Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

There have been a few others who have said they will leave if mergers happen. I’m genuinely interested in how many of you have now decided to do just that after the announcement. And how many of you have changed your minds and are going to give the new servers a chance?
In another thread I wrote I was willing to give this thing a chance, but now at least three of my friends are leaving the game, I will let my subscription run out and not renew. After that I will keep an eye on the forums to see how the Star Forge turns out.

My expectation is that very soon the complaints about queue times being too long will come back and the usual suspects will start writing that the game is dying again. I maybe be proven wrong of course, and I hope I am for the sake of SWTOR. If I read mainly positive experiences with the Star Forge I may come back at a later date. For now I have found a new story driven shared world game, although this is not as good as the original SWTOR.

That said, I do understand BW's decisions and don't blame them for anything. It's clear that they had to do something. However, the removal of Ebon Hawk, for me personally, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is the more advanced legacy will be the one you will get. If you start a new one now or have another below the first ones legacy lvl, it will be over written by the one with the highest legacy lvl.

And what happens when you have multiples that are all at max legacy level?

It is disappointing that they did not resolve issues surrounding RP

I don't RP myself, however with that said.

I'm actually surprised that BioWare didn't go with specific RP instances, with specific RP chat, tied to a RP flag for guilds so only those in a RP guild can enter the instances directly. It doesn't quite solve how someone would join a RP guild initially, although that could be overcome by other means (for example having a redesigned guild interface and application / recruitment / advertisement process in-game within that interface).

It does feel like the RP players are being thrown to the wolves. I know we can make specific chat channels etc and filter out most of the noise, but it doesn't address quite a few of the other glaring issues that would break the immersion for those players specifically.

I really do think BioWare should be looking into resolving these problems for this part of our community.

Hot Prospect was a Calipsan 560 mining ship, which was used by Zayne Carrick and his crew after the Vindication.

When Marn Hierogryph sent Slyssk to buy a new ship for the group, the latter became confused as he had never bought a starship before - only "borrowed" them. The saleslady whom Slyssk met with tricked him, saying that the Hot Prospect was a "gem" of a ship, when it was actually a gem miner. As a result Slyssk choose to buy the Calipsan mining ship, which looked equally ugly both inside and outside. Gryph had Slyssk spend the rest of his life debt cleaning it up.

Later Jarael and Rohlan used the ship while traveling to Metellos 3. When Zayne finally caught up with his friends, Gryph introduced the ship to the former Jedi, to Carrick's great surprise and perplexity. The ship was later used to ferry the group to the Chancellor Fillorean, Pantolomin, Wor Tandell and, finally, the Koornacht Cluster, where it fought in a space battle against the Gladiator.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hot_Prospect

Well if I look at how the ship looks... it comes close to how the Harbinger looks XD no offense of course, just a friendly joke here

Well if I look at how the ship looks... it comes close to how the Harbinger looks XD no offense of course, just a friendly joke here

No offense since I don't have any characters on Harbinger. All mine are on Ebon Hawk or shall I say Star Forge.

And what happens when you have multiples that are all at max legacy level?

According to the live stream, the one it picks could be random. I think we are still waiting for some clarification on that. Some of us in another thread have asked them if they could just have a pop up to let us choose which one.

The way I understand it, it is only the name you have to worry about. I think the all the data from the legacies are merged into one, so if you have achievements in one and not the other, you will not lose them. I could be wrong, it’s probably best to see if you can find anything concrete.

Oh yeah, someone get the duck tape. Personally, I hope I don't have to figure out too many new names.

Imagine if you had 50 Alts on each server that all had different names and when you merged, you found out you had to rename them all 😳

Not that, that would happen... hopefully

Edited by Totemdancer

I don't RP myself, however with that said.

I'm actually surprised that BioWare didn't go with specific RP instances, with specific RP chat, tied to a RP flag for guilds so only those in a RP guild can enter the instances directly. It doesn't quite solve how someone would join a RP guild initially, although that could be overcome by other means (for example having a redesigned guild interface and application / recruitment / advertisement process in-game within that interface).

It does feel like the RP players are being thrown to the wolves. I know we can make specific chat channels etc and filter out most of the noise, but it doesn't address quite a few of the other glaring issues that would break the immersion for those players specifically.

