Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

Bio will keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over until they have no feet left at all, that's when the game falls over because there are no players left to support the finical weight of keeping it going

Well they did it once - before server merges and f2p, dead fleets with 2-3 players dancing around terminals. But you cannot save one game twice unless you re-release it in Steam. Steam - the last hope... for these devs! :p

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me the only way to make them understand is to unsub.

You're right of course, which is why I only have 22 days remaining before I sit back and simply watch to see how they decide to proceed. As I've said, I get my PvP enjoyment in other games, and I'm looking forward to Destiny 2 to add to that list of games I currently play.

I came back purely to see how things had changed, while it's improved, it isn't anywhere as good as it could be with the stubborn resistance of Austin to remain fixated on GC gearing among other issues with the legacy of Ben Irving. I wish Keith good luck and I hope Austin learn to listen to the feedback given, not just the feedback that they want to hear.

At least communication had improved, and while I do think BioWare Austin and the development team there work hard, I have to consider that they're not always working on the right things when they need to really consider doing so.

It seems to me the only way to make them understand is to unsub. I'm pretty sure if people hadn't unsubbed and continued to unsub after 5.0 came out they would not be bothering to fix it.

The same true of pvp, they just aren't going to listen to reason until everyone leaves. But by then it will be too late this time because there is not enough of a population buffer to keep the game going.

I swear, Bio will keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over until they have no feet left at all, that's when the game falls over because there are no players left to support the finical weight of keeping it going

Frankly, that is probably a good idea. In the 8 months I've been here, your posts have gotten progressively more snarky. A break is sometimes a good thing. With that said, and forgive me for being blunt, but just because you post more than others doesn't mean you speak for the PvP community. Several of us have articulated why some kind of gear gap, the exact level can be debated of course, is a good idea for PvP. You just philosophically disagree. You do understand that our disagreement is whether or not bolster should be b/t 244 and 248? In the grand scheme of things, we actually pretty much agree. But... (there is always a but)

What's insulting, though, is that you think we are not "dedicated" pvp-ers, whatever that means. I have, for better or worse (usually worse) something of an eidetic memory -- and I have yet to hear you articulate a good reason why a slight gear gap isn't a good idea. You ignore the premise and jump to the conclusion.

Let me put it crudely: I like the chaos that is WZs, I want them to pop, that means you need people signing up. A previous poster said that a gear gap is bad because the one with the lower gear gap, once they are stomped, will quit. IMy experience suggests otherwise. Why? Because the vast, vast, vast majority of the time -- it is about coordination and teamwork. His / her experience is totally the opposite of mine -- people will still keep playing (which is provable since the WZs pop). And, no, I'm not ripping out my PvP resume, though I am damn close to linking my armory on WoW.

If you want 100% gear equality for ranked PvP, then I'm completely on board. Sadly, as a Sith might say, we need fodder to kill in WZs -- and putting a juicy carrot on the end of that stick is a good way of doing it.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Why do you care then if players want to make PVP more accessible for EVERYONE and maybe actually make it less of a side activity? If PVE isn't affected (it would actually help PVE gearing for the reasons Jerba mentioned above imo as PVE players could solely focus on PVE content for gearing) what do you care?

Mentioned a few examples above. Can I prove that's the sole reason they are highly successful? Of course not but when you see all the successful games adopt such a model and MMO style "progression" PVP tends to fall flat in comparison it's a valid comparison to make.

What PVP based games that do have a purely progression based stat gearing system are highly successful?

How can it be pay to win if it's speeding up "vanity" progression? You aren't getting an advantage over other players, there is no pay to win.

Oh I never said I don't want to make pvp more accessible. You are just assuming that because I disagree with you. I actually really like the pvp in this game. The point is that you don't speak for everyone and you never will. You aren't special. So stop using phrases like "the players want it" because you don't speak on behalf of all the players.

Oh and sure, you definitely can bring the comparison. But you also can't just compare the pvp in one game to another. Things are more complex than that. swtor's engine isn't also the best for massive scale pvp and that's why the pvp (while I really like it) will never be the main focus of the game in contrast to games like Overwatch or Battlefield.

