3.2.1 Marauder/Sentinel Insight: Annihilation/Watchman Rotation Design Philosophy

Pre-3.0 watchman was my favorite spec in the game, and I play most of them regularly. I now refuse to play it until the devs pull their heads out of their asses and realize what a steaming pile of **** it became in 3.0, and will continue to be with the changes they have planned. Edited by Kakisback

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know health care is privatized in the U.S., but EA must give their employees some kind of healtcare coverage.

If you have not played the Watchman Sentinel John, please do so. If you have played Watchman Sentinel then please exercise the coverage you get from EA to see a doctor about the head trauma you recently suffered John because that is the only thing that would explain your state of mind when writing this post.

UPDATE ON THIS ROTATION.

Using Oofalong's model...the spec will even go so far as to (in an average situation), having 0.35 extra focus every 45 second cycle (remembering cycles are based not off Merciless + Cauterize, but rather off Force Melt, Zealous, Leap, Master Strike and Dual Saber Throw).

Are you sure you are accounting for resource properly? I have only done a quick pass at this and I am coming up very negative in resource. I will look into it more later as I have a raid now...

One of the problems that I suspect you are having as developers and combat designers is that much of what the community is asking for is contrary to some of the overarching, game-wide combat changes that were made between later 2.x and 3.0.

Notably, proc-based combat has essentially been entirely removed from the game across the board in favor of non-RNG based rotations. Chain lightning is no longer a proc for sorcerers, but a guaranteed result of lightning strike/thundering blast. Rail shot no longer resets on an RNG proc, but has a set reset. >30% Execute skills aren't percentage chance procs anymore, but happen every time with an internal cool down to balance it out. This was a universal design decision, and you need to keep marauder consistent with it.

Guaranteed procs that are not based on RNG are also by definition predictable and by their very nature eliminate a significant skill factor.

Similarly, you are pushing force rend because you made a universal design decision to make DOTs a significantly stronger and more important aspect of the game, along with DOT spread.

What is happening here is that you are pretty much hamstrung into making annihilation a boring, predictable, lower skill spec because the only way to fix it would be to go back on these universal design decisions.

I personally think that this would be a good idea across the board. Removing SOME of the RNG was a good idea, but you went and removed ALL of it, which has significantly dumbed down the combat experience. It's the biggest reason that I went from playing more than four hours a day to playing a few hours a month: the combat is simply not especially interesting anymore for any of the classes. In the case of marauders, it's simply hurt much, much more.

Are you sure you are accounting for resource properly? I have only done a quick pass at this and I am coming up very negative in resource. I will look into it more later as I have a raid now...

Assuming a 25% melee crit rate, and remembering every melee attack bar cauterize + leap has multiple hits, then noting the 2 sec duration of Cauterize ticks, a 60 second period will have:

~58.8 melee hits, depending on accuracy. This is a melee crit every ~4.08 seconds

79 Burn ticks. With the 20% chance of activating, this is one focus every ~3.8 seconds

Together, this results in ~2 seconds per focus generated, and you need 2.4 seconds/focus for the 2 RNG Fillers to be ignored (13 focus every 12 seconds, and it generates 10 focus guaranteed every 15, so over 60 secs you need 25 focus generated, or 2.4 seconds for each RNG focus)

EDIT - just realised I forgot to account for the lockout -_-

That and my hits over a 60 second period were off

Edited by TACeMossie

Kudo's to John and his Bioware ilk for once again deceiving their fanbase! Time and again they've spun the same old "we listen" bs and just as often, we the players have fallen for the ruse. How far back shall we go to expose Bioware's blatant lies? 3.0? Well It seems they've covered their tracks well, for the DEV Tracker is suddenly devoid of any DEV post regarding class balancing (beyond the immediate healer fiasco). Go ahead and look, every DEV post relating to a class balance exchange between player and DEV has been deleted - I've even searched my own post history and came up with nothing. Why are they covering their tracks?