I really do think BioWare should be looking into resolving these problems for this part of our community.

I don’t know wether Keith does any RP or not, but if he does, he may have witnessed what I have over the last 2 years. Which is less and less griefing of RP people, even on Harbinger. I mentioned in another thread that it’s been so long that I can remember exactly when I got griefed last. So if his experiences are similar to mine, he might not see the urgent need to go down that path.

On the stream, they did say they were going to keep an eye on it and see how it is. My concern is all this talk from some of the RP community about griefing and trolling is just putting targets on our back. I’m hoping that won’t be the case and I hope this talk dies down so people forget all about the idea of griefing RP. If not, we will see an artificial influx of it that probably wouldnt have happened if people didn’t keep worrying about it all over the forums.

Sorry, one more post.

Through out this thread there have been a few people who have agued vehemently against mergers because it affects people choices. If people’s choices are such a major concern to you, why aren’t you making a thread about giving people the choice of where they get merged to? I’ve noticed you are all inconspicuously quiet.

There have been a few others who have said they will leave if mergers happen. I’m genuinely interested in how many of you have now decided to do just that after the announcement. And how many of you have changed your minds and are going to give the new servers a chance?

Lastly, I’ve been speaking to my friends, guildies and my partner, who have all left the game. All my friends and partner will be resubbing again for the merge so they don’t lose their names, but also to give the game another go with the new content and the other new changes. A lot of my guild has expressed their desire to return also to see how things go.

That is 30-50 people returning to the game based on this merger announcement and road map.

After 2 long years, I have returned...

I would say we, but my fiancée kept her sub so we didn't lose the guild. She finally got sick of it and canceled her sub and told everyone she was going to kick them from the guild this weekend when her sub expires.

I seen the server merge announcement, looked at her and said, "If I known that all it took was you canceling your sub to get Bioware to merge Jung Ma, I would have told you to do it 2 years ago!"

I don’t know wether Keith does any RP or not, but if he does, he may have witnessed what I have over the last 2 years. Which is less and less griefing of RP people, even on Harbinger. I mentioned in another thread that it’s been so long that I can remember exactly when I got griefed last. So if his experiences are similar to mine, he might not see the urgent need to go down that path.

I think this is completely at odds with reality and does not conform with common sense. Harb is incredibly toxic, especially on the imperial fleet and Dromund Kaas. People get griefed just for playing the game, so how could people who role play possibly not be trolled?

I think this is completely at odds with reality and does not conform with common sense. Harb is incredibly toxic, especially on the imperial fleet and Dromund Kaas. People get griefed just for playing the game, so how could people who role play possibly not be trolled?

Please define griefing and trolling RPers from your perspective because I think you and I have different ideas on what they mean.

Edited by Totemdancer

RPers can be just as trollish. Just getting your mail on Ord Mantell can result in some pretty foul mouthed /whispers. "I'm reporting you for ruining my RP!!". Does it affect me though? No. Generally I like RPers. For the most part they keep to themselves, they're usually pretty creative, they don't have mushmouth names, generally well dressed characters, overall nice folks. But they can be just as vile as elitist PvEers or whiny PvPers (no offense intended, I'm both ;) ). It all depends on the individual. RPers also belong to either PvE or PvP or both categories. I think BW should prioritize content regardless of RP and give people (all people, not just RPers) the proper tools for a safe environment. The forums are regulated far more than the actual game.

Please define griefing and trolling RPers from your perspective because I think you and I have different ideas on what they mean.

I'll make up an example.

Fictional RP'er on Imp Side Fleet on Harb: The traitors on Dromund Kaas must be wiped out. The Sith Order does not tolerate insurrectionists on our capital world. The council has decreed that they must perish.

Fictional troll: Oh yeah and did your mommy clean your stinky underwear, Sith Lord? Why don't you go take a bath and get a job first before trying to save the universe?

Fictional troll 2: I'll bet the girls are just beating down this guy's door down. Sad. #getalifenerd

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

I'll make up an example.

Fictional RP'er on Imp Side Fleet on Harb: The traitors on Dromund Kaas must be wiped out. The Sith Order does not tolerate insurrectionists on our capital world. The council has decreed that they must perish.