Actually lots of players want exactly what he wrote. I'd even go so far as saying the majority of pvpers want what it. So I'm happy for him to speak for me on this topic as I'm sure others are too.

It's easy to know the Devs aren't listening. Keith pretty much said as much when he said they want to keep Bolster at 242 so there is a gear progression.

Any pvper knows that will still have a larger than needed gear gap. Hence Keith is ignoring our feed back, ie not listening to what the dedicated pvpers want.

Except that you also don't speak on behalf of the players. You aren't so special and you don't get to decide what makes a pvp Player "dedicated". And no it's not so easy to say if devs are listening. They can listen but ultimately not agree with player's ideas. Because ultimately they are in Charge of the game and not you. And frankly listening too much to Players isn't a good idea because in the end of the day we are all just players and not game designers.

You are just not happy that Keith isn't saying the words you want to hear.

And perhaps you should unsub for a while to cool down. There are lots of other good games out there and like a previous poster mentioned. You are getting agressive and perhaps some time off will help you.

In the 8 months I've been here...

Let me put it crudely: I like the chaos that is WZs, I want them to pop, that means you need people signing up. A previous poster said that a gear gap is bad because the one with the lower gear gap, once they are stomped, will quit. IMy experience suggests otherwise. Why? Because the vast, vast, vast majority of the time -- it is about coordination and teamwork. His / her experience is totally the opposite of mine -- people will still keep playing (which is provable since the WZs pop). And, no, I'm not ripping out my PvP resume, though I am damn close to linking my armory on WoW.

If you want 100% gear equality for ranked PvP, then I'm completely on board. Sadly, as a Sith might say, we need fodder to kill in WZs -- and putting a juicy carrot on the end of that stick is a good way of doing it.

Dasty

The high point of PvP in this game, when even I PvP'd (and I don't PvP in MMORPGs as a rule) was when Bolster was high enough that gear was all but irrelevant.

Because the vast majority of PvPers want PvP to equal Player Skill vs Player Skill, and that just can not happen when there's a 5% or 10% gear disparity.

Linking to your WoW Armoury proves precisely nothing, PvP in SWtoR is not the same as PvP in WoW, and I well remember the days of PvP Scrubs in Welfare Epics from WoW - that was part of the reason I stopped playing PvP in MMORPGs.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

The high point of PvP in this game, when even I PvP'd (and I don't PvP in MMORPGs as a rule) was when Bolster was high enough that gear was all but irrelevant.

Because the vast majority of PvPers want PvP to equal Player Skill vs Player Skill, and that just can not happen when there's a 5% or 10% gear disparity.

Linking to your WoW Armoury proves precisely nothing, PvP in SWtoR is not the same as PvP in WoW, and I well remember the days of PvP Scrubs in Welfare Epics from WoW - that was part of the reason I stopped playing PvP in MMORPGs.

All The Best

Spuds,

I didn't respond to your previous post and am reluctant to do so this time, because you can't seem to grasp the CORE CONCEPT.

Obviously, we want PvP to be about skill. My point, which is obviously lost on you, is that...

PvP will happen much less frequently unless there is a carrot.

TL:DR: We share the same goal, just have different means to get there. If you want purely equal PvP, why not just turn that into an Arena match with equal gear.

P.S. One of the most annoying habits of people who play this game is assuming that anything do to with WoW is automatically bad. Don't be that guy.

Edited by Jdast

Great questions. As I outlined in the Roadmap, we are returning to our MMO roots, but as everyone knows, we were focused on story development and left most MMO content alone for the past couple years.

To change our direction, we had to retool, reorganize, hire new talent, and get everyone on board with the changed direction. That takes time, so we made a choice and decided to release the Operation Boss encounters one at a time. This gave us more time to design, polish, test, and get insight directly from players, versus making everyone wait all year before we released 5 new bosses.

It wasn't an easy decision, as we knew we were going to be criticized while impacting progression efforts. But, honestly, it was the right call. We're discussing future content, how to release it, what's going to be included, and when, but we won't be ready to disclose our next year's plans for a while.

I know that's vague, yet it gives you an idea of where we're headed.

