Commendation Changes in 4.0

EricMusco

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. no reply on whether or not we're keeping what we've got? No conversion rate could mean we're keeping what we've got, or it could mean all of them will become basic (1:1) and any overflow is lost or converted to credits (Wow used to do it that way), or it could mean a total reset. They basically told us nothing except that they're changing the name to something rather silly. I'd say they're being intentionally Cryptic, but this isn't STO.

Oh, great, you're actually giving us real information now. It's about time, since the early-access release of KotFE is less than a month away! :rolleyes: I feel we have a right to poke some fun at you for waiting this long, but yes, I am glad you finally started giving real and relevant information, though it did take several thousand parsecs. :D

As far as the actual changes you're making, though... why? I think the names we have now are pretty good. Now, don't get me wrong, regardless of any game I play (and regardless of whether it's reasonable or in any way useful) I always obsess over crystals. So, will these name changes affect my behavior? Sadly, they actually probably will. However, I highly doubt a whole lot of players have the same weird and wacky obsession with crystals as I do, so I'm quite unsure as to the reasoning behind this decision. It's not like it makes any more sense lore-wise. Yes, it did seem kinda stupid that the vendors for your factions had these items all along but you, one of the most skilled and experienced individuals in your faction, had to pay some stupid currency to the vendors in your own freakin fleet.

But, data crystals don't make any more sense. If the crystals contain information on how to create the items, that makes sense, but only until you think about it. If that's the reasoning, then technically obtaining enough data crystals for a certain piece should 'teach' the vendor how to make that piece, and therefore you'd be able to get an infinite number of that item, if you provided crafting materials (man it would be a way different system). Wait a second...

There is one... ONE single way this could make sense. It would be radical, but it would be very very interesting... perhaps the endgame vendors only sell schematics for these data crystals, and players must craft these items (presumably all BoP) in order to progress through endgame. It would put a big emphasis on crafting (making crafters happy), it would be a refreshing change of pace from the current system (making a lot of players in general happy), and it would certainly explain the change in currency names. I really do hope they do something creative like that. The only downside (and a very significant one) is that it would absolutely DESTROY players who main a single character and/or don't focus on crafting and/or simply don't have the toons for all six crafting skills and/or don't have the credits for supplies (poor scrubs :D)

Edited by idnewton

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about what changes are coming to Commendations in Fallen Empire, this way you can plan accordingly. Simply put, only the names of some existing Commendations are changing. There are no conversion rates or anything this time around.

• Basic Commendations will now be called Common Data Crystals
  • Elite Commendations will now be called Glowing Data Crystals
  • Ultimate Commendations will now be called Radiant Data Crystals
  • All other Commendation names remain the same.

Again, there are no conversion rates pre/post Fallen Empire. Thanks!

-eric

Why??

Why?

That's a complete waste of time and effort when they should be focusing on more important stuff.

It literally would take one or two minutes to make those changes. The 3.0 commendation names are very good and simple, and these are rather odd and obscure, leading me to believe that they're changing something else which will explain this change.

I think the names we have now are pretty good. Now, don't get me wrong, regardless of any game I play (and regardless of whether it's reasonable or in any way useful) I always obsess over crystals. So, will these name changes affect my behavior? Sadly, they actually probably will. However, I highly doubt a whole lot of players have the same weird and wacky obsession with crystals as I do, so I'm quite unsure as to the reasoning behind this decision. It's not like it makes any more sense lore-wise. Yes, it did seem kinda stupid that the vendors for your factions had these items all along but you, one of the most skilled and experienced individuals in your faction, had to pay some stupid currency to the vendors in your own freakin fleet.

But, data crystals don't make any more sense. If the crystals contain information on how to create the items, that makes sense, but only until you think about it. If that's the reasoning, then technically obtaining enough data crystals for a certain piece should 'teach' the vendor how to make that piece, and therefore you'd be able to get an infinite number of that item, if you provided crafting materials (man it would be a way different system). Wait a second...

There is one... ONE single way this could make sense. It would be radical, but it would be very very interesting... perhaps the endgame vendors only sell schematics for these data crystals, and players must craft these items (presumably all BoP) in order to progress through endgame. It would put a big emphasis on crafting (making crafters happy), it would be a refreshing change of pace from the current system (making a lot of players in general happy), and it would certainly explain the change in currency names. I really do hope they do something creative like that. The only downside (and a very significant one) is that it would absolutely DESTROY players who main a single character and/or don't focus on crafting and/or simply don't have the toons for all six crafting skills and/or don't have the credits for supplies (poor scrubs :D)

"No conversion rates" can mean one of two things:

1. You will keep your comms as-is, so there is no conversion.

2. All of your comms will be reset to zero, so there is no conversion.

I'm thinking that it's going to be #2.

Maybe....

3. New Currency to purchase new stuff (Name not shared yet) - making current comms for old stuff only

4. No new purchasable "Comm Gear" for (Next tier) with Comms (Or crystals now)

I would like to ask Eric what happens to the 99 basic commendation lock-boxes you get after starting Rishi...

I have a few of those saved up...