The players are not as dumb as the DEV's seem to hope, for our memories can indeed stretch back to beyond last week. Yes, we still remember the great Smuggler/Gunslinger Update debacle. Bioware's beloved DEV's broke several promises:

!) 3 PTS updates of class changes were promised for Ruffian/Dirty Fighting/Engineering, Pyro PT's and Rage Jugs. However, rather than give us "bite sized" updates, they elected to sum everything up in the second round of PTS changes. To support these changes, DEV's asked the players to list 3 of the most important changes they'd like to see implemented. This implies that not only would Bioware roll out their own planned updates, but they'd incorporate at least 1 player idea. But no, not one idea was used. Additionally, they only included 1 change (frag grenade splash damage increased).

2) DEV acknowledged Ruffian DPS parses are below intended levels and they will adjust this (soon). Naturally, said post has been deleted for unknown reasons. Additionally, Bioware also promised to fix the disaster that is Blaster Volley (also soon). Of course, soon in Bioware time could be 4.0.

3) Engineering did not receive one single update beyond their roll bang nerf.

4) Despite promises of transparency and increased communication, not one DEV posted an explanation as to why Ruffian's feedback had been ignored, or why there were so few changes.

Now John has the audacity to tell players they must "rethink how the rotation plays and respond carefully to each situation to get the most out of the new Annihilation/Watchman Discipline." How is this any different than the "Make them pay!" catastrophe? But wait, John still thinks we'll fall for his lies: in his Self Healing and Set Bonuses thread John claims, "At present, we are considering adding Dual Saber Throw/Twin Saber Throw to the Weaponmaster’s/Challenger’s Critical Bonus trigger. What are your thoughts on this? Do you even care? No of course not. We all know the herculean efforts (sarcasm) that are required to change set bonuses (hello bugged commando/merc healer set bonus!). But yes, let's all regurgitate dozens of pages filled with suggestions so John can pretend to take our ideas under consideration. The irony in all of this lies in what's not said: if you read between the lines you'll discover that Watchman is not up for debate; what he's given us is his explanation for the discipline and nothing more. Player engagement is not his goal, because he has "Conclud(ed) our threads that lend insight on recent Marauder/Sentinel design choices." He's flat out telling us that this is how it is and we'd better learn to like it.

Bioware wake up! Controlling the fate of virtual worlds and dictating rules players must follow does not mean you reside on Mount Olympus. If you continue to work around players instead of with them, they will move on. Someone higher up than you will eventually notice embarrasing "Learn to play" and "heal to full and make them pay" fiasco's. The result will not be pretty - just ask Georg Zoeller.

I'd hate to be a dev right now.

I feel like everywhere people are picking up their torches and pitchforks, and I admit I've been eyeing mine-- the "progress" of the game seems to be going only downhill, and its frustrating,

As issues and bugs pop up like weeds, all of us are looking towards the gardeners expectantly. Problem is the gardening of this game happens behind a brick wall, and while they might be working really, really hard, there's no way for us to know. Meanwhile what we hear is, "We're doing really hard stuff and doing really good things!" and this thread's "The class works, rearrange your idea of how its supposed to work and just accept that it does." And then---- then we see the finished product, which, I'm pretty sure the majority from most/all forums would agree, is just....

...more weeds. More problems. More dissatisfaction.

To continue with the analogy, maybe its not the devs fault, strictly speaking. Maybe the soil, game engine, whatever, just spawns weeds around every corner. Fine. That's possible. It feels less and less probable, but its possible.

But the fact remains that it is really difficult to enjoy the game in its current state. Just because its hard to deal with doesn't mean you can get off the hook for not dealing with it.

I've taken more and longer breaks from ToR, always taking longer to come back each time, each time hoping, hoping, that something might've changed and things might be looking up.

How long can a game keep going with all the rampant frustration and anger that comes after every further change that comes out? It feels like erosion- an erosion that the powers that be keep answering by what honestly seem to be false statements and false placations, and by more cartel packs shoved down the throats of people who are still wandering around the game blindly eating it all up.

What happens when too many of us wake up?