---Keith

Sadly ... the issue is ... even with a beast mode PC ... this game can't handle MMO content. Just like how you guys killed Ilum PvP at launch because the servers couldn't handle it. You get more then 8 characters on the screen doing skill animations ... GG. Literally the worst engine in MMO history. Thread after thread ... youtube videos ... and blogs by MMO sites tell you just exactly how shank this engine is. I would rather see work done to the engine then anything else. You people ( lord knows I'm not allowed to actually call you what I want) play it off and pretend like everything is sunshine and unicorn rainbow turds.

Fact is this game has been out since 2011 and is still the most unpolished rough trash can in terms of stability as when it launched.

You nailed it.

Even though it may not be apparent, I send so many of your suggestions to the Dev Team. We discuss them, debate them, then if we like something, we determine the effort, and decide when to do it. Keep in mind, we have to work to a schedule to ensure we deliver all agreed upon parts at the right time.

What may seem a simple change could very well add weeks of not just Development time, but Engineering, QA, reschedule of VO recordings, localization, and more. Although I'm notorious about asking for changes mid-stream, we desperately try not to, as it can impact everyone and cause schedule delays.

--Keith-

ps...sorry for all the posts seemingly all at once. We've been heads down this past week on various planning activities (including the Roadmap update) and realized we hadn't kept you apprised.

Doesn't have to do anything with class balance, or your inability to fix glaring bugs. Unless yor codebase is even more ****ed up than anyone imagined, changes to abilities should be a very easy fix. Don't try to pretend it is that complicated, dont even try to pretend you are spending that much time testing so it takes that long. Be honest and say you heard it but didn't give a damn as usual, and maybe then we'll get somewhere.

They do listen to us, but sometimes what we say isn't always right. There are various opinions on what they should and shouldn't. do.

I been here long enough to have lived through nerfs on my favorite character (sawbones) and been able to adjust and still able to play my sawbones. I have yet to not be able to play any of my toons because of changes they make to a character.

People have been complaining about the lightning spec sorceress for a long time and yet I have not had any problems with mine, even in operations. Sure I don't do pvp but that is one aspect of the game, not the entire game as someone want to make it seem like.

I have spoken to a friend of mine, whose opinion I respect and trust, and he agreed that the healing on the sorceress/sage is a bit too much. I have given his feedback since he doesn't come to the forums.

Customers are not always right, no matter what they want to believe. There are times that a customer is wrong but they can be stubborn and not admit that because they want what they want and don't take into consideration what is actually beneficial to more than just them.

That is the main problem here, each person wants something different but yet each of us think what we want is more important than someone else that is not true. The devs have to go through everything we may suggest and see if it will work but they have to consider the whole picture, not just our view.

You know, people like you are actually making things worse in the current situation. There are less and less people playing because of idiotic decisions they make, but you keep finding excuses, you keep bending over backwards to keep playing how you used to. Good on you if you can make it work in your little bubble, but telling others that theywrong because of something someone told you is just...I don't even have words for that.

Let's get this one straight: The customer IS always right, from their own POV. The customer si NOT obligated to agree to any disadvantage to their own enjoyment for the "greater good" and pulling the moral card here is simply confusing the matter. Bioware's decision diminish the enjoymnet of a lot of players lately, said players are leaving. People like you insist that nothing is wrong because eh they could have adapted, right? Wake up. They don't have that much room for error here any more, and with declining population, even your playstyle will be affected, directly or indirectly.

We are working to change currencies to be Legacy based. This includes unassembled components, credits, the Umbara currency, and more. I'm not aware of any major obstacles preventing this from happening, and doing so will help with a number of changes we are planning for the future

This is probably best news since 5.0 came out. I noticed some players oppose access to legacy currencies (like credits for example), so why not let us fuse currencies only with characters that are connected via family tree in legacy? That way players have option to use currency legacy wide or not use it and remain as it is. They can also decide to fuse temporarily and disconnect from family tree whenever they wish. You get to update that benefits players who want it, without pissing off players that don't want it.

Also why so many currencies? Command Tokens should do most of it and UC should be removed from game.

