Commendation Changes in 4.0

EricMusco

Makes me think back to Tionese Crystals... The memories! :D

I forgot about these, actually. I thought they were called "Tionese commendations" back then.

Irregardful: Thank you for the heads-up: But I would like to ask why there's been a name change. I generally prefer these names, but it just took me by surprise.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even when something's spelled out people ask them to spell it out.

Eric Musco must be employing an atomic powered facepalm at the "Yeah, but what does it really mean?" posts in this thread.

It's like he said "2 + 2 = 4" and people ask "Why is he saying 2 + 2 = 5?"

A few players here are very certain that it is only a name change

A few? All but the most bizarrely paranoid are certain it's just a name change. Sure, they could change their minds, but as it stands now, Eric Musco's post is completely unequivocal.

Are you trolling, now?

Edited by branmakmuffin

Don't care about this to much, saw something like this coming miles away.

What I want to know, is the rumored down grading on planets. Is this true yes or no? If it is, consider me unsubbed. I won't stay subbed to a game where I am being forced to play a way I don't like in solo play. I don't care about ops or fps, downgrade or level up all you want, BUT DON'T TOUCH SOLO PLAY!

for one the scaling of planets would not make sense think about this, as soon as a lvl 60 got to Korriban every low level player would get owned so no I don't see them doing this except in instances such as flashpoints etc.

A few? All but the most bizarrely paranoid are certain it's just a name change. Sure, they could change their minds, but as it stands now, Eric Musco's post is completely unequivocal.

Are you trolling, now?

No I am asking a question, I never troll.

I will however not be surprised that they realise that commendation grind is a timesink and by not removing comms players will gear up much faster then previous expansions.

It's not going to make much of a difference to me personally if they remove them, convert them, or don't even have new gear available. I'm not bothering with the gear grind, same as I haven't for the whole of 3.0. Mainly because the rewards on lots of things have been rubbish and the gear obtainable isn't worth that effort in the first place.

A majority of my characters are either in 186 gear, PvP gear, and one is mainly in 192 gear with a bit of set bonus. Mind you, I really couldn't be bothered with the new operations, and the HM flashpoints were terrible to pug, so that may have something to do with it. Those were pretty much the only way to get Ultimate commendations, or token gear worth anything in 3.0. Neither of which I enjoyed, so didn't see the point.

It has made me realise that, actually, I don't need to bother gearing up to BiS on everything. As long as the stat balance is good and my companions have been geared, it's been fine without that gear. Downside is I'm floating a hell of a lot of Basic / Elite comms.

Will 4.0 be any different? Not concerned. As long as I can play through the story on one character, that's all that I need to do for the whole of 4.0. If gearing is going to be an issue, I'm unlikely to bother.

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about what changes are coming to Commendations in Fallen Empire, this way you can plan accordingly. Simply put, only the names of some existing Commendations are changing. There are no conversion rates or anything this time around.

• Basic Commendations will now be called Common Data Crystals
  • Elite Commendations will now be called Glowing Data Crystals
  • Ultimate Commendations will now be called Radiant Data Crystals
  • All other Commendation names remain the same.

Again, there are no conversion rates pre/post Fallen Empire. Thanks!

-eric

I'm wondering about the name change.... but then I remembered Disney now owns the Star Wars franchise.

:rolleyes:

You know what would have ensured the thread didn't reach double digit pages filled with questions? If the information presented in the yellow post was actually crystal clear. Pun intended.

"We are changing the names of commendations from basic, elite and ultimate to apples, oranges and pears, respectively. You will keep the same number of commendations you had before 4.0 drops. They will simply turn into fruit.

OR

You will NOT keep any of your commendations when they are renamed fruit with the release of 4.0.

Plan accordingly."

The second version doesn't involve conversion. It involves removal. Nothing is not a thing. You don't convert to nothing. You convert from one thing to another thing.

The first version DOES involve conversion - a rate of 1-to-1 across the board.

Eric said there would be no conversion and yet many here are assuming he meant the opposite of what that word means. The question then becomes, did Eric misspeak?

If this information is helping me to plan, should I be maxing out all my toons ultimate comms before 4.0 hits so I can instantly buy top tier gear when I reach 65?

OR

Do I burn off all my comms now, because when 4.0 hits, the counters will be reset to 0?

