What is the point of housing?

Songano

Yes, that's fine, but if it is the only major thing launched in a 6 month window of time... it isn't enough...

This should have been an add-on, not the main course...

Whole new feature released for free while they simultaneously work on a brand new level-increasing expansion to be released within a few months?

While other games make their players wait more than a year for 'any' new content and their developers whine about 'lack of resources' while developing lackluster expansion?

Seems to me like people expect TOR to perform above and beyond the accepted norms for the MMO market and are still dismissed for doing that above-average stuff 'fast enough.'

makes me laugh to see it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SWTOR engine is a version of Hero engine that is nearing a decade old in four years.

Nearing a decade old in four years?

So, in other words, it's not really anywhere near a decade old at all...

unless you consider near to be a only a little over halfway there.

Edited by nickicn

What is the point of raiding?

What is the point of PvP?

What is the point of denigrating content that someone else enjoys, even if you don't?

We're all wasting time here. If some choose to waste it in a different way than you, that doesn't make your way any less pointless.

The point is that all those others things were built to be part of the natural progression and gameplay in the game. It's the purpose for playing the game once the storyline (the main selling feature is completed). They are gameplay features that appeal to a the largest part of the overall gaming community after PvE.

It means that content that appeals to the wider playerbase was not created because time and resources were wasted creating an Interior Designer program that by admissions on the forums most players wont even use to full capacity.

Quite frankly, if one wants to play interior designer, they can use Sweet Home 3D for free:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

The point of housing is suppose to be a small addition of something to kill your time and bring some fun and entertainment when you are not out in the world.

Will SWTOR be able to bring that with their housing? Not sure just yet.

The reason God made the Great Outdoors was to give gamers something to do when they need a break from stabbing things in the face with a lightsaber.

Edited by TravelersWay

The point is that all those others things were built to be part of the natural progression and gameplay in the game. It's the purpose for playing the game once the storyline (the main selling feature is completed). They are gameplay features that appeal to a the largest part of the overall gaming community after PvE.

It means that content that appeals to the wider playerbase was not created because time and resources were wasted creating an Interior Designer program that by admissions on the forums most players wont even use to full capacity.

Quite frankly, if one wants to play interior designer, they can use Sweet Home 3D for free:

The reason God made the Great Outdoors was to give gamers something to do when they need a break from stabbing things in the face with a lightsaber.

Well, me and my bad leg appreciate you telling me what I should be doing when I get tired of killing stuff in TOR. Maybe you can come over and help me limp around outdoors, hmm?

Could you 'be' anymore condescending?

Nearing a decade old in four years?

So, in other words, it's not really anywhere near a decade old at all...

unless you consider near to be a only a little over halfway there.

For what it's worth, I read Vashy's post as "in four years, the Hero Engine will be near a decade old"

I don't know enough about the history of the Hero engine to know if that's an accurate statement, however.

Edited by Khevar

But you forget there are players that don't like pvp and will not pvp and there are players that don't like raiding and won't raid so based on your analogy that is a waste of resources for them as well.

People like different things and not one thing is going to please everyone all the time. There are things I don't like but I realize that there are others that do so I accept the fact Bioware is going to add things from time to time that I don't like.

And from my circle of influence with the people I know and my guild this does interest them. I think for the most part what interests people will vary greatly depending on your circle of influence and your playstyle.

God created everything and I don't remember him specifically mentioning that the Great outdoors was specifically for gamers. I don't recall that being in the book of Genesis regarding creation. (Genesis 1: 1-31)

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Other players not being able to see what I have done in my house without being in my group is the deal breaker for me. But I also refuse to go back and do the old level 50 Ops to get items. I have already done them for a year tanking dpsing and healing.

Other players not being able to see what I have done in my house without being in my group is the deal breaker for me. But I also refuse to go back and do the old level 50 Ops to get items. I have already done them for a year tanking dpsing and healing.

Eh? If you open the house up to public listing, ANYONE can go to your house and look at what you have done in your house.

Nobody has to group for it.

I'm going to use it to

1) finally get my storage close to the mailbox and GTN;

2) get as many harvestable nodes as possible;

3) have my alts finally use legacy storage, not multiple mails after each crafting session;

4) arrange a nice apartment just because I can;

5) make some money on the mats/tokens;

6) if possible, reap the benefits of Dat Guildship.

Edited by Kulyok

And Only 4 people can be on your ship at once which makes a stronghold usable for guild rp in a way that our ships are not.

Also, this revives crafting. The cartel market made synth and Armormech virtually useless. They now have function again. All those mats that were useless are now valuable again. Having played on the PTS, I can say that the strongholds and the crafting are fun and add a lot of gameplay.

