Just blew $$18 million creds...

Joonbeams

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said in other threads, they didnt do it to prevent free to play/preferred from using it to bypass the credit caps/no credit transfer rules.

Yes i know people want them to think up and implement all kinds of ways to do this while preventing f2p/preferred from cheating the system, but its just easier and simpler to just keep letting everyone spend 2 seconds mailing themselves credits.

(plus, given they couldnt fix SoR raid bosses in three months, do you really want those grand skills messing with the code in regards to your credits? :p )

Back to the point though, THIS is why I wont buy mats. Zero risk in gathering my own. Yes it might take work, but i know i wont be borked by my own innatentivness.

I don't recall BW ever giving a straight answer as to why they chose to not allow credit storage be it on a character by character basis or legacy wide. The reasoning that it could allow F2P and prefs to bypass the cred cap is an assumption made by players nothing more.

Edited by Anaesha

or not checking GTN with millions of credits in any given character.

A moment of silence for us poor people who don't have the choice of doing this.

A 4 mil black/black dye killed me. I'm super content with 250k on me.

The better system is to either pay attention or not checking GTN with millions of credits in any given character.

I find these situations hilarious quite honestly, and even though I don't resort to this kind of behavior, it's no wonder other people do. It clearly pays off -- assuming the OP is legit of course.

I'd have to disagree, I believe it's enough of a problem, that there should be a preventative in place. In no other game have I ever seen this kind of crap happen. The item costs what it costs and you pay it or you don't/can't. I don't see anything funny in being relieved of all your cash by some dbag.

I think this really sucks and proves just how low some people can go. Everyone has a moment of distraction and I just don't think it's right to take advantage of that. Maybe even something as simple as a pop up that says 'are you sure you wish to pay 19 million for blah blah...would help. Not entirely fool proof, but it's an extra little safeguard.

I think the easiest way to protect buyers is by rounding up and not allowing all these decimals. Round it up to the nearest credit, so that it's a straight forward amount. It's a shoddy system and if Bioware cared about it's people, it would do something, but I think this ship has sailed.

Edited by Lunafox

That sucks. Sorry to hear it happen to you.

Surely there has to be a better system put in place, so that people don't get bilked of their money. :(

There is, we can change the range of credits within which we are willing to spend.

Everyone has a moment of distraction and I just don't think it's right to take advantage of that. Maybe even something as simple as a pop up that says 'are you sure you wish to pay 19 million for blah blah...would help. Not entirely fool proof, but it's an extra little safeguard.

There already is a confirmation popup -- assuming you haven't disabled it and aren't distracted when you click it.

Losing that much in one go is tough. Sympathies, OP (and props for owning it).

I 've even seen 'checkunitprice' or 'turnonconfirm' as player names on the GTN, with single units of green mats listed for Millions of credits.

You can't get much more obvious than that, but apparently there are still some players who totally ignore the several safeguards BWEA has already put in place, and want even more stuff to toggle off and ignore

If people are still falling victim to this, the they should do as the OP has done '<Sigh> and say "my fault, live and learn".

Kudos to the OP for admitting it was a mistake and NOT crying for a refund. or "fix"

Should be obvious. They are not exactly comparable.

There is no real life involved within the confines of the fictional universe the game takes place. The OP didn't get his bank account raided.

Instead, he blew away virtual money. Out of clumsiness.

Idiotic, not tragic.

I know you think this "distinction" sounds smart and clever, but it's not. It's a strawman. No one ever said this was "tragic" (you introduced that strawman yourself). What I said was I spent a boatload of time in this virtual space amassing virtual goods. And in a moment of clumsiness, I lost it. Never denied it was a clumsy mistake. And even if it's purely "idiotic", that still doesn't explain why you find that "hilarious." I imagine this is all coolboy persona though because you admit that the RL examples wouldn't be funny. So I think you've exposed that this is just an act on your part. You wouldn't think it was funny if you lost any substantial portion of the things you've amassed playing this game due to a mistake you made (of course, I know you don't make mistakes, and blah blah and this and that. I get it. :rolleyes:). You care enough to play this game, and post here a lot, you care enough to not think it funny if you lost your virtual goods. But keep telling yourself you don't...

I made this mistake once months back, and I lost about 2 million credits. Now I never buy mats on GTN with more than a few hundred credits on my character. That way the scammers show up in red and I can't afford it. Saves me having to do any thinking because usually I am in just too much of a hurry. Edited by gordfather

If its any consolation at least your misfortune amused me.

I'll never be able to grasp this sentiment. Sure, the OP made a stupid mistake, but if this had happened to me I'd feel devastated, so I could never take pleasure from this kind of thing happening to a fellow player.

Create another character.

Make sure you have a Stronghold, a GTN terminal, mailbox and a legacy bank. - easy enough to buy/craft /unlock.

- park that new character in your SH - then send them some credits to spend. Use that new character to make purchases from the GTN and dump the purchases in the legacy bank.. - That way they have a credit limit - which you can set and top up from your main character - Easy.

OR: use the alternate character as a bank, and keep pocket change (few hundred K or whatever) on your primary character.

Most of my minor chars have about 1/2M to a million each. My primaries have all the amassed fortune. - And they NEVER make spur-of-the-moment purchases.

You know you're clutching at straws when you deem necessary to bring up real-life examples.

