Area Transition Issues

EricMusco

Too late! You should have lead with that and ended with if it was what you wanted to "simply say."

No, it is exactly what you characterized is as: silly. After all this, you are (unlike many other posters) obviously not on my ignore list - so obviously I respect you some, enough in fact to believe you'd take that silly parenthetical for the childish kidding around that I meant it to be. Am I using the wrong emoticon?

Then I owe you two apologies.

I hope you do not take our spirited debate as a sign I do not respect your opinion. Far from it. I mistook that last statement (which I must admit disappointed me as it seemed beneath you based on MY assumed intent) and the clarification reveals my folly.

It is my hope we continue to exchange dialog, spirited or not in the future. It is likely this will not be the last time we may not "meet minds" on a particular idea or issue.

You couldn't use the wrong emoticon...that is just my "kryptonite", so to speak ;)

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my hope we continue to exchange dialog, spirited or not in the future. It is likely this will not be the last time we may not "meet minds" on a particular idea or issue.

I share that hope. A little mutual respect does wonders; too bad its so rare, both in RL and the forums.

We are waiting in front of the NiM Nefra now and we see that the Nightmare Power Buff icon is gone, but HP stays the same. So is the Buff gone? Or you changed your plans? Or what is exactly happening with the Nightmare Mode? I would appriciate some informations regarding this situation.

This. Among with the 1,000 other things broken, we noticed this too.

Probably easier to name the few remaining working parts of the game, than the broken stuff :D

I first tried logging in today after the latest patch and got very long loading times, guild is gone from some (and I know I wasn't kicked) and game tries to claim Im F2P even my sub is valid until November.

I hope for quick fix like everyone else. Right now SWTOR is unplayable for me.

People decrying the game as unplayable are exaggerating. When I was on last night, there were as many people logged in to the several planets I went to as there usually is. I played for a couple of hours on coruscant, including running the Esseles. I found that it took longer for the game to detect that you were trying to transition to a new area. That's it.

I understand the motivation behind wanting to exaggerate, but it doesn't really help to do so.

People decrying the game as unplayable are exaggerating. When I was on last night, there were as many people logged in to the several planets I went to as there usually is. I played for a couple of hours on coruscant, including running the Esseles. I found that it took longer for the game to detect that you were trying to transition to a new area. That's it.

I understand the motivation behind wanting to exaggerate, but it doesn't really help to do so.

I understand what you are saying but I lost my guild and guild chat and game claims Im F2P when Im a sub. Sure I can play something so it's not literally unplayable but let's say I don't want to play with these limitations if that suits better.

This is what I am experiencing - It takes me an age to log into a character, sometimes it doesn't load up a planet but just kicks me back out to the character select screen - when it does manage to log in I can make a transition to another planet or the starship but that takes around 5 minutes a time to complete. Again, this also sometimes doesn't happen, and I get kicked back to the character selection screen again - so for this evening, I give up because I'm not getting any play time, just playing tag with the game server :(

Last night I tried to do some raids with my guild, we made the mistake of wiping once on Draxus, got us locked out of the game for 3 hours. Simply put, we'd try to play a character, got the loading screen with no loading bar, then the loading bar 5 minutes later, then kicked backed to character screen at the end of the loading bar.

After those 3 hours, things seemed to be working normally and I thought BW had fixed the bugs. We did a DP HM run and afterwards I went to bed after gambling a bit on Nar Shaddaa.

This morning, I thought I'd wake up and gamble for 30 mins or 1 hour before work as machines would be freer of people. Fat chance, login was screwed up in both the game and site. Luckily, I had to go to work anyway.

Came back, hoping that finally, now that BW has had over a day to work on it stuff would be at least workable. They did indeed fix the login issues and I managed to gamble a couple of hours on Nar Shaddaa. Then, I made the silly mistake of wanting to go to fleet.

Got frozen in my spaceship, booted to character screen, now I'm stuck not being able to log back in again, receiving the same loading screen with no loading bar, then loading bar, then kickback to character menu again.