230 can be bought with Command Tokens. Those items can be used to buy next tier (or its shells if we take mods out). So make it:

236 purchasable with Command Tokens +230 shells

242 purchasable with Command Tokens +236 shells

248 purchasable with Command Tokens +242 shells

This way characters have to go through gear progression, it is not as slow but also not as fast, if you play a bit with numbers you can make it at reasonable and desired speed. RNG no longer rises blood pressure. And it is not complex for new players, as the current chaos of so many currencies, which is horrible, gets me confused with all those names.

How can we earn command tokens? From Command Crates. We receive them each time we level up Command Rank. By playing Galactic Command we gain Command Rank. All activities in Galactic Command benefit players now. The harder difficulty the greater CXP reward, the faster DING! But some activities, those that are more difficult and require more time, give you Command Tokens directly in addition to CXP.

Story mode gives CXP, and requires you to level to get Command Tokens from a crate.

Veteran mode gives you increased CXP, making it faster to get level up, faster income with Command Tokens.

Master mode give you best CXP to level up + Command Tokens drops from bosses (in addition to crates) and players do not roll for them against each other, they are all rewarded for playing legendary difficulty.

Played Warzone/GSF give CXP that gives command crates that gives command tokens.

Won Warzone/GSF gives more CXP + Direct Command Tokens (those AFKers must play to win for faster rate).

Weekly Warzones/GSF give CXP + Direct Command Tokens.

Story Weeklies give small number of command tokens and small CXP.

Veteran Weeklies give medium number of command tokens and medium CXP.

Master Weeklies give high number of command tokens and high CXP.

(Chapters also have difficulties so they are also included to reward single player)

All command tokens are legacy wide of course. And now players can play any activity they like with any character they want, and will not dodge certain activities because they are useless. PvE Group Finder can be alive again. But still must include next in the Group Finder:

Master Mode Uprising.

Veteran Mode Operations.

Master Mode Operations.

Add all Operations of all difficulties in the group finder. Keep the lockout if you want, but make change to it to work as: Players can repeat Operations as much as they want and receive the default reward for completing it. In case they are locked out (aka retrieved loot drop from a boss), they will still be able to play same operations and same bosses, but will not be able to receive drop from that boss until the lockout ends. They still gain reward for completing the operation. This will allow us to play any operation anytime with any character, even repeat it to help our guildies and friends.

Don't forget Preferred players we need them! Grant them access to Galactic Command if they subscribed anytime during last expansion. Sure reduce progress rate down to like 30% of what Subscribers are. Anything is better than nothing. Grant them access to Galactic Command and all its activities as long they subscribed at least once since last expansion was released.

Edited by BoySaber

ToR has never really claimed to be about PvP.

Even SWG's had restuss and 3 bases dotted around the place to encourage open world pvp (along with the flagging system and bounty hunting). ToR has Ilum for a couple of months and after that it was 4 and then 5 instanced battles grounds (and possibly GSF though) and a few arenas. In general the game was to offer Story to the MMO concept and this is what it offered that other MMO's didn't a dialogue wheel so I could in some way personalize my adventure, unlike the mute in TSW.

To suggest that gear difference is the big problem with PvP and fixing it will make PvP great and ToR a success seems unrealistic. Should bolster be set to 500 so you will never have to worry about gear again and people can turn up naked to warzones, then it will be class balance, it will be how instanced zones are rubbish, it will be that healers are too important or group making sucks and pre-mades are ruining pvp. Then there is combat its self which seems to encourage stun locks and the use of macros more than skill. Then should all this be fixed, it will be the engine lags and that pvp is pointless and there is no intensive. I don't know what the figures of PvPers are but I recall the devs of Star Trek Online once said that the number of pvp players was so small that the number of players made no significant impact on the game.

If you have a PvP centered game that offers open world conquest and bases and cities to capture great. But given how limited PvP is in ToR is moving the problem from gear to pre-mades and class balance going to make this a PvP mecca where everything about PvP is great?

You're right of course, which is why I only have 22 days remaining before I sit back and simply watch to see how they decide to proceed. As I've said, I get my PvP enjoyment in other games, and I'm looking forward to Destiny 2 to add to that list of games I currently play.

