Legacy storage

Icestar

Well since no one has seen it yet, I will give you that I can only express what I wish it was. As to the different types of binding...please do not try and insult me about how they function. I get it. You do not foresee it being as I desire...nor do you think it is logical based on language you have heard. I concur that using just "Legacy Storage" does not directly imply generic "account storage". Since it is not explicit either I can hope until I actually see what they give us.

I'll say it again: The key word is "Legacy". LEG-ACY.

it doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation.

Bound on Pickup = Stuff which gets immediately bound to your specific character; In some cases, depending on where you get it, you can actually trade it around with other people.

Bound on Equip = Self-Explanatory hopefully.

Bound to Legacy = Can walk around, back and forth, between characters in your legacy.

it's not rocket science. Pointing out that which is obvious can hardly be considered demeaning or insulting to you.

EDIT:

Just out of curiosity, would you like Implants, Earpieces, Weaponry and Armor shells to be swapped around like you are apparently suggesting? And if not, why?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I want is crafting materials storage. And maybe credits, but those are not that important.

What I would really love is an option to send all gathered stuff automatically into the bank, but that it probably not happening :(

A crafting mats storage that can hold a lot would be GREAT.

How is being able to COMPLETELY BYPASS the current binding restrictions NOT going to allow room for abuse? If that earpiece you won is BOP, is bound to that character, NOT bound to your legacy. If BW wanted that earpiece to be BOL, they would have made it BOL.

Well, considering that they actually are changing the way banks work with the implementation of legacybank it is fair to wonder how it will work. Will it be a bank that works the same like the mail does today? Or can the bank be more innovative and actually be useful as a "legacy bank". It is a valid question to ask what can be put in there and what can be retrieved from it, only because some things work this way now it does not mean they have to forever.

It may not be a credit sink that you like, but it IS a credit sink, AND an effective one. If BW were to allow players to bypass this credit sink, then they would have to create another credit sink to make up for the "loss" of this one. That new credit sink might not be as effective, or it might be something else that someone thinks is s stupid credit sink.

I think you were here at the start, at the launch. Unless you were or not makes no difference but with the implementation of having a cost connected to a extraction was very shaky to describe it mildly. It was bugged at first, then it had a insane cost, then about half cost and finally the cost we see today.

I do not think they have thought it all through regarding mod extracting costs, they simply left it there. I think they would actually sell more cartel packs or more armors and weapons if they skipped the mod extracting costs. There are no way to know that for sure until they have tried.

Seems like room for abuse to me, if they allow the legacy bank to bypass current binding restrictions.

You say it seems to be room for abuse if they allow it?

From what may I ask? Some higher instance then Bioware?

Bioware makes the rules, we follow them. No more simple rule then that :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

If Bioware wanted all items to be shared across characters in a legacy, they would have made all items bound to legacy already. No need to create an entire new bank system for it. There would be little point in allowing the transfer of bound-to-character items through legacy bank but not through mail either. Considering this, my bet is that legacy bank will be able to hold bound-to-legacy and unbound items (including binds-on-equip items which haven't been equipped yet), but not bound-to-character items.

Personally, I'm primarily hoping for two things:

1. That there's at least 240 slots worth of storage (because that's roughly how many different crafting materials there are)
  2. That materials can be pulled directly from legacy bank when crafting

Anything else is a bonus. If there's enough space left over after crafting materials, I'll certainly stuff all my unused legacy gear and currency items there as well.

If Bioware wanted all items to be shared across characters in a legacy, they would have made all items bound to legacy already. No need to create an entire new bank system for it. There would be little point in allowing the transfer of bound-to-character items through legacy bank but not through mail either. Considering this, my bet is that legacy bank will be able to hold bound-to-legacy and unbound items (including binds-on-equip items which haven't been equipped yet), but not bound-to-character items.

1. That there's at least 240 slots worth of storage (because that's roughly how many different crafting materials there are)

Anything else is a bonus. If there's enough space left over after crafting materials, I'll certainly stuff all my unused legacy gear and currency items there as well.

This man speaks wisdom. And not just because he has the right avatar. ;)

I was going to post the exact same thoughts. Basically, for me, if the SWTOR Legacy Storage system mirrors Shared Storage from LOTRO, I will be giddy. I don't give a womprat's posterior whether they let us use it as a means to circumvent the restrictions on character-bound items. If they do, they might as well save us all the trouble and just change all character-bound items to legacy-bound.

I would like to see the following.

Legacy Bank - A cargo system that allows other characters in your legacy access, and includes storage for both items and credits. 5 panes of storage, start with 1, unlock additional panes using coins or credits.

Anything above and beyond that would be great IMO, but I would like to see this standard as the minimum design gate.