In conclusion, I can't move between areas because I get kicked out of the game and not allowed to come back for a few hours. This means I can't raid, do fp or pvp, I can't even train my lower level toons because that involves a lot of traveling to and from quests. The only thing I CAN do, if it so happens I'm already there with my toon (which isn't true for me atm) is gamble on Nar Shaddaa. I've burned through 500 smuggler coins today and got 10 gold certificates only to show for it (Sad thing is other than the tommygun and blaster there's nothing I want to get from the rewards either...I mean really? another iteration of smuggler clothes, nondescript HK customization, Doc with a

I only logged in to comment on this, because I feel what you said is actually quite presumptuous and disrespectful to those of us who have found the game to be unplayable. Your personal experience is not representative of other people's experience. We already know that some people are in fact able to play the game with little/no problems, that's hardly news. But some of us have either not been able to log in at all since yesterday or get kicked out as soon as we log in. With all due respect, if I pay for a game and that game is unplayable on my end, then to me that's an unplayable game; I couldn't care less if it's playable for you or any other random person. Unless of course your idea of a playable game is having a slim chance of being able to remain logged in for 5 seconds.

So next time before you brand legitimate complaints as 'exaggeration' and go as far as to patronise people by claiming you "understand the motivation behind wanting to exaggerate", take a moment to consider that maybe you don't know all of the facts of the matter. If anything, playing down a serious problem is what 'doesn't help' the situation.

Edited by Meshky

mohawk? I'm afraid to even look at other customizations...no wait, I CAN'T, because I CAN'T GET MY OTHER TOONS THERE!).

But nah, not "unplayable" 100%, only about 95% so. Some sheeple think we ought to thank BW for the privilege of letting us pay to play the game. It makes me sad to read those posts.

On a more serious note, how can you not figure out what the problem is exactly in a few hours and repair it within a day? I mean I'm not a true programmer irl, I only work with easy-to-use programming languages such as C# or Java or Matlab to create financial software applications, but I just don't understand what kind of company tolerates this level of mediocrity that entails people not being able to figure out and repair their own mistakes in 24h even though they went through MONTHS of development and testing (including PTS). There is no excuse for this, the people behind this are just weak at their jobs.

Oh and btw, given all of this, the least you can do as a company is give us updates every 2 hours, I mean at least PRETEND you're trying your utmost to solve the problem. You have a twitter account + forums, posting on it every 2 hours is the least you can do.

Totally this:

On a more serious note, how can you not figure out what the problem is exactly in a few hours and repair it within a day? I mean I'm not a true programmer irl, I only work with easy-to-use programming languages such as C# or Java or Matlab to create financial software applications, but I just don't understand what kind of company tolerates this level of mediocrity that entails people not being able to figure out and repair their own mistakes in 24h even though they went through MONTHS of development and testing (including PTS). There is no excuse for this, the people behind this are just weak at their jobs.

Oh and btw, given all of this, the least you can do as a company is give us updates every 2 hours, I mean at least PRETEND you're trying your utmost to solve the problem. You have a twitter account + forums, posting on it every 2 hours is the least you can do.

/signed

MMOs are huge programs with millions and millions of lines of programming and a lot of things interact with each other. When a bug occurs, sometimes you can directly see the cause of the problem and start working on fixing it, but it's not always easy to see the cause, especially if the cause is a specific combination of factors. That is the first issue and a reason why big games like this usually still have some issues that are old but hard to pin down.

Secondly, even when you see the cause of the problem, the solution isn't always easy. One reason is because so many things are linked. So when you alter something in the coding of something it might have other undesired effects, so then you have to find ways to solve the issue without causing others. You can't always predict effects of changes because of the high complexity of such games.

The same happens with the system we use at my work. We have 2 major patches every year and each time they test it but when it goes live all kinds of new bugs happen that need fixing.

