Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

Seeing that I am not defending the expansion in any way, but rather debunk the argument that is still floating around as a half-truth saying, I have no issue with that. And I was not the one claiming that.

The heavy status of two-three servers during the expansion release was a mix of Star Wars hype, a new shiny expansion, and a fancy CGI trailer. That growth was never any indication of a long-lasting subscriber increase, and I believe that this is the way forward. We will see another spike in August-September when the summer draws to an end and the whole story with all the new features is out (EC, alerts, and the new warzone), as well as when the hype for a new SW movie is strongest early 2017.

What I am saying is this: We cannot clearly state that the population on the main servers has heavily declined since early January just by the server capacity. It might be roughly the same amount of long-term veterans playing the game, but they do not task the new server as much as they did the old one.

I don't believe that we saw an increase in long-term subscription as compared to 2-3 months in a year subscribers, but the argument that we reach Standard instead of Heavy to be an indication of impending doom is not true.

I agree -- I was just pointing out another example of how "but the server load!" without examining the details can be a poor argument.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't say whether the game is succeeding or drifting into oblivion. However, I do know that my own personal satisfaction with the game comes at a cost of lowering expectations.

So long as I don't expect very much, I can be satisfied and continue to play.

I don't expect upcoming chapters to be lengthy or sophisticated.

I don't expect any significant replay value in KotFE.

I don't expect new group content of any kind whatsoever in the near future.

I don't expect the additional content (such as TEC) to be released on time or in a working state.

At the moment, I've actually had more fun replaying the original 8 class storylines (vanilla game) on a new server without my established legacy. It's been over 3 years since I've seen most of the class stories, and I figured I'd give it another go.

Plus I've been having fun running GF flashpoints while leveling -- I've yet to encounter a single one I couldn't complete, even on lowbie toons with classes I'm not very good at.

So there's that.

But 4.0 all on it's lonesome? Doesn't really do it for me.

Edited by Khevar

My mains are on Shadowlands and we're fine over there. Two guilds, Imp and Pub, anywhere from 5 to 15 people on after 3pm EST (it's an east coast server), and we're not collectively feeling like the game is draining away to nothing. We're on our voice chat, asking each other to hey want to do some heroics or search out datacrons or whatever, and we're fine.

Oh. Wait. We're all PVE types. Decorating my strongholds is an aspect of the game. I like doing it.

And running through the countryside and enjoying the scenery on Alderaan, just going through the world. Anyone remember doing that? Just enjoying the worlds for what they were, a diversion, an escape? Time was, back in 1999 when EQ came out, it was fun just to walk around and see things, even with the crappy cardboard cut-out graphics.

Oh! And then of course people asking in guild chat to do things, and we do.

And oh yeah, and for more content choices, one of our members is having a grand old time now getting his faction up on various planets so he can buy the armor/schematics on them. He's motivating me to do some of that, too. My faction's only legendary on three planets. I'm such a slacker in that regard.

And crafting is fun, I like getting my six crafters up, getting artifact recipes. I'll drop a few color crystals on the GTN every now and then for 35-50K each depending on the day. Prices do fluctuate, after all.

Stopping what I'm doing because a newbie needs help getting through a quest, or answering questions about how the game works is enjoyable too, sharing is fun, and it's rewarding to know I'm helping increase someone else's enjoyment in the game by showing them more content.

Star fortresses. Hard mode ops. Flashpoints. Story lines. Side quests. Unlocking crates and putting ridiculous-looking outfits on my companions (what's the deal with the red helmet with the wings? Perfect for Aric!).

So much to do! So many different aspects of the game to enjoy, and enjoy with others, without PVP. Fascinating concept, isn't it?

Game dead?

No.

Game dead in six months?

No.

Anyone twisting your arm behind your back to play?

No.

Despite not noticing a decline yourself, it is happening.

My mains are on Shadowlands and we're fine over there. .

Woohoo!! Reppin' the Shadowlands! :cool:

I transferred over from EH and haven't looked back. Friendly guilds and other players willing to lend a hand.

OP, I really hope you can find a core group to join you in your PvP stuffs. I just know our server probably isn't where you'll find it. :t_angel:

Harby never really did, but it's getting them lately. That's what has some of us concerned.

Haven't noticed any decline in OPs on JC. Now if your talking about using the GF for OPs, that is the problem. Most people form up on fleet for GF daily OPs then enter the group finder. Not sure if it is the same on harbinger.