I came back purely to see how things had changed, while it's improved, it isn't anywhere as good as it could be with the stubborn resistance of Austin to remain fixated on GC gearing among other issues with the legacy of Ben Irving. I wish Keith good luck and I hope Austin learn to listen to the feedback given, not just the feedback that they want to hear.

At least communication had improved, and while I do think BioWare Austin and the development team there work hard, I have to consider that they're not always working on the right things when they need to really consider doing so.

Wow, 60 people on the Harbinger imp fleet... and pvp is 10-20 min wait for lvl 70 at the moment 😕

I think they've waited or taken too long to try and fix the game and just keep making the same mistakes over and over and think it will be ok.

People are telling them what's wrong, but they don't listen and more people give up because they can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Unless they are doing something major that we don't know about, the game will be officially dead by Xmas... it's been said so many times over the years, but the writing is in big neon lights this time... it's a shame Bioware can't see neon 🙄

Could someone explain why they think that PVE should have gear progression but PVP should not? That has never really made sense to me, if one has it both should. Both PVP and PVE are about skill at the highest levels, good gear is only useful for overcoming deficits on both. There is definitely a winner and a loser in both PVE and PVP (trust me, spend 2 months trying to kill Styrack NiM and tell me you don't think you can lose in PVE).

Having gear be useful in both is pretty important in my opinion. I finally got my 2 mains into 248 gear (merc, rip, and operative, soon-to-be rip) and honestly, now that both are fully min-maxed I feel way less incentivezed to either PVP or to do ops (still do some of both, but nowhere near as much as I did, maybe I'll pick something else to gear up and play more, we'll see). Sure, everyone claims that they want "skill to be the only thing that matters" but I strongly suspect, that what they say and what players actually do tell 2 different stories. Heck, personally speaking I would love it if there was no gearing at all, I hate doing an op with a bunch of people in 242 gear and enraging on Annihilator Droid and someone claiming it is because they had bad gear. But, I know that gear incentives people to run the content, and provides a carrot in both PVP and PVE, and without it, fewer people would be doing both types of content.

Why should PVE have gear progression but not PVP?

There are actually two questions here:

1. Should PvE and PvP have the same gear progression?
  2. Should PvP still have its own gear progression when it's separate from PvE?

The answer to the first question is without doubt "no". PvE and PvP are completely different playstyles, and it makes no sense to mix the two. You can't balance PvE against PvP. One requires skill while the other requires time invested and some RNG depending on matchmaking.

The way it is tuned right now, PvP is the favored way of gearing. Any PvE player not in one of the handful guilds that can kill MM endbosses is screwed, the only way for him to get 248 gear is to do PvP. And yes, even VM player need 248 gear, in fact they need it more than the MM players because the MM players can kill bosses with 224 gear; the VM players are not that good and need gear to carry them.

We probably wouldn't have this discussion if PvE and PvP gear are separated, because question #2 is more ambiguous; the arguments for and against it are not as strong.

I wrote a long post on page 73 with my opinion on that. In PvE, gear progression is necessary because it motivates players to kill the same old bosses each week. PvE is very repetitive, and gear progression is needed to keep players interested.

For example, one guild on my server has now stopped raiding for the next 2-3 months because they killed A&E VM and since they already got full 248 gear from PvP, there's no need to kill it more than once so they'll just wait until the next boss is out.

Ideally, A&E should drop one new gear piece, then you are forced to kill the boss 8 times so that every player has it. And like I mentioned, there must be some measure in place to prevent players from farming the boss with multiple alts and using legacy gear, it throws off the progression.

For PvP, in my opinion gear is not needed because each match is different (it never gets boring) and because new players already have a hard time to keep up with skilled players, there's no need to add a gear gap to make it even more frustrating for them.