Fictional troll: Oh yeah and did your mommy clean your stinky underwear, Sith Lord? Why don't you go take a bath and get a job first before trying to save the universe?

Fictional troll 2: I'll bet the girls are just beating down this guy's door down. Sad. #getalifenerd

So, not griefing, just chats trolls?

You do know there is a built in ignore function in the game. Once you take the trolls power away, they revert to the impotent people they are in RL.

RPers can be just as trollish. Just getting your mail on Ord Mantell can result in some pretty foul mouthed /whispers. "I'm reporting you for ruining my RP!!". Does it affect me though? No. Generally I like RPers. For the most part they keep to themselves, they're usually pretty creative, they don't have mushmouth names, generally well dressed characters, overall nice folks. But they can be just as vile as elitist PvEers or whiny PvPers (no offense intended, I'm both ;) ). It all depends on the individual. RPers also belong to either PvE or PvP or both categories. I think BW should prioritize content regardless of RP and give people (all people, not just RPers) the proper tools for a safe environment. The forums are regulated far more than the actual game.

If that is the case (which I doubt) then all the more reason to allow RP'ers to be separate from regular PvE'rs. In the long run, it seems to me that RP'ers face the higher cost of trolling, since their day to day activity depends on not being trolled, whereas for a regular PVE'r there is no constant exposure to trolling for his day to day activity. The regular PVE'r does not have to expose himself to trolling constantly, but the RP'er does.

With specific regard to Harb, I've never seen any RP trolls, just regular trolls who are rife on the fleet and offend for the sake of giving offense. RP'ers would just be easy targets.

New content is not the issue.

You do know there is a built in ignore function in the game. Once you take the trolls power away, they revert to the impotent people they are in RL.

Chat trolls ARE griefers and bullies.

While ignore is an option, ignore lists are limited in size.

BW should address the issues surrounding griefers and trolls and that includes "chat trolls", not just those bullying RP'ers, but ALL chat trolls.

One example of trolling does not preclude another type from existing as well. Shouldn't be too difficult for you to grasp that.

You do know there is a built in ignore function in the game.

No crap, what other brilliant insights do you have? That you can walk and chew gum at the same time? Ignoring doesn't begin to address the problem.

Once you take the trolls power away, they revert to the impotent people they are in RL.

Multiple characters from both the trolled and the trolls, multiple trolls, their power doesn't get taken away.

Chat trolls ARE griefers and bullies.

While ignore is an option, ignore lists are limited in size.

BW should address the issues surrounding griefers and trolls and that includes "chat trolls", not just those bullying RP'ers, but ALL chat trolls.

Griefers are people who get into the middle of your role play and prevent you from doing it. Chat trolls are idiots you put out with the trash and never hear from again.

Yes the ignore lists needs to be longer.

It should also be account wide and it should put the account on ignore, not just the characters they are on.

You are right that trolls and griefers are bullies and Bioware should do something about them. But there are also plenty of steps people can take to isolate themselves from them.

When we RP, we use a custom channel we create. If we do use general chat we already have 90% of the chat trolls on ignore.

If you get a griefer who is physically interfering with your activities, you can report them and they are reprimanded and repeat offenders are banned. My guild has done this in the past to great affect.

The worst thing you can do is respond to them because all that does is fuel their excitement.

I understand the dilemma that BW faces with merging. Where do you draw your line, keep timezones together, or playstyle?

One suggestion I have, and I think BW needs to take it seriously, is to offer BC players the option to transfer all of their characters without using cartel market to EH or Star Forge, whichever. I think that's only fair, to be honest. The playstyles between BC and Harb are just not the same and people deserve the choice. IMO.

One example of trolling does not preclude another type from existing as well. Shouldn't be too difficult for you to grasp that.

No crap, what other brilliant insights do you have? That you can walk and chew gum at the same time? Ignoring doesn't begin to address the problem.

Multiple characters from both the trolled and the trolls, multiple trolls, their power doesn't get taken away.

You seem to misunderstand the difference between griefing and chat trolls.

If you have problems with chat trolls, use ignore, I’m not even sure why that’s an issue for you.