SWTOR comes to place where this game should be. They need to merge servers into 1 with good reserve space(for newcomers on week-two with new big expansion), to prevent more players out, coz other servers population. From MMORPG they wants to cr8 sinle-player RPG based on story telling with MMO elements (see something like co-op).

So sadly this or not population will grow down. There is too many servers for this type of the game and the last population trend shows its.

Edited by helpmewin

I don't think one big server is the answer for anything, and here's why:

People decline group invites on Taris to do the rhakghoul heroics, so you wind up standing in line for mobs the way it is, because on these higher-capacity servers now, new maps are less likely to open up for us to switch to them to get the mobs. A guildie of mine was in voice chat with me just last night saying two other people were camping the same boss mob he wanted and they were unwilling to group even to do just that little bit of content.

I can't imagine people's behavior will change when more people want the same mob, it'll just mean more people standing around waiting for either:

(1) the other people to finish or

(2) a second map to open up to go to.

A single server would just make that worse. It's nice that yes, occasionally, people do accept my invites or invite me to a group for a heroic mob, especially that one guy in the dark temple that everyone camps on DK. Blessedly nice when that happens, and I do see a small trend to people being more open to doing it, but far too often, people refuse. I don't know what their thinking is when they refuse. It's not like we want to cling to them for next six hours while they play, we just want the convenience of getting through one mob. Even if we're horrible players, our companions are there to make us look competent, so I don't understand.

Wait for 4.3. They will do megaservers (server merge): 2-3 for US (West and East), 3 for EU (Eng, German and French).

'''They are removing server "types" such as PvE server or PvP server. Now, all servers are normalized into just being a "SWTOR server."

There are no server mergers. No removing old servers.

They are just trying to remove any remaining reasons people might have to cling to their dying servers. Now that all servers support all play styles, players on dead servers will be more inclined to move to more populated ones. Even if they are PvP players moving to a server that was once PvE focused.

Now, every server is just going to have a specific instance dedicated to that style of play that you can switch between freely.''

Here's a long-winded, off-topic bump OP.

Anyway,

On SL recently I tried leveling 2 chars from 55 or whatever they were up to the new max and got only got 3 pops total over a few days. Midbies may not be the best measuring stick but still that's not cool or usual.

Harb's the last bastion (ba dum tss) for high-freq. PVP so hopefully isn't taking a dive. Speaking of hope, it would be nice if BW's deadbeat approach has been due to upcoming consolidations or megas. Guess we'll see.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Sorry if I seemed rude :o

Didn't take it that way at all. I enjoy and agree with a bunch of the things you post on these boards. :t_biggrin:

You people are so polite and friendly, it's disgusting, this is GenDis after all, please check the niceness at the door! :D

OT: I'm on T3-M4 and wouldn't say I've noticed much of a decline at all. It's always been tough as a DPS when it comes to GF HM's, but I've learned to live with it.

Shadowlands it's not often I wait for 10 mins or more for a queue pop. Mostly play during the weekday. Rare to see me online in the evenings.

Many from SL moved to Garbinger. I get asked weekly when I'm moving my healers there. I really have no interest in moving. Higher ping, quantity doesn't mean quality player base. :rolleyes:

Leave the game, you won't be missed. Nothing will change. Every server is seeing a bleed. There's other games out there.

As I was reading, I was wondering if you were talking something like hour long queues. Then I got to the end and saw it was only 10 minutes...LOL

wtfc

Look, I'm not into PvP much, I suck, I'm just not good enough at it. However, some people do and I respect that. Imagine waiting 10 minutes for a FP queue. Heck no, I'd be out too.

Edited by richiesilva

I don't think one big server is the answer for anything, and here's why:

People decline group invites on Taris to do the rhakghoul heroics, so you wind up standing in line for mobs the way it is, because on these higher-capacity servers now, new maps are less likely to open up for us to switch to them to get the mobs. A guildie of mine was in voice chat with me just last night saying two other people were camping the same boss mob he wanted and they were unwilling to group even to do just that little bit of content.

I can't imagine people's behavior will change when more people want the same mob, it'll just mean more people .

