Announcing Knights of the Fallen Empire

EricMusco

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that we didn't know about all the terrible system changes months ago -- I would have just let my sub run out then, instead of upping it again though... about a month from now, actually.

As noted in another thread, I don't even think the story is going to be great.

Where have we seen the plot conceit of "Something happens in a cut scene that you can't avoid, that puts you out of commission for a long time. When you come back, your old team is scattered and you'll need to build a new team and save the galaxy." Oh, that's right, in ME2. That was ME2.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time that Bioware recycled their own story elements.

http://infothread.org/Video%20Games%20and%20Gaming/BioWare%20Cliche%20Chart.png

As for the now-known fact that Valkorian is actually Vitiate, well, gee, sorry if I've grown tired of Vitiate and would rather have just seen the current arc wrapped up with a ritual or some crap to finally end the silly space god once and for all. Instead, we get at least the fourth moment of "You cannot comprehend my power, my existence is beyond your understanding, and my plans are plans inside plans wrapped in plans and then coated in another plan" from this worn-out antagonist. That same crap, over and over again. The first JK encounter with him, then his surviving the second encounter, then his return on Yavin and the little speech at the end of Ziost, and now KotFE. Just die already, Vitiate. You're not compelling, you're not interesting, you're not awesome, you're just tedious and pathetic as a character.

It's a shame that we didn't know about all the terrible system changes months ago -- I would have just let my sub run out then, instead of upping it again though... about a month from now, actually.

As noted in another thread, I don't even think the story is going to be great.

Where have we seen the plot conceit of "Something happens in a cut scene that you can't avoid, that puts you out of commission for a long time. When you come back, your old team is scattered and you'll need to build a new team and save the galaxy." Oh, that's right, in ME2. That was ME2.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time that Bioware recycled their own story elements.

http://infothread.org/Video%20Games%20and%20Gaming/BioWare%20Cliche%20Chart.png

As for the now-known fact that Valkorian is actually Vitiate, well, gee, sorry if I've grown tired of Vitiate and would rather have just seen the current arc wrapped up with a ritual or some crap to finally end the silly space god once and for all. Instead, we get at least the fourth moment of "You cannot comprehend my power, my existence is beyond your understanding, and my plans are plans inside plans wrapped in plans and then coated in another plan" from this worn-out antagonist. That same crap, over and over again. The first JK encounter with him, then his surviving the second encounter, then his return on Yavin and the little speech at the end of Ziost, and now KotFE. Just die already, Vitiate. You're not compelling, you're not interesting, you're not awesome, you're just tedious and pathetic as a character.

You really live up to your name, also where did you see that 'fact' mentioned in your spoiler?

However, there is no precedent for this. They have not done this with any other pre-expac release digital incentives.

The digital upgrade option gives you all the stuff that was in the CE, except the mouse droid, IIRC.

I came back recently because of the expansion, but not soon enough to get the companion. Would be nice to be able to get him with CCs at some point, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it never happens...especially now that any companion can fill any role.

• 2 weeks later...
You will have access to the first 9 chapters for your sub, but I think that's it.
Kinda. I think the way it works is that subbing updates your Fallen Empire chapter list. If you continue to stay subbed, it'll continue to update as they release new chapters. If you cancel your sub, you'll keep the chapters you have, but not gain any new ones until you resub (at which point you'll gain all released chapters).

So if you unsubbed on, say, the 30th, then yes you'd only be able to access the first 9 chapters until you resubbed. However, if they'd released an extra two in the coming months and then you unsub, you should keep the 11 you've unlocked, though not gain any new ones.

Would have been nice to make it a bit clearer that Early Access is only available for subscribers who have been subscribed the WHOLE pre order bonus phase. You really did your best to not mention it on any preview and hide it in the small print. This feels so scummy for everybody that just got excited again to play SWTOR. Once again, good job.

Would have been nice to make it a bit clearer that Early Access is only available for subscribers who have been subscribed the WHOLE pre order bonus phase.
Yeah, I was talking to someone about this yesterday. I'm think you needed to be subbed for that whole time, but I'm not even sure. It's rather ambiguous.

Its in the fine print on the bottom of the expansion announcement page, and only there. The rest is worded very ambiguously. Sucks for everyone that subbed to come back to the game. RIP a week of sub -.-
Not... really... I mean, yeah, you can't level to 65 or do directly-KotFE-related things, but you'll still have to download the patch to play starting Tuesday, and you'll still be playing in the new system. Things will change dramatically regardless of whether you have access to the new story and levels.