Announcing Knights of the Fallen Empire

EricMusco

If you're talking in terms of definitions, there are still going to be Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones in the game, and the option to group up with other players - so no matter what, it still fits the definition of an MMO. You seem to just be worried that those aren't the aspects being emphasized.

Wrong. Again. We are worried that there will be NO new MMO content in an MMO. We are ALL for new story content, but we expect an MMO to have MMO content, not JUST single player content. God forbid we want them to pay a tiny bit of attention to all their player bases and for all their player bases to be content. It must be great to live in a world where you only care about what -you- want, and not what -everyone- wants. God forbid we play an MMO for the social aspect. Heresy.

Edited by mmmbuddah

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping the info just hasn't been released yet, but from what I am seeing it looks like instead of making new Ops and FPs they are just going to scale all the existing stuff up...What a horrible idea.

Actually dude, they didn't say "there will be only olders Ops and FP". They said "There will be a new storyline, and we'll upgrading the older endgame".

Upgrading previous ops is a great idea. Personnaly, I was a beta player, and I did all of the endgame for now. But 2 friends just started the game now. At the moment, older ops arn't worth : the iLvl is too bad, nobody wants to do it for no reward. After the KotFE patch, doing it will give some reward, with a good iLvl.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel was the first expansion, and they added some FP/Ops for it.

We got some minor expansion giving FP/Ops and some PvP additions (but PvP isn't for 4.0, that's for 3.3)

Shadow of Revan was a story expansion, and they added some FP/Ops for it.

So, don't be mad. They didn't speak about it because 1) that's too obvious and 2) that's a long road between now and October the 20th. They still can give us some pazaak. YES BIOWARE I WANT TO PLAY PAZAAK WITH ANDRONIKOS !

Awesome! This is GREAT news for the game and this is unbelievable. Doing it this way and having story be THE main stay of the game and it's going to keep coming out over spans of months. This is great! This is going to be fantastic! I cannot wait. This looks like it's going to be "different" to. Edited by Sarfux

I'm completely right actually, and you're making up ********. In the posts where I said there is no mention of PVP, that's literally what I meant.

What are you going on about? I replied to what you said about the 'definitions' of an MMO not changing in this string of comments:

Think about it, the core stories of each class are made up of 4 chapters. Now, for the beginning we get 9 chapters and will be getting up to like 15. How long are they gonna be?! Like do they gonna be like 1 quest per chapter, or is it really going to be that long like normal chapters like in core story? If it will be that long, THAT IS INCREDIBLE cool! Finally a real singleplayer addition, if it will be that long, pretty much like a new game xD

I am all for new story, and I welcome that, but the bolded part is just wrong, this is an mmo, not a single player game.

It seems to be wrong for you and not for other people. Sorry, the world changes, especially if you don't.

Nah sorry definitions in the dictionary and common language haven't changed.

The definition of an MMO hasn't changed, it's a game that has multiple players in the same persistent world and allows them to group up for some or all of the content - that definition still applies perfectly well to this game.

This is an mmo, not the United Nations. I am all for change, but what you people want is like changing mario kart into smash brothers.

It's an MMO yes and MMOs have stuff to do for all kinds of people. BW haven't even explained everything that's going to happen. They said so in the interview after the show anyways.

You are one of these people that is stuck with an old definition of MMOs and can't stand people also want single player content in an MMO, namely stories to follow that you don't have sit in fleet chat or the gf for.

Just wait and see. They really haven't revealed everything yet but you act like you know everything and can make a full judgment on it. Just not realistic.

Wrong. Again. We are worried that there will be NO new MMO content in an MMO. We are ALL for new story content, but we expect an MMO to have MMO content, not JUST single player content. God forbid we want them to pay a tiny bit of attention to all their player bases and for all their player bases to be content. It must be great to live in a world where you only care about what -you- want, and not what -everyone- wants. God forbid we play an MMO for the social aspect. Heresy.

They are adding level 60+ modes for the Flashpoints. You are still going to be able to group for all the group content already in the game. They are not removing any group content. This game will still have group content in it.

This game has both solo content and group content. It is just a question of what is being emphasized / focused on in the game.

