The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yes/No : Would you still play this game if it wasn't branded Star Wars?

HuaRya

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the...! What do you have against Star Wars?! How can you possibly NOT be a Star Wars fan??? Bitter Trekkie upset over JJ's remake? I just don't get it...ARE YOU EVEN HUMAN!??? <-- legit question, cuz nobody doesn't like Star Wars...

LOL. Trekkie! Not bitter, though, just more into science than fantasy. I went from hating Star Wars (too silly for my TNG Trekkie mind) to tolerating it to... liking it, kind of, a little... I started playing this game to fill the gap after ME3 launch was postponed, and in the two weeks between the last beta weekend and early access I watched all 6 episodes, read the swtor books and pre-ordered the CE and the explorer guide. I actually like some parts of the game that many fans deem "un-star-wars-y". But I know they have every right to demand SW stuff in a SW game, so I mostly keep quiet about those things.

LOL. Trekkie! Not bitter, though, just more into science than fantasy. I went from hating Star Wars (too silly for my TNG Trekkie mind) to tolerating it to... liking it, kind of, a little... I started playing this game to fill the gap after ME3 launch was postponed, and in the two weeks between the last beta weekend and early access I watched all 6 episodes, read the swtor books and pre-ordered the CE and the explorer guide. I actually like some parts of the game that many fans deem "un-star-wars-y". But I know they have every right to demand SW stuff in a SW game, so I mostly keep quiet about those things.

I knew it!!! ;) Well we're glad you're here, despite you being a Trekker :)

no.

this game only gets by thanks to the star wars name just like how star trek online gets by with the star trek name. both are awful and both are dying. if this came out without the star wars name then i would still be playing swg even with the nge system in place.

A lot of people assume that SWG would still exist even if this game was not Star Wars. I am pretty sure it would not, that game was even more dead than SWTOR at its worst days when they announced shutting down

It would, but it probably would be F2P in some way by now since that is the trend with current MMOs. It had a stable player base at the end that in no way constituted a shut down like Tabula Rasa (or other MMOs in that situation). It was shut down because of this MMO. LucasArts pulled the plug because even though they're two entirely different kinds of MMOs set in the SW universe, having both would segregate the community, meaning less subs for both games, thus leading to SWG's shutdown to force as many SWG players here as possible and consolidate the SW fanbase into one area.

Short answer: Maybe.

Long answer: I don't play every MMO so it would depend if there was something to draw me in, in the first place. Even if I did play, I likely wouldn't be subbing right now if it wasn't Star Wars. I'd have leveled to 50 played a while and likely quit before RotHC and likely not come back.

What the...! What do you have against Star Wars?! How can you possibly NOT be a Star Wars fan??? Bitter Trekkie upset over JJ's remake? I just don't get it...ARE YOU EVEN HUMAN!??? <-- legit question, cuz nobody doesn't like Star Wars...

LOL, Tux. Not everyone likes Star Wars. And not all the people who aren't huge star wars fans dislike it because they're trek fans either. For me, it's just another enjoyable space-based sci/fi space fantasy IP. I like it well enough, but I don't rave over it.

(I don't get fanatically supportive over much, frankly)

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

LOL, Tux. Not everyone likes Star Wars. And not all the people who aren't huge star wars fans dislike it because they're trek fans either. For me, it's just another enjoyable space-based sci/fi space fantasy IP. I like it well enough, but I don't rave over it.

(I don't get fanatically supportive over much, frankly)

You clearly need medication then ;)

I KID!!! There are only 3 things I'm passionate about...Star Wars, the Packers and my loved ones...sadly, in that order most of the time too :p

You clearly need medication then ;)

I KID!!! There are only 3 things I'm passionate about...Star Wars, the Packers and my loved ones...sadly, in that order most of the time too :p

Hahaha!

I am not a passionate person by nature. I have all the emotional response of a housebrick. I don't get passionate about much at all. Except, perhaps, bad grammar. Mostly, I tend to live my life by the sweaty things/petty things principle. I'm sure you're aware of the old saying :)

Hahaha!