Most of us love Star Wars, if not the game still, then at least the franchise. We want the game to be fun and playable. We want to believe the devs who make promises about viability and transparency and listening to player feedback. Do something! Please.

Edited by Star_of_Shili

One of the problems that I suspect you are having as developers and combat designers is that much of what the community is asking for is contrary to some of the overarching, game-wide combat changes that were made between later 2.x and 3.0.

As many regular contributors to the sent/mara threads these past few months have said, it's hard to give valuable feedback if you don't know what the devs are and are not willing to change. If any RNG based options are out, I'm of the opinion that keeping the current watchman would be a better option than this new version.

~58.8 melee hits, depending on accuracy. This is a melee crit every ~4.08 seconds

79 Burn ticks. With the 20% chance of activating, this is one focus every ~3.8 seconds

With the lockout for dots you are looking at: 7.7 points of regeneration per minute from dots.

Edited by znihilist

What's the point of a little better gear with all these 'adjustments' ?

Marauders having 198 gear now will damage like they used to in 192 gear. Epic fail. Looks like whoever has multiple characters now plays some specific ones when good changes are made and ignore the rest.

EDIT - just realised I forgot to account for the lockout -_-

That's why Oofalong and me have asked a million times that it be removed. If it were, you could probably do a rotation that has Master Strike on Cooldown (without clipping it) and is 18 secs long instead of a stupid ONE MINUTE.

How anyone could think that resource starving a spec so much, that it can't use its abilities according to the DPS/activation values, will make up dynamic gameplay is beyond me. We will just set up a rotation that prioritizes resource builders over the weaker DPS abilities. But that will lead to a rotation that is just as static - just with different priorities.

John, if you really want dynamic gameplay, you need "mechanics" in the spec, something that's not predictable. Even resource starvation is predictable and counterable by a scripted rotation with high priority on Zealous Strike and Force Leap. The only dynamic thing atm is the Mind Seer proc.

2.X went the other way around. The spec was focus neutral as long as you got your Cauterize procs. The dynamics came from missing a proc on Cauterize and only THEN you had to do something about your resources (or in advance if you were clever). There was interplay as it was not predictable what ability was supposed to be next (Cauterize (2 focus) and a focus builder if proc, Slash (3) if no proc plus Cauterize (2) after that).

3.2.1 will just be: Keep Dots and Merciless on Cooldown. Inbetween use strongest focus builders available. That's sustainable. You will simply drop all other fillers completely, as there's no focus for them. It will be the most static rotation ever.

And I must agree with this:

Did you know pre 3.0 watchman was exactly that? *shocker* Pre 3.0 watchman was simple enough for new players to enjoy but complex enough that it kept more serious players interested in diving deeper into the spec. 3.0 and the upcoming 3.2.1 changes encompass NONE of that. Your attempts at design philosphy literally feels like you are just throwing crap into the wind and rolling with whatever hits you in the face to make it appear complicated, but all you have done is create a spec that no longer functions and can't compete with anyone.

I think what I and everyone else on these forums truly deserves is a legitmate answer as to why you made such drastic changes to the spec in 3.0. Changes NO ONE asked for and why you are so determined to stick with changes that is bringing nothing but negativity. You are killing the class and it almost feels intentional. I get that BW Austin is a small team and not everyone will be proficient with every class (its painfully obvious you guys don't understand this spec or this class) but at least listen to those that are giving you numbers and GOOD feedback.

It almost feels like you're too proud to do anything the community suggests or to admit that you ****ed up an extremely unique spec. Watchman was incredibly unique both in swtor and in any MMO I've ever played. It was a dot spec but at the same time it wasn't. It was an incredibly fun spec to play and I fear I'll never see it again due to the stubbornness of a developer that puts his pride first over his subscribers.

The spec had lost some of its charm post 1.1.5 and after several nerfs, but at least the spec itself was still incredibly unique and fun to play. Even when it sucked in pvp for almost a year I still played it because it was that much fun.....but what you guys have done to the spec........No other MMO even comes to compare with how badly you butchered this spec.

