Is this lack of communication normal?

DarthWoad

Not to change the subject, but GSF is in the shape it is because of the players as much as it is the Devs. I played my 1st GSF match in months last night and all it did was remind me of why the hell I quit playing it. GSF can be an absolute BLAST!!! But 6 freaking GS's and 2 Strike Fighters against a team of novices makes it an utter **** show.

I should note the people fly strike fighters are the ones trying to make it less of a pain since Strike Fighters are, for the most part, really bad ships.

But yes, the gunship/bomber balls, triple capping, and spawncamping by some people don't help and make it a pain for even veteran players. There is a lot of argument about what helps and what doesn't, but there are more friendly players trying to make it a better experience then there are people who spawncamp.

But I should point out that some of those bug fixes, improvements, and other suggestions we've made would go a long way to help new players.

We would appreciate some form of communication. Literally anything at this point. The best we've gotten is from the guy who designed GSF saying "he wished he could do more" at a Cantina Convention last August.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wasting time your time pointing out the obvious to the DD gang. They truly believe their vile and reprehensible behavior is an acceptable way to communicate with other people. You just have to hope as they grow up and get some real life experiences they learn to effectively convey their thoughts and concerns without coming across as a complete <unmentionable term goes here>.

Who are you to judge?

Actually what i see most here on the forums is alot of people that are tonedeaf. Not the Devs or anything. It is alot of the community that is tonedeaf. Devs stay quiet cause if and when they do talk. They get slammed by the community for whatever the Dev brought up.

Please link a single instance in the last twelve months where a developer has tried to discuss either Operations or GSF with the community and was slammed.

I should note the people fly strike fighters are the ones trying to make it less of a pain since Strike Fighters are, for the most part, really bad ships.

But yes, the gunship/bomber balls, triple capping, and spawncamping by some people don't help or make it a pain for even veteran players. There is a lot of argument about what helps and what doesn't, but there are more friendly players trying to make it a better experience then there are people who spawncamp.

But I should point out that some of those bug fixes, improvements, and other suggestions we've made would go a long way to help new players.

We would appreciate some form of communication. Literally anything at this point. The best we've gotten is from the guy who designed GSF saying "he wished he could do more" at a Cantina Convention last August.

~ Eudoxia

You are correct. I appreciated the 2 players who actually tried to make it a better match...the other 6 can rot in **** :p (I KID!!!).

A few simple tweaks like, removing bombers entirely, would go a long way ;)

Removing bombers would not help. In fact that would probably make the situation worse. The real answer is simply re-balancing GSF, and in 2 expansions and dozens of patches they haven't touched it.

Eric, we in the GSF community have worked hard to keep it alive. We have people on the Red Eclipse going out of their way to train new players. Shadowlands Reconnaissance Wing spent months in the "Shadowlands Balancing act" to keep queue balanced there so new players would queue. Desponn held a GSF school on several servers for a few months to train people and answer questions, including making an amazing Twitch stream with Mikaboshi. There are dozens of guides. People like me, Maulkat, and Drakolich have hosted events to keep people playing and interested.

We would really appreciate any word from the Devs about GSF, any show of support, any word of something as simple as a few bugfixes or exploit fixes (like people glitching into asteroids).

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Have you ever seen a live stream of theirs? Do you read the comments section? I'm not talking about the 5 trolls, I'm talking about the sheer number of questions that get thrown at them...it's impossible for them to answer even 5% of the questions, but players still inundate them with those questions because it's one of the very few opportunities to communicate with them.

In their defense, this is why we need forum moderators as in someone to act as a bridge between staff and the players. We need someone who has a clue as to what needs to be brought to BW's attention.

Do we really need 7 threads started within the last 48 hours about gold spammers? They should have been combined all into one and a single thread presented to staff saying "Hey, some folks think this is important."

Having said that, could have sworn that's what the "community managers" are supposed to be doing. *shrug*

Hey folks,

I thought this thread was a good opportunity to talk about the communication as of late. Although I may not post every day, I am definitely here, reading the forums. I know that there is frustration right now because you are all eager to learn more about what is coming in Knights of the Eternal Throne. We just aren't ready to talk about Eternal Throne yet, and so I can't answer your questions at this time.

But, I do want to make sure you know when we will begin really talking about Eternal Throne. That date is October 7th. The day/night of our New York Comic-con Cantina is when you can expect details about Eternal Throne. Once we have crossed the 7th (and through launch), I will be able to address questions in the forum more directly, we will be posting developer blogs related to the expansion, and more.

I know this post is an announcement of an announcement but were almost there, only a few more weeks.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Short version:

We post becouse we've noticed arrow goes down, call down. Like always - stay sub! exciting new comming soon. ;)

The whole leap from Ziost to KotFE shows just how disconnected the whole thing is, and they just change directions on a whim.

I don't really agree with your KOtOR comments, but I agree with this quoted portion. I was actually excited about the future encounter with the Emperor's ghost. I thought it would have some cool new planets to explore, new dailies, new reputation/planetary vendors or currency. But instead we got.... some wonky storyline and game revamp that's taken an entire year.

