Commendation Changes in 4.0

EricMusco

You have one object called an "elite comm" and a second object called a "___ crystal". If I had 4 of the first, I'll have 4 of the second. Your latter example is still one object.

It's not "creating ambiguity", it may not be an ambiguity that is shared.

"Simply put, only the names of some existing Commendations are changing."

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have one object called an "elite comm" and a second object called a "___ crystal". If I had 4 of the first, I'll have 4 of the second. Your latter example is still one object.

It's not "creating ambiguity", it may not be an ambiguity that is shared.

There is no ambiguity in Eric Musco's post. If any exists for you, it is indeed of your own imagining.

How exactly does this help us plan?

Because it avoids people panicking and going "WHAT!?!?!?! WHERE DID ALL MY ULTIMATE COMMS GO AND WHAT THE HECK IS A RADIANT DATA CRYSTAL!?!?!?!?!?!"

Anyone want to put bets on how many people do this in the first week anyway?

How about how many times the question, "Which is better glowing or radiant?" is asked on fleet during the first week (or the average per week after that)?

I'm sure there's a reason for the name change, it just seems like the new names may be slightly less intuitive than "basic, elite, and ultimate".

Edited by DJZod

They're not going to zero out the amount of comms you have. But if there is no conversion rate then they will probably add more types of comms in 4.0 and have the current ones buy the gear they buy now and the new ones buy new gear. Which explains the name change a hell of a lot better than a fluff reason about naming of rewards. Basic, Elite and Ultimate didn't leave a lot of room for adding multiple new types for better gear. It also stops people stockpiling the current comms to buy full sets of new gear when the expansion drops.

They're not going to zero out the amount of comms you have.

I agree they will not, if they would they could have stepped in while back when we discussed it and corrected it.

So now even I believe there will be no reset of comms :tran_smile:

Edited by Icestar

Hey folks,

• Basic Commendations will now be called Common Data Crystals
  • Elite Commendations will now be called Glowing Data Crystals
  • Ultimate Commendations will now be called Radiant Data Crystals
  • All other Commendation names remain the same.

Okay. My question is this: Why? New players are clueless enough (and I do try to help them), but this is a pointless, arbitrary change, and the terminology you've opted to go with is Crystals. CRYSTALS. The one thing most new players ask about, because there are no good sources for usable color crystals outside of the Cartel Market (and its packs) or Artifice. Mind you, I'm not saying change artifice, I'm not saying 'add crystal vendors', because that would utterly gut yet another profession.

I'm saying WHY did somebody think CRYSTALS was a good f'ing idea to use as the new term, when there was no need to change something that worked perfectly well already in place?

Change for the sake of improvement is a good, welcome thing. Change merely for the sake of change is a waste of time and an added difficulty as people try to grok WTH is going on around them. This does not better or 'streamline' any end-user experience in any way whatsoever. It adds another obvious avenue for confusion.

Why? Does the current system make too much sense, and you feel you have to eff it up needlessly?

Changing a name of something doesn't mess anything up. it's a name change. nothing is happening to ur comms. You'll just log on after patch and see they are called something else - which for lore purposes makes sense. Many things changed in the galaxy during the time you were asleep, so when you wake things changed - including currencies. It makes perfect sense. But as far as game functionality, NOTHING is changing except a bit of text in your UI.

Someone pass some of these people the tin foil hats. Sheez.

ou'll just log on after patch and see they are called something else - which for lore purposes makes sense. Many things changed in the galaxy during the time you were asleep, so when you wake things changed - including currencies. It makes perfect sense.

Yeah sure, and you will get the same new currency while leveling before the events that introduce this new currency happen lul. Perfect sense

They're not going to zero out the amount of comms you have.

Why not ?

If you think about it, "no conversion rate" makes more sense if you start with 0 crystals, because if you currently have 200 ultimate comms and then when 4.0 hits you start with 200 Radiant Crystals then they actually did convert one to another, at a 1:1 rate, but they are in fact saying there are no conversion rates or anything.

• 3 weeks later...
What will happen to the commendation boxes we received in 3.0? Will they give the new basic crystals or just become useless?

Nobody knows, we have to find out tomorrow.

I have a few of those aswell, I hope they will be useful after the expansion.