Area Transition Issues

EricMusco

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for me it would be better they take them down until they are fixed, that way they get more pressure to fix it.

Nonsense, software engineering and bug hunts do not work that way; I suspect you have done neither.

And besides, leaving the servers up gives the player base a chance to find even MORE bugs. :eek:

I still think a live copy of the server for PTS is the way to go.

I've worked with similar setups where live copy was used and it didn't work. It didn't work because the environment was never the same even though it started as a live copy testing. Quite simply it came down to this, you can start as copy exact, but as soon as the first promotion hits the PTS that needs to be tested, it no longer is copy exact. The risk of contaminating production servers is too great to copy exact to all servers for the sake of PTS testing. Net, net, as soon as the PTS gets the promotion it is a different environment all together.

No, the only really option is to actually to do live testing on the production servers during patch down time. That would require and increase in down time (from 4 hours to 8 hours etc.) and as you can see from the responses in these forums, players don't have the patience. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for BW.

I've worked with similar setups where live copy was used and it didn't work. It didn't work because the environment was never the same even though it started as a live copy testing. Quite simply it came down to this, you can start as copy exact, but as soon as the first promotion hits the PTS that needs to be tested, it no longer is copy exact. The risk of contaminating production servers is too great to copy exact to all servers for the sake of PTS testing. Net, net, as soon as the PTS gets the promotion it is a different environment all together.

No, the only really option is to actually to do live testing on the production servers during patch down time. That would require and increase in down time (from 4 hours to 8 hours etc.) and as you can see from the responses in these forums, players don't have the patience. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for BW.

My man's right. I'm a indie developer and as one even i can only imagine the insanity these guys got going on right now. As both a developer and as a player, this game is a real marvel. As been since I played the early betas.

Guys i have a big problem with my game. Tryed to loging in, and it said that my password or display name is incorrect. I changed nothing.... and everything worked just a few hours before.
Login server is down

i can't log in to my account here. I was trying to do that to check how many cartel coins i had, the game says NONE, but i know that is wrong. iirc it is abt 25 to 30k. There was heavy traffic earlier and i get on the web site too.

Latest Tweet from BW a few minutes ago.

"We are investigating an issue which is preventing players from logging into the game and website. Will update as we can!"

I'm glad to hear that. I was worried a bit that they were not talking about the login issue.

BioWare - "Lets introduce a new patch. Lets run it through PTS. Lets make sure we ignore all the bugs that people report. Lets make sure to leave all the bugs reported in the patch. Lets make sure to break the game. Lets bring the servers back online. Lets watch as our subscription numbers dwindle. Lets make sure the phone tech support agents are overwhelmed by callers (they don't work hard enough) and they don't speak English, so its best to give them some time to practice (oh wait, that doesn't work, oh well). Lets go to lunch and celebrate about our crappy job. Lets come back and touch ourselves in group cause we don't give a hoot about our players. Lets go and make a quick patch that solves literally nothing but allows people to log into our broken game. Lets make sure we do the same thing over again with 2.9!" :)

^qft!

+1

It's a huge game. And every patch on a software like this, with databases and caches and ressources and patch-servers and client software... on an international infrastructure... And the SOMETHING in the whole things gets choke-gripped by a force sensitive gremlin and they manage to FIX it this fast?

I consider that deeply impressive! (being player and software engineer as well.)

Thank you Mr Musco, but I think folks could use a bug list, so we know what has been reported and recognized and what may still need reporting.

If you already have a list, I digress.

Actually, page 2 of this thread shows a short list of the most obvious bugs.

Was playing fine for a while today after no access at all yesterday. Now transitional lag everywhere, being booted to login mid sentence of missions saying maintenance. Almost as bad as 1.4 which made the game unplayable for me and was told was everything from my HD to my graphics card and the drivers was the cause, yet when 1.5 hit i could play again.

Such a shame, bugs happen and I'm fine with that. The way you handle them and interact with the community other than a brief post saying not today or tomorrow maybe later though needs some serious improvement...

Welcome to programming, everyone, and quit your pointless whining. If you want to unsub, then just frickin' unsub. If you want to report problems, this isn't the place to do it, as they've clearly stated. Anything else you have to say here is most likely useless.

I like this description of programming myself.

As a programmer myself, I understand how these things can happen, and what they are probably going through to get the issue resolved. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and calm down. The game will be back, and better than ever, you just need a little patience.

I like this description of programming myself.

As a programmer myself, I understand how these things can happen, and what they are probably going through to get the issue resolved. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and calm down. The game will be back, and better than ever, you just need a little patience.

Exactly. Not being able to play for a day or two won't kill anyone.

Staying tuned... I didn't try to log in this morning, I assume it won't be possible till the quick fix patch is announced. Fingers crossed Bio hunts the gremlins successfully!!! It would be vey sad not to have the game for Friday & the weekend :)