Naturally. I am under no illusions about what it can be....and how in all probability I will not like it. But to me if I am unable to move around bound items then the feature is a waste {maybe a tiny QoL improvement}. An improvement that has taken so long to come about that if it is just some lame "central bank" then it will not do anything to help me.

You realize you're not actually asking for a legacy bank, right?

Here's what you're actually asking for: You want Bioware to change all BoP gear to BoL

At least be up front about your desires.

With Legacy storage I think there will be restrictions, I think there should be restrictions. Some of you might have unrealistic expectations and you are only setting yourself up to be very disappointed.

Agreed.

I can see it being for unbound or BoE and BoL... anything else pretty makes the binding system pointless. But, we'll see.

Naturally. I am under no illusions about what it can be....and how in all probability I will not like it. But to me if I am unable to move around bound items then the feature is a waste {maybe a tiny QoL improvement}. An improvement that has taken so long to come about that if it is just some lame "central bank" then it will not do anything to help me.

There will be improvements.

I have several peeps at lvl 55. Only one Treek well geared, with 180 stuff, even mainhand and augmented. Everything is obviously in a legacy bound set, which I move around when needed. But since I don't use her everyday, I often forget which character has that set on its Treek. So it's usually a HUGE pita cycling through my peeps searching for that set.

With the legacy storage, I will be able to simply leave that set after I use it there and whoever needs it, will have it available.

Or I win of those greed rolls on oriconian gear while raiding... would be good for a Kira, a Jaessa, a Vector ? Don't know, I move its mods (credit sink still there ofc ) to some legacy piece and the leave it on the legacy storage and then I see where is best used on.

Yes, the Xenotech weaponsmaster chest on my marauder will stay on my marauder. Still, a big improvement over what we have now.

Considering this, my bet is that legacy bank will be able to hold bound-to-legacy and unbound items (including binds-on-equip items which haven't been equipped yet), but not bound-to-character items.

Anything else is a bonus.

Generally agree, except 240 slots is far too few. I know at least one crafter who maintains at least 10 full stacks of each of his crafting mats at all time. Of course, he doesn't have every crafting material, only the ones he uses. But still, he would find 240 slots far too few.

And myself, I have over 300 pieces of Bound-to-Legacy gears for leveling (4 main stats, 1 set per main stat per 4-6 levels between 10 and 53, 7 pieces per set, plus some duplicates) that I would love to be able to store in a common vault -- and I want room for my modest stockpile of crafting mats as well.

I am OK with starting with one 80-slot Legacy vault tab in my Strongholds (shared across strongholds of course), and being able to buy additional tabs with CCs at, say, twice the price of the current account-wide non-Legacy vault tab unlock. YMMV

Perhaps a tradeable legacy vault tab unlock should be available as well, so that the unlock could be bought with credits on the GTN, but perhaps only as a super-rare drop in a Cartel pack to prevent it being a straight cash-to-credits mechanism. Again, YMMV

Edited by BuriDogshin

I would love to see the end of BOE or BOP in some situations. But that desire is based completely on greed and convenience in my respect, and that is not something I feel Bioware needs to cater to.

....though I would love it if they did. Like with planetary comms, Orange inheritance gear that allows the transfer of bound comms, etc. The impact to the game, IMO, has been negligible despite a strong front to the contrary. I think removing BOE and BOP in some situations would also not present a huge impact to the economy....and one way would be with legacy, either through conversion of bound items to legacy bound or a legacy bank that allows bound items in it.

That does not mean I demand this feature. I would be fine with the minimum standard I set forth.

There will be improvements.

I have several peeps at lvl 55. Only one Treek well geared, with 180 stuff, even mainhand and augmented. Everything is obviously in a legacy bound set, which I move around when needed. But since I don't use her everyday, I often forget which character has that set on its Treek. So it's usually a HUGE pita cycling through my peeps searching for that set.

With the legacy storage, I will be able to simply leave that set after I use it there and whoever needs it, will have it available.

Or I win of those greed rolls on oriconian gear while raiding... would be good for a Kira, a Jaessa, a Vector ? Don't know, I move its mods (credit sink still there ofc ) to some legacy piece and the leave it on the legacy storage and then I see where is best used on.

Yes, the Xenotech weaponsmaster chest on my marauder will stay on my marauder. Still, a big improvement over what we have now.

agreed with that.

and one of the things it will, to me at least make easier is gifts. I've been trying to consolidate them, but due to crewskills that produce them and general scattered playstyle - I still don't have them all in one spot. I do already have all the companions unlocked, but being an altoholic and a story junkie, I like to replay companion stories (sometimes from different angle) as well as class ones. AND it improves crew skills on siad characters, so...

just being able to consolidate crafting mats and gifts and possibly cartel market items