For Ranked PvP especially, everyone should have the same stats. For normal PvP, I don't mind it either way. As long as the gear is separated from PvE gear and the gear gap, if it exists, is very small, I don't have a strong opinion on it. But I am also mainly a PvE player, not a PvPer, so I'll let the PvP players discuss that. Some food for thought from Modny:

We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable. It is a balance act, sometimes it will slide too far on one side or the other and we will correct it but this methodology, the balance between skill vs. gear, will result in the most healthy PvP game and community possible for the long term.
Edited by Jerba

Doesn't have to do anything with class balance, or your inability to fix glaring bugs. Unless yor codebase is even more ****ed up than anyone imagined, changes to abilities should be a very easy fix. Don't try to pretend it is that complicated, dont even try to pretend you are spending that much time testing so it takes that long. Be honest and say you heard it but didn't give a damn as usual, and maybe then we'll get somewhere.

Another self-called game developer who knows it all better than the ones in charge. Lmao an easy fix. With that attitude it will make your criticism irrelevant and worthless.

Edited by menofhorror

You know, people like you are actually making things worse in the current situation. There are less and less people playing because of idiotic decisions they make, but you keep finding excuses, you keep bending over backwards to keep playing how you used to. Good on you if you can make it work in your little bubble, but telling others that theywrong because of something someone told you is just...I don't even have words for that.

Let's get this one straight: The customer IS always right, from their own POV. The customer si NOT obligated to agree to any disadvantage to their own enjoyment for the "greater good" and pulling the moral card here is simply confusing the matter. Bioware's decision diminish the enjoymnet of a lot of players lately, said players are leaving. People like you insist that nothing is wrong because eh they could have adapted, right? Wake up. They don't have that much room for error here any more, and with declining population, even your playstyle will be affected, directly or indirectly.

Oh so keeing your cool and being Level headed makes Things worse? How exactly? Is it that hard to criticize without swearing or using insults or using the same statements that the game is dying? I am all for criticism and I ranted too but to say the customer is always right is wrong, simply wrong because believe it or not, the customer does not always know what's best.

And just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he/she is living in a bubble. Stop assuming so, it makes you look silly.

Wow, 60 people on the Harbinger imp fleet... and pvp is 10-20 min wait for lvl 70 at the moment 😕

I think they've waited or taken too long to try and fix the game and just keep making the same mistakes over and over and think it will be ok.

People are telling them what's wrong, but they don't listen and more people give up because they can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Unless they are doing something major that we don't know about, the game will be officially dead by Xmas... it's been said so many times over the years, but the writing is in big neon lights this time... it's a shame Bioware can't see neon 🙄

More People give up? Sure, there are other great games out there?

I understand getting emotional but despite your rants I predict that you will stay subscribed to the game.

As of right now, it is not a Legacy currency. But, I know exactly what you're thinking, so let me pre-announce something which I suspect will make you smile, while at the same time, irritate you because I won't tell you when until I update the Roadmap. :eek:

We are working to change currencies to be Legacy based. This includes unassembled components, credits, the Umbara currency, and more. I'm not aware of any major obstacles preventing this from happening, and doing so will help with a number of changes we are planning for the future.

I know that doesn't solve the concern about having to run the Flashpoint multiple times on one character, but once you have the Key to open the Stronghold, you can use the currency for other items on the vendor.

Have a good weekend,

-Keith--

What about making ranked tokens legacy wide so we can purchase the more expensive items more easily if we play ranked across multiple toons.

Consider the time of day it is. He posted that massively early in the morning for any west coast server. Most west coast people are still sleeping.

Ahh right, I'm from Scotland so I'm just looking at my time.:rak_03:

Another self-called game developer who knows it all better than the ones in charge. Lmao an easy fix. With that attitude it will make your criticism irrelevant and worthless.

Game developer, no. Business software developer and quite experienced with databases handling a lot more data and transactions than this this game, yes. The principles of software design are the same, and what I'm criticizing here is the backend and the excuses why changing a couple of variables in the backend should be all that complicated.

See, there is only two options. Either the whole thing is so badly designed that a change to basic properties REALLY is that complicated, which would mean the designers from the beginning have been incompetent, management has been incompetent, and so have the developers themselves.

Or it isn't that complicated, which means they actually do know what they are doing and just don't want to admit they don't want faster changes because out of business considerations. Which of the two is more likely to you?

A game's codebase is no special snowflake and in principle not different from that of any other application. The same principles of software design will hold true for it. So yes, those of us here who are in IT will be qualified to comment on what they are seeing, whether you like it or not.