Why do people blindly choose LS or DS choices?

Majestic_Jazz

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I am playing as a DS Trooper, but that does not mean that EVERY decision I make is DS as I have made many LS decisions. Hell, I would have been DS4 by now but because of my past LS choices, I am only halfway through DS3. So yeah, I am playing as a DS character but I am giving my character reasons to go DS......he wants to defent the Republic at all cost. Any choice that presents immediately benefit for the Republic, I go with, which most of the time means going DS as a Trooper as the LS Trooper options are more diplomatic and willing to talk things out.

What really irks me is when I group for Flashpoints or Heroics as a Trooper and all 3 of the other players 100% of the time chooses the LS option. Same thing in the beta weekend when I was a Bounty Hunter for the Empire, I would make many LS decisions because my BH operated on a moral code and actually had a conscience. However in every grouped scenario, everyone would 100% choose the DS option.

Is it really that hard to make DS choices as a republic player and LS choices as an Empire player?

It just seems like NO MATTER what the situation is, a Republic player is going to choose the LS option and the Empire player is going to choose the DS option.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably has to do with the fact that some gear are for dark side only, or some people (like me), are just cads.

There are, however, some times when this bugs me

On one of the first missions on Koriban, you have a quest to help a jedi escape with false memories implanted. There is a dark side option to go through with the plan, or a light side option to betray the empire, but no shades of grey. Such things bug me.

Edited by Eegorr

Personally, I turned off the option to view LS or DS choices. I choosed based on what my character would say. But yeah, I can see why people would choose LS or DS almost blindly. For one thing, there is LS or DS specific gear in this game. The only way to get it is by having X amount of LS or DS points accumulated, so it kinda puts a pressure on you to pick a side for game mechanical reasons. Since you'll miss out on some stuff if you don't have enough points from whatever side.

I wish LS and DS points only affected story choices and such, rather than indirectly provide mechanical benefits. I also think that some of the stuff that grants you LS or DS points also makes no sense. I have been enjoying the dialog choices so far, but once in a while I'll get LS or DS points for something so dumb (such as getting LS points for helping people lie rather than come clean about their wishes or intentions, and DS if you don't help them lie and be deshonest) I just don't know what the dialog writters were thinking when they came up with that stuff.

Edited by VisionStorm

Because the game rewards you for quickly accumulating points of one side or the other with artifacts, titles, social items and for DS a physical appearance change. Many people see this as simply a game with no RP elements and all they want to do is get the best stuff as quickly as possible, so they just pick one side and stick with it. Other people may want to RP to some extent but will still stick with one side because they feel penalized if they don't (forced to use other methods to gain LS/DS points). It's a flaw in the game design. Why would I pick an LS option if it means my DS gear becomes unusable?

Also for some flashpoints, picking the LS/DS option will change the mission. For example, on Esseles choosing the dark side option to reactor reset, means you don't get to explore the Engineering Deck and get the lore, loot, and extra bad guys as it immediately jumps you to the next part of the flashpoint.

Is it really that hard to make DS choices as a republic player and LS choices as an Empire player?

In some cases yes. In flashpoints I don't care and usually take the DS option to kill the fool but in quest mode I'm usually picking LS because Mako is a goody goody.

I wish companions were a little bit more apathetic when it came to how I run my life LOL :)

In some cases yes. In flashpoints I don't care and usually take the DS option to kill the fool but in quest mode I'm usually picking LS because Mako is a goody goody.

I wish companions were a little bit more apathetic when it came to how I run my life LOL :)

Companion gifts. Easier than worrying about how they react.

I could give gifts but I'd like the story to go smoothly. There are a few times where "killing the fool" gave LS points and good points with Mako. I wouldn't mind getting the LS points as long I as felt more bad *****. I hate telling everyone to RUN instead of just cleaning up the mess. I'm a bounty hunter, not Dr. Who. Edited by Baracca

I am playing as a DS Trooper, but that does not mean that EVERY decision I make is DS as I have made many LS decisions. Hell, I would have been DS4 by now but because of my past LS choices, I am only halfway through DS3. So yeah, I am playing as a DS character but I am giving my character reasons to go DS......he wants to defent the Republic at all cost. Any choice that presents immediately benefit for the Republic, I go with, which most of the time means going DS as a Trooper as the LS Trooper options are more diplomatic and willing to talk things out.

What really irks me is when I group for Flashpoints or Heroics as a Trooper and all 3 of the other players 100% of the time chooses the LS option. Same thing in the beta weekend when I was a Bounty Hunter for the Empire, I would make many LS decisions because my BH operated on a moral code and actually had a conscience. However in every grouped scenario, everyone would 100% choose the DS option.

