Galactic Command Gearing Roadmap - Coming This Week

EricMusco

Hey folks,

In one of my previous posts I highlighted that beyond the changes we made in Game Update 5.1 that there are more coming. By Friday of this week I am going to make a forum post highlighting a roadmap of changes you can expect to address the feedback you have raised around gearing in Galactic Command. These changes will be starting in the next few weeks and will go through to Game Update 5.2. They are intended to address the following:

• Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).
  • Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components and Unassembled Pieces.
  • Make gearing more alt-friendly.

That isn't a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of some of the things we are looking to address based on your feedback. Just in case I was quiet about Galactic Command for a few days I want you to know that we are listening and more changes are coming. Look for my post later this week!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I've got an idea how to make the whole system much much more alt friendly. One of the biggest concerns currently, is that why trade in those components one had to earn through 3-8 hours of work by dying continuously either in WZ or in GSF, only to get that same item from the next command crate. Yes, we can upgrade Tier 1 purples and Tier 2 legendaries, but what about Tier 3 legendaries? Why should those double/multiply unnecessarily only to end up being vendor trashed? Introduce the same turn-in option for Tier 3 items, as well. Lets say, we can trade in a complete legendary item (without mods removed, as it would open this up for exploits) for either some components, or only with that other legacy bound not-so-confusing I don't-even-know-it's-name currency. This would help tremendously against RNG screwing up that 25 hours of work someone would have to put into 1 item from Tier 1 to Tier 3 upgrading only to have it duplicate right away....

Also, why components cannot be legacy bound? It's not like one character with higher Tier rank earns more components than the lesser ranked character, distracting any kind of balance (whatever that means, right?). This would be another thing helping out alts and providing an alternative to the completely gearless alt character to suffer through 25 hours of PvP only for 1 item out of the 14 that they'd need.

(Also, whatever happened to ANYTHING useful dropping from command crates? Haven't had a single item upgrade over the last 150 ranks (and I only have 3 legendaries after reaching around rank 400), and did not receive a damn boots slot set bonus since Rank 0...)

Edited by Augustus

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you guys add a button that extracts Command Tokens and disintegrates the create without opening it? Please?

After 40+ creates in a row without any set bonus gear, I cringe when I have to open one. If I don't have to open them anymore, I wont have to keep being disappointed. I only need the tokens from the creates, since I'll be doing ops for my gear.

I'd like an undo button that worked both ways... I've accidentally disintegrated items I meant to pull and pulled items (inc a BIG stack of freaking jawa junk - which was an awesome way to gain a lvl when winning until I pulled like 200 at once) that were slated for disintegration.

The pulled out stuff should at least have a timer, and if vendored before it runs out goes back into the crate.

Eric,

Is anyone at BioWare Austin going to admit Galactic Command was a failure, before the game totally tanks? Is anyone going to actually address the issues that have been pointed out since the PTS, i.e. that your paying customers do not want Galactic Command and it's RNG to be the end game gearing method?

You keep saying the BW hears us. But then what you tell us we said isn't what we told you. Is anyone at BW going to actually respond ot what we've told you rather than what someone at BW wanted to hear?

Until these issues are addressed, there will continue to be large numbers of people leaving the game due to utter frustration with the system and with BW. Eric, as community manager, I expect you are well aware of this and stuck saying what you are told to say. Please, try to impress on people who make decisions that continuing to double down on a bad bet does not lead to success, it just leads to further losses. It would be good if BW's approach changes before your post the end of the week.

This is exactly what I had to say as well. We don't need more vague 'roadmaps' about minor tweaks to the system and promises things will get better in one month, two months, etc. We don't need minor tweaks; we need a complete damn overhaul, if not an outright removal of Galactic Command from the game. It's terrible, players hate it, and numerous subscriptions are being canceled over it.

Edited by AscendingSky

Hey folks,

In one of my previous posts I highlighted that beyond the changes we made in Game Update 5.1 that there are more coming. By Friday of this week I am going to make a forum post highlighting a roadmap of changes you can expect to address the feedback you have raised around gearing in Galactic Command. These changes will be starting in the next few weeks and will go through to Game Update 5.2. They are intended to address the following:

• Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).
  • Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components and Unassembled Pieces.
  • Make gearing more alt-friendly.

That isn't a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of some of the things we are looking to address based on your feedback. Just in case I was quiet about Galactic Command for a few days I want you to know that we are listening and more changes are coming. Look for my post later this week!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Hi Eric,

I'm not some fancy game developer but these changes would seem to encourage players to not play the game until they're implemented. For example, if someone said to me there was an expected price drop in something I'm looking to buy in a month then I'd probably just not buy it for a month.