An MMO that focuses on the solo aspects, but still contains group content, still fits the definition of an MMO - although I can respect the opinions of those who say it is an MMO that is not to their liking.

Edited by DarthDymond

The definition of an MMO hasn't changed, it's a game that has multiple players in the same persistent world and allows them to group up for some or all of the content - that definition still applies perfectly well to this game.

Allows being the operative word.

Not force, not uniquely has, but allows.

There are however a couple of people here who think that MMOs should only be about group content and that's a definition that's at least outdated if not wrong.

... People complained about getting so little story, and as soon as we get it, people are still complaining. At least the Mass Effect fans (Myself included) are happy for ME: Andromeda.

this... been wanting a real chapter 4 for so long now, but i liked how they did SoR, so i think this will be good too...

and everyone saying there wont be new ops or pvp maps... think youre jumping the gun on that call...

What are you going on about? I replied to what you said about the 'definitions' of an MMO not changing in this string of comments:

You're contextually on a different page or an obnoxious cherry picker. In any case we're talking past each other so let's not waste any further effort on it.

I am all for new story, and I welcome that, but the bolded part is just wrong, this is an mmo, not a single player game.

Look at the trend over the last 18 months and leading into what has been announced at E3. It all revolves around single player with Multiplayer Options and aspects.

Most developers are completely ditching the WoW style MMO concept and going back to a focus on the single player style.

The failure of the 2 MMO's that were supposed to end all MMO's sealed it for the genre. ESO and Wildstars' rapid failures showed us that if an MMO is going to be successful you need to offer players something more than just a level grind and some end game hack and slash with your friends. The story and the single player draw combined with the Star Wars name and the cartel market is what keeps SWTOR on the list of most popular Online games. PvP didn't save SWTOR anymore than it saved ESO or Wildstar. It is estimated than only about 2% of the playerbase engage in PvP at all. And for a game that grossed over $300 million 6 months after the media called it a failure... 2% isn't enough players to have carried or saved anything.

I enjoy my fair share of PvP and even I know that PvP has always been a small community, the most vocal on the forums, but a small community none the less.

Story drew people to SWTOR and Story will keep it going. Bioware is doing what every other game out there is doing, sticking to the niche, getting back to what made people fall in love with them in the first place and running maintenance on the features that the vocal minority enjoy. Halo is doing that, Fall Out, Doom, etc, so on and so forth. They are all going back to the basics and focusing on single player. The multi Billion dollar a year Parent company (EA) likely has told Bioware to spend money where the majority of your players are.

Video games as a whole (the Market I mean) took a hit last year, so companies are spending their development money on the aspects of their games that people enjoy the most. My question to you is this: Outside of FPS games how many games have you seen showcasing their in game PvP? I didn't even see Madden 16 showcase Head to head play, which is still a form of PvP.

Edited by RiVaN_

Will Knights of the Fallen Empire finally feature an option to turn on chat bubbles for player chat in /say, /yell and /emote channels?

Also, will those of us who already have the maximum of 22 characters per server get more character slots for the expansion to be able to create level 60 expansion characters?

And will we finally get a client upgrade with native 64 bit support (my 12GB Titan X and 32 GB system memory are starving when playing TOR) and possibly DirectX 12 support as well?

Edited by Glzmo

On the IGN post-show they explained the transition from our current story to the new on: They mention that our characters are frozen in carbonize and years pass. When we awake, both the Empire and Republic are essentially gone and we are all that is left to stop this new "Fallen Empire".

Ok now I'm intrigued.

From an interview on Polygon.

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year."

Can we MAYBE stop with the whole "NO MORE PVP complaints now?

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year."

You will NEVER stop "those guys" from complaining. NEVER!

Amazing, this expansion is going to be absolutely fantastic and very large and they are going all out on it and doing class stories and chapters and introducing new stuff so there's even MORE to do in the game, and some are STILL not happy.

There's no pleasing some. Even if SWTOR added 5 to 10 planets in the expansion each with it's own class story, people would still complain.

Devs talking to Polygon re: KotFE:

EA has shifted the subscription pitch for this free-to-play game away from merely faster leveling, more bank space, more inventory slots toward more stories. Standing content is being streamlined for players who do not wish to grind, but do want to feel like they are part of a vast Star Wars story.

