Galactic Command Gearing Roadmap - Coming This Week

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

In one of my previous posts I highlighted that beyond the changes we made in Game Update 5.1 that there are more coming. By Friday of this week I am going to make a forum post highlighting a roadmap of changes you can expect to address the feedback you have raised around gearing in Galactic Command. These changes will be starting in the next few weeks and will go through to Game Update 5.2. They are intended to address the following:

• Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).
  • Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components and Unassembled Pieces.
  • Make gearing more alt-friendly.

That isn't a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of some of the things we are looking to address based on your feedback. Just in case I was quiet about Galactic Command for a few days I want you to know that we are listening and more changes are coming. Look for my post later this week!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not bring back the old system, that worked perfectly and enabled quick gearing for both mains and alts at ones own pace? Feels like there are quite enough bugs to keep you guys busy for a while, no need to spend this much time on developing a new gearing system and subsequently having to use resources to fix it every month.

Why not bring back the old system, that worked perfectly and enabled quick gearing for both mains and alts at ones own pace? Feels like there are quite enough bugs to keep you guys busy for a while, no need to spend this much time on developing a new gearing system and subsequently having to use resources to fix it every month.

Truth! There was nothing wrong with the old system. If there was a problem with gearing to quickly in the old system, just raise the price. Not hard at all...

The new GC system would have been fine as a supplement to the old system to give people opportunity to get gear without having to PVP or do Ops, but the new RNG system is horrid.

• Dev Post
I thought that was the goal of 5.1? :confused:

The goal of 5.1 was to give a method for people to supplement Galactic Command so that aside from Command Crates, they could work towards a specific piece of gear. We did that through introducing Unassembled Pieces and Unassembled Tokens. We also added the start of some help for Legacies with Command Tokens as a Legacy Currency and the Legacy Perks.

5.1 was just the start of the changes though, and my post above was to let you know when to expect more specifics!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Eric,

please tell the guy in charge that i only pvp and i would like to gear my ALTS SOME DAY!!! And my main !

I mean serious.

P.S. I have already unsubbed btw,if what i read this week doesnt seem like a legit way to gear up then thats it for me.

Playing since early access 18 Dec 2011.

Edited by giorgo

The goal of 5.1 was to give a method for people to supplement Galactic Command so that aside from Command Crates, they could work towards a specific piece of gear. We did that through introducing Unassembled Pieces and Unassembled Tokens. We also added the start of some help for Legacies with Command Tokens as a Legacy Currency and the Legacy Perks.

5.1 was just the start of the changes though, and my post above was to let you know when to expect more specifics!

-eric

No offense, but you guys had around two month to figure it out. You still need additional two month to do so?!

Are you guys not monitoring? And if you were, and not satisfied with the results, does it rquire all this time to figure out what should be the "appropriate" rates between GC exp, GC loot tables, UC, etc...?!

If there is a message you can deliver to the devs is next time before they decide to do roll out a significant change they need to to figure out:

What they are doing?

Why they are doing it?

When do they need to do it by?

Clearly, none of the above was known when 5.0 rolled out, or appropriately considered in 5.1. This is why the system is fail, and you need 4 month to patch it. You fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Edited by Ottoattack

Eric,

Is anyone at BioWare Austin going to admit Galactic Command was a failure, before the game totally tanks? Is anyone going to actually address the issues that have been pointed out since the PTS, i.e. that your paying customers do not want Galactic Command and it's RNG to be the end game gearing method?

You keep saying the BW hears us. But then what you tell us we said isn't what we told you. Is anyone at BW going to actually respond ot what we've told you rather than what someone at BW wanted to hear?

Until these issues are addressed, there will continue to be large numbers of people leaving the game due to utter frustration with the system and with BW. Eric, as community manager, I expect you are well aware of this and stuck saying what you are told to say. Please, try to impress on people who make decisions that continuing to double down on a bad bet does not lead to success, it just leads to further losses. It would be good if BW's approach changes before your post the end of the week.

Hey folks,

In one of my previous posts I highlighted that beyond the changes we made in Game Update 5.1 that there are more coming. By Friday of this week I am going to make a forum post highlighting a roadmap of changes you can expect to address the feedback you have raised around gearing in Galactic Command. These changes will be starting in the next few weeks and will go through to Game Update 5.2. They are intended to address the following:

• Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).
  • Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components and Unassembled Pieces.

That isn't a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of some of the things we are looking to address based on your feedback. Just in case I was quiet about Galactic Command for a few days I want you to know that we are listening and more changes are coming. Look for my post later this week!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I'll be honest, this was at least half of my list (and many others) who pulled the plug on subs over the last week or two. It's good to hear, but implementation is what a lot of us are actually waiting to see. As it sits, it all just seems like more talk and less doing.

I mean in the short term this could be fixed to a point. If you know what the average time it takes to get a crate is right now (say it's 2 hours just for figuring), and you want it to be 30 minutes average. Give every thing a 4x multiplier (or reduce command ranks by factor of 4) and then work thru the changes. It won't solve every persons gains, but it would help a great deal at this point.