You have done the exact opposite though. Resource management is so tight and the dps is so low that there is no room for variation. You literally forced the spec into one limited rotation. I don't get where you somehow got the idea that these new changes makes the spec have more variation.....Nothing about the new changes will have marauders acting instinctively to each combat situation......All its going to do is show a bunch of marauders spamming slash because they don't have any resources to do anything else and cry as their dots fall off and they cant put them back on.

I can't tell if you're patronizing us or insulting us......Probably both. No one asked for dot spread or longer dots. We don't need or want either. Quit trying to homogenize everything. This is why I have a love hate with arenas. I enjoy them but I know they are the reason ever spec is losing its originality causing the game to become boring. Watchmen was NEVER about long dots or dot spread. It was unique because it was a bursty dot spec with short durations that could be reapplied quickly, especially with a cauterize proc. It hit hard enough to be a burst threat but wasn't as bursty as burst specs and also maintained strong dots that required attention to detail to keep our merciless and juyo stacks up. The spec had a tone of involvement. It was fast and always changing. This new garbage you have is clunky, doesn't flow correctly and feels too much like a ranged spec design slapped onto a melee character while attempting to keep some older abilities, which again, makes the spec not flow correctly.

Nothing you do can fix 3.0+ watchman. Just give us 2.10 back. The spec was near perfection and only needed to be tweaked here and there. Drop your idiotic pride BW and accept that the previous version of watchman was near perfect and the 3.0 version is a *********** dud.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

That's why Oofalong and me have asked a million times that it be removed. If it were, you could probably do a rotation that has Master Strike on Cooldown and is 18 secs long instead of a stupid ONE MINUTE.

How anyone could think that resource starving a spec so much, that it can't use its abilities according to the DPS/activation values, will make up dynamic gameplay is beyond me. We will just set up a rotation that prioritizes resource builders over ther weaker DPS abilities. But that will lead to a rotation that is just as static - just with different priorities.

John, if you really want dynamic gameplay, you need "mechanics" in the spec, something that's not predictable. Even resource starvation is predictable and counterable by a scripted rotation with high priority on Zealous Strike and Force Leap. The only dynamic thing atm is the Mind Seer proc.

2.X went the other way around. The spec was focus neutral as long as you got your Cauterize procs. The dynamics came from missing a proc on Cauterize and only THEN you had to do something about your resources (or in advance if you were clever). There was interplay as it was not predictable what ability was supposed to be next (Cauterize (2 focus) and a focus builder if proc, Slash (3) if no proc plus Cauterize (2) after that).

3.2.1 will just be: Keep Dots and Merciless on Cooldown. Inbetween use strongest focus builders available. That's sustainable. You will simply drop all other fillers completely, as there's no focus for them. It will be the most static rotation ever.

And I must agree with this.

Yip totally spot on but unfortunately they seem to be trying their best to prove how clueless and inept they are, devs please surprise us by showing you are not and actually listening.

That's why Oofalong and me have asked a million times that it be removed. If it were, you could probably do a rotation that has Master Strike on Cooldown (without clipping it) and is 18 secs long instead of a stupid ONE MINUTE

Its actually 3 minutes if you account for everything, even though its just combining a 12 second rotation [see exhibit A] with a 15 second rotation [see Exhibit B], though the 15 second rotation changes 3 times so it could be seen as a 45 second rotation [Exhibit C]

EXHIBIT A:

Merciless + Overload -> Filler -> Cauterize -> Filler ->

Merciless -> Filler -> Cauterize -> Filler ->

EXHIBIT B:

FillerA -> Melt -> FillerA -> Zealous Strike -> FillerA ->

Leap -> FillerA -> FillerB -> FillerA -> FillerB ->

(FillerA = Merciless or Cauterize, FillerB = Master Strike, TST, Slash, Dispatch, Strike)

EXHIBIT C (AKA EXHIBIT B extrapolated):

Filler -> Melt -> Filler -> Zealous Strike -> Filler ->

Leap -> Filler -> Master Strike (Clip) -> Filler -> TST ->

Leap -> Filler -> Strike/Slash/Dispatch -> Filler -> Master Strike (Clip) ->

Leap -> Filler -> TST -> Filler -> Strike/Slash/Dispatch -> Filler ->

Now, in spoiler tags, have the entire 3 minute rotation in Marauder terms because its slightly more reasonable to use their abbreviations!

