Dropping my sub thanks to KOTFE proving there is only the Omni-Story now

Transairion

Leaving aside all of the "can i have ur stuff lol?", "Just quit already!" nonsense, the OP makes some very good points about the turn the storyline has taken. I'm also going through the KotFE story as a Trooper and I've actually quite enjoyed the first 11 chapters. 11 was especially cool, reuniting with Jorgan and going on a very Trooper-like mission. There were times where the overall KotFE story stretched my "I'm just a soldier doing my job" mindset but it was fine.

Until Chapter XII.

By the time I started talking to Satele I distinctly remember thinking, "This chapter should have been called, 'Chapter XII: You Should Have Rolled a Jedi'". Using a jet pack to hop from training pole to training pole... OK, sure. The flips were a bit much but BW's resources are limited and making two different types of leaping animations just wasn't feasible. Floating weapon components? Er, well, probably just Satele and Marr aiding you in the construction since Troopers can't use the Force. Taming small creatures after opening a holocron? Uuuuuhh... Maybe BW should have put in a little training robot to help non-Force Users instead. Valkorian left part of his power inside your head making you somewhat Force sensitive? I NEED AN ADULT! I mean... He probably isn't completely gone, anyway, just wants us to think he is. You can now placate huge creatures after slaughtering their children with good feels.......? *facepalm and sigh* Yeah, no. Justification only goes so far.

It's pretty clear this storyline was tailored around Force Users, no matter what the devs said in their last livecast thing. And despite what all the people in this thread say about just not playing if we don't like it, that's not an acceptable answer. I, personally, love this game and have no intention of quitting it in spite of the disappointing turn the story has taken. Are you telling me that, with all the talent BW has on its staff they don't have the capability to write a story where your character can be pivotal and topple this Emperor without being a Force User? If so, that's just sad.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed with the writing of a story, especially one where you were previously very invested in the characters. If BW can only afford to produce one story-on-rails from now on then they should at least put forth the effort to make it fit with ALL the types of characters players can choose from, not just a select portion of them. I don't think that's too much to ask from them as a player, even if there wasn't a monthly subscription cost.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like the story, don't play it. I don't like Harry Potter or Twilight - guess how many of those books I have bought? I'm not going to write to JK Rowling and tell her to change it cause I don't like it.

now that's a "Bogus Analogy"

Edited by TKMaster

OP has a point. The story so far in KOTFE is laughable for a non-FS character.

Yeah, it works for Jedi and Sith, but for my BH? My IA? Nope. I ran my Sorc through it, my BH is stuck in chapter 3 because I see no point in getting to this new chapter. My IA will likely never even begin with it.

Crap writing is crap writing, no matter how hard you try to polish it and the writing so far has been "meh".

Edited by Diefenbaker

now that's a "Bogus Analogy"

What part of the analogy was bogus? I was comparing 2 different media for presenting stories. Someone complaining about the story in this game is no different to complaining about a story in a novel. It's the writers story, and their choice what to write. If you don't like the story, that's fine, but don't expect that writing a complaint is going to get the writer to change their story just to please you.

What part of the analogy was bogus? I was comparing 2 different media for presenting stories. Someone complaining about the story in this game is no different to complaining about a story in a novel. It's the writers story, and their choice what to write. If you don't like the story, that's fine, but don't expect that writing a complaint is going to get the writer to change their story just to please you.

The difference is there are literally thousands of other books for you to read and move on to read a good story if you didn't enjoy that book. However their is literally only a single star wars MMO to play at the moment, so people are going to be a lot more less inclined to leave knowing this is one of a kind. Not to mention star wars is the second most famous IP in the world and INCREDIBLY popular amongst almost everyone.

Video games are also subject to numerous changes based on personal feedback, unlike books which stay stagnant forever. While later books can be more influenced based on the feedback, ones done is done for books, so that analogy at the end doesn't hold its weight.

/5char

The difference is there are literally thousands of other books for you to read and move on to read a good story if you didn't enjoy that book. However their is literally only a single star wars MMO to play at the moment, so people are going to be a lot more less inclined to leave knowing this is one of a kind. Not to mention star wars is the second most famous IP in the world and INCREDIBLY popular amongst almost everyone.

It's the writers story, and their choice what to write. If you don't like the story, that's fine, but don't expect that writing a complaint is going to get the writer to change their story just to please you.

/5char (Are you typing /5char cause you think it means /dropmic or something now? If you didn't have anything further to add to the discussion, you could have just said.)

There are literally thousands of other games for you to play. Will you stick with this even if you hate the story just because it is Star Wars? If the next Star Wars MMO put you in the boots of Darth JarJar and had you flopping your way around the galaxy, would you still pay to play that, just because it had the logo attached to it? That's some good brand loyalty there.

I'm pretty sure the story is written up quite some time before they bring it out. It has to go through editing, past the Disney and EA bigwigs and censors, then casting, voice acting, animation, and a few other steps I've probably overlooked. That it got leaked on Twitter by someone that they were excited because they were in the studio recording the voices for Season 2 a good few weeks back, makes me think that they have already written the script for that too.

But I'm sure they'll take a look at a couple of forum posts, and scrub all that work, go back and do a rewrite, get the actors back in the studio............and so on.

/5char (Are you typing /5char cause you think it means /dropmic or something now? If you didn't have anything further to add to the discussion, you could have just said.)