If every other level increase is any indication, BW does not want me to buy top tier comms gear the same day the expansion drops. If comms are carrying over into data crystals at 1-to-1, people with lots of comms maxed on Alts will insta gear their mains and be skipping the HM flash points and SM ops and jumping into HM ops to start grinding set pieces the moment they ding 65.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

doesn't involve conversion. It involves removal. Nothing is not a thing. You don't convert to nothing. You convert from one thing to another thing.

Actually that's not true, they have grounds to call it a conversion, since it's technically just a 1:0 ratio. It'd be foolish and self-destructive but it is technically possible.

Edited by idnewton

When someone posts something that is utterly without merit, as you did, one is tempted to believe they might be trolling. Thus, my question.

You weren't even talking to me -- it's clear you don't understand the conversation we're having. You originally said that these questions aren't valid because of what BW said, which I disagreed with, citing the grounds BW could use to justify still zeroing our currency numbers.

That said, that does not mean I think they will. I think, as I myself pointed out, that these name changes alone have absolutely no effect on the technical side of the game -- it is visual only. Now, granted, these name changes suggest that BW will be altering the currency acquisition / redeeming system, but that is not directly a part of these specific changes.

Several of my characters still haven't opened the 3 boxes of Basic Comms you get for starting SoR. If I open these after the name change will they properly grant Data Crystals?

No you will most likely get nothing so open now, I say this because when the last change happened I had several mission quests to hand in for rewards. When I picked planetary commendation for rewards I did not get it as it was now basic comm and not planetary comms. OK so only lost abot 20 across all my characters nut 297 is a lot to lose. Even if you don't lose them is it really worth the risk? Better off just buying stuff and sell if you already have max as to why you have not claimed them already.

You weren't even talking to me -- it's clear you don't understand the conversation we're having.

So I got ideewton confuse with icestar. They both start with a "i."

You originally said that these questions aren't valid because of what BW said, which I disagreed with, citing the grounds BW could use to justify still zeroing our currency numbers.

And they are indeed not valid. How anyone could interpret Eric Musco's post as even possibly meaning "We are going to zero out everyone's comm totals" is beyond belief and gives strong reason to suspect that anyone, whether their forum name starts an "i" or not, supporting such a notion is simply trolling. And it is also likely trolling for anyone to state that such a position is not a totally ridiculous position. Because it is a totally ridiculous "concern."

That said, that does not mean I think they will. I think, as I myself pointed out, that these name changes alone have absolutely no effect on the technical side of the game -- it is visual only. Now, granted, these name changes suggest that BW will be altering the currency acquisition / redeeming system, but that is not directly a part of these specific changes.

If you want to address the name change, I suspect they have other, future plans for the word "commendation" and wanted to "free it up" now.

Actually that's not true, they have grounds to call it a conversion, since it's technically just a 1:0 ratio. It'd be foolish and self-destructive but it is technically possible.

No, that wouldn't be a 1:0 ratio, it would be a 2:0 ratio...oh, wait, it could also be a 3:0 ratio, or a pi:0 ration, or...

Yeah, math doesn't like x:0 ratios :)

That said, while Eric apparently should have used only single syllable words for some of the people in this thread, I think it's pretty clear that "name change only" means that "changing the number to 0" isn't going to happen.

No, that wouldn't be a 1:0 ratio, it would be a 2:0 ratio...oh, wait, it could also be a 3:0 ratio, or a pi:0 ration, or...

That said, while Eric apparently should have used only single syllable words for some of the people in this thread, I think it's pretty clear that "name change only" means that "changing the number to 0" isn't going to happen.

There must be a reality where "name change only" means "set all totals to zero."

No you will most likely get nothing so open now, I say this because when the last change happened I had several mission quests to hand in for rewards. When I picked planetary commendation for rewards I did not get it as it was now basic comm and not planetary comms. OK so only lost abot 20 across all my characters nut 297 is a lot to lose. Even if you don't lose them is it really worth the risk? Better off just buying stuff and sell if you already have max as to why you have not claimed them already.

If you don't open them before, don't open them after, send in a support ticket and ask them to convert it for you :) I had to that a long time ago when they gave out Black Hole comms in a box that couldn't be used until level 20 and I didn't get that char leveled up until they had removed black hole comms.

That said, if you are sufficiently under the cap, you might as well open the boxes, since they won't be downconverting your Elites and Ultimates like they did with SoR.

Ha :) Well stated!

I would like to see it in single syllables, as I am a single syllable organism.