It just seems like NO MATTER what the situation is, a Republic player is going to choose the LS option and the Empire player is going to choose the DS option.

Some people just don't RP at all. Or they RP in a way that maybe they would do in real life, which a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable with the DS options.

I RP my smuggler to the max, and he has no problem telling the engineers on Esseles that they should just die. He also had no problem flushing the engineers on the Mandalorian Raiders ship into space. Luckily, I won that roll against the other 3 who picked the LS option. It was fun watching them get swept into space. Then everybody in my group said "Man, you're a dark dude."

In reality, though, I was close to 50/50 LS/DS points at that point. Not dark at all... Just ready to kill Mandalorian enemies of the Republic... Don't care if they are just engineers.

Well I can only speak for myself, but I almost always click the lightside choice without really considering it, even when I KNOW it's stupid (The Jedi Knight story on Naa Shaddaa for example).

The BIGGEST issue I think with that is the whole Light Side\Dark Side gear. People don't want half light because they feel all the 'good' light\dark side gear will be at the END of those tree. So full light gear will be better than light 2 gear, etc... why would I want to potentially nerf myself and hinder my progress later?

I think BW need to be a bit more clear about what the Light\Dark side gear IS and what it DOES right from the start. Is it cosmetic? Does it have lasting effects? Will I be able to nerf my character? Is Light 2 gear the same as Light 3, or is L3 better?

And so on.

I've got 1 IMP Agent that is total DS, but that isn't to say I/She hasn't wanted to make a few LS decisions, because quite frankly those choices were the best to make considering my mission objective and desired outcome.

Regardless; on 'those' decisions I still went DS, because I wanted to hit DS lvl 1 and unlock equipment, and didn't feel like making a dozen more DS choices to off set that 1 LS choice.

The irony being; Had I made the choices I wanted to make, I'd still be 50/50 neutral and nowhere near unlocking that gear.

It's a fact; there is no reward for sitting on the fence. So that in mind, my first few toons will be total LS or total DS, until I've got the money / crafting to outfit them without having to hit those alignment levels.

Some people just don't RP at all. Or they RP in a way that maybe they would do in real life, which a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable with the DS options.

I RP my smuggler to the max, and he has no problem telling the engineers on Esseles that they should just die. He also had no problem flushing the engineers on the Mandalorian Raiders ship into space. Luckily, I won that roll against the other 3 who picked the LS option. It was fun watching them get swept into space. Then everybody in my group said "Man, you're a dark dude."

In reality, though, I was close to 50/50 LS/DS points at that point. Not dark at all... Just ready to kill Mandalorian enemies of the Republic... Don't care if they are just engineers.

Exactly!

People find it shocking when you pick a choice that isnt a "sterotype" to your faction. I think it was the Hammer Station Flashpoint where I choose and won the roll for a DS choice and in the chat, people said stuff like "Lol, a Dark Trooper" and when I was a LS Bounty Hunter in the beta, people would ask me why didn't I just roll as a Trooper if I wanted to be lightside?

Again, why do people act like just because you're Empire....you have to be DS and because your Republic....you have to be LS?

Personally I find it better to play the "inverse" way which is to be DS on the Republic and LS as the Empire. While my Trooper Vanguard is DS, my Imperial Agent Sniper will be LS.

Because the game rewards you for quickly accumulating points of one side or the other with artifacts, titles, social items and for DS a physical appearance change. Many people see this as simply a game with no RP elements and all they want to do is get the best stuff as quickly as possible, so they just pick one side and stick with it. Other people may want to RP to some extent but will still stick with one side because they feel penalized if they don't (forced to use other methods to gain LS/DS points). It's a flaw in the game design. Why would I pick an LS option if it means my DS gear becomes unusable?

THIS is the answer. QFT.

I think the game would be better served if the light side and dark side levels were harder to obtain.. but were on separate scales so you could max both. But I don't imagine they they quite care what I think. Good game in all though.

I will agree it's primarily for the gear. And some of the choices I don't know if I agree with. For example, on Taris you assist military personnel with going AWOL by telling their commanding officer they died. Not sure if that's exactly Light Side, but it rewarded Light Side points so I chose that.

I think a incentive for remaining neutral would be fun as well. Maybe something with a minimum level 42 and NO HIGHER than LS1 or DS1. instead of just choosing Light and Dark every time, you would have to watch your gauge and maintain balance. Sound like it would be harder than just all one side or the other.