Dropping my sub thanks to KOTFE proving there is only the Omni-Story now

Transairion

See, that is the problem.. people think paying a subscription gives them a say in how the game is presented to them. It's does not. Paying a subscription entitles you to play the game "as is". It is even in the terms and conditions that you agree to accept it "as-is" with no warranty or say on current or future content. Just because a player has an expectation =/= a right to unbridled negativity and criticism.
You're wrong, he can say whatever he want about a product he pays for, that does not mean the company has to listen to anything anyone says good or bad.

I give the OP more credit then I do you because he is at least walking his talk and taking a break from the game because he does not enjoy it. That is in fact the only remedy a player has with an MMO. I have done so myself in the past. All the barking in the world will not make the neighborhood in the likeness that someone desires.
HAHAHAH you're attacking me and you don't have a clue what I thought about KOTFE. :p

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP.

Another garbage chapter.

Poorly written and yet again does NOT work.

You can not shoehorn 8 different classes with light side/dark side characters into 1 single story.

KOTFE has been a disaster from day 1.

SWTOR's worst expansion ever.

I can agree with many of the points... The story made no sense on my DS Smuggler.

While I enjoyed the story, it clearly was not meant for a Commando. It felt VERY out of place...it was clearly written for a force user...it didn't mesh with the commando on any level except to be goofy as hell.

Suddenly I was force leaping all over the map and my trusty Assault Cannon was no longer any good, I needed a gun that had wings on the barrel instead...:confused:...

Like I said, it was a good story finally, but it was absolutely not intended for the Commando...or BH...or Agent...or Smuggler...

As someone who plays a smuggler main, I can sympathize with how out of place it felt to play as a non-force-using class in a chapter with such a heavy emphasis on force use and the accompanying philosophies. It didn't bother me to the degree that it did the OP, but I can empathize with the complaint.

My own "head canon" solution is that I assume my smuggler accidentally ingested some of the spice from a recent smuggling operation (or at least believes he must have) and therefore isn't sure how much of this chapter is actual occurrence and how much is an elaborate hallucination/dream.

However...

I do have to say that being given the chance to flirt with Satele felt very smuggler-like, so there was at least one moment that felt genuinely appropriate to my character.

I don't even care for the KOTFE story. I'm paying my sub to play the full game; not this one aspect of it. The writing for this xpac is embarrassing; like watching a saturday morning cartoon play out. The lack of variety between the classes doesn't help at all either. I actually rather enjoyed Chapter 10, but that's about it.

Thankfully the rest of the game is pretty fun (sans the amount of instability and bugs)

Suddenly I was force leaping all over the map

I don't know if it works the same for troopers and whatnot, but it was clear that my BH was using jetpack for those jumps.

As to another point:

Non-Force characters obviously have some connection to the Force. Satele and Marr mention being aware of your "Awakening." For Force users, that could simply mean that they woke up from the carbon freezing. Non-Force users may have awakened a connection to the Force. Just like a main character in a certain movie that just hit store shelves.

I was shocked by shear their shear laziness that they couldn't have a separate and unique KOTFE story for the pubside. I was bemused to find my commando at the bridge with Darth Malgus when I was expecting to be with Satele Shan on a failed raiding mission into Zakuul. Was that too much to ask? The one cookie cutter story template for all the unique classes is a disservice to the original developers of the game.

But to me it's all about server population. If you log in and see you are only one of 5 on a planet I can't get past feeling of 'this is not where it's at anymore' and find myself logging out. They really need to do another round of server consolidations in a big way.

While I enjoyed the story, it clearly was not meant for a Commando. It felt VERY out of place...it was clearly written for a force user...it didn't mesh with the commando on any level except to be goofy as hell.

Suddenly I was force leaping all over the map and my trusty Assault Cannon was no longer any good, I needed a gun that had wings on the barrel instead...:confused:...

Like I said, it was a good story finally, but it was absolutely not intended for the Commando...or BH...or Agent...or Smuggler...