Now I've never developed an mmo so excuse me if I'm oversimplifying things here but why on earth would a player not just unsub and then resub when you finally get around to fixing this clearly broken from implementation system?

I've never managed a shoe shop so maybe I'm missing the instant "keep paying money for the game" part of this post but all I read is:

1: Stop playing the game for now, do something else! We'll reward your time far better soon

2: Please stop PvPing! If you do it in a month you'll get much greater rewards - And for the love of God don't buy anything for the next 6 weeks

3: You know those alts we massively encouraged to level for 12x XP and DvL? Well leave them on the shelf for a while longer and perhaps we'll help them.

Any chance you could possibly address these pretty gosh darn valid concerns?

The goal of 5.1 was to give a method for people to supplement Galactic Command so that aside from Command Crates, they could work towards a specific piece of gear. We did that through introducing Unassembled Pieces and Unassembled Tokens. We also added the start of some help for Legacies with Command Tokens as a Legacy Currency and the Legacy Perks.

5.1 was just the start of the changes though, and my post above was to let you know when to expect more specifics!

-eric

Nice to see you are listening then. A crate every half hour is pretty good but also pretty hard to balance ( for BWA ) when you look at the likes of operations that you have to take wipes into consideration for. Also this along with PVP are the areas of the game you ideally actually need the gear.

I would think if that's your goal would it not be best then to just put guaranteed drops ( that we roll for ) back on bosses? Operations can be anywhere from 1-3 hours and when you take the chances of winning the roll ( 2 pieces per boss on 8 person ) it balances out within this time frame you are aiming for - minus the RNG on getting a set piece of course.

Failing that could you not implement a means of a guaranteed GC level bump per boss? This would stop you needing to work on balancing CXP for operations and still keeps Ben's beloved GC/RNG factor involved ( i.e. we still get RNG on the crate ) - plus just keeping the bosses drops as they are now.

That would be fair compromise me thinks since it's tough to balance content that some groups can do much faster than others.

Hi Eric,

I'm not some fancy game developer but these changes would seem to encourage players to not play the game until they're implemented. For example, if someone said to me there was an expected price drop in something I'm looking to buy in a month then I'd probably just not buy it for a month.

Now I've never developed an mmo so excuse me if I'm oversimplifying things here but why on earth would a player not just unsub and then resub when you finally get around to fixing this clearly broken from implementation system?

I've never managed a shoe shop so maybe I'm missing the instant "keep paying money for the game" part of this post but all I read is:

1: Stop playing the game for now, do something else! We'll reward your time far better soon

2: Please stop PvPing! If you do it in a month you'll get much greater rewards - And for the love of God don't buy anything for the next 6 weeks

3: You know those alts we massively encouraged to level for 12x XP and DvL? Well leave them on the shelf for a while longer and perhaps we'll help them.

Your whole post almost implies you only play the game for gearing as opposed to say, oh I don't know ... having fun?

Also you could almost apply your logic to anytime they announce anything upcoming ... "Don't bother playing the old content now, we've got new content coming in a few months".

As I said during your stream today, my sub ran out and there's no reason for me to renew it anytime soon. I'm a raider and the new op will be totally released by the end of the year, the gearing system is not thrilling nor fun but frustrating. By the end of the year when the op will be released, the mess this gearing system is will more or less be sorted out (scrapping it would do the job totally, but for whatever reason you devs at Bioware don't want to admit you made a mistake, which is human). Anyway, not coming back for a few month then.

I believe here you are mistaken. Ben and his team bet everything on people being willing to grind forever to get gear to do old content so he could release a new op at the end of the year. They lost that bet rather spectacularly. However, like the gambling addict they seem to think their average player is, they keep doubling down on that bad bet.

The design reason for GC is to keep subs grinding for a year. The reason for gating all end game behind the sub wall is to force more people to sub. They promised EA share holders they had a system to keep subs subbed and get more subs.

Obviously, Ben and his management team think they have months to tinker with things without people continuing to leave. The level of hubris there is amazing. The level of absolute managerial incompetence is amazing. They don't have months. They've had 4 since they announced the disaster that is GC. Servers are sitting at Standard just a touch over half as much as last year. Fleet populations are WAY down from 2 months ago. (Shadowlands was at 90 last night when my raid team was looking for a pug. Harbinger looks to be down between 30% and 50% most evenings, although it still is higher than everywhere else.)

