Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP

EricMusco

A combination of two things:

1) Bring bolster up to 242.

2) Lower cost of upgrades.

Currently I found that the best way to gear up for PvP, is to go run EV/KP HM to gather some easy 242 gear (there are pug runs happening almost every day), and then MAYBE bother to upgrade it to 248 slowly. Currently the cost of 275 component is WAY too high. The weekly for warzone gives 40 component, and daily gives 12. Meaning if you complete the quests daily, It will probably take you 2 (maybe 3 weeks) for one item upgrade. I would rather see the cost be brought down by one level for everything. Honestly, with the release of T4 gear, I was expecting the T1 vendor to go away and there to be T2/T3/T4 vendors with the old prices for T1/T2/T3.

There is no reason to spend components on anything that is not T4 gear, because it is much much easier to get that from elsewhere (for alts that is).

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about bolstering to 250, but also add a new pvp set-bonus that people can grind unass. comps toward? People love set bonuses, or at least I do.

Good idea +

They could use those PvP set bonuses to help balance out some of the utility balance issues without nerfing anything/anyone.

Option 3 is the best. It allows for some (even if somewhat small) gear progression, while still making it viable to PvP without a huge grind - similar to the last iteration of PvP gear. Tier 1 was really cheap and easy to get, most people instantly had Tier 1 gear when they hit max level. Tier 2 required some grinding, but it was fine, the difference was not substantial. Just another thing that a tryhard would grind to optimize.

The issue is not the bolster. The issue goes back to RNG from crates. Yes, you added the UC's to get gear, but it still goes back to "do I spend the UC's now or wait to see what o get in the next crate?" You have 90 chances to get the same piece of gear in each tier. PvP is a pretty fast way to get command levels, but if I get an ear piece six crates in a row, I have not made any progress on my gear. I have full 242+ except for my 230 relic on on of my toons. I can go buy the relic and upgrade, but it kind goes to show that RNG can be a beast.

Keep GC, change the gear drops to currency.....everyone is happy.

Edited by MacCleoud

A combination of two things:

1) Bring bolster up to 242.

2) Lower cost of upgrades.

Currently I found that the best way to gear up for PvP, is to go run EV/KP HM to gather some easy 242 gear (there are pug runs happening almost every day), and then MAYBE bother to upgrade it to 248 slowly. Currently the cost of 275 component is WAY too high. The weekly for warzone gives 40 component, and daily gives 12. Meaning if you complete the quests daily, It will probably take you 2 (maybe 3 weeks) for one item upgrade. I would rather see the cost be brought down by one level for everything. Honestly, with the release of T4 gear, I was expecting the T1 vendor to go away and there to be T2/T3/T4 vendors with the old prices for T1/T2/T3.

There is no reason to spend components on anything that is not T4 gear, because it is much much easier to get that from elsewhere (for alts that is).

Good example of what I pointed out on the previous page.

They say they want gear progression for each activity, but they took out the PvP gear progression when they removed expertise.

Now the best way to do the PvP gear progression is to PvE.

Edited by Foambreaker

PvP shouldn't be about gear progression, only customization (min-maxing). Bolster should respect the type of mod, enhancement etc. that you have on, but bolster it to BiS.

On the other hand, I'd love to see more then one optimal stat build. Maybe even introduce new stats that are only usable (meaningful) in PvP, but easily obtainable even for PvE players (crafting or purchased from vendors for credits).

More customization, less progression. Why? Because I don't have time to grind 300 ranks on every advanced class. Playing PvP on a single advanced class on same old maps gets dull very fast. Then people leave and wait for class balance or new maps to come back to game...and then they return to dead servers and slow pops...

I had most fun in 4.0 when PvP gear was easily obtainable. All my alts were geared for PvP, some even for multiple specs. I could switch at any point and play whichever spec I felt like. No new ops? I didn't care, all I did was PvP and I had loads of fun. Until then I was just a progression raider and rarely played PvP, I simply never had enough time to get PvP gear next to PvE gear.

Edited by frennky

The problem is the long slog for gear! It has impacted on all aspects of game play, and the dev team are oblivious to it. The problems are as follows:

Bolster set too low.

People in lower gear sets not competitive, gear slower because of stat disadvantages in PvP

Bolster set to high.

Makes a mockery of people working hard to get BiS, casual players need not work on attaining BiS.

Personally I feel that it is slightly too low at the moment.

However the problem is not whether it is too high or too low, the crux of the matter comes from the slow gear progression and component earning potential. If the ability to gear up was faster, then bolster would impact on game play less than it is currently. Setting the bolster too low would not be a problem as gear can be earned and you can rise above the low bolster level quicker. If the bolster was too high then the people that have earned BiS could gear alts faster and not feel like the hard work of attaining BiS was for nothing.

Again the slow gear progression is impacting on game play in PvP because any changes made to the game and difficulty levels have a more lasting effect. I can speak from experience and can tell you that playing my under geared alts is not fun anymore, I have a BiS slinger with over 800 components saved and have nothing to spend them on. If I had legacy components then I could simply spend it on gearing an alt faster, this would mean any bolster level (high or low) would not really matter.

Solution: more components rewarded for missions and matches completed and legacy components, or GET RID OF THE CXP GEARING SYSTEM!