I felt very at place as an agent, though I think you force leaping was a bug as my agent used rocket boots.

ITT: The usual people that care so little about an OP leaving the game post multiple pages telling him so. Point and laugh at the predictable junkies. :cool:

I'm not interested in playing a single player RPG, yet paying a subscription each month for the right to do so. If I want to do that, there's no lack of options.

Easily understandable, and me neither. Shame so many players are underwhelmed or bored enough to bail. 'Fraid I don't have any comments about Ch 12 since I haven't run it and couldn't care less about more spoon-fed micro story.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I have not thought the writing has been particularly good since Oricron.

That said, when I read comment threads like this I think a significant fraction of the player base does not deserve anything better. For the players complaining that KOFTE makes no sense for their trooper or bounty hunter, did it honestly never once occur to you that the tech user PCs were latent force sensitives? My first character, a Vanguard, realized something was up on Corellia when she gave a Darth Hadra a beatdown with the butt of her rifle. She beat up a lightsaber-armed Dark Council member with her RIFLESTOCK. Something was definitely not legit. My Operative realized during the course of his interactions with Darth Jadus. Why do you think he singles the agent out? My smuggler was a bit dim and full of himself, attributing all the awesome stuff he accomplished to cleverness and luck. Until talking a bit to Gus Tanno, and visiting Voss, then he began to suspect. My sociopathic bounty hunter suspected on Hutta that her numerous lucky breaks were a bit "unusual", she just did not care why they happened. And had no desire to wind up on Korriban anyway.

While the vanilla class stories do not exactly beat one over the head with the idea, there are plenty of hints your character is not exactly normal when it comes to "the Force". And with Shadows of Revan they kind of _do_ start beating you over the head. Do you think Emperor Vitiate the totally unhinged has a conversation with you on Ziost because you are witty?

Your tech-user is a latent force sensitive. She always was. Get over it.

edit: fixed an obvious typo

Edited by Midasear

I feel like the Tech classes should have gone with Jorgan and Kaliyo while the Force classes were busy being lied to.

I've only done it on my Jedi Knight so far, and though it worked for her, I can't say I'm all that keen on trying it with my Agent (the only other real character I have taken into KotFE)

I agree with the one commenter about being secret force sensitives. Yeah, they can't USE the force per se like JKs and such, but I have Heroic moment abilities and my non force sensitives come from a heavy force background, mothers, aunts, counsins, sisters, etc. So for ME it's more doable than not doable.

As to general Joe Bob trooper or smuggler? Sure, doesn't make sense, but **** changes in a game. Maybe when we're out doing our one billionth daily we use ranged shots and such, but INSIDE THE STORY, we'll probably be whooping butt with force sensitivity or whatever.

I gotta agree, I usually run My JK/Smuggy and SW/BH through every chapter so I went JK first and BH second this time and was just disheartened on BH, there was no difference at all between force user and non-force user and when my blaster components started floating I knew I wouldn't bother running my Smuggler through this. So as of now my BH and Smuggler are shelved.

See, that is the problem.. people think paying a subscription gives them a say in how the game is presented to them. It's does not. Paying a subscription entitles you to play the game "as is". It is even in the terms and conditions that you agree to accept it "as-is" with no warranty or say on current or future content. Just because a player has an expectation =/= a right to unbridled negativity and criticism.

I give the OP more credit then I do you because he is at least walking his talk and taking a break from the game because he does not enjoy it. That is in fact the only remedy a player has with an MMO. I have done so myself in the past. All the barking in the world will not make the neighborhood in the likeness that someone desires.

I hope the next time you dine out your food tastes like womprat arse with a used Band-Aid and hair in it, then when you complain about it someone from the adjacent table verbaly scolds you and tells you to eat it and like it because you have no right to complain since there's starving people in the world that would love to have that food.

