Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I just wanna get this straight.. please.

Even though I've had a character name since nearly the beginning of the game and play it often - once I get forced into another server I could lose this name because someone has played in the last 90 days over the level 10?

Can you put in a clause for veteran player names that have had it forever and have more play time over someone who may have recently started playing?

If you're both subs it comes down to who's played that character name more

/played

I think this is a major hurdle for some people: fear. They may have been trolled/griefed or had to experience a playstyle outside their comfort zone (PvP) once or twice and now any hint of that experience being a possibility shuts them down. Honestly, I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, just trying to figure out the psychology behind these fears.

LOL, PVP trolled once or twice. That's really funny. I can't tell you how many names I've been called in PvP because my healer didn't heal everyone on the damned field. My job was to cover the tanks and that was what I was doing but because some dpser didn't get a heal on the other side of the field, they got pissed. Once or twice...what a laugh.

I've also RP'd and I can tell you that the reason I left to go to a pve server from an RP server is because of the RPers that caused me grief. I, though, will give the RPers the benefit of the doubt and welcome them wholeheartedly.

LOL, PVP trolled once or twice. That's really funny. I can't tell you how many names I've been called in PvP because my healer didn't heal everyone on the damned field. My job was to cover the tanks and that was what I was doing but because some dpser didn't get a heal on the other side of the field, they got pissed. Once or twice...what a laugh.

What can I say? Welcome to online gaming? It's always the healer's fault. ;) See, most people brush this off as a whiny **** and move on. Or they learn from the experience and improve they're game play. But for some it's a psychologically altering moment. I could also use a PvP scenario as a time I've given advice to someone playing like crap and had it thrown back at me in a very rude manner. But does that make the prospect of bad PvPers being in the queue make me afraid of server merges? No. But for some reason, the possibility of a troll makes RPers deathly afraid of server merges.

Edited by kodrac

I haven't looked forward to a swtor patch in years, this is the first.

About time we prioritize end game group content in both pve and pvp. No updates to ranked but I'll let it slide since east coast will finally have a viable competitive pvp server again. Hasn't been one since Pot5 season 2.

I couldn't care less about a vocal subset of the game's lessened ability to dress up Theron Shan and pretend to be The Dark Lord. The fact that RP and solo players in an MMO was ever catered to was a waste of resources and time. The stories post 50 vanilla class are cringe-worthy B sides from a high school writers club. Give us more competitive group content in the form of raids and ranked and the game might just grow again.

Server merges have been needed for 2 years, better late than never I suppose.

Cap is my City

May be a question already replied, but, is the merged servers will be pvp forced or pve forced or we will have the in game switch option ? thank you

Just like it is now - no change. You pick a PvE or PvP instance.

I think this is a major hurdle for some people: fear. They may have been trolled/griefed or had to experience a playstyle outside their comfort zone (PvP) once or twice and now any hint of that experience being a possibility shuts them down. Honestly, I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, just trying to figure out the psychology behind these fears.

People play games for all sorts of reasons. As an escape from the real world, to deal with anxiety, for fun, etc. Maybe some people just don't relish the prospect of paying for a subscription so they can be harassed and they want to know their gaming experience will be safe and friendly. It isn't an outrageous concept.

People play games for all sorts of reasons. As an escape from the real world, to deal with anxiety, for fun, etc. Maybe some people just don't relish the prospect of paying for a subscription so they can be harassed and they want to know their gaming experience will be safe and friendly. It isn't an outrageous concept.

No it's not but that wasn't really my point. My point was just the mere possibility that there might be a troll or griefer maybe and that person is completely scared off from even trying something that hasn't even happened yet. To me it's like watching a shark documentary and being afraid of going to Florida. We haven't even gotten to the ocean yet and they're already scared. At least give it a try first.

No it's not but that wasn't really my point. My point was just the mere possibility that there might be a troll or griefer maybe and that person is completely scared off from even trying something that hasn't even happened yet. To me it's like watching a shark documentary and being afraid of going to Florida. We haven't even gotten to the ocean yet and they're already scared. At least give it a try first.

To me a better analogy would be this: if you are beaten up while walking down a dark alley, or hear about a friend that is, you may be adverse to walking down dark alleys in the future. Yes, people are nervous because they have either seen or experienced toxic gaming environments and don't want it to happen again.

Compounding this is the fact that BW has not added tools that would help RPers feel safer, such as Legacy-wide ignore functions. That alone would help tons because it would mean people could no longer keep returning as alts to harass someone who has ignored their character. Another would be making ignores apply to emote notifications in chat windows because even blocking someone does not turn those off.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

There is no such place on the internet. If you think you've found one you are fooling yourself. I've played extensively on Harbinger, TEH and JM. The biggest jerks I've run into were on JM. I saw one person on JM literally throw a tantrum and ragequit during a pug when one of the players (not me) was doing some pretty good military rp while also playing the game much better than the quitter. Fleet chat is something else but I don't hang out much on fleets.

There is no such place on the internet. If you think you've found one you are fooling yourself. I've played extensively on Harbinger, TEH and JM. The biggest jerks I've run into were on JM. I saw one person on JM literally throw a tantrum and ragequit during a pug when one of the players (not me) was doing some pretty good military rp while also playing the game much better than the quitter. Fleet chat is something else but I don't hang out much on fleets.

Conduct during pugs isn't the discussion here. And it is a valid point that if one is paying for a service they should be able to reasonably expect some level of safety, or at least enforcement of posted community standards against trolling.

To me a better analogy would be this: if you are beaten up while walking down a dark alley, or hear about a friend that is, you may be adverse to walking down dark alleys in the future. Yes, people are nervous because they have either seen or experienced toxic gaming environments and don't want it to happen again.