I am not saying BW are handling this perfectly and I did always wonder if they really got enough control over their version of the hero engine and also I am not sure if they have sufficient staffing to deal with issues like these, but there it is: I don't really know, but I do wonder about that at times.

This I do agree with. There are some updates here and there but it's sporadic and not very consistent. The patch was released over 24 hours ago and there really is no clear indication I've seen about where it's going and I would've expected that this thread would be stickied with regular updates as you propose. I imagine most people have given up on trying and are waiting for this to get resolved. My personal opinion is that if you can't give your customers what they want, at least give them clarity. At the moment I don't get what I want (I can't play the game) and I have no clarity on what's going on. I find that disappointing.

MMOs are huge programs with millions and millions of lines of programming and a lot of things interact with each other. When a bug occurs, sometimes you can directly see the cause of the problem and start working on fixing it, but it's not always easy to see the cause, especially if the cause is a specific combination of factors. That is the first issue and a reason why big games like this usually still have some issues that are old but hard to pin down.

Secondly, even when you see the cause of the problem, the solution isn't always easy. One reason is because so many things are linked. So when you alter something in the coding of something it might have other undesired effects, so then you have to find ways to solve the issue without causing others. You can't always predict effects of changes because of the high complexity of such games.

The same happens with the system we use at my work. We have 2 major patches every year and each time they test it but when it goes live all kinds of new bugs happen that need fixing.

I am not saying BW are handling this perfectly and I did always wonder if they really got enough control over their version of the hero engine and also I am not sure if they have sufficient staffing to deal with issues like these, but there it is: I don't really know, but I do wonder about that at times.

This is true. Even if they know exactly what is causing the error and exactly how to fix it, that fix itself could cause another dozen errors. To we users, the problems seem obvious. x isn't working, or I can't go to y. But the causes and solutions behind these problems are often much more complex than people seem to think.

You can't (normally) just go change one line of code and magically fix everything.

And for those wanting more updates, I suggest you look at the dev tracker which can be found here. There are posts on it every few hours, at least.

An update every two hours of "We're working on it" isn't constructive, and it takes time away from actually trying to solve the problem. A single acknowledgement of the problem(s) and an update when they actually make progress is all that is required.

Edited by twdarkeh

Bioware doesn't care about progression, so they aren't bothering with broken servers :rolleyes:

Well maybe they care about the income:) if I can’t play I wont sub. A good idea I think is to take the servers offline and fix the dam problems. You get more aggravated by trying to play with so many bugs.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Quick update: As it stands right now we have isolated what we believe is the root cause of the issue and are working on getting a fix in place. Our current target is to have a maintenance early Friday morning where we will deploy a patch which should address the issue. Just to reiterate, this is our target and it is not set in stone. We still need to get the fix in place and tested.

As I have updates I will pass them on, especially around timing. Once I know for sure whether or not it will be Friday I will pass that on!

-eric

Hey folks,

Quick update: As it stands right now we have isolated what we believe is the root cause of the issue and are working on getting a fix in place. Our current target is to have a maintenance early Friday morning where we will deploy a patch which should address the issue. Just to reiterate, this is our target and it is not set in stone. We still need to get the fix in place and tested.

As I have updates I will pass them on, especially around timing. Once I know for sure whether or not it will be Friday I will pass that on!

-eric

Thanks for the update.

I certainly won't be renewing my subscription with this incident. Not until they get a better handle on their game. Updates are supposed to make the game run smoother. Not the other way around.

Good luck finding an MMO that never experiences new bugs after an update. Failing that,

"Get used to dissapointment." -- The Dread Pirate Roberts, The Princess Bride

Hey folks,

-eric

Hmm so 2 more days of not being to play if all goes well I guess. I don't remember everything from before but it does seem this is the worst situation yet where a lot of people are effectively unable to play the game for a full 3 days...if indeed you get the fix on Friday.

I am not sure what to say about this. I am pretty sure you guys are working hard towards a fix so thanks for the hard work, but at the same time this is rather a set back on what I was hoping for. Not one of the game's finest moments I fear.