I hope the next time you dine out your food tastes like womprat arse with a used Band-Aid and hair in it, then when you complain about it someone from the adjacent table verbally scolds you and tells you to eat it and like it because you have no right to complain since there's starving people in the world that would love to have that food.

Bogus analogy - what kind of restaurants do you have in your town? If it tasted like womprat arse, you just wouldn't eat their anymore, you wouldn't keep eating there and giving them more money, all the while criticising and hoping the food will get better.

I think you mean it's more like McDonalds - you go there, the kids like it, you know it's not good for you, but you somehow keep finding yourself going back. And the food is always as you expect it to be. And unless there's an actual rat in your burger (which surprisingly doesn't happen all that often) you don't complain.

Edited by CrazyCT

Bogus analogy - what kind of restaurants do you have in your town? If it tasted like womprat arse, you just wouldn't eat their anymore, you wouldn't keep eating there and giving them more money, all the while criticising and hoping the food will get better.

I think you mean it's more like McDonalds - you go there, the kids like it, you know it's not good for you, but you somehow keep finding yourself going back. And the food is always as you expect it to be. And unless there's an actual rat in your burger (which surprisingly doesn't happen all that often) you don't complain.

Regardless of the analogy to tell ppl that don't like the story that they have no right to criticize it because they paid for it is absurd.

Regardless of the analogy to tell ppl that don't like the story that they have no right to criticize it because they paid for it is absurd.

If you don't like the story, don't play it. I don't like Harry Potter or Twilight - guess how many of those books I have bought? I'm not going to write to JK Rowling and tell her to change it cause I don't like it.

If you don't like the story, don't play it. I don't like Harry Potter or Twilight - guess how many of those books I have bought? I'm not going to write to JK Rowling and tell her to change it cause I don't like it.

The difference is there are literally thousands of other books for you to read and move on to read a good story if you didn't enjoy that book. However their is literally only a single star wars MMO to play at the moment, so people are going to be a lot more less inclined to leave knowing this is one of a kind. Not to mention star wars is the second most famous IP in the world and INCREDIBLY popular amongst almost everyone.

Not to mention it takes more than a single dislike in a particular area to stop reasoning wanting to play the entire game. I may slog through the gameplay if the story is great or vice versa, however it's getting harder to do so with this one size fits all shoehorned approach.

Video games are also subject to numerous changes based on personal feedback, unlike books which stay stagnant forever. While later books can be more influenced based on the feedback, ones done is done for books, so that analogy at the end doesn't hold its weight.

People are free to give back feedback on what they like/dislike in the game, because video games, especially MMOs, are subject to change and will change depending on how much feedback is given. Also complaining about one thing =/= disliking the entire game.

Regarding part of the OPS post

While at least also fixing harmful ones (like soloing World Bosses).

I don't see how soloing world bosses was harmful. I did it and didn't see an issue with it, can someone explain this?

I don't see how soloing world bosses was harmful. I did it and didn't see an issue with it, can someone explain this?

It ruins the fun factor and world bosses were probably intended to be a prerequisite to operations. Not to mention its annoying to get a group of 8-16 to smash gargath yet a single bounty hunter swoops in and steals it.

Yes, the same people timing, camping and farming them were the very root of the problem. Sure, kill the world boss and get your achievement/weekly and move on. What you do not do is kill that same world boss 5 times in a row just because you can or to farm materials, giving nobody else a fair turn to get their achievement/weekly done. Making wb group events keeps the balance and nerfs farming.

It ruins the fun factor and world bosses were probably intended to be a prerequisite to operations. Not to mention its annoying to get a group of 8-16 to smash gargath yet a single bounty hunter swoops in and steals it.

Yes, the same people timing, camping and farming them were the very root of the problem. Sure, kill the world boss and get your achievement/weekly and move on. What you do not do is kill that same world boss 5 times in a row just because you can or to farm materials, giving nobody else a fair turn to get their achievement/weekly done. Making wb group events keeps the balance and nerfs farming.

I get it now, thanks for explaining that.