AN+DS -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN -> FC -> R -> RV -> AN + DS -> DST ->

R -> FM -> AN -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN + DS -> AS/VS/DT -> R -> RV ->

AN -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN+DS -> FC -> R -> DST -> AN -> AS/VS/DT ->

R -> FM -> AN+DS -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN -> RV -> R -> DST ->

AN+DS -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN -> FC -> R -> AS/VS/DT -> AN+DS -> RV ->

R -> FM -> AN -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN + DS -> DST -> R -> AS/VS/DT ->

AN -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN+DS -> FC -> R -> RV -> AN -> DST ->

R -> FM -> AN+DS -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN -> AS/VS/DT -> R -> RV ->

AN+DS -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN -> FC -> R -> DST -> AN+DS -> AS/VS/DT ->

R -> FM -> AN -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN+DS -> RV -> R -> DST ->

AN -> FM -> R -> BA -> AN+DS -> FC -> R -> AS/VS/DT -> AN -> RV ->

R -> FM -> AN+DS -> BA -> R -> FC -> AN -> DST -> R -> AS/VS/DT ->

Edited by TACeMossie

Having a dot spread as a melee class is counter intuitive. Melee classes have short ranged mostly single target or short cone shaped or round aoe attacks......... In order for this spec to be relatively effective, the aoe range on the smash should be equivalent to all other large aoe in the game........ Secondly as a model, why have a mechanic like this for a melee class in general......... Ranged classes have the ability to kite while doing damage and can more easily out maneuver melee classes with the exception of sniper gunslinger melee classes should do way more damage because they are more easily targeted or should have way more sustain to keep them alive. Having a melee sustainability solely Dependant on aoe dot spreading is a recipe for disaster IMO..... I've played Mara since release I love maras but you guys slapped them too hard with the Nerf bat. Secondly. Take charges away from saber......... Make it a 5 second buff with a max apply of 3 stacks per target especially since you can't spread it with smash.......

This is insulting. Really. I have been playing mara starting from beta and you have literally just told me L2P.

Just forget about your pride and revert to pre-3.0.

Edited by Kadra

Having a dot spread as a melee class is counter intuitive. Melee classes have short ranged mostly single target or short cone shaped or round aoe attacks......... In order for this spec to be relatively effective, the aoe range on the smash should be equivalent to all other large aoe in the game........ Secondly as a model, why have a mechanic like this for a melee class in general......... Ranged classes have the ability to kite while doing damage and can more easily out maneuver melee classes with the exception of sniper gunslinger melee classes should do way more damage because they are more easily targeted or should have way more sustain to keep them alive. Having a melee sustainability solely Dependant on aoe dot spreading is a recipe for disaster IMO..... I've played Mara since release I love maras but you guys slapped them too hard with the Nerf bat. Secondly. Take charges away from saber......... Make it a 5 second buff with a max apply of 3 stacks per target especially since you can't spread it with smash.......

PVP-perspective: That ´s it. (Juyo)

Try to apply a force sweep in a wz where pts, sorcerers und bounty hounters, snipers are running around (keeping you at bay). If they´re smart, they won´t be hugging each other, but keep at least half distance to the next one.

If they are actually idiots and stay close to each other, just be the idiot to jump into the crowd.

Let´s see what happens.

Let´s see how long the dot-spread, if you succeed to applying it anyway, will keep you alive in a root, stun and focus-fire melangerie. (As I will be forced to do this in order to not suffering the actual heal debuff, which your tricky new healing-option will bring on.)

