Ravagers Exploit Action Update

EricMusco

Response to this will be interesting. While it may be true that most players did not use this exploit, because it required a new Ops clear the likelihood is that the people who used this exploit are the more hardcore/dedicated players. The ones already level 60 and who could raid, or who were in a raiding guild.

Anything greater than a trivial penalty could be devastating to the raiding community.

For this (and for other reasons) it's a lot better to try to nip issues in the bud instead of letting them fester and grow and then having to hack off an entire gangrenous limb later on. I really don't understand how Bioware could let this go on for a whole month. What a mess.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one forced you to do the exploit. You did it because for some reason you might've felt entitled to it because the game has issues. That's a stupid *********** attempt at justification. An exploit like this is something that really needs to be addressed and punishments dealt.

Why? How does the fact that anyone did the exploit negatively affect your game experience? It's not like people hacked the game or used 3rd party software. The entered and clicked a broke *** operation. Why does it matter to you if they get punished? You're just a bitter venoumous person who enjoys it when bad things happen to others.

You're just a bitter venoumous person who enjoys it when bad things happen to others.

Grieve some more.

In the process, make it sound like it's Bioware's fault entirely, as if they were exercising some kind of mind control on you; poor thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

On a personal note every single person crying out for punishment for something that does not affect their ability to play the game in the slightest are far worse than any exploiter could ever be..

People's (at least most of them) perception of right and wrong is not only functional when it affects them, when someone exploits and doesn't get punished it sets a precedent for their sort of behavoir. So just because this particular time it doesn't affect me I as a player I need to make sure it doesn't get a pass because when the next exploit affects me it might be hard to find people who will sympathize with me.

Edited by znihilist

Why? How does the fact that anyone did the exploit negatively affect your game experience? It's not like people hacked the game or used 3rd party software. The entered and clicked a broke *** operation. Why does it matter to you if they get punished? You're just a bitter venoumous person who enjoys it when bad things happen to others.

Do you truly not see the irony of making posts like these yet accusing other people of being venomous?

You forgot Stage 3

That's where everyone who paid $20 of their hard earned money for a broke expansion and then did what everyone else in their guild did, and hundreds if not thousands of others did get punished for getting some free loot unsub and quit the game. Stage 3 culminates with a drastic reduction in Cartel Market sales and subscriptions as well as a negative word of mouth backlash reducing the number of new players entering the game. Ultimately Stage 3 ends with what for all intents and purposes is the death of SWTOR. It won't happen next week or next month but I know a lot of people with their hand on the unsub button about this. We'll see how those crying for bans and punishment feel when that happens.

On a personal note every single person crying out for punishment for something that does not affect their ability to play the game in the slightest are far worse than any exploiter could ever be. This was my first MMO and experiencing this community first hand has insured that when the time comes it will be my last. You are truly terrible people who are celebrating the possibility that bad things will happen to others.

On the contrary, this is a positive sign that exploiters are not tolerated in SWTOR. No one wants to play in a game full of cheaters, so taking a hard stance on exploiters is better in the long run than giving the handful of cheaters a free pass and showing the playerbase that exploiting is okay in the future.

Musco says that most players did not participate in the exploit, and lacking any other official information, we have to accept that and understand that the impact of banned players will be negligible.

now im starting to question all the times i was told "sorry we cant determine that" when i was screwed out of getting loot during boss fights.

they were lying then or now. or maybe their incompetence is just with tracking loot. i imagine tracking instance IDs etc is doable but not the loot gained/modded.

In company speak, "we can't do that" really means "there is no profit for us if we do that."

Oh man, Eric and the dev team are trolling the forums hard. Do they really have a bet going to see how long they can make this farce last and keep the forums riled up?