I would like to see either option 2 or 3. It allows for a little progression but would be faster for people to cxp level alts as well. I think gear progression is needed in PVE, but PVP should be skill based as much as possible. If anything, maybe grind out some additional PVP utilities instead of gear. The grind to Tier 4 is taking way longer than it did for two tiers of expertise gear (expertise sucked by the way, thank you Bioware for removing it). There will always be people that cry because they cant wreck noobs with low gear so they can feel like they are great PVPers, but most people like that you can now jump into PVP without swapping out gear or augmenting 2 sets. Thank you BW for letting us put our thoughts into your process.

Change bolster to 242, the people who worked for their 248 gear should feel like they made progression on their toons. If you make everyone 250 then whats the point of all that gearing up? Sure a full 248 might have a better min/max set but it would make too small of a difference against anyone else.

242 is not enough, especially for ranked.

Why you persist on forcing this terrible gear grind upon PVP-players is unfathomable. It drives people away from ALTs and makes low -/midbie PVP pointless. It creates haves and have-not classes in PVP. It means PVP will never be about skill alone, but often about gear and team composition :(

And it is not a viable economical plan! That is the most dumbfounding aspect of it all. You are LOSING money by forcing PVP-players into PVE-aspects that we care nothing for. People are bloody leaving.

Sigh.

But I get it. You are not going to change your mind. You want it this way. Fine. And may you choke on it.

PvP shouldn't be about gear progression, only customization (min-maxing). Bolster should respect the type of mod, enhancement etc. that you have on, but bolster it to BiS.

I agree here.

Option three is the best solution, it keeps the playing field level and rewards player skill. It also gives a goal to shoot for in tier 4 gear.

Why you persist on forcing this terrible gear grind upon PVP-players is unfathomable. It drives people away from ALTs and makes low -/midbie PVP pointless. It creates haves and have-not classes in PVP. It means PVP will never be about skill alone, but often about gear and team composition :(

And it is not a viable economical plan! That is the most dumbfounding aspect of it all. You are LOSING money by forcing PVP-players into PVE-aspects that we care nothing for. People are bloody leaving.

Sigh.

But I get it. You are not going to change your mind. You want it this way. Fine. And may you choke on it.

Ranked is supposed to be a measure of skill, but some insanity exists that says "Now that we are keeping score, keeping track of who is more skilled, we should add in more gear advantages[by taking out bolster]..."

:rolleyes:

We liked

Thats the good point, how many of "You" are there? There are many threads about new maps, new PVP forms etc, they added Odessen and "you" hated it so I guess you guys just dont know what you want!

a top tier player with min maxed gear would absolutely decimate an equally skilled player with no gear with no chance of fighting back. Pvp SHOULDN'T be like this.

This statement is invalid, its not just about the gear but also about the team etc, in PVP you have objectives too, just like in GSF, if you have a low tier ship u dont jump into a group of 4 enemies to get globalled, you support etc. Also, 246 is craftable, you can get full 246 in a few minutes, just grind those credits a little!!

Sigh.

ROFL RANKED??? Are you nuts??

So you want it to be like that you make a token 65 toon, level him fast with whatever to lvl 70 and then just que for ranked?? You put in empty MH and OH shells, buy some cheap gear just to fill in slots so that bolster will have something to bolster and thats it?

WOW Mr. youre crazy!!

So you want it to be like that you make a token 65 toon, level him fast with whatever to lvl 70 and then just que for ranked?? You put in empty MH and OH shells, buy some cheap gear just to fill in slots so that bolster will have something to bolster and thats it?

WOW Mr. youre crazy!!

How is that crazy? The limitations by gear don't make people any smarter.

Now they just queue with blue 208s instead. Yeah thats great.

How is that crazy? The limitations by gear don't make people any smarter.

Now they just queue with blue 208s instead. Yeah thats great.

230 with SET BONUS, then just buy 246s from GTN and you are already better off than 208 blues!! If PVPers wont need gear then why not give us bolster for Master Mode operations!!

Think about it, Musco said before 5.0 that most rewarding activities will be the hardest one in game: Ranked and Master mode Ops, so now you want to give such a high bolster that anyone can do ranked (hardest game content) so then please Bioware, gives us bolster to Master mode operations!!! Why not??? :p

You made it very painful to gear up through pvp, you said that "we dont want to force our players to do what they dont want to do" but in fact it is what you are doing now because today the only one way to gear up within adequate time is do pve and then buying BIS gear through pvp (which means you are actually forcing us to do WHAT WE DONT WANT TO DO). As a consequence Gear disparity became very large and gearing up alts throughout pvp have become a serious painful problem. Many pvp players just LEFT.

So yeah, bolster should be as high as possible so that pvp players would gear up AS THEY WANT (throughout pvp) without being one shoted by those who have 248 gear.

IN addition to this, the problem with both pvp and pve gearing progressions made our game more toxic, you can see in general discussion many threads where pve and pvp players are complaining and arguing with each other which gearing progression (pve or pvp) must be faster or buffed/nerfed.... these "gearing wars" are only causing problems

Oh, i also forgot to mention another problem with gear disparity... since imps dominating almost all servers (except teh and t3m4) imps are winning much more, therefore - getting best gear FASTER. I noticed that Because of this imps dominance became even more serious than before. For example on tre reps mananged to win at least 3-4 fights per day, however now because of bolster being low, and imperial domination still high reps are now win hardly 1-2 games per day lol, due to great gear disparity between imps and reps. So gear disparity and low bolster also makes it harder for reps to fight 246/248 geared imps, and reps weee already bad as hell but now their chances are even lower LOL

Edited by omaan

WOW Mr. youre crazy!!

ikr Keep score on skill only, not gear advantage...:rolleyes: