Reasons to play

DeltaaXx

In short: If we put it in that classic theme park analogy, nothing is stopping you from riding most rides alone at a theme park, but an abandoned theme park quickly looks like the backdrop for a spooky horror film.

The inference being that it is group content that is the foundation of community in MMOs?

I agree with your comments, with one exception.... group content being played is one factor in an MMO community, not THE factor. I met many people over the years in game that in fact rarely group, but they enjoy and are dependent on a world with many players.

I too want to see some of everything in an MMO, but sometimes it just does not work out that way. But that does not mean there is no community, nor active players to interact with at a variety of levels.

I think we need to try to avoid absolutes in the discussion. Absolutes rarely apply across a wide and diversified player base. Group content =/= community, nor does the lack of group content = no community. It's more complicated than simple absolutes. MMO exosystems are more complex than this, and more fluid and flexible.

What IS true I think is that different MMOs develop somewhat different communities and ecosystems for the communities, based on the content they produce. So, an MMO that caters more to grouping, over time will have a community that is group focused. The same for catering to solo play. Of course most MMOs are some blend, and not extremes, but players as a community still settle in to a style and approach that most closely matches the game content. Most MMOs tend to lean more toward casual solo friendly, or group friendly, and some strike a nice balance. The current trend in the market appears to be putting more emphasis on casual play, with an emphasis on more solo content, sometimes at the expense of group content. There will always be players complaining that XYZ MMO does not meet their needs/wants... which is fine in a forum discussion format, unless they get pejorative toward the studio/MMO about it.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I am coming back to this thread is because an inaccuracy was told about me personally i am not new

You have been around for 2 years as per your own admittance, which then makes my original point that you deemed as inaccurate towards you, correct. Even your Forum Account number states you're in the 12millions.

I just wanted to clarify that for random people who read this so they are not misinformed

Why does it matter? Especially since Jamtas quickly was able to pull up what you've stated in the past should anyone care to look.

I have been around for years . in game mailbox was qualified for ealy acces and have many toons.

Two years, does not equal years. You've been around for 2 years. Don't exaggerate.

890 days = 2.43 years.

The sad part is though Nova, you totally missed the point & once again started splitting hairs over a non topic subject.

hmm, qualified for early access yet there is this post dated 4/29/14 (2 years ago): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7383397#post7383397

EDIT: Now noticing you didn't specify early access to what - so in that context if you meant early access to KOTFE- sure then.

Even his picture doesn't clarify to what Early Access he's talking about.

Clearly reading this thread and the crap in it is reason enough not to answer the OP question. You lot dismiss anything you don't agree with out of hand. Turn round and say anything you don't agree with has no proof while offering no proof other than your own onion which you state as fact, when it is no more true than anything else anyone is saying. etc. etc. etc.

It really is about time you grew up and just except different players like different things. It is pointless asking these sort of question if you just dismiss any answer you get. You don't understand because you don't want to. We don't need to justify what we like to play any more than you needs to justify that you like group content. All that matters is we all have fun in our own game choices.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Clearly reading this thread and the crap in it is reason enough not to answer the OP question. You lot dismiss anything you don't agree with out of hand. Turn round and say anything you don't agree with has no proof while offering no proof other than your own onion which you state as fact, when it is no more true than anything else anyone is saying. etc. etc. etc.

It really is about time you grew up and just except different players like different things. It is pointless asking these sort of question if you just dismiss any answer you get. You don't understand because you don't want to. We don't need to justify what we like to play any more than you needs to justify that you like group content. All that matters is we all have fun in our own game choices.

Oh Boy, lumping everyone into one "lot" to dimiss really begs me to initally ask if you want to be the pot or kettle here.

At no point in my post did I state anything was fact, in fact I mentioned "as I perceive" which is stating it is my opinion.

That aside, I fully agree that different players like different things and that is why the game should cater to all and not just a single only or group only context. Nor have I seen anyone argue for group only. Nova argues in his post history for the game going complete single player option. No where in the other psots do I see anyone advocating for group only so if anyone is being dismissive of others playstyles, check on the person advocating for single player.

This game thrives by having all communities in it solo, group, PVP, Role playing, etc. This past expansion left out new content for almost everyone expect solo players which is why the group content players are complaining.

-PVP had 1 new play style and an additional area map for first time in 2 years so that I'll give. But still heavy balance issues

-Group content got rescaled old content - nothing new. Star fortress are group optional and soloable even in hard mode.

-Role play suffered by removal of classes to the outlander - everyone the exact same leader of alliance.

-GSF did not get anything new

So the complaints of the game dying/people leaving are on point becasue a segment of the community has been ignored Since Dec 2/9th 2014. (release of 3.0).

My onion is amazing though....

Huh? I don't get this...who wants it forced?

:D What i was trying to say (and obviously failed miserably) is that that game mechanics like group instances aren't needed to interact with others, personally i would prefer more open world content that can't be done solo instead of instances because....it's chaotic and that's way more fun than some instance for X ammount of people...at least i always loved it.

EDIT: Now noticing you didn't specify early access to what - so in that context if you meant early access to KOTFE- sure then.

that is what I meant considering the image i posted and the most recent event.. ..it seems It seemed self explanatory to me given the image I attached . I guess i should reconsider what is " self explanatory"

I'm just curious...who here thinks MMOs should only focus on group activities? Has ANYONE here, or not here, ever suggested that?

See, I LOVE group activities, but that doesn't mean I dislike solo activities, or even worse, want them removed. I understand that what "I" like, you may not like, and that's fine. If you want more solo experiences, I support your desire for that. I'll stand up with you and demand more solo content, because solo content is the thing people like me, who enjoy group content, actually do until we have enough on for a group activity.

MMOs consist of people that like all types of things...like crafting. An activity that I honestly dislike. I don't craft in this game, I've never crafted in any other game...it's nothing "I" enjoy...but others do. Because they enjoy it, I support them when they ask for more things to craft...because they too are a part of the community I play with. Their $ is just as viable as mine and their voice is just as important as mine is. Same with RP...I don't get it, I don't do it, but I LOVE that other players do. I love that they can play the same game I am, even though we enjoy different things.

What "I" want, is group activities...but that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.

I agree with this great post Tuxs.

You surprised me I washed my hands of responding to this thread but you actually made a post of high quality that was worth tthe time for me to come back . I am not against group content just people bad immature/elitist attitudes / or being "forced" to do it.

Attitudes like ...

" group content most important part of the game "

"mmo means group content deal with it"

"only group content gives actual replayability" ( stated as a fact in a general sense )

( If that all you like to do then fine its an opinion not fact same with "Endgame" if you think "endgame should be a certain way that is an opinion not fact .)

" if you dont like it go play a single player game " bad attitude and a very childish response

These forced grouping and attitudes are what i have a issue with not the idea or implementation of group content .

Huh? I don't get this...who wants it forced?

This event is a good example of forced grouping.

Also People who oppose solo aspects of group activities.

example of a statement People who oppose solo versions of FP .. I can just imagine the rage if they started doing that with ops .

This suggestion was made regarding the event but could be for any other content similar to how they are doing solo FP

i made this suggestion to improve the next event

If you read i made an alternate suggestion suggestion was to offer 2 paths ... one for people who like to group or pvp and one for people who dont with the same result on both sides

so there is no benefit to doing it either way, (no bribes or requirements)

that gives freedom of choice , They have started doing this with the new solo flashpoints .

Let the community as a whole decide if they want to group or solo.

Another example how this could be achieved is the preparation for the battle with Reven . there were two routes an op and solo path.

The devs themselves were responsible for "forced grouping" as you could not complete this event without joining the group activities.

How ever a segment of player would also complain because if too much of the community made the choice to complete the solo path peole would start ranting ..

"the que timers are so long because there i s no point to join a group if you could just do solo and get the same result"

"its impossible to find a group now devs "

which translates to : force others to play the game my way because everyone is choosing to do it solo and i dont want to have to go look for a guild or people of the same mind so I can play the way I want to

If this was the case it would not be the devs fault the community choose not to group.

My whole point is freedom of choice it always has been I hope that clears things up for you Tuxs and although i dont agree with a lot of your posts I do give credit where credit is due and hope that this helps to understand my position better.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

I enjoyed my old playstaion games and xbox. To me playing the same game is still fun. I still have my old games and yes still play them instead of trading them in. Playing multiple characters does have benefits over those old playstaion/xbox games. If you take say tomb raider it is one story. KOTOR is same, yes you could pick a few different choices in those old games, but really its the same story. With this game its pretty much the same except you now have 8 story's (well in the first 3 chapters anyway). Having multiple characters does allow you to change from class to class and faction which means that at least to me has more playability. For me if I play a level 65 one day doing heroics then next day I would go back to a character at a much lower level and change class's often and factions. Sure yes am still doing same story's over and over but still not doing the exact same thing more than two days in a row.

Reasons to play? Just comes down to one factor for me, am I still enjoying playing? at the moment the answer is yes. if that changed I would just leave and go onto something else and just come back for any new story. Some of you have being playing since day one, so longer than I have and we all have our burn out moment. So if I get that in a year or two, well that's the they way it go's.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I will say, I was a little surprised they made "all the flashpoints" a requirement for the companion. (I am not at all surprised with the Legendary tier requiring grouping at least 3 different ways, though). Excluding the "solo mode available" flashpoints, it's around 10 hours of forced group play (The non-SoR flashpoints average around an hour of playtime as a group if you don't take drastic measures. More if your group can't find their fundamentals without astromech navigation support). As far as "required content" for Eternal Tier, that's second only to the KotFE story requirement in playtime investment, or maybe third to the L65 requirement (depends on how much of your levelling you also do via those FPs). Plus time spent in queue not spent doing other things. (I "cheated" and did them paired with my wife - the only one that was at all difficult was Depths of Manaan, though that was also the only SoR FP we did paired, the other soloables we did separately (excepting me getting GF-queued into Korriban Incursion in what was very nearly a "proper trinity" team). Probably more actual time spent if you rely on GF exclusively, and therefore probably end up doubling up on a few.

For that matter, the Flashpoint Expert requirement isn't even on the Eternal Level, it's on the Champion level - you could do it and still not get the companion. For a design team that is allegedly abandoning group content, that's a strange choice; in fact, now that I'm thinking on it, I am really wondering why Flashpoint Expert is on the Champion level and Eternal Contender is on Eternal; it's a lot more likely that you'll get to TEC 5 before you get all of the flashpoints (because you have to use two characters to get all the flashpoints). (Cutesy naming convention aside)

PS: The PvP requirement isn't nearly as stiff - Valor V is around 6 matches - even if you get unlucky and end up in all Huttball match that go to the regulation time each time, that's still just over an hour of gameplay (plus queue time, I suppose).

I will say, I was a little surprised they made "all the flashpoints" a requirement for the companion. (I am not at all surprised with the Legendary tier requiring grouping at least 3 different ways, though). Excluding the "solo mode available" flashpoints, it's around 10 hours of forced group play (The non-SoR flashpoints average around an hour of playtime as a group if you don't take drastic measures. More if your group can't find their fundamentals without astromech navigation support). As far as "required content" for Eternal Tier, that's second only to the KotFE story requirement in playtime investment, or maybe third to the L65 requirement (depends on how much of your levelling you also do via those FPs). Plus time spent in queue not spent doing other things. (I "cheated" and did them paired with my wife - the only one that was at all difficult was Depths of Manaan, though that was also the only SoR FP we did paired, the other soloables we did separately (excepting me getting GF-queued into Korriban Incursion in what was very nearly a "proper trinity" team). Probably more actual time spent if you rely on GF exclusively, and therefore probably end up doubling up on a few.

For that matter, the Flashpoint Expert requirement isn't even on the Eternal Level, it's on the Champion level - you could do it and still not get the companion. For a design team that is allegedly abandoning group content, that's a strange choice; in fact, now that I'm thinking on it, I am really wondering why Flashpoint Expert is on the Champion level and Eternal Contender is on Eternal; it's a lot more likely that you'll get to TEC 5 before you get all of the flashpoints (because you have to use two characters to get all the flashpoints). (Cutesy naming convention aside)

PS: The PvP requirement isn't nearly as stiff - Valor V is around 6 matches - even if you get unlucky and end up in all Huttball match that go to the regulation time each time, that's still just over an hour of gameplay (plus queue time, I suppose).

FP thing was definitely the biggest pain for me, getting Eternal. Virtually everything else was easy peasy solo play. Luckily, I can do group content (I'm not like debilitated or something, it's just a choice for reasons I won't go into).

But that was definitely the most time-consuming for me cause I did it all pug (excepting for the solo FPs, of course) and the time it took to complete any one flashpoint was pretty much out of my hands. Which, by the way, is not the reason I avoid group content, but it is a reason that I enjoy solo content; I can do it at my own pace, which is often faster solo than working with a pug group of people who can range from rambo to gary the snail.

That one's not all the flashpoints- no Lost Island, no Kaon Under Siege, no Colicoid Wars. And those all have Solo mods (Wait, no, most, Directive 7 doesn't IIRC, or does it?) As for why it's not on Eternal instead of TEC to Rank 5, I'm not sure, but it would have made more sense to me too.

EDIT: I like to think I sped the process for that one for me by doing FP Queues while leveling, then I just ran the SoR and Eseless/Black Talon ones Solo .

Edited by LyraineAlei

And those all have Solo mods (Wait, no, most, Directive 7 doesn't IIRC, or does it?)

It has a solo mode.

Ontopic: My reason to continue playing is very simple: I don't have the time and the nerves to start a new game due to my job and everything. So I stick around with this game which still provides me enough fun to continue. If this game would stop, I would probably stop playing as well. (Except my old Sega Master System which I still use occassionally, for example Wonder Boy or Phantasy Star.)

we ALL matter.

Just like choice matters...

We should all matter, but for the past two years only the solo players matter. That's all the game has procuded in the last two year. From my point of view KotET will either break that trend or confirm it.

And it could be another breaking point for a number of players just like 4.0 pushed out pretty much the hard core raiding community. I fear that 5.0 will push out the mid range raider group as it will become clear that raids are a thing of the past in SWTOR.

So it's cool that you think we all matter, but I don't believe BW has the same idea about that here.

Just like choice matters...

We should all matter, but for the past two years only the solo players matter. That's all the game has procuded in the last two year. From my point of view KotET will either break that trend or confirm it.

And it could be another breaking point for a number of players just like 4.0 pushed out pretty much the hard core raiding community. I fear that 5.0 will push out the mid range raider group as it will become clear that raids are a thing of the past in SWTOR.

So it's cool that you think we all matter, but I don't believe BW has the same idea about that here.

I'm with ya on everything you've said...I'm very fearful that 5.0 will be the nail. And yeah, it sure as hell seems like us group activity people don't matter to Bioware...but we do to any healthy MMO. Bioware will learn a very silly, and completely unnecessary, lesson if they continue to neglect players like us. I don't want them to make that mistake...my comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone here on the forums, it's directed specifically to Bioware and their management.

That one's not all the flashpoints- no Lost Island, no Kaon Under Siege, no Colicoid Wars. And those all have Solo mods (Wait, no, most, Directive 7 doesn't IIRC, or does it?) As for why it's not on Eternal instead of TEC to Rank 5, I'm not sure, but it would have made more sense to me too.

I explicitly did not include any Flashpoint with a solo mode in my count, and I didn't count Colicoid Wargames. I did count Kaon Under Siege and Lost Island, so drop the playtime by approximately two hours.

Directive 7 has a solo mode, I don't know why.

It's still a gigantic time investment compared to almost every other check box.

So, anyone who knows me in game or otherwise knows just how much discontent I have for KotFE and some of these "changes". So no need to repeat any of the negative nelly or sky falling stuff. It is also apparent just how little raiding (or sustainable group content rather) and PvP seem to matter to this game anymore, so my question to you all is:

What are some of the reasons you still play or what some reasons to continue play SWTOR with more than one character?

Any suggestions welcome.

