn't have that massive grind involved, something that I can play and enjoy from day one.

Indeed it does. I think prior to all of this GC rubbish, playing PvP wasn't a chore. It was nice to play alts or do dailies and it counted as progression towards all of your characters (because you could use legacy comms to gear them). There wasn't any inane grind to CR300 for each character you wanted to play just to be geared up quickly so you could enjoy a more balanced PvP match where players were on a more even footing.

I mean, sure, they're going to make UC legacy bound, but you still have to grind like a workhorse to eventually be able to have that fun now. I just look at that mountain and think to myself "why bother?". I can go play something else that doesn't have that massive grind involved, something that I can play and enjoy from day one.

It seems to me the only way to make them understand is to unsub. I'm pretty sure if people hadn't unsubbed and continued to unsub after 5.0 came out they would not be bothering to fix it.

The same true of pvp, they just aren't going to listen to reason until everyone leaves. But by then it will be too late this time because there is not enough of a population buffer to keep the game going.

I swear, Bio will keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over until they have no feet left at all, that's when the game falls over because there are no players left to support the finical weight of keeping it going

Edited by Icykill_