Would they still give you (presumably unusable) basic comms or would they grant you 99 Common Data Crystals after 4.0?

From a story point of view, this makes a lot of sense to me in a revolutionary theater where both sides combat a greater foe. Perhaps information is now more than ever real power rather than official medallions commending recorded efforts from dual power structures that now barely exist.

"No conversion rates" can mean one of two things:

1. You will keep your comms as-is, so there is no conversion.

2. All of your comms will be reset to zero, so there is no conversion.

I'm thinking that it's going to be #2.

I highly doubt it.
There are no conversion rates or anything this time around.
I believe that would fall under the category of "or anything".
I wanted to let you know about what changes are coming to Commendations in Fallen Empire, this way you can plan accordingly.
There would be nothing to "plan accordingly" for if they're just wiping them all.
Simply put, only the names of some existing Commendations are changing.
Literally every part of his post points away from a change in the quantity of our currencies. I may be unpleasantly surprised, but I find that very unlikely. Edited by idnewton

I highly doubt it. I believe that would fall under the category of "or anything". There would be nothing to "plan accordingly" for if they're just wiping them all. Literally every part of his post points away from a change in the quantity of our currencies. I may be unpleasantly surprised, but I find that very unlikely.

Exactly what this guy says. Everything points out to just a name change. I guess it's time to not spend any comms anymore and when 1 toon is full of all of them just change toons till KoTFE hits :D

Also wondering what will happen to my 99basic comms boxes from Rishi? Not sure if i shall transfer them to other low level toons are keep them. :D

The name change aspect of this post looks like a glaring mis-use of development resources. The litany of trivial bugs that still exist in the game could have been 1 or 2 items shorter...but instead, we decide to rename something that could easily have been left alone?

Next time you want to make a trivial change, how about fixing one of the thousands of places you can still get stuck at in the game...like the spot between SS and UL in ToS.

QFT. The devs' ever increasing focus on fluff does not amuse me. :jawa_frown:

I would like to ask Eric what happens to the 99 basic commendation lock-boxes you get after starting Rishi...

I have a few of those saved up...

Would they still give you (presumably unusable) basic comms or would they grant you 99 Common Data Crystals after 4.0?

WHY is this so hard to understand? Your "99 basic commendation lock-boxes" will turn magically into "99 common data crystal lock-boxes." It's a NAME CHANGE. That's ALL. No ratios. No transfers. No conversions. Jesus!

I'm not by any familar with anything code or game design related, but would changing a few names really constituents much measure of resources? Seems from my novice perspective, wouldn't take much time to perform.

I don't think the name change was purposeless. Maybe its connected to lore (why would you get commendations if your institutions were dissolved? Black market type currencies, like crystals, seems more likely) or it could tie into their new system. Or it could be a change for the sake of change. Who knows. In any case, I really don't think it's worth much of a whine.

As a clarification, "no conversion rate" because it's 1:1 on everything or "no conversion rate" because they will all start at 0?

You're not seriously asking this question, are you?

QFT. The devs' ever increasing focus on fluff does not amuse me. :jawa_frown:

In case you never noticed, this is a game. It's all fluff.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I'm not by any familar with anything code or game design related, but would changing a few names really constituents much measure of resources? Seems from my novice perspective, wouldn't take much time to perform.

I don't think the name change was purposeless. Maybe its connected to lore (why would you get commendations if your institutions were dissolved? Black market type currencies, like crystals, seems more likely) or it could tie into their new system. Or it could be a change for the sake of change. Who knows. In any case, I really don't think it's worth much of a whine.

If they have any clue as to what they're doing (and I realize that not everyone believes this to be the case, but still.. :p), it would be a matter of typing in a different name once and linking towards a different icon once. Comparing this to any kind of effort is indeed rather ludicrous.

They changed the name probably because it fits the KotFE universe better. The Eternal Empire probably renamed the names of the commendation medals to better suit their empire's image. Valkorion's regime uses Data Crystals, while the old Republic/Imperial regimes used Commendations. Edited by TracyJackson

You're not seriously asking this question, are you?

They are technically capable of successfully bending the words in that way, so it is a valid question. However, as I've stated, all evidence does point to the contrary:

I highly doubt it. I believe that would fall under the category of "or anything". There would be nothing to "plan accordingly" for if they're just wiping them all. Literally every part of his post points away from a change in the quantity of our currencies. I may be unpleasantly surprised, but I find that very unlikely.

From a story point of view, this makes a lot of sense to me in a revolutionary theater where both sides combat a greater foe. Perhaps information is now more than ever real power rather than official medallions commending recorded efforts from dual power structures that now barely exist.

This is my guess too. Since supposedly both the Republic and Empire have gotten their collective asses kicked to hell and back. The commendations were great for Pubs and Imps, but we're in Zakuul territory now, son, and they use crystals. Valkorian thought commending peoples with commendations was deplorable, so he kicked *** and took names, while chewing his last piece of bubblegum and decreed 'let there be crystals!' and it came and he saw it was good!

Seriously, I think it's mostly for story lore purposes and changing pictures and names takes them probably 5 minutes compared to fixing a bugged whatever.