The only reason why I even got into SWTOR in the first place were stories. That's why I play it. If everything else went away and vanished, I most likely wouldn't notice it. But when the stories themselves are...1 run et voila! like KoTFE(no replay value etc)...not only that but too alien and weird like KoTFE...that's when I call it quits. Everything pre KoTFE was located in various degrees of good. KoTFE(apart from some very nice QoL features such as all speeder routes unlocked etc) is a massive stinker imo.

On the topic, my reasons to play are various.

Firstly, i came back to the game about 2 weeks ago, and found the DvL event. I started doing it immediately, currently grinding my way to Champion (only 4 fps left, all of them soloable), and once i finish Flashpoint Expert, i'll do KotFE and move on to try to reach Eternal, which imo is comparatively easier than getting champion.

Secondly, i found a lot of stuff to do. I have never played KotFE and look forward to it. Also i never played SoR, i left when it launched. Playing it has been a nice experience.

Thirdly, i only completed the 1-50 stories on all the imperial toons. Once im done with the event and reach eternal, i'll keep on playing the stories. Im gonna replay the agent first, and then move on to all the Republic classes. The Imperial classes i played, i dont remember them anymore so i'll also play them again from 1-65. Thats the reason im doing the event with a sorc, i wanted to level her again 1-65 just to see her class story again, as i remember it fondly bc it was my first one.

All these are enough reasons to keep playing, and i have many, many hours of gameplay ahead of me. Also, KotET is arriving soon, and i'll play it too eventually.

Before i left last time, i used to pvp almost exclusively, but i find it too stressing. Getting lost in the galaxy while i play my personal stories is enough for me to keep playing, at least for some months more, now that i came back.

Edited by DeVanagloris

I explicitly did not include any Flashpoint with a solo mode in my count, and I didn't count Colicoid Wargames. I did count Kaon Under Siege and Lost Island, so drop the playtime by approximately two hours.

Directive 7 has a solo mode, I don't know why.

It's still a gigantic time investment compared to almost every other check box.

I remember now, was posting late last night before. D7 has a solo mode because the little droid that gives a breadcrumb quest to D7 has a purple triangle over his/it's head. "Class Story/Important story" apparently.

I was just meaning that you don't have to do the Tacticals, the achievements says Solo OR Tactical, but I'm nitpicking first thing in the morning too. I agree, FPs are a huge time investment either way you do them, however.

EDIT: On topic: I play because I prefer the pre-KotFE storylines more and enjoy running characters through them.

Edited by LyraineAlei

I remember now, was posting late last night before. D7 has a solo mode because the little droid that gives a breadcrumb quest to D7 has a purple triangle over his/it's head. "Class Story/Important story" apparently.

I was just meaning that you don't have to do the Tacticals, the achievements says Solo OR Tactical, but I'm nitpicking first thing in the morning too. I agree, FPs are a huge time investment either way you do them, however.

EDIT: On topic: I play because I prefer the pre-KotFE storylines more and enjoy running characters through them.

If they have solo mode, you can score them in solo mode. But 8 flashpoints on the list do not have solo modes, you must do them in tactical (or hard mode, I think)

Like I said before, "reasons to pay" is my main dilemma. If this game wants to be a solo and story driven one that is fine. The problem is it is a watered down version of what those usually are. This game was created to be a mmo with mmo like playstyles which generally revolves around raiding and "follow the carrot" gearing or decoration. I'd love for another kotor type game in today's gaming world. Make it rich and involving like the first two are and create content over the years to add to it as DLCs. I'd pay for that and would love it. Instead we get a mmo a lot of us started playing and enjoyed and they moved away from that and start trying this quasi-rpg type game built over a mmo that doesn't really stand up to fully developed rpg's and now completely takes away the best parts of fully developed mmos. If they want to go to a rpg type format that is fine but that should have been specifically communicated some time ago.

Ultimately, if they want to keep charging a monthly sub they need to directly and honestly tell their paying community exactly what their plans are for the game. Which should have happened a year ago.

I think it is important to understand that the purpose of the DvL event was not to make it doable in the play style you want, but to open up a reward for trying all (ok, most) aspects of the game.