This shift in focus is almost entirely driven by observed player behavior patterns and by player feedback, according to Maclean. "We have three years of data on how people play the game and what they want. We know what our players want. They've told us. They've told us in person, on the forums. They've also told us through their play behaviors.

"We can look at this stuff and say, 'look, if you want to go and play the standard MMO game — PvP, doing a flashpoint, operation raiding — we have that. We've always had that. We continue to expand on that. But we also heard, loud and clear, this scream for story, for personal custom story.'"

[...]

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year.

EDIT: Scooped by Gezlin :p

Edited by DarthDymond

I haven't seen any "no more PVP" complaints. I have seen and written complaints that there are not even any hints about upcoming new things for PVP.

If you've been playing this game awhile and paying attention to BW communications you'd be aware that the "just wait and see" types of statements have been repeatedly used ad nauseum and often don't amount to more than lip service.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Hickman talking to Polygon re: KotFE:

EA has shifted the subscription pitch for this free-to-play game away from merely faster leveling, more bank space, more inventory slots toward more stories. Standing content is being streamlined for players who do not wish to grind, but do want to feel like they are part of a vast Star Wars story.

This shift in focus is almost entirely driven by observed player behavior patterns and by player feedback, according to Maclean. "We have three years of data on how people play the game and what they want. We know what our players want. They've told us. They've told us in person, on the forums. They've also told us through their play behaviors.

"We can look at this stuff and say, 'look, if you want to go and play the standard MMO game — PvP, doing a flashpoint, operation raiding — we have that. We've always had that. We continue to expand on that. But we also heard, loud and clear, this scream for story, for personal custom story.'"

[...]

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year.

Haha, Sorry, Lord Dymond! :p

I haven't seen any "no more PVP" complaints. I have seen and written complaints that there are not even any hints about upcoming new things for PVP.

If you've been playing this game awhile and paying attention to BW communications you'd be aware that the "just wait and see" types of statements have been repeatedly used ad nauseum and often don't amount to more than lip service.

I've been playing since launch, and I never understood how some players can keep complaining about things, and not get sick from being negative all the time!

Devs talking to Polygon re: KotFE:

[...]

Ok now I'm definitely interested. My view about SWTOR has changed for the positive for the first time in ages.

Edited by Karkais

You will NEVER stop "those guys" from complaining. NEVER!

Amazing, this expansion is going to be absolutely fantastic and very large and they are going all out on it and doing class stories and chapters and introducing new stuff so there's even MORE to do in the game, and some are STILL not happy.

There's no pleasing some. Even if SWTOR added 5 to 10 planets in the expansion each with it's own class story, people would still complain.

Once there were 2 wise men.

The first said;

"You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time."

The 2nd replied;

"Yes, but there are also those who live to complain, they can never be pleased... Or happy."

The moral of the story if you focus on pleasing those capable of being happy then success is in your grasp. You can try to please some of the others, but you are better off trying to ignore the loudest because they will complain no matter what you do.

Edited by RiVaN_

No worries, you've got plenty of good will built up from that great KOTOR armor thread you put together.:D

Heh, thanks! At least the thread is good for something! :cool: I Just can't see how some people can be so negative today.... The new Mass Effect, Knights of the Fallen Empire, and Even the new South Park game. I don't know about everyone else, but I am so happy! :rak_03:

Ok now I'm definitely interested. My view about SWTOR has changed for the positive for the first time in ages.

More than anything, the deal with the Companions has me really interested:

Five new companions will be available throughout the quest, taken from a cast with very different allegiances.

"You're able to recruit help and additional companions from an expanded cast, including companions who were previously exclusive to other classes," said Maclean. "Building that alliance involves going to all the planets in the galaxy and doing activities and missions that build faction. If you want to recruit a character who's favorable to the Mandalorians, you'll be able to do missions for them. You want to recruit a character who hates the Hutts, you'll do missions to build your alliance standing against them."

I am curious how this will play out and I'm looking forward to news about how it will all work in terms of game mechanics.

Edited by DarthDymond