PAX Cantina - Important Update: Revised Plan

EricMusco

Let me guess you are an economics major.

If this was still a AAA game, there would be multiple teams working on different things. Obviously it is not the case.

And no, a team can't be made out of 1 person.

probably starts around 6 to 9 months in advance, i mean they need to get ideas together on a white board, then start forming a storyline, when they got a general storyline, they can work from that, add characters that will play a part, flesh them out with more ideas until something is settled.. it just rolls more and more mud on the ball until its ready all those months later. if i were to has at a guess they are about half way to almost complete on their storyline content by now as its an ongoing assignment.

its a small insight thanks to a development team on star trek online when they provided some details to their operation a while back. its all timetabled to a schedule, its released at that point doesnt matter if its full of bugs or not.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but this is BS. The Pax CT stop is one of the biggest ones in the US. Why in the heck did you choose the Seattle stop in the first place? You could have chosen Germany to do the live stream or just did a stream shortly after Seattle.

This pisses me off so much because Seattle has always gotten the shaft when it came to decisions. The first year Seattle was the only stop that had to turn people away because of poor planning, the following year didn't get announced until 2 weeks before the event and we got rehashed flash drives of content that was presented couple weeks prior, and now this year we don't even get one.

The only good thing I can say is that at lease they told us a month in advance.

If this was still a AAA game, there would be multiple teams working on different things. Obviously it is not the case.

To my knowlegde they actually cancelled games to transfer DEVs to this game, so I am sure there are multiple teams working on this game.

Hey folks,

Our goal is to deliver a AAA-quality expansion and we need to allow the team to put their focus on development priorities,

-eric

If your goal was to actually deliver that then the expansion would have something for everyone not just story story story.

Edited by Kaizersan

And why should they cancel their one and only European Tour? There are a lot of people who pay as well, you know?

Silly, there aren't any countries outside of America.

I'm actually torn on this. If they're going to play through an entire chapter, well, I won't really be able to avoid the spoilers (because they'll be ALL over the forums.) If playing through that chapter gets us answers to important questions about companions, how choices matter, etc - it might be a fair trade. But if they just play through one chapter, don't give out any information, and the chapter is a bust - we'll get even more doom and gloom in exchange for spoilers.

I'm sorry, but this is BS. ....

This pisses me off so much because Seattle has always gotten the shaft when it came to decisions. ....

What, no /slap_in_the_face declaration? :)

It's not like Cantina Events are all that exotic and fruitful to the player base. In fact, they generally generate more complaints on the forum then compliments or appreciation.

On a positive note, they gave plenty of advance notice this time.

TL;DR this too shall pass.

LOL...Its going to be Nico Okar. That way you'll sub early to get him...Jeesh even i can see that writting on the wall. :rolleyes:

The cut-off date for Nico Okarr is already this Friday - so by the time they do the livestream, it's too late to sub for him. And I don't think they'll show us any characters we already know about, otherwise it's not really a reveal. I guess Malgus could be considered a reveal since we've only seen him in carbonite, not in person, though I'm still rooting for Theron.

Edited by Jerba

There's a deleted scene from the Sacrifice trailer showing someone who looks suspiciously like Malgus frozen in carbonite being presented by the twins to their father.

Malgus better not show up in KOTFE.

He's been dead for three years. That station exploded with him on it. Following the route of WoW and constantly - and contrivedly - resurrecting dead characters leads down a dark, dark path.

Malgus is dead. End of discussion.

If you want to have his ruined body frozen in carbonite, fine. But if he gets thawed, all that better fall out is a rotten corpse.

You never found it at all suspicious that the original Malgus fight required pushing him down a hole instead of killing him normally like every other boss?

One of the most classic storytelling tropes is if you don't see the body, they're not dead. That was the point.

The only reason they took that method of beating Malgus out of the game was because it was incredibly buggy.