You lost virtual money, not the keys to your condo apartment. :rolleyes:

I'd say losing luxury items in the "real world" cannot be considered a greater harm than a loss in a virtual world. And let's face it, the majority of stuff in our homes can be considered luxury, as in "not necessary for survival", or in ingame terms "fluff" or "purely cosmetic".

The fact is, time is a limited resource for all of us and whether we spend that time earning money to buy a TV set or playing a game to earn virtual money, doesn't really matter. If we lose the fruit of our labor through a mistake we make, I wouldn't call that funny, either.

Of course, if it's not the TV set but the food you bought with your hard earned money, that gets stolen, and it means you will have nothing to eat for a few days, then it's a different matter. But I think in most cases thieves would rather take the TV set in the living room than the food in the fridge.

The artificial distinction between virtual and real is moot, considering it took time to get something, that is lost through a mistake.

My own fault. I was on the phone, rushing, doing conquest, not paying attention. And bought two stacks of green mats for $9 million each, when I thought I was spending $90K. Never happened to me before. No one to blame but me, solely, squarely. I'm just pissed that I'm one of the suckers who let these frauds fleece easy credits, unearned credits. Took me years of casual play to build that stack - gone in seconds.

Anyway, not asking for any changes. No fixes. No blame but myself. Just venting frustration and disgust.

If you can afford to spend 18 million dollars on a video game, I honestly don't feel sorry for you.

My own fault. I was on the phone, rushing, doing conquest, not paying attention. And bought two stacks of green mats for $9 million each, when I thought I was spending $90K. Never happened to me before. No one to blame but me, solely, squarely. I'm just pissed that I'm one of the suckers who let these frauds fleece easy credits, unearned credits. Took me years of casual play to build that stack - gone in seconds.

Anyway, not asking for any changes. No fixes. No blame but myself. Just venting frustration and disgust.

There is only one solution, re-list these stacks for 9.9 million a piece and hope someone else makes your same mistake.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost 18mill.

This is actually a good example of WHY we need some place to store the credits that we don't use other then in our characters pockets.

There are safeguards in place already.

1) Store all unwanted credits on an Alt that you do not go near the GTN with. For the relatively minor cost of 5 creds per in game mail you can even send bundles of credits and have them waiting on the mailbox if you need it.

2) Click the 'unit price' column a couple of times to make sure the prices are sorted in the right order. If you've taken the additional step of isolating the item you want to purchase this should make it easy to see the over priced items.

3) Don't use the GTN if you are in a rush or drunk ;)

I'd have to disagree, I believe it's enough of a problem, that there should be a preventative in place.
theres no preventative measure that can keep people that cant read numbers from being able to read them. they already are given an "are you sure" prompt and the price is clearly labelled.

In no other game have I ever seen this kind of crap happen.
this happens in every mmo.

I think this really sucks and proves just how low some people can go. Everyone has a moment of distraction and I just don't think it's right to take advantage of that. Maybe even something as simple as a pop up that says 'are you sure you wish to pay 19 million for blah blah...would help. Not entirely fool proof, but it's an extra little safeguard.

I think the easiest way to protect buyers is by rounding up and not allowing all these decimals. Round it up to the nearest credit, so that it's a straight forward amount. It's a shoddy system and if Bioware cared about it's people, it would do something, but I think this ship has sailed.

the price is right there, i can understand mistakes but then own that mistake. because that's what it is. no one's fault but the buyer.

I'd say losing luxury items in the "real world" cannot be considered a greater harm than a loss in a virtual world. And let's face it, the majority of stuff in our homes can be considered luxury, as in "not necessary for survival", or in ingame terms "fluff" or "purely cosmetic".

The fact is, time is a limited resource for all of us and whether we spend that time earning money to buy a TV set or playing a game to earn virtual money, doesn't really matter. If we lose the fruit of our labor through a mistake we make, I wouldn't call that funny, either.

Of course, if it's not the TV set but the food you bought with your hard earned money, that gets stolen, and it means you will have nothing to eat for a few days, then it's a different matter. But I think in most cases thieves would rather take the TV set in the living room than the food in the fridge.

The artificial distinction between virtual and real is moot, considering it took time to get something, that is lost through a mistake.

youre conflating the issue; you're making an argument for being upset by the loss of virtual currency and that is valid. losing anything you spent time to build whether its real or not can cause pain.

trying to say there's no artificial distinction between virtual currency and real currency that can actually be used to be capital assets is disingenuous at best.

There are safeguards in place already.

1) Store all unwanted credits on an Alt that you do not go near the GTN with. For the relatively minor cost of 5 creds per in game mail you can even send bundles of credits and have them waiting on the mailbox if you need it.

2) Click the 'unit price' column a couple of times to make sure the prices are sorted in the right order. If you've taken the additional step of isolating the item you want to purchase this should make it easy to see the over priced items.

3) Don't use the GTN if you are in a rush or drunk ;)

#1 isn't really a safeguard per say since it isn't actually a system implemented by the Devs.

#2 is something I do all the time given the sheer number of GTN scammers there are.

#3 well that's just good advise everyone shoould follow. :D:p

Report it. Send a PM to Tait and Eric here too - It's enough of an issue that a change needs to happen. Bioware is the only one capable of taking care of this by punishing the scammers. If they do nothing, quit. It's the only language they understand.

you can keep trying to raise attention to the concern but they've already commented on it.

if you can manage to change their minds now then kudos. i just dont think this should be any priority over fixing the game or adding content since this is a simple matter of players making mistakes they can easily avoid.