So you pick up a chat troll while RPing, make it part of the RP, “warning, alarms go off, unauthorised intruder, initiate security measures, open air lock and eject waste” right click, ignore, crisis averted.

If you get someone who jumps Alts to chat troll you, report them. You know that’s not limited to RPers. It happens more in pvp than any other part of the game, even happens more in OPs.

I’ve seen people play the alt hop game to troll people when they get put on ignore. They only have so many Alts to do it on and the more they switch, the more damning the evidence is when you report them, I know someone who got 3 month bans the first time they did it because they used about 15 Alts to troll hop. That wasn’t even RP, it was pvp.

As I said in one of my other posts, there are ways to avoid them all together. Start a custom channel for you and your friends. If you pick up a chat troll, use ignore.

Griefers are people who get into the middle of your role play and prevent you from doing it. Chat trolls are idiots you put out with the trash and never hear from again.

Yes the ignore lists needs to be longer.

It should also be account wide and it should put the account on ignore, not just the characters they are on.

You are right that trolls and griefers are bullies and Bioware should do something about them. But there are also plenty of steps people can take to isolate themselves from them.

When we RP, we use a custom channel we create. If we do use general chat we already have 90% of the chat trolls on ignore.

If you get a griefer who is physically interfering with your activities, you can report them and they are reprimanded and repeat offenders are banned. My guild has done this in the past to great affect.

The worst thing you can do is respond to them because all that does is fuel their excitement.

IMO, both are griefing, although they use different means to grief.

You may not consider trolling chat to be griefing, but it usually done to get a rise out of other players, and often is done to attack another player, both of which throw it into the griefing and bullying category, IMO.

I realize that our opinions differ on this. I do not support or condone bullying, even tacitly by "ignoring it".

IMO, both are griefing, although they use different means to grief.

You may not consider trolling chat to be griefing, but it usually done to get a rise out of other players, and often is done to attack another player, both of which throw it into the griefing and bullying category, IMO.

I realize that our opinions differ on this. I do not support or condone bullying, even tacitly by "ignoring it".

Yeah, we seem to have different definitions. In all the social games I’ve played, griefing was always referred to as interrupting someone’s game play, not chat trolling.

Troll is usually the generic term people use when they don’t know the difference. It’s the same when people call people hackers for cheating when they aren’t hacking, just cheating in another manner.

I think it’s important to point out the difference and use the right terminology because the word troll instills fear into some people. When you show the difference and explain how you can use a common sense approach to limit exposure to them, the perception changes from fear to annoyance and even pity.

Ignoring them isn’t condoning bullying, if anything you are making the troll impotent and ruining their fun more than them ruining yours. If you engage the troll with out rage out of a moral sense of duty, all you are doing is falling into their trap and they get the power over you. Ruining their fun is the best justice,

It’s better to just use ignore and let them and watch them slink away.

Edited by Totemdancer

Bioware has been very lax in dealing with these people. They need to take a very hard line up to and including permanent bans for repeat offenders. The penalties need to be harsh and public to dissuade people from doing it. It would be nice if Bioware could afford to have a CS representative online in random places throughout the day and empowered to immediately ban people for unacceptable behavior. The onus should not be on the one being abused to "fix" the situation

Edited by DWho

Bioware has been very lax in dealing with these people. They need to take a very hard line up to and including permanent bans for repeat offenders. The penalties need to be harsh and public to dissuade people from doing it. It would be nice if Bioware could afford to have a CS representative online in random places throughout the day and empowered to immediately ban people for unacceptable behavior. The onus should not be on the one being abused to "fix" the situation

I agree 100%.

But People can still use those very simple steps to try and avoid the situation because it doesn’t look like Bioware are going to change their policy or monitoring of it anytime soon.

We still have police in the RW, but that doesn’t stop crime. I’m glad we have cops, but I certainly don’t rely on them for my everyday safety. I use common sense and steps to avoid putting my self in risky situations.

People can either be victims and not protect themselves or they can protect themselves and try and avoid it.

Think of it like wearing a seatbelt. I shouldn’t need the seatbelt if myself and everyone else drives properly and I’ve got more airbags in the car than a sale on blow up dolls. But I still put it on because it’s a prudent measure just in case something does happen.