• There are class requirements for solo play (level each of the 8 classes to 50, take a imperial and republic character to 65, complete all of SOR/KOTFE
  • There were PVP requirements (valor 5, 15 matches)
  • GSF requirements
  • World Boss Kills
  • Operation Boss Kills
  • Solo/Tactitcle FPs
  • HM FPs
  • Reaching 1 million credits
  • Spending those million credits
  • Acquiring HK and using him to kill 50 NPCs
  • Getting a Stronghold
  • Recruiting Alliance companions
  • Completing the Eternal Championship
  • Leveling all crafting skills to 550
  • Participating in Gree, Rakghoul and Bounty Broker events
  • Finding 5 new datacrons

All of these had varying degrees of difficulty and rewards distributed according to that difficulty.

The purpose was not to jsut allow you to still play solo and avoid the group activities, ignore story, ignore GSF,PVP, crafting, etc.

They likely wanted to have the new player base that has come to the game in that past year who may not have experienced all these things to see them for the first time through an event that rewarded it. Making these things available in solo mode or removing them from requirements defeats that agenda.

So yes this optional event that you can choose to participate in or not was an example of "forced grouping". It was also, "forced story, forced GSF, forced pvp, forced crafting, forced exploration, forced leveling, etc". It was forced to have everyone try out almost all aspects of the game - and reward them for doing it past just achievement points. Then when people have tried things they stayed away form or weren't aware of previously - maybe they continue to do so and increase the levels of activity in those aspects. And if not, BW can make their decision what to support/not support moving forward.

If they have solo mode, you can score them in solo mode. But 8 flashpoints on the list do not have solo modes, you must do them in tactical (or hard mode, I think)

Tactical or Solo for Champion, HM for Legendary.

While I prefer groups, oddly enough I really liked the Solo because it let me go at my own pace which tended to be slower. The groups I had were rather variable and the first one I did really put me off tacticals for about a week. Had better luck on my Imperial toon except for the last one I had to clear. Since the group fell apart I had to accept a lockout. Bounced back to my sage and ran with an awesome group.

Nintendo was recently awarded the patent for the term Massively Solo Player. Being a game company for 127 years (look it up) shows that they perceive a changing game market. This back and forth is just two camps of thought. More power to the people who are still getting something out of the leveling content and don't mind all the green mods and no crafted gear to buy on the GTN. The leveling worlds give you plenty of elbow room cause on most servers now you won't see another human player as you trek across Blamorra, Tatooine, Hoth etc...

The folks who recall the days of guild fun runs of 16 man SM S&V are a dying breed unfortunately. The 8 man NIM leets are long gone. Even the World Boss groups and Battlemaster hunts are seldom seen these days. Remember the insanity of trying to kill the Nightmare Pilgrim on Voss when 50 was max level? :rolleyes:

I think it is important to understand that the purpose of the DvL event was not to make it doable in the play style you want, but to open up a reward for trying all (ok, most) aspects of the game.

So yes this optional event that you can choose to participate in or not was an example of "forced grouping". It was also, "forced story, forced GSF, forced pvp, forced crafting, forced exploration, forced leveling, etc".

Thank you for posting this as I feel it goes largely unsaid. Myself and others I know had no problem whatsoever with the grouping aspects of DvL but hated having to run SoR and KotFE. Personally, DvL was the first I touched 10-16 and would probably not have done it otherwise.

Something else I believe is not really ever discussed is that players who enjoy group content do quite a bit of solo content. If I log in and can't find a group to do anything, I'll work on an alt, often via solo flashpoints. Right now I'm doing SoR on another server because I'd like at least a 5-piece of the +xp armor set on every server I might ever care to play on. Given that lockouts exist in this game, I prefer having multiples of the classes I play, I've had to level those up primarily solo.

If there was a way for me to do nothing but group content in this game I happily would; but there is not. As such, I find myself doing quite a bit of solo content. The metrics capture my play, they do not capture my interests. Without the capacity to engage in meaningful group play, I would do exactly zero solo content. I would be somewhere else.

The reverse of this situation is not true. To engage in solo play, essentially no grouping is required. Thus I believe that metrics representing solo playtime/style have an inherent boost that is essentially meaningless. How much? Who knows. But it seems to me that group-players are far more "forced" into solo play than vice versa. I'd be interested in hearing opposing points of view.