I am not a passionate person by nature. I have all the emotional response of a housebrick. I don't get passionate about much at all. Except, perhaps, bad grammar. Mostly, I tend to live my life by the sweaty things/petty things principle. I'm sure you're aware of the old saying :)

I need to introduce you to my son...he's the same way lol. God forbid I send him a text that isn't formatted properly :eek:

I showed an interest in this game for the same reason I showed an interest for the Mass Effect or Dragon Age series: Bioware.

Sure I make jokes about Bioware Austin all the time but IMO, the Vanilla release, all the way up to RotHC, is pretty much on par with the Bioware I came to know and love.

In other words, being a SW game is secondary to me. Galaxies had SW on it, and I never really got to try it; same with Star Wars Kinect -- or whatever the name was. :o

Edited by Darth_Wicked

.... I never really got to try it; same with Star Wars Kinect -- or whatever the name was. :o

Trust me....don't waste your money on this like I did. Even if you find it brand new and it's $1.00 with a $2.00 rebate. My kids didn't even like it and they were like 7 & 8yrs old when I got it. That was the most disappointing pos SW game since SW Obi Wan. (Which unfortunately I also own. :confused:)

I knew it!!! ;) Well we're glad you're here, despite you being a Trekker :)

hey don't know us Trekkers >_> we are good people. and who knows if not for original series resurrecting interest in sci-fi and space when it comes to TV and movies, if Star wars would have even happened...

anyways, co-exist and all

No... I have only stayed through all the nerfing and class destroying, bugs, exploits and lack of pvp content since launch because it's Star Wars and I am a big StarWars fan

Take StarWars out of the equation and I would have left long ago

Probably would not have ever started. Though it was probably more 50/50 Star Wars and KOTOR.

I think I'm pretty much done with MMOs, spent too long, spending too much time, trying to be the best. ***** exhausting and I'm older now.

Now i just want to see some cool stories unfold. SI is done, chilling at lvl 50 or 51, should finish up SW soon. I'll play the classes that are interesting to 50 and probably take my leave.

shifting gears: I didnt know anyone disliked SWG??? (especially at launch) that game was sweet! haha. And JTL kept me around long after i got bored of the ground game. good times. miss my bothan lol

Edited by EyesOfRed

I didn't say anything about just the last 100-200 years. I was making a specific comparison between delta-tech over 3500 years here on Earth (a huge amount, from copper weapons and the like to space probes landing on comets) versus delta-tech over the same period in the SW universe (not much that's apparent).

And blaming it on an insurmountable technological wall is a bit of a cop-out, really, a sort of deus ex machina imposing an arbitrary rule that prevents them from progressing further.

Your comparing apples to oranges by picking two points in time that are not related from a technological standpoint. As a technological society develops, the scope of future technological advances begins to slow down and plateau. Of course our society will show greater leaps and bounds in technology because we are a young society. The society in Star Wars is ancient, therefore will show a much slower rate of advance over a longer period of time.

It's not a cop out, but the reality of scientific advancement. How has the wheel changed in the last 3500 years? Sure the material a wheel is made out of has changed, but the core of what a wheel is - a round object that rolls has not changed at all in that time period. If you take the last 50 years of our society and compare it with any 50 year period in the last couple of centuries, I think you'll find that the last 50 years has shown a slower rate of advancement, relatively speaking, than any of the others.

I was -9 years old when that masterpiece came out. Had to settle for the re-release (remastered) VHS set to experience the original trilogy for the first time.

To the point, I would probably still play this game if it wasn't branded Star Wars. I am a huge fan of party play (having at least 1 companion with me to allow for multiple potential situations to play out, and tactical variety). Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, KOTOR 2, and Diablo 2 come to mind of the games I've played.

Being set in the Star Wars universe is a plus. Playing through some deep storylines where grouping up with other people is optional and encouraged, is fun in itself. All things considered, I've been playing SWTOR for several months now, and it's a blast so far :D.

Edited by AztecSoul

No, but that's because I wouldn't be playing any MMOs. The only reason I play SWTOR is because it's a good Star Wars game that I wish was single-player, because MMOs are a huge time suck and generally full of unpleasant people I'd prefer not to encounter. lol. Mostly when I play SWTOR, I ignore the multiplayer elements. Occasionally, I'll do FPs or heroics, and I've even done my fair share of Ops, but the kind of time commitment it takes to be good at an MMO is just not my thing.