Server populations will tell you that GC has failed as a method of keeping people playing. Several streams and a survey will tell you that failed and they don't know what to do about it. Eric, immediate fix is simple to see and BW has the code base. I gave you suggestions here, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=911737 . Unfortunately, BW has now wasted a week of the time I figured they had to start making things right. Other people have suggested similar fixes. Ben and the design team need to swallow their pride and fix the game or there won't be enough people left to make it worth fixing. At the rate they are going there won't be a budget to do even half of what they are down to doing now. How long will EA let that go on before the share holders get tired of seeing SWTOR mentioned as having reduced revenue or less subs or whatever other negative stats will get mentioned?

If we're lucky, EA exec will realize what a mess has been made of things and remove Ben and any other managers in time to save the game. I'm not holding my breath on that one, though.

I agree with you, but if that was the goal the gating system was not measured at all.

I will take myself as an example, I was planning to sub 2-3 month, however:

1) I want to play a sentinel in PvP (and have not in 3.0 and 4.0), after hitting GC 42, I only had 1 set bonus and I used the one UC piece from PvP to buy a relic cuz 2 set bonus is crap. I guess I played between 100-120 WZs in 4 weeks span, which is too much to begin with, I still have nothing.

2) I was considering of doing the same for a Sin, but I have the same issue as before.

3) GC was pretty generous on my main, PT, and managed 4 set pieces, but I was already in full 208..

I do play a lot. Not too much, but at around 15 hours a week. If in that time span I cannot gear appropriately then what I am supposed to do?! If there was enough amount of new content, then maybe I would have tolerated the grind, but there is not. So, I am supposed to continue grinding old content with no path to gear? It does not require a genius to note that this is a no go. My sub ran out yesterday, and the only reason I can still post is cuz last time I logged on this device I was a sub. I surely do not plan to wait or renew sub.

My suspicion is that subs have cratered already, and they are simply desperate to stop the bleeding any way they can. That doesn't make your points any less valid, but it may explain why they are willing to risk further drop-off by announcing their "price reductions." It's a "choose-the-lesser-evil" situation.

The goal of 5.1 was to give a method for people to supplement Galactic Command so that aside from Command Crates, they could work towards a specific piece of gear. We did that through introducing Unassembled Pieces and Unassembled Tokens. We also added the start of some help for Legacies with Command Tokens as a Legacy Currency and the Legacy Perks.

5.1 was just the start of the changes though, and my post above was to let you know when to expect more specifics!

-eric

Eric, I realize you have to say what you're told to say, however, this is about as close to a lie as you can get. 5.1 did nothing to help alts. Nothing, zip, zero. It's nice talk, but it did nothing to help the grind and every dev who worked on it knows it. It was an attempt at damage control, that's all. Just PR. The time to get gear via PVP is longer than the grind to GC 300. The drop rate in Ops is stupidly low, and designed to be that way. In spite of months of customer feedback saying the game was on the wrong track, that we wanted gearing similar to 3.0 and 4.0, BW has continued to go down the RNG for end game gear route in the failed hope that subs will keep subbing and chasing that magic payout. If BW was proud of how the system worked, they'd publish the odds of getting the gear piece you need from a given crate. If BW was proud of the system you wouldn't still be changing it and hoping subs will stop leaving.

Your "ability to work towards a specific piece of gear" is a joke, too. Go back and do the math on how long it will take a group to get everyone that piece of gear, assuming they can down the one and only boss dropping it. Or, go back and read the posts, the math for both PVE and PVP has been posted more than once.

We all know that if 5.1 had made a major dent in the loss of subs, you wouldn't be posting today that there will be more changes "soon". We all know that if anyone actually believe trickling out Ops bosses over a year was going to keep subs you wouldn't be announcing more changes "soon".

Right now the game sucks. That's all there is to it. It's a horrendous grind with absolutely no end in sight, no matter how fast you say we'll get boxes. Most of us are smart enough to realize that BW will just reduce the drop rate of the gear to compensate for the increased rate of acquiring boxes. So, if the odds are now 1.50 that we get some sort of set piece and BW increases the drop rate on boxes 400%, you'll also reduce the drop rate to 1/200 so the time to actually get gear doesn't decrease. If you decrease the time to get gear you have to admit that GC was a failure and we all know Ben and his team won't ever admit that.

-eric

What is taking so long? How was there no plan in place to address this mess? Surely there was anticipation that this was going to be received in this manner? And there is no way they didnt know people would not be able to gear Alts, Alts that they encourage players to create and play with DvL.

There should be fixes going in this week.

How about new and Returning players, casuals and alts, that didnt get set bonus in 4.0 are still behind by with the gear gap and the percentage for the set bonus in PvP. So not only are they at a disadvantage they also have to deal with the unrewarding RNG, none of it is fun. Why would they keep queuing or subbing.