The big question is why not add something that many people want? Because a few people don't want it? That makes no sense. Don't buy it if you don't want it and call it a day.

Edited by errant_knight

Alright, so you don't want to waste time with housing... then don't. So many of these posts are "I don't understand why there is housing?". Well because for years now people have wanted it. Now their getting it. Just because the minority on these forums doesn't see the point doesn't mean others don't. Not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the aspects of the game you do enjoy I'm also not saying to shouldn't not agree with things they add. But all the topics created since they announced make it seem like them adding housing is game breaking for you.

Only housing I ever did was in Everquest 2. If it's like that was/is I'll be happy. I was able to make Bordellos, homes for showing off, etc. Heck, in EQ2, all I EVER did was decorate my homes. Even made a carpenter to do nothing but create furniture for my homes. I couldn't really sit or sleep, but I liked looking and decorating it.

If SWTOR's housing is similar to EQ2's, I'll be in heaven. And broke....>.>

Only housing I ever did was in Everquest 2. If it's like that was/is I'll be happy. I was able to make Bordellos, homes for showing off, etc. Heck, in EQ2, all I EVER did was decorate my homes. Even made a carpenter to do nothing but create furniture for my homes. I couldn't really sit or sleep, but I liked looking and decorating it.

If SWTOR's housing is similar to EQ2's, I'll be in heaven. And broke....>.>

You should watch the archived streams here it will give you a good idea of what TOR's Housing is like

To funnel money into the cartel market

QFE

After my recent Customer Service fiasco, I'm thoroughly convinced that Bioware cares about your enjoyment of the game as much as Comcast cares about whether or not you're going to stay with them being your ISP (not at all). Not surprising, once EA gets their claws in you, gg.

Alright, so you don't want to waste time with housing... then don't. So many of these posts are "I don't understand why there is housing?". Well because for years now people have wanted it. Now their getting it. Just because the minority on these forums doesn't see the point doesn't mean others don't. Not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the aspects of the game you do enjoy I'm also not saying to shouldn't not agree with things they add. But all the topics created since they announced make it seem like them adding housing is game breaking for you.

They're trying to excite the large amount of people who unsubbed a while back into subbing again, seems as though it has worked for now (how successfully, not sure). My guild was big into SWG, and player housing was part of why they loved the game. A bunch of them (a dozen tops) resubbed just to see what the housing / guild ships are going to be like. It'll be another month that Bioware can rake in heaps of cash before people become uninterested again. I'm hoping players will see the folly of the perpetual carrot on a string and move on.

I'm going to use it to

1) finally get my storage close to the mailbox and GTN

^^This! :)

No more running around a ship because the mailbox, cargo, and GTN are in separate locations.

Bonus: For me, no frozen, creepy companions nearby when I'm using the mailbox, cargo, or GTN.

I hope practice dummies can also be obtained, and placed, within a stronghold. I want the Tatooine Stronghold. Placing a practice dummy outside, with space to move around it, would be awesome. The ship practice dummies are always against a wall or hull.

Edited by Nmyownworld

I am a little concerned and disappointed with the information I have looked at on housing because I was playing Wildstar (until I just cancelled my sub for other reasons) and I had an absolute blast with the mostly free-placement ability they have.

I was able to be creative and funny with my choice of interior and exterior setups and spent many hours creating an area akin to my personality. I was hoping the swtor creators would have some semblance of this but I fear that one place will be pretty much like another but we shall see how it goes with time.

QFT

Personally, I couldn't care less about housing... it doesn't fit my play style. But, I am happy that others are happy.

For me, I enjoy Group Content (FP, Ops, and dabbling in PvP)... If it increases their enjoyment, brings people to the game, or brings people to rerun ops/fp's that they have given up on... that works for me... because adds life into the aspect of the games I enjoy. More people wanting to run Ops, FP's, PvP to get what they need for their Interior Decorating ambitions = faster forming of teams, faster queue pops.... how could this be a bad thing?

Would I have preferred new ops, fps, etc... absolutely. But I do not begrudge those who are excited for the aspects of the game being released that they have been asking for and wanting. Based on the teaser posts on Manaan and Forged Alliances, I am happy to wait a bit longer.

I am more excited for the Guild Ships and Strongholds to be honest (like I said, I prefer group content)... in that way, (Since the Guild Strongholds are the same layout/location as the player housing), that has excited me. I've seen an uptick in guild activity (be it to donate towards a guildship... or because they are wanting to save up funds for their own housing... either way.. activity is up.