There are literally thousands of other games for you to play. Will you stick with this even if you hate the story just because it is Star Wars? If the next Star Wars MMO put you in the boots of Darth JarJar and had you flopping your way around the galaxy, would you still pay to play that, just because it had the logo attached to it? That's some good brand loyalty there.

I'm pretty sure the story is written up quite some time before they bring it out. It has to go through editing, past the Disney and EA bigwigs and censors, then casting, voice acting, animation, and a few other steps I've probably overlooked. That it got leaked on Twitter by someone that they were excited because they were in the studio recording the voices for Season 2 a good few weeks back, makes me think that they have already written the script for that too.

But I'm sure they'll take a look at a couple of forum posts, and scrub all that work, go back and do a rewrite, get the actors back in the studio............and so on.

As I stated before, it takes more than one thing to simply stop people playing the game depending on their interests. The story is okay... the gameplay imo is terrible, but great voice acting, music, and it has a star wars IP... not to mention star wars games have been on a drought the past few years, its not until recently we got some, and so far at least, their all terrible. Depending on a number of factors I may very well play as darth jar jar... it will be interesting honestly, but if the gameplay sucks along with the story, then I probably wont play it more than once, if at all.

You will be surprised how often people listen to there fan base when it comes to certain aspects of the game, in the past they shown they actually care for the game and listened when we wanted player housing and space combat. For whatever reason their going into this sole focus story mode and not caring about any feedback once so ever.

I will admit story is probably one that isn't going to change easily, if at all, but surely other things will if given enough feedback.

From what I've seen, there appears to be absolutely no reason to take most non-Force-using characters through KotFE, it's clearly written with Force-users in mind, and perhaps even the JK and SW specifically, as those are the two characters who've longest had a "special interaction" with the Viti-korian.

Now, if a player feels that one of their particular "non-Force" characters has been a latent "Force-sensitive" all along, as part of their personal expanded story for that particular personal character, then more power to them, and they're welcome to play through KotFE on that character if they enjoy it.

But let's not pretend that the typical BH, IA, Smug, or Troop is "really Force sensitive after all" and isn't being blatantly shoe-horned into a one-size-fits-none storyline.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

• 3 weeks later...

You forgot the part where Satele tell the trooper they have no clue how to lead people then proceed to bring up topics that any boot in basic would have a grasp of "teamwork, retreat, advance etc." yes, a distinguished veteran republic special forces colonel who did just that on Corellia and other places suddenly aren't able to understand such advanced tactics, teach me everything you know about leading an army oh almighty pacifist nun-lady!

And the dialogue of itself is hamfisted and stupid, I mean really dumbed down, compared to the previous content it reads like a ten year old wrote it some times.

Edit: this also goes against what they said before sw:tor was released, suddenly being non-force users isn't good enough, that's not what we were told back in 2010.

Edited by Nizzemancer

See, that is the problem.. people think paying a subscription gives them a say in how the game is presented to them. It's does not. Paying a subscription entitles you to play the game "as is". It is even in the terms and conditions that you agree to accept it "as-is" with no warranty or say on current or future content. Just because a player has an expectation =/= a right to unbridled negativity and criticism.

I give the OP more credit then I do you because he is at least walking his talk and taking a break from the game because he does not enjoy it. That is in fact the only remedy a player has with an MMO. I have done so myself in the past. All the barking in the world will not make the neighborhood in the likeness that someone desires.

"Yes hello, I pay a monthly subscription for National Geographic and all I got was MTV!"

People have a right to say their mind when the quality of a product they pay for takes a nosedive

"Yes hello, I pay a monthly subscription for National Geographic and all I got was MTV!"

People have a right to say their mind when the quality of a product they pay for takes a nosedive

Shhhh don't say that, any negative comments makes you a hostile and miserable sack of existence and shows your true colors, and you can only say positive things about the game.

You forgot the part where Satele tell the trooper they have no clue how to lead people then proceed to bring up topics that any boot in basic would have a grasp of "teamwork, retreat, advance etc." yes, a distinguished veteran republic special forces colonel who did just that on Corellia and other places suddenly aren't able to understand such advanced tactics, teach me everything you know about leading an army oh almighty pacifist nun-lady!

To be fair the trooper may know these things from leading a squad, but at the end of the day he was in charge of 4 men and a droid not a entire army. The trooper is used to being on the front lines doing the impossible which is completely different from having to plan ops and have someone else lead it.

A single squad leader can lead troops into fighting individual trees but a leader needs to see the entire forest.

To be fair the trooper may know these things from leading a squad, but at the end of the day he was in charge of 4 men and a droid not a entire army. The trooper is used to being on the front lines doing the impossible which is completely different from having to plan ops and have someone else lead it.

A single squad leader can lead troops into fighting individual trees but a leader needs to see the entire forest.

You're nitpicking and ignoring the main point of his post, that the chapter was written in a very narrow way that seems to apply to a type of character that the Trooper and Smuggler (and Bounty Hunter and Agent) clearly aren't. It was poorly done when the past 11 chapters made a good effort to be applicable to any brand of hero. I only hope that it isn't a sign of a new direction that the rest of the chapters are going to go in. This isn't a Skywalker going against the Emperor type of story for a good portion of us. It would be unfortunate if that's what it turned into.

Edited by Sarathis