That is a valid concern. It would be fixed by multiple instances. I propose 3 Servers for North America, 1 East Coast, 1 West Coast, 1 RP server

So what is it the OP expects EA/bioware to do? You want them to force everyone to PVP 24/7 just so YOU don't have to wait an extra few minutes for a que? Here's a novel idea, go PVE while you wait. run some missions, craft some thing while you wait. Chat with people in your guild (if you have one, if not get one). To get on here and complain that you are going quit unless the wait time gets down to your acceptable standards is ridiculous and honestly extremely selfish. Throw another tantrum, im sure EA/bioware will surely give in if you just hold your breath long enough!

So what is it the OP expects EA/bioware to do? You want them to force everyone to PVP 24/7 just so YOU don't have to wait an extra few minutes for a que? Here's a novel idea, go PVE while you wait. run some missions, craft some thing while you wait. Chat with people in your guild (if you have one, if not get one). To get on here and complain that you are going quit unless the wait time gets down to your acceptable standards is ridiculous and honestly extremely selfish. Throw another tantrum, im sure EA/bioware will surely give in if you just hold your breath long enough!

I have no idea what the OP would like, but here's my list:

• New Ops every 6-8 months

• New WZ's yearly (2-3) and a serious attempt at balance in PvP - adjust Expertise per class so PvE is unaffected

• New daily/heroic areas every 4-6 months - make these story centric

• Quality and pride in their work

That's all...that would fill the servers again.

• New Ops every 6-8 months

• New WZ's yearly (2-3) and a serious attempt at balance in PvP - adjust Expertise per class so PvE is unaffected

• New daily/heroic areas every 4-6 months - make these story centric

And the issue still remains: There is no money for that. Whether that is Bioware's fault or simply EA unwilling to spend money on the game is a topic for an ad infinitum discussion. The simple fact is: Bioware is working on a tight budget. An even tighter budget now that we are moving into another "Star Wars movie drought". EA will eventually spend a bit of money on this game as the new movie draws close once again, but for now, I think Bioware needs to manage resourced accordingly. As soon as the advertisement for Rogue One is in full swing by the end of summer, I think EA might be prone enough to throw another 200k-300k bone to Bioware inbetween all the marketing, but that's it.

If story missions and alerts currently have the highest ROI, then that is what Bioware will do. EA has seen that this game can boost short-term sales. They aren't trying to make this a game with a high turnout of subscribers for the whole year. The current course seems rather simple: Continue with a second season for another full year, and then maybe add a third season if August-October proves to be useful.

As much as I dislike the lack of new operations as an operations player: I understand that Bioware has to manage their resources accordingly. Developing said content takes money to pay a good team of developers. Money that - at least until August - Bioware simply doesn't have on their account.

And even if we get a new operation at the end of the year: That will be the only operation for a year. And two - three warzones per year is insane. Not even WoW has that much of a turnout.

We've been stomping our feet on the ground for six months now, but there was seemingly no reaction. And we can continue with that behaviour ad nauseam, there won't be any. If there is no money, then the matter is sealed. It seems continuing with chapters and CM sales (whales) ad infinitum has the highest ROI for EA and Bioware.

Edited by Alssaran

Look, I'm not into PvP much, I suck, I'm just not good enough at it. However, some people do and I respect that. Imagine waiting 10 minutes for a FP queue. Heck no, I'd be out too.

I've waited 45 minutes or more on a DPS for a FP queue to pop. My then guild leader and I waited 45 mins goof off on our ships waiting for a FP, got tired of waiting, swapped toons to a tank/healer combo and the queue popped in less than 30 seconds. We'd have been in sooner but one of the DPS apparently fell asleep waiting for the pop. Being a DPS, along with the (very hyperbolic) over 9000 other DPS and waiting for a tank and healer to actually hit the queue isn't an indication that the game is dying. It's an indication that tanks and healers are in very high demand, and most of them stick to guild/premade groups for HMs/Op content.

I've waited 45 minutes or more on a DPS for a FP queue to pop. My then guild leader and I waited 45 mins goof off on our ships waiting for a FP, got tired of waiting, swapped toons to a tank/healer combo and the queue popped in less than 30 seconds. We'd have been in sooner but one of the DPS apparently fell asleep waiting for the pop. Being a DPS, along with the (very hyperbolic) over 9000 other DPS and waiting for a tank and healer to actually hit the queue isn't an indication that the game is dying. It's an indication that tanks and healers are in very high demand, and most of them stick to guild/premade groups for HMs/Op content.

Yes, but PvP doesn't need to wait for healers or tanks. PvP is all around not attracting people.