As Snave has pointed out repeatedly, why is the 230 gear with the set bonus not super easy to get? The gear is literally the entry point like Recruit gear, which mind you was mailed to players at one point. Players shouldnt have to grind for a hundred hours and NOT receive their set bonus on entry level gear. This needs to be addressed now not in a few weeks or 2 months.

Hi Eric,

Sounds to me like you have a good handle on the situation.

Waiting to fix obvious problems for months (like 4 already) isn't a way to keep people playing the game.

My suspicion is that subs have cratered already, and they are simply desperate to stop the bleeding any way they can. That doesn't make your points any less valid, but it may explain why they are willing to risk further drop-off by announcing their "price reductions." It's a "choose-the-lesser-evil" situation.

That's what I think aswell. This post by Eric on top of the piecemeal op is a good indicator

It's too late for saving subs for me (I am done for good come Feb. 14) or my entire guild. The fact that you even dropped the 5.0 GS/RNG System despite overwhelming negative feedback at announcement, during the PTS beta, and after going live has made it so we have all decided it's time to move on. However, I will leave some constructive feedback in hopes of at least giving something to help others who have decided to stay.

1.) A crate every 30 minutes. Forgive me, but you also said pre-5.0 you were shooting for 1 hour of casual play. Casual does not mean that someone should be planning how to maximize CxP to actually get it in an hour. But there is little you can do today to even hit that hour mark. To put it bluntly, if you are shooting for a crate every thirty minutes of casual play, then the maximum the CxP should be is 1,200 per level. That is what someone may get in winning two warzones in a half hour.

2.) You guys still ignore, in every livestream, in 5.1, in the changes already announced in 5.2 and now in this post the elephant in the room with the command crates. The RNG is AWFUL. You get more meaningless stuff than anything else. It is frustrating (not exciting), and it is the number one cause that had the members of my guild decide enough was enough. Even if you make the crates come every thirty minutes. If people are not getting anything useful for 15-20 crates, it is still 5-7 hours of grinding to get one piece of somewhat useful gear. Until you guys address the utter frustration with the RNG currently, speeding up getting that frustration won't do you any good.

Hope this helps. It won't get me or my guild back but at least it may be able to be used to stem some of the bleeding.

Edited by Wayshuba

The sky is starting to open up again!! Thank you for listening!!

Please DO NOT be bashful on increase amount. Please do not slightly increase it. It needs a significant increase to make it alt friendly.

Remember there are a lot of us since the DvsL event that have anywhere from 30-50 alts now. Please be generous with the amount you are raising and increasing returns. I have so many characters that need a set bonus set that I am overwhelmed to the point of not playing.

This is great news. Thank you.

its "FUN" players playing ... but swtor is no fun at all .... "we make the system more easy" -- its more difficult then ever. What i dont understant is just "WHY??". As snave says, i am not in that business- i dont make my money for daily life with mmos - so i realy dont understand how u can survive. Without friends in swtor i found and like / loved ofer the last years i would never ever be a sub again.

For my self i work for my money - ppl have to like my work and buy for it - i dont can to some thing ppl mislike and take money. ok i can do it ONE time - but then i lost customer.

I do play a lot. Not too much, but at around 15 hours a week. If in that time span I cannot gear appropriately then what I am supposed to do?! If there was enough amount of new content, then maybe I would have tolerated the grind, but there is not. So, I am supposed to continue grinding old content with no path to gear? It does not require a genius to note that this is a no go. My sub ran out yesterday, and the only reason I can still post is cuz last time I logged on this device I was a sub. I surely do not plan to wait or renew sub.

Actually, you make my point. BW screwed the pooch when they came up with GC. They aren't willing to admit a horrible mistake a revert to a system that the majority of paying customers were happy with. So, people are leaving. BW miscalculated but Ben and his team aren't willing to publicly stand up and say "We made a mistake, we're sorry, we'll have it fixed next week." If they did that a lot of us would stay or plan to come back after next week. Since they won't, we're all slowly (or not so slowly) leaving.

Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components

Well, I actually wrote about this in a blog post today but I'll reiterate here because it really needs to be fixed ASAP so that your new 'bolster' works. Anyway, here's part of what I wrote:

"Sure bolster as it is in 5.1 would work well if 230 gear was easy to get like 204 gear was really easy to get in 4.0 but it doesn’t. Introducing this change a couple of months after 5.0’s release has completely screwed up the playing field. Changing bolster in 5.1 rewards the players who had the most time to grind Galactic Command and/or the means to get gear crafted giving them a much greater advantage. Players who are more time poor or who chose not grind have been left high and dry with a very slow, grindy way to gear their characters. There is far too much gear disparity in PvP now. Returning players, in particular, are left with a very slow means to catch up gear wise to those who have played since 5.0.