I can't put muggers on ignore and go about my business. This is a game. No one's getting beat up. There's a psychological trigger here somewhere. So there's a possibility that some one person out of hundreds or thousands of people may or may not be rude to me in a game. You have that same possibility just going out of the house. What is the trigger here that is unique to role players? Granted it's not all role players, but this fear isn't seen in any other segment of game populations. Countless amounts of time and forum space have been spent the last few months dedicated to the fears of role players. Why? The RP community (which I like btw) will still be able RP on all servers post merge.

Edited by kodrac

Conduct during pugs isn't the discussion here. And it is a valid point that if one is paying for a service they should be able to reasonably expect some level of safety, or at least enforcement of posted community standards against trolling.

I used the pug as an example of one of the jerks I could describe without getting into the sickos and racists - there are no "safe" servers was my point. Conduct should adhere to ToS no matter the server and has nothing to do with merges.

Edited by Savej

I can't put muggers on ignore and go about my business. This is a game. No one's getting beat up. There's a psychological trigger here somewhere. So there's a possibility that some one person out of hundreds or thousands of people may or may not be rude to me in a game. You have that same possibility just going out of the house. What is the trigger here that is unique to role players? Granted it's not all role players, but this fear isn't seen in any other segment of game populations. Countless amounts of time and forum space have been spent the last few months dedicated to the fears of role players. Why? The RP community (which I like btw) will still be able RP on all servers post merge.

Roleplayers have explained the issues to you time and time again, and you constantly act like you don't have any idea what their concerns are. At this point I suspect you're being willfully obtuse, going "But whyyyyy?" over and over and casting aspersions at RPers for having the unmitigated gall to not want an increase in the harassment they already receive on their servers.

The problems have been laid out hundreds of times, in this very thread. Re-read the posts.

Edited by AscendingSky

Roleplayers have explained the issues to you time and time again, and you constantly act like you don't have any idea what their concerns are. At this point I suspect you're being willfully obtuse, going "But whyyyyy?" over and over and casting aspersions at RPers for having the unmitigated gall to not want an increase in the harassment they already receive on their servers.

The problems have been laid out hundreds of times, in this very thread. Re-read the posts.

Some people only care about LFG fodder and seem to think that server merges are going to be a magical panacea for their "unbearably long queue times of over 5 minutes".

Concerns of others mean nothing to them, as long as they get what they think they want.

Thank you Eric!

I am all for mergers because I believe keeping dead servers active does more harm than good. Players who return to, or roll on, those dead servers, are faced with the illusion that SWTOR is a dead game...which it is not.

There are a few primary concerns:

• Guild assets

• RP servers

• Names

Guild assets should be handled in advance of any merger by Bioware, on a case by case basic. Guild ships and guild strongholds would need to be unlocked on a new server and special help in reforming guilds should happen. Any merger needs to be as smooth as possible and guilds are one of the most important assets of this game.

RP server either need to continue to exist, or they need to have special accommodations in a merged scenario.

Name purge prior to any transfers and moving high population servers to the lower pop ones is what I would expect. That doesn't negate naming issues, but it does help.

One additional thing I would like, with or without a merger, is an expansion of the /ignore list. The current limit is too low and I believe it needs to be higher.

We do not a limitless ignore, most people in chat are should be banned as it is.

But don't let TUX be able to ignore me, i like herrassing him, then again he probably already put me on ignore lol:p

j/k

You have me confused with someone else. Re-read my posts in this thread.

Edited by kodrac

Some people only care about LFG fodder and seem to think that server merges are going to be a magical panacea for their "unbearably long queue times of over 5 minutes".

Concerns of others mean nothing to them, as long as they get what they think they want.

You do too.

I used the pug as an example of one of the jerks I could describe without getting into the sickos and racists - there are no "safe" servers was my point. Conduct should adhere to ToS no matter the server and has nothing to do with merges.

But right now, BW does not do enough to enforce ToS, so Rpers (and anyone who just wants to play and be left in peace)'s best defense has been to cluster on the friendlier or less crowded servers. Now that option is being removed and there is no indication BW has any intention of doing more to combat in game harassment, much less the garbage and sickos that pop up in general chat. Hence, apprehension.

We do not a limitless ignore, most people in chat are should be banned as it is.

But don't let TUX be able to ignore me, i like herrassing him, then again he probably already put me on ignore lol:p

j/k

It's ok...I took you off to add another credit spammer ;)

Actually, this is a good point. I'd REALLY like to see the ignore list at least double in size...there's no good reason it shouldn't be increased.

Honestly my only concern is losing my name. I've been Zaphkiel since day one of early access of this game and even first gained it as a Mayfly on the forums pre-release. To lose it to some newer player just because I don't bother with endgame stuff and only really play him for the story, on the rare occasions Bioware actually gives us a new chapter, would be a permanent deal breaker for me. Edited by Zaphkiel

It's ok...I took you off to add another credit spammer ;)

Actually, this is a good point. I'd REALLY like to see the ignore list at least double in size...there's no good reason it shouldn't be increased.

Not only does it need to be increased, but it also needs to be based on legacy rather than character name. Right now anyone who wants to harass someone can just alt hop endlessly to get around /ignore. EA does nothing about this, no matter how often you report people. And then you end up filling up your /ignore list with the 50+ alts attached to one player's legacy.

Not only does it need to be increased, but it also needs to be based on legacy rather than character name. Right now anyone who wants to harass someone can just alt hop endlessly to get around /ignore. EA does nothing about this, no matter how often you report people. And then you end up filling up your /ignore list with the 50+ alts attached to one player's legacy.

Legacy ignore is the #1 thing they could do if they wanted to stop a lot of the harassment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.