BW, just hurry up and introduce the merged megaserver, and the new faction-less fleet area, and the new start-at-60 classes, and factionless queuing that is obviously coming. Thanks.

Oh... that's not coming? It's just more KOTFE-like content? [[ user unsubs ]]

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

We would really appreciate any word from the Devs about GSF, any show of support, any word of something as simple as a few bugfixes or exploit fixes (like people glitching into asteroids).

~ Eudoxia

SoonTM

Edited by Jamtas

Thanks for posting, Eric. Honestly, I recall you saying something in an interview along the lines of, "You can only say nothing so many times."

But sometimes, saying 'nothing' (e.g. posting to say what you can't say) means a hell of a lot because it at least sends the message that you are, truly, listening, in some way. I get the sense that what people want in communication is not something you're allowed to give, but you could still give nothing answers more often. That might sound silly on the surface, but I do think it makes all the difference.

Also, just putting the idea out there... if there's any way to give us access to some kind of information on bugs, or give us a way feel to more interactive in trying to help QA pin down what's causing them, I think that would be a good thing. I don't have any stunning ideas for how, I just know that this game has a reputation for having a lot of old bugs and bugs that seem to crop up like whack-a-mole. And then there are instances like the DvL collections bug, where a prominent bug will get acknowledged, maybe even with an attempted patch to fix it, but then it'll break again with another patch or it'll never be fixed entirely in the first place and months later it's still going on. And then players are sitting there wondering whether it's even worth waiting for a fix or if they should just be bugging CS about it.

I know how it is with bugs and software cause I've worked with software before. I have quite a bit of understanding about how hard it can be to get some bugs to stay away (they're like elections... they keep coming back, no matter how much you dislike them). But it's hard for me to be understanding of silence and bugs are one of those things where I'd like to help and feel that I can, when time and circumstances allow, but obviously I can only do so much. And sometimes the circumstances of a bug are so obvious that there's not a lot of information to give. Hearing silence on a prominent bug, or seeing it come back, is, in a word, frustrating. I realize you have a priority list and a lot of your resources probably go to internal testing for new content, but one of the things that makes a game with a long-life like this one appealing (five long years) is that there's been enough time to squash most bugs in the core game. When you hear about bugs cropping up in five-year-old content, that's not a good selling point for the game. Nor is it good when you hear about things like the KOTFE romance bug, where apparently, completing part of 1-9 and then having a patch hit resets romance flags and mucks up your ability to get in a romance with your chosen character; I mean, that just screams sloppy database setup.

I wanted to end on a positive note, but I can't think of one atm.

Oh, I know. I'm about to eat pizza. Mmm, pizza. There. Positive note. Boom.

But sometimes, saying 'nothing' (e.g. posting to say what you can't say) means a hell of a lot because it at least sends the message that you are, truly, listening, in some way.

You know, simply a comment of "I've been reading through this, but can't comment on it right now." on some topics would say a lot, I think.

~ Eudoxia

You know, simply a comment of "I've been reading through this, but can't comment on it right now." on some topics would say a lot, I think.

~ Eudoxia

That's an absurd request and would be met with the exact same response by the gang as not saying anything. You can't seriously be advocating Eric to randomly copy paste that statement into various topics to make you feel better, can you?

Eric, you guys needed to beat the dataminers...you didn't.

That is entirely dependant on the dataminers, for the most part that is basically impossiable. Beating the Dataminers for the most part would be revealing way too much, the only hope they have is the fact that most of the dataminers have decided that they want to let Bioware announce KOTET first in october before they release any more.

Though, somone is claiming that they have footage of the closed beta and will be leaking it for a livestream in a few hours (Probably a troll, though if it turns out true... That is a whole new layer of incompotence).

That's an absurd request and would be met with the exact same response by the gang as not saying anything. You can't seriously be advocating Eric to randomly copy paste that statement into various topics to make you feel better, can you?

I'm not saying copy and paste. But you know, from a certain point of view (as Obi-Won would say), just acknowledgement that they know a discussion is going or that they are passing suggestions/bugs on would mean a lot. I mean, I posted that bug about Bastila's armor (which still has not been fixed) and was very glad to see a response that they knew about the bug. On the other hand, my issue with that of course is that it's been 3-4 patches now with no fix.

~ Eudoxia

An honest question here... Any chance you guys will stop with livestreams? Because they are utterly pointless. Make an imformative video if you want, anything; because the sole point of a live stream (Watching something as it's happening and interacting with the hosts) is utterly lost when you only answer 1 or two questions (Because of both 'I can't talk about it now' and the usual spamming in chat). If you're gonna use a livestream. USE IT RIGHT!

Then people would be complaining that he's copy-pasting a statement into every thread. If he has nothing substantial to say (Or a tleast a joke), posting will only piss people off more.

I'm with you on this one. Personally, I am not looking for ineffective communication. I'm interested in community/studio engagement. Having a community manager point out he sees threads does not meet that standard IMO.