What is the point of housing?

Songano

I don't understand your fixation on people making things float. What is the relevance? Why are you so concerned about it? It has nothing to do with you.

It's just laughable how you are trying to compare a video game to real life. Of course I'm not making my bed suspend. Mostly because it impossible.

Video games and video game environments are built to suspend reality. Not mimic it as closely as possible. Even then, If I want to use your logic, where are my hook points in my house? Oh wait, they don't exist. That would be stupid.

I'll match your google image search with youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swg+housing

Every decorated house you visited in swg was completely unique.

I saw plenty of houses in SWG that were just very similar to their neighbors houses.

Sure there were a few that really made an effort.

But to claim that you cannot make the houses in SW:TOR your "home" is just bull.

They won't be identical except for the layout of the house itself.

But that's not what you are complaining about. You are complaining about the hooks system and claiming that "all houses will look the same because you can't place everything 100% freely".

Time will prove you wrong on that one.

Because people are more creative than you give them credit.

In fact, the most creative people are those who manage to create unique things despite restrictions. Someone who needs complete freedom to create something is not creative in the first place if you ask me.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I remember most vividly about SWG was all the player created villages spread out over all the planets with all kinds of buildings set up and created by players.

Players who were no longer playing...

Ghost towns... ghost towns everywhere.

That is what I remember most about SWG.

Not a "living breathing world"

Yep, this is exactly how I remember it too. That and houses were sometimes placed over spawn points making things a bit awkward by being attacked through the floor by unseen npcs.

I saw plenty of houses in SWG that were just very similar to their neighbors houses.

Sure there were a few that really made an effort.

But to claim that you cannot make the houses in SW:TOR your "home" is just bull.

They won't be identical except for the layout of the house itself.

But that's not what you are complaining about. You are complaining about the hooks system and claiming that "all houses will look the same because you can't place everything 100% freely".

Time will prove you wrong on that one.

Because people are more creative than you give them credit.

In fact, the most creative people are those who manage to create unique things despite restrictions. Someone who needs complete freedom to create something is not creative in the first place if you ask me.

You're really grasping at straws in your efforts to be insulting. That sentence is worthy of a facepalm.

People will find ways to be creative in spite of the restrictions. But at the end of the day they will always have those restrictions that inherently limit their creativity. People will just grow bored with it.

What I remember most vividly about SWG was all the player created villages spread out over all the planets with all kinds of buildings set up and created by players.

Players who were no longer playing...

Ghost towns... ghost towns everywhere.

That is what I remember most about SWG.

Not a "living breathing world"

That tends to happen when your CEO decides he doesn't like having customers anymore and takes two massive dumps on his game. It had nothing to do with the housing system.

The game in it's "golden age" was a living, breathing world. It was a sandbox. Players made most of the content. And their was always something to do back in the day.

Edited by Vinak

^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

You still at it lol?

Must really rustle your jimmies that the 2nd expansion is indeed hitting this year lol.

You're really grasping at straws in your efforts to be insulting. That sentence is worthy of a facepalm.

People will find ways to be creative in spite of the restrictions. But at the end of the day they will always have those restrictions that inherently limit their creativity. People will just grow bored with it.

Tell that to painters who are inherently restricted by their own medium. They can try painting on walls or using aribrushes to paint or even bodyparts to make shapes.

But inherently there are restrictions to painting. You try painting in three dimensions... It's not easily achieved by using only paint and a brush.

That tends to happen with your CEO decides he doesn't like having customers anymore and takes two massive dumps on his game. It had nothing to do with the housing system.

The game in it's "golden age" was a living, breathing world. It was a sandbox. Players made most of the content. And their was always something to do back in the day.

I was there in the hayday, before NGE and before WoW... and there were plenty of dead towns then too.

You have rose-tinted glasses on it would seem.

Hell, I even ran into crafters who were so bored that they gave away entire outfits and stuff for free... Sure, players made most of the content, but alot of that was crap.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Look.

The housing system will NOT be as good as the housing in SWG. That`s obvious. The engine of swtor is just too restrictive and doesn`t allow much.

However the hook system looks quite good from what I saw.

When it comes live I think it`s still raw and the first thing they need to see is if the engine can handle all the features. Then they can start to implent more things to improve and mke the housing more lively: Make companions able to walk around, dance, chatter with other companions, even if only on the same spot.

Also people being able to enter a stronghold when the user is ofline. I mean I don´t think they are sure if the engine is able to make 1000 of people come to a stronghold like that. But I hope it will be implemented.

Also more things to interact with. Also maybe be able to adjust heights of decorations. Stuff like that.

What comes out will be the raw version I think but I am sure they can add a lot of things to that.

Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?

The purpose was to goad you and people like you into making threads about it.

You mean it's too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the picky crowd... Alot of people who have tried housing in other games still like the one we get here.

I find that it's mainly people from SWG that are upset that it's not a carbon copy of SWG.

The truth is that this version of housing is utterly bland compared to the creations I saw and helped make a reality in SWG. You have no concept whatsoever of the creative ability of some people. This is just uninspired and effortless.

This is partially due to the fact that SWTOR is actually running on a modified/beta version of an old version of the Hero engine. If they bothered to ever upgrade the engine to the current version of hero, they could do a lot more. The SWTOR engine is a version of Hero engine that is nearing a decade old in four years. So it isn't shocking, due to the fact that what they are working with is absolutely ancient technology by most standards.

but they won't because :effort:

Edited by Vashy

I would agree, and even buy into the concept, if, the houses were not instanced separately. There was nothing wrong with Lotros neighbourhood system, where you looked and around bought the house you liked the look of, in the location you liked best. If someone else had that spot, you went to another instance until you found your spot vacant.

Without having neighbours, or at the least the simulation of them, it is just another single player dolls house mini game.

5 years of Lotro and I had seen a neighbor exactly once. Then my friends and I decided to make free alts and buy out our own neighborhood just so it wouldn't seem so vacant.

If you want to simulate neighbors, get some placeable NPCs and pretend one level is a public hallway.

See, perfect example of the game's defenders saying exactly that...

They are doing just what is required to get people like you to rush to their defense.

So someone saying that they are still putting out content and that said content is still content even if you don't happen to like it (which is in fact accurate) makes them a defender of EA/BW or whoever?

I'm not sure which is more pathetic here that logic of yours or you personally for having to use cheap labeling/name calling to try and get your way because you can't debate your position properly.

Edited by Anaesha

They are doing just what is required to get people like you to rush to their defense.

The last content patch WoW had was in Sept 2013. Guess that game is in maintenance mode as well and being run by a skeleton crew.

Either that or you don't have a firm grasp of what maintenance mode means.

And I'm only talking about this forum.

But alot of the people who have said they wished it was more like SWG often also refer to wildstar as the "bright example" of how to do it.

Ok, well thats fair IMO. It does seem most folks in this forum that speak of the bane of hooks mention SWG.

You are just bitter to the core aren't you?

Where did the big bad game touch you? Can you show us on this doll? :rolleyes:

You can't claim that the game is in maintenance mode when they are still pumping out content. We are getting 2 expansions this year. One of which is already up on the PTS.

The only way you could claim that this game is in maintenance mode is if you consider anything that doesn't release new content every 3 weeks as being in "maintenance mode"

......only makes you look like a fool.

Sound foolish infernixx....look like a fool is a violation of the rules. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Also, I think the original dev team had a hand in creating the "I hate swtor" fan club, considering their arrogant behavior and stubbornness in the past IMO.

I think it's a bit silly now to continue to spew rhetoric against this game though in the face of the new dev team, which has mostly been doing a bang up job IMO....with a few missteps from my perspective. Not to mention the games performance, which looks pretty good compared to it's abysmal performance before the old team got the boot.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge all folks that indicate they like the current system and defend it as "Biodrones" or "game defenders"....I think it's more likely they are simply expressing their satisfaction with the current system.

Look, frankly there were folks that liked the original PVE space combat feature.

I don't think it's wise to deride anyone for enjoying or hating a particular feature and expressing as much. That is the what the forum is for...but it's a bit silly to put so much effort into changing opinions.

I think we can express our opinions without railing against those that do not agree with us.

Look.

When it comes live I think it`s still raw and the first thing they need to see is if the engine can handle all the features. Then they can start to implent more things to improve and mke the housing more lively: Make companions able to walk around, dance, chatter with other companions, even if only on the same spot.

I hope you are right. My pets move about in place and even make noises, but my companions are all playing living statues. I also hope they re-think the companion/hologram business. It's rather creepy. :(

To answer the original question of what the point is, for me I'm placing a legacy + bank + mailbox + gtn as close to the character spawn point I can. Loading screen to the stronghold is extremely (for this game) short on PTS so even just hopping around them to reset gathering missions for companions is going to be great.

Fact I can pimp out the other rooms the way I prefer is a nice bonus. :p

Edited by aeterno