I know long term changes can take time, but something in the meantime until we get a good fix would help. You may even find that your temporary fix could be all you needed. Granted it could go horribly wrong, but at this point (at least from the outside looking in), what have you got to lose?

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

So we have to wait till March or April with 5..2 Since this is what you all said would be the time when 5.2 drop on your stream nothing like waiting 2 month really? throw in the word a couple weeks on a road map and wait till march as a stall tactic?

Edited by Neoforcer

I wish I could, at least once in my lifetime, see MMO devs say 'Sorry guys, we ****ed up. We apologize and are reverting our changes.'. I'd probably buy a lifetime subscription if that happens. But yeah, something about a snowball and hell...

I commented about this in another thread, so I'll just link to the details here.

To sum up, the GC system needs to be the supplement to classical gearing, NOT have the PvP/Ops routes suppliment it.

Yes, it's great that this system lets anyone get the best gear... but it still needs to favor - heavily favor - the players who the gear was designed for as opposed to giving them a slight advantage via changes in 5.1.

Alright, looking forward to the roadmap!

Personally, I am hoping that you will give out Unassembled Components from more things than just PvP. Progression raid groups, who in my opinion need 242 gear most urgently, now are forced to PvP to upgrade their unassembled pieces to 242, since most raid groups cannot just kill all the MM endbosses. Just have components drop from flashpoint/uprising bosses and from weekly quests, then we are back at the 4.0 Data Crystal system but that worked just fine.

Regarding the CXP increase, I hope it will be more than double as stated on the livestream, but we'll see.

What do you mean by "one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average)"? At Tier 3, you need twice as much CXP for a Crate than at Tier 1, and different difficulties reward different CXP, so the Crate acquisition speed doesn't really tell us much.

Edited by Jerba

Thanks for the Update Eric,

Unfortunately, haven't had the opportunity to check out the new Uprisings due to lack of population. Would be nice to have the ability to have multiple companions like you see at the later chapters of KOTET.

What they are doing?

Why they are doing it?

When do they need to do it by?

Clearly, none of the above was known when 5.0 rolled out, or appropriately considered in 5.1. This is why the system is fail, and you need 4 month to patch it. You fail to plan, you plan to fail.

I believe here you are mistaken. Ben and his team bet everything on people being willing to grind forever to get gear to do old content so he could release a new op at the end of the year. They lost that bet rather spectacularly. However, like the gambling addict they seem to think their average player is, they keep doubling down on that bad bet.

The design reason for GC is to keep subs grinding for a year. The reason for gating all end game behind the sub wall is to force more people to sub. They promised EA share holders they had a system to keep subs subbed and get more subs.

Obviously, Ben and his management team think they have months to tinker with things without people continuing to leave. The level of hubris there is amazing. The level of absolute managerial incompetence is amazing. They don't have months. They've had 4 since they announced the disaster that is GC. Servers are sitting at Standard just a touch over half as much as last year. Fleet populations are WAY down from 2 months ago. (Shadowlands was at 90 last night when my raid team was looking for a pug. Harbinger looks to be down between 30% and 50% most evenings, although it still is higher than everywhere else.)

Server populations will tell you that GC has failed as a method of keeping people playing. Several streams and a survey will tell you that failed and they don't know what to do about it. Eric, immediate fix is simple to see and BW has the code base. I gave you suggestions here, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=911737 . Unfortunately, BW has now wasted a week of the time I figured they had to start making things right. Other people have suggested similar fixes. Ben and the design team need to swallow their pride and fix the game or there won't be enough people left to make it worth fixing. At the rate they are going there won't be a budget to do even half of what they are down to doing now. How long will EA let that go on before the share holders get tired of seeing SWTOR mentioned as having reduced revenue or less subs or whatever other negative stats will get mentioned?

If we're lucky, EA exec will realize what a mess has been made of things and remove Ben and any other managers in time to save the game. I'm not holding my breath on that one, though.

Could you guys add a button that extracts Command Tokens and disintegrates the create without opening it? Please?

After 40+ creates in a row without any set bonus gear, I cringe when I have to open one. If I don't have to open them anymore, I wont have to keep being disappointed. I only need the tokens from the creates, since I'll be doing ops for my gear.

Edited by Radzkie

Thanks Eric..

I don't care what they call it. They are fixing something that is broken and for that I am thankful. Hopefully the rest of my guild wont quit first.

they claims that of 5.1 too, they want to fix things? the should stop nerfing cxp pay and get rid of the horrid rng int he crates

I wish I could, at least once in my lifetime, see MMO devs say 'Sorry guys, we ****ed up. We apologize and are reverting our changes.'. I'd probably buy a lifetime subscription if that happens. But yeah, something about a snowball and hell...

Amen. I'd love to see it, too. It'll never happen, not in this game. They could take a big lesson from FFXIV on how to handle a total screw up. (But then FFXIV fired their producer and got a new one to save it.)