Or even better, is this the build up to the best April fools prank ever? Like they're just going to keep stringing it along 'Oh we're going to do something not nice to those bad people' then come April 1st no one can log in to the game. Then they'll come to the forums and be all like 'Oh well we discovered this exploit went beyond what we expected and decided just to ban everyone to be safe.' Then we'll all be like 'Oh nos! My game! I can't play my beloved (or most hated) game!' And Eric and the dev team will all be ROFLing in their office. Then a few hours later they'll let us all log in, come clean and explain that in reality there never was an exploit in the first place and this was all part of their plan to have the best corporate April fool's prank the internet has ever seen. At which point we will all tip our hats in congratulations to BW proclaiming 'Well played, BW, well played.' Of course a few people will totally lose their minds and

This will no doubt prompt the most important question ever to be asked in these forums.

Aw man, I poked a hole in my tinfoil hat, does anyone have some gum?

Edited by Frybert

Everyone who did it could cleary identify it as an exploit and even if someone did not :rolleyes: :

Ignorantia legis non excusat

Sure. Just as Ultimate comms for level 55 Ops was an obvious "exploit" as well? Bioware went through all the work of removing all your elite and ult comms, you can't pretend you thought it was ok to get them by doing easier content. Just...one took more time to do than the other, right?!

No one forced you to do the exploit. You did it because for some reason you might've felt entitled to it because the game has issues. That's a stupid *********** attempt at justification. An exploit like this is something that really needs to be addressed and punishments dealt.

Hmm yet, I know someone who did the exploit, recorded it on YouTube (private video) to show how it was done, how it can be easily passed on and sent it in as a CS ticket and is now scared to high hell he'll lose his account for trying to help the game due to no response from CS.

Neither he nor I knew of the exploit (this occurred before Musco's post) and when we found it out wanted to get as much info to send to CS. Should he get banned? I don't think so.

Edited by Aienir

Response to this will be interesting. While it may be true that most players did not use this exploit, because it required a new Ops clear the likelihood is that the people who used this exploit are the more hardcore/dedicated players. The ones already level 60 and who could raid, or who were in a raiding guild.

Anything greater than a trivial penalty could be devastating to the raiding community.

For this (and for other reasons) it's a lot better to try to nip issues in the bud instead of letting them fester and grow and then having to hack off an entire gangrenous limb later on. I really don't understand how Bioware could let this go on for a whole month. What a mess.

Compounded by the fact that BioWare has never tried to dissuade exploitation in the past. Look at Nefra, Dash'rode, Bestia. Their approach had been to hide the dirty laundry, and it sure backfired this time.

You really let this get out of hand Musco.

Sure. Just as Ultimate comms for level 55 Ops was an obvious "exploit" as well? Bioware went through all the work of removing all your elite and ult comms, you can't pretend you thought it was ok to get them by doing easier content. Just...one took more time to do than the other, right?!

You're trying too hard.

Eric, you guys should just leave things alone at this point. I did not partake of the exploit, I know several who did. The exploit was due to your (Bioware's) mistake not the players. You knew about it for weeks and maybe even before the xpack released and did not hotfix it allowing it to remain in the game for around 6 weeks. You can't punish people for Bioware's mistakes or the fact that you did not respond or police this issue in anything like a timely or speedy manner. I.E. fix the exploit but don't ban people.

If I set out a suitcase full of money on the curb and let it sit there for 6 weeks am I supposed to act all shocked and heartbroken that the case disappears at some point? That's ridiculous. Secondly, this is a video game, it's not real life nor is it supposed to emulate real life. No player and I do mean NONE, we're effected by this exploit whether 1 person took advantage or 10000000. Play time, real time cash, enjoyment, NOTHING was effected. Stop trying to take out your company frustrations for releasing a rather embarrassing expansion, riddled with bugs and exploits at paying players. People are going to quit over this. Posture and state whatever you need to, "Don't do that again or else" or whatever you need to but don't ban them.... this game can't handle anymore ill will or bad press right now.

All people seem to want is vengence on those who found an oversite in the development teams blindness. Punish in private, praise in public

Compounded by the fact that BioWare has never tried to dissuade exploitation in the past. Look at Nefra, Dash'rode, Bestia. Their approach had been to hide the dirty laundry, and it sure backfired this time.