I propose the following changes that should be implemented as quickly as possible:

- Reduce the component cost of Tier 1 (230) gear significantly (like I said above). I would say the cost of Tier 1 gear should be halved at the absolute minimum. That way players can get the entry level gear much quicker creating a more even playing field.

- Increase the amount of Unassembled Components earned for completing all types of PvP content win or loss. I would say doubling the amount of Unassembled Components earned would be a good start."

TLDR significantly reduce the cost of the Tier 1 (230) gear (at least by half if not more) and increase the amount of Unassembled Components rewarded for wins and losses. That way everyone can be on a more even playing field (bolster wise) quicker.

Honestly, you guys shouldn't be waiting around to make this change. You need to make it as soon it can be programmed/implemented or whatever. Don't dawdle around.

I expect you're right and they haven't realized it isn't going to be enough.

Your whole post almost implies you only play the game for gearing as opposed to say, oh I don't know ... having fun?

Also you could almost apply your logic to anytime they announce anything upcoming ... "Don't bother playing the old content now, we've got new content coming in a few months".

I love playing ranked pvp on different characters. It brings me fun.

But I can't have fun when everybody's gear is better than mine, just because I didn't stick to one character, even though I played probably WAY more than an average ranked player.

Snave is 100% accurate here.

I expect you're right and they haven't realized it isn't going to be enough.

No, I think just like dropping this in the first place, BioWare still hasn't learned a single thing from the history of the game. Any player who has been here since launch, or was here at launch then came back, KNOWS this was going to happen. It happened in the 1.0-1.6 era, anyone who thought it would be different this time is an utter idiot.

Secondly, they tried damage control (anyone remember the guild summit?) and the "we are monitoring" things line before. Back then, they thought they had all the time in the world to fix it, they never considered it urgent and just thought people would blindly believe what they said. Well, we know the outcome of those first six months after launch, commonly remembered as the TORtanic days, when the title almost went belly up. At least they had F2P to save them that time. Now, the GC system went one better - it told all the F2P and Preferred players to get lost - so they won't even have them to save it this time.

Now they are between a rock and a hard place. Limited resources that should 100% be focused on adding new content to the game, now have to be split between dripping out some meager amount of new content and a good portion of them have to be dedicated to fixing this trainwreck that they put upon themselves. It's almost as if someone's career with EA is riding on making this system work.

But I guess the dumb customers just didn't know how "exciting" this system is supposed to be, because it is more exciting hitting the cancel button on your game sub than the open crate button on Command Crates.

Edited by Wayshuba

I really hope we're both wrong. I don't want to be right, because I love this game.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But based on what I've seen so far, I am afraid I'm not.

I used to love this game. I would like to again. Right now I get angry every time I get another crate of garbage. It's just not fun anymore, not even a little bit. This RNG garbage was bad enough in the Heroic crates in 4.0. I cussed at it then when I was on my 4 or 5th box with the same item. But at least I was getting items and the gear didn't really matter as I leveled a toon. Now the gear matters and I'm not getting any. *sigh*

Playing for fun is 100% a valid reason to keep playing the game and I would encourage any players who do that to keep doing that.

This post is about changes to the gearing system so I'm assuming they're trying to speak to people who care about the gearing system. I believe my points are very valid and very reasonable.

Hey Eric & Co,

While getting more crates are nice and the supplementary stuff is getting a boost, can we talk about the contents of the crates themselves? While getting more crates are nice it's not fun when your last 20 crates were all green or blue inferior and unoptimzied pieces. It's weird that I have gotten more gear from the supplemtary methods this week Fromm ops (3 pieces) than the last 4 weeks on any toon with GC (1 piece). That is around 40 levels total across toons. If this is the Case why not just save us the hassle and put guarentueed loot back on all Ops bosses? Or failing that make the crates worth more by removing the blue and green gear from them along with terrible relics and left side that doesn't match our stats. Right now when I both my raid teams get a Crate it's just disheartening to get trash and becomes why bother with GC as I get more gear (it's still little compared to any other expac). Gear is our tools for clearing content not fancy ornaments.

TLDR: Guarenteed Drops on all bosses and/or the removal of green and blue gear from GC crates along with other gear junk as I distengrate 90% of my crates.

Edited by FerkWork