So far I´m trying to attack anyone in the peripherie of the battle scene, trying to not get too much attention of all these range dds

I don´t want to lay out my tactics to an aoe-rotation, hoping to spread out dots. But as a dd I have to do this to deal the highest pressure possible. To achieve this there´s no alternative but to apply aoe-attacks as often as possible as it stands now.

I´d rather want to apply for instance a real heavy dot/ slash combo on just one target, with an appropriate output, to be able to deliver pressure on this target. (and occasionally being able to place an aoe-skill with a mediocre output).

Regarding the present pvp-wz-meta, I don´t want to be forced to jump into a group of range dds with kiting-abilities and the abilities to root and slow you to death.

Edited by EilahFinn

Hey everyone,

Continuing our threads that lend insight on recent design changes, we will be sharing some of our Annihilation/Watchman design philosophies and offering perspectives from our extensive internal testing of the new Annihilation/Watchman rotation.

Annihilation/Watchman Rotation Design Philosophy:

• A Responsive and Reactive Rotation: Following our design philosophy of making the Annihilation/Watchman Discipline the most challenging and potentially rewarding Marauder/Sentinel Discipline to play and player feedback that the current Live Annihilation/Watchman Discipline is “boring,” “predictable,” and “easy to play,” we have designed the new rotation to require the use of a varying priority system, rather than a predetermined rotation that fits neatly within some set duration of time, in order to maximize damage output. Players will need to rethink how the rotation plays and respond carefully to each situation to get the most out of the new Annihilation/Watchman Discipline. This design lends itself to a visceral playstyle, which will see a successful Marauder/Sentinel reacting instinctively to each combat situation as it arises. This playstyle should appeal to players that prefer variance over predictability in their combat experiences.

• Never Underestimate Force Rend/Force Melt: From the beginning, Force Rend/Force Melt was designed to be a longer-lasting, damage-heavy DoT ability, and this has not changed with the new rotation design. Force Rend/Force Melt packs quite a prolonged punch and feeds your Rage/Focus regeneration and self healing. Making sure that it is active on any targets that will last for 15 or more seconds is essential to maximizing damage output. Due to its longer duration, it is also an easier DoT spread than Rupture/Cauterize.

• Never Overestimate Dual Saber Throw/Twin Saber Throw: Some abilities are only designed to be used situationally. For example, as an Annihilation Marauder/Watchman Sentinel, you are only intended to use Dual Saber Throw/Twin Saber Throw in multi-target situations, while its damage is boosted by Pulverize/Mind Sear, and/or when stuck at a long distance from your enemy target.

Cheers, all!

John

Just remember John when this game is finally R.I.P it was you that pushed a lot of players away from such a great game due to your horrid decisions and displaying total disregard for classes thanks for killing the sorc, mara and whats next the merc,sniper ?

Just remember John when this game is finally R.I.P it was you that pushed a lot of players away from such a great game due to your horrid decisions and displaying total disregard for classes thanks for killing the sorc, mara and whats next the merc,sniper ?

It is only the Sent/Mara as it stands now, Sorcs/Sages are totally viable for all content. I have one and I am forced to activly play him until my Guardian is HC ready. So stop spitting nonsense, they only hate Sent/Maras.

John, even if you disregard everything else, at least do something about this: The most effective way to play the last PTS build is to clip Master Strike / Ravage after one GCD, every single time. Period.

Reason: Merciless / Annihilate and Dots are far stronger, so they have to be kept on Cooldown, no excuses. 15s on Melt, 6s on Merciless / Annihilate and Cauterize / Rupture can only be played in a way that never leaves two consecutive GCDs in the rotation. Delaying any of the Dots or Merciless / Annihilate for that second GCD of Master Strike will be a DPS loss.

And this is not a Dummy only thing, you will just play for Merciless and Annihilate ESPECIALLY on a PvE boss.

Sorry, but designing a spec in a way that going for max dps has you constantly clip a channel is just very bad design. You guys said that yourselves. Not even mentioning that Master Strike is iconic for Knights and how awesome its animation is, because we're sadly way beyond such luxury by now...