You really let this get out of hand Musco.

There's always a first time I believe. Maybe this is it.

Time will tell I guess.

Are you seriously trying to compare the two?

Are you seriously trying to compare the two?

Desperation usually leads to inane comments.

In the process, he fails to point out that lockouts for LV55 operations were working as intended, in addition to the fact it rewarded players the same way it had... FOR MONTHS on end.

As I said, desperation. Presumably.

You forgot Stage 3

That's where everyone who paid $20 of their hard earned money for a broke expansion and then did what everyone else in their guild did, and hundreds if not thousands of others did get punished for getting some free loot unsub and quit the game. Stage 3 culminates with a drastic reduction in Cartel Market sales and subscriptions as well as a negative word of mouth backlash reducing the number of new players entering the game. Ultimately Stage 3 ends with what for all intents and purposes is the death of SWTOR. It won't happen next week or next month but I know a lot of people with their hand on the unsub button about this. We'll see how those crying for bans and punishment feel when that happens.

On a personal note every single person crying out for punishment for something that does not affect their ability to play the game in the slightest are far worse than any exploiter could ever be. This was my first MMO and experiencing this community first hand has insured that when the time comes it will be my last. You are truly terrible people who are celebrating the possibility that bad things will happen to others.

My guild didn't do the Coratanni's exploit, aside from one person that's admitted it, and possibly 1 other (since they run in the same circle of friends that were doing the exploit). So that's 2 possible people out of my guild of 150+ accounts. The only thing an outright ban of everyone who did the exploit even once would do to my guild would be to lengthen the PvP queue times. Everything else we can run in-house.

But in all honesty, they won't outright ban everyone. They will roll-back the gains, temp ban on the accounts that used it as much as possible, perm ban on accounts that spread the exploit, or sold it for profit. And if you expect them to say anything more than "actions were taken," then you need to lower your expectations. No big company will legally shoot themselves in the foot by actually saying more than that.

Here is a hypothetical question in regards to the exploit.

You personally did not run characters through the exploit.

You did however purchase a shiny new barrel or hilt at a dramatically reduced price in the past week or two....or bought a crafting mat at a greatly reduced price to have one made from the umpteen people advertising they were crafting them for mats of late.

Did you take part in the exploit?

Before you quickly say no....how certain are you that the crafting mats used to make that barrel or hilt were not from the exploit or even that the maker of your barrel or hilt did not get the pattern to make it from the exploit?

Edited by jediloki

Bioware let this exploit sit unchecked from the 3.0 PTS. It was reported as a bug by players on the PTS. It is your own fault for launching a glitched and bugged expansion that you rushed out of the door before your company left for christmas vacation. Dont ban people for using something that you knew about for well over a month and did nothing about. 3.0 screwed up the bolster system again, bugged the final revan fight and had a few other things wrong with it. You need to look at your employees and management before even thinking about starting to ban player that make up the subsciber base that you need to even keep your team employed. Edited by Karolinakracka

I'm genuinely curious to see what people think of this (posted it earlier but it got buried it seems)

I know someone who did the exploit, recorded it on YouTube (private video) to show how it was done, how it can be easily passed on and sent it in as a CS ticket and is now scared to high hell he'll lose his account for trying to help the game due to no response from CS.

Neither he nor I knew of the exploit (this occurred before Musco's post) and when we found it out wanted to get as much info to send to CS. Should he get banned? I don't think so.

Should a person like this be included in the punishment?

Instead of blaming people with the exploit you should go and learn how to make real MMO game as this is not the 1st time to happen i find that this game have no right to blame any one for doing exploit if the game developer cant fix it then he or she should be replaced with real skilled developers that know how to make normal MMO game without exploit and if SWTOR even ban one person i will stop playing this game as it have rubbish game developers that blame people for there mistakes...

Buh bye...and no I dont what your stuff...