Petition for Matchmaking and Cross Server Queues [Comment or Sign Please]

Lhancelot

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has probably already been mentioned, but I didn't read through all 14 pages

Cross server won't fix the mismatch of groups. It's simple maths - If all the servers have an average of 75% Imps, then cross server will still have 75% Imps, if there's an average of 60% chance of getting pitted against a pre-made group, it will still be 60%, if you have an average 20 minutes wait time, you will still have a 20 minute wait time. The only difference will be that you will be playing against more new people.

That said, it WILL benefit people who are on a poor server for PvP - if your wait time is a lot longer than the others, your wait time will be reduced, but to do that, the better servers will have to have a longer wait time to compensate.

For US players, cross-server will actually be detrimental half the time. You could get pitted against a team on the East coast servers, when you are West coast, and as everyone knows, "guns don't kill people, lag kills people".

But anyway

/signed ;)

Edited by CrazyCT

I live on the east coast and play on the west coast servers most of the time.

I get around 80 - 100 ms so I don't think it would hurt us that much.

Will it still be 80-100ms if there's more traffic on the server because of the PvP? Maybe I'm wrong

Will it still be 80-100ms if there's more traffic on the server because of the PvP? Maybe I'm wrong

Not entirely sure, but I get the same ms no matter how populated the server is.

It doesn't change on fleet or in matches.

It only changes when my internet gets retarded.

Not entirely sure, but I get the same ms no matter how populated the server is.

It doesn't change on fleet or in matches.

It only changes when my internet gets retarded.

Yeah, but with cross-server you will have all the people that play on it normally, plus any people who are playing PvP from another server. Both servers will have to communicate with each other as well as the people playing.

Simplified network diagram, rather than having P-S-P (where P is the player and S is the server), you will have P-S-S-P , or even P-S-M-S-P, with M being a "main" PvP server that will be in control of the matches. Add in that you could potentially have 16 players from 16 different servers and you see how even a 30ms lag per connection can go full on "Gremlin in a swimming pool"

Edited by CrazyCT

Yeah, but with cross-server you will have all the people that play on it normally, plus any people who are playing PvP from another server. Both servers will have to communicate with each other as well as the people playing.

Simplified network diagram, rather than having P-S-P (where P is the player and S is the server), you will have P-S-S-P , or even P-S-M-S-P, with M being a "main" PvP server that will be in control of the matches. Add in that you could potentially have 16 players from 16 different servers and you see how even a 30ms lag per connection can go full on "Gremlin in a swimming pool"

Fair enough, that would add latency.

I suppose there is a better way of doing it, maybe a megaserver to just get this over with and clear out POT5 and others like it.

Fair enough, that would add latency.

I suppose there is a better way of doing it, maybe a megaserver to just get this over with and clear out POT5 and others like it.

That sounds better, but it leads to problems with PvP on the other servers. Do they just get rid of PvP from other servers and if you want to play PvP you have to transfer your character onto the new mega-server? Will it still have other aspects - PvE story and GSF, or even a GTN - or just be a purely PvP server? What happens when there's a level cap raise? Do you level up through the PvP, or have to transfer the character back and forth?

I'm not trying to shoot down this idea, I'm just pointing out obstacles. If we can all agree on how we would want it, it would make presenting the case a lot stronger.

That sounds better, but it leads to problems with PvP on the other servers. Do they just get rid of PvP from other servers and if you want to play PvP you have to transfer your character onto the new mega-server? Will it still have other aspects - PvE story and GSF, or even a GTN - or just be a purely PvP server? What happens when there's a level cap raise? Do you level up through the PvP, or have to transfer the character back and forth?

I'm not trying to shoot down this idea, I'm just pointing out obstacles. If we can all agree on how we would want it, it would make presenting the case a lot stronger.

No, I mean merging all the servers that are left or maybe merging all the west coast and east coast servers to 1 or 2 servers.

I'm not familiar with the EU servers so I won't say anything about those. Language barrier and all that noise.

I'm not familiar with the EU servers so I won't say anything about those. Language barrier and all that noise.

The current language separation of the servers is impractical and I will be surprised if it is representative of the language groups of the player base. I will be very surprised if it is not driven by legalese.

Edited by DomiSotto

Yes, I am aware. But the language three-way split, then the server purpose split divides the player base a lot, and folks can easily join the guilds to communicate in the preferred language. Same with the server play-styles in NAM. (Shrug) I honestly think those divisions are out of date and should come under revision ASAP instead of the 90 cc transfers.

Organized PvP is done everywhere, you don't need a pvp server for it.

not just organized, but sponteneously as well. don't tell what i "don't need," there's still many of us that like being on a pvp server. forcing me to play on a PvE server is one of the few things that will make me unsub from this game and not come back.

There needs to be, at the very least, a class/spec MM for regs.

I've been sent into an arena on a team with 4 dps vs 2 tanks and 2 healers... WHY couldn't the game just evenly split those teams? No one was in a 4-man premade there.

Or even just teams of 4/8 dps/tank vs a team with more than one healer, why is it that we can't get a MM where at the very least, if there are multiple healers in que, one team will at least get ONE of those healers? Instead of all 3 going to one team?

Cross server ques would only help... literally everything, not just pvp.