[*]A live gameplay play-thru of a chapter from the new Digital Expansion: Knights of the Fallen Empire

-eric

At least this play-thru will finally put to rest the silly notion that there is an hour of "story" (erroneously defined as cut scene) content in each chapter. We will all get to see just how much "story" there is in a chapter.

Not really a first reveal since we did see that trailer with him a while back (dulfy).

Probably him, though. Gah, I wish they'd let dead characters stay dead.

what dead character? Malgus never died , he fell down and thats all it is. Luke Skywalker fell as well , I dont remember him being dead , do u ? I hope hes alive , cos he was such an amazing character and they cut him out too soon , they shouldnt at all imo

We will all get to see just how much "story" there is in a chapter.

The more I think if it, I actually do not want to see a chapter before I can experience it myself. I will tune in to the live stream but I will probably turn it off while they play through the chapter.

Additionally, anyone who pre-registers for a Cantina and redeems that Cantina’s exclusive mount reward will earn an additional reward! To pre-register, click the check boxes below and let us know which Cantinas you will be attending this year. We’ll see you there!

What happens to those of us that preregistered for this event? Would we still get this extra toy? Or are we given the shaft on that?

The more I think if it, I actually do not want to see a chapter before I can experience it myself. I will tune in to the live stream but I will probably turn it off while they play through the chapter.

Agree , Id rather experience it myself , but ill probably have a look as well

I'm more disturbed by the fact development on the new expansion hasn't finished yet and this cancellation implying so few people are working on SWTOR.

That's not AAA, it's Indie backed by a AAA publisher.

This is how I have felt for a long time. I think everybody would be shocked to find out how few devs are working on swtor.

All you have to do is look at the current development cycle and competency it took them several months to figure out how to upgrade the Gree event by 5 levels. The only content we've had since 3.0 dropped can be summed up as follows

1. Ziost

2. ...

Honestly I was about to start listing then realised we only got Ziost besides that all we got a new Stronghold and a costume designer, that's it. Honestly, how long does it take to create a worldstate where all you do is place existing meshes, models and a couple new textures? Yes if you look closely all the Monoliths are is a slight remodel on a vorantikus, really set your RP walk on and compare them side by side, only difference is rocks instead of spikes. Since base game launch 90% of all new entities, models etc are just slight reskins, hell you can find Makrin with the name "Acklay Matriach" and try placing an Orobir.. I mean Walker mount in you're Stronghold, the lolz are real.

Essentially 4.0 has had 8+ months of development, With no new operations there had better be a massive WOW factor involved to keep a majority of the subscriber base. I'm talking alternate world instances for post 4.0 scenery, even if you can't leave the starting Town, something to say "this is what happened here"

And FInally both myself and many of my fellow guildies have a lot riding on 4.0 with no word on when the new operation will be out Feb? March? 5.0? and PvP not likely to get a change tagged along with expected prog on old content, If there is not a significant amount of story content to run through I probably won't be subbing until new stuff comes along

You should know better then that by now.

They will show the same chapter they have shown to the press, i belive it was chapter 3, which basically shows just the part of you being released from carbonite, learning that the empire/republic have been all but defeated, learn that your companions are now spread across the galaxy and then make your escape from the planet you are on.

So basically they will show off more or less the part that was already "spoiled" in the official announcements of KOTFE. I do hope we get a few additional spoilers aswell. :rak_03:

If i am wrong, y'all get free cookies and drinks at my place on Nar Shaddaa! :p

They will show the same chapter they have shown to the press

Perhaps, but he wrote a live gameplay play-thru of a chapter so it might be something else. Anyway I am sure they got things under control and do not show us any significant spoilers :tran_smile:

Edited by Icestar

I only care about the mount to be honest. And to the random drop. I'll get the statue, one day or another.

But at least some footage of the new dlc sounds nice. I'm wondering how many planets there will actually be, if Lana will actually wield 2 sabers at all times while remaining a sorc healer and if Theron and Jakarro will finally go down a cliff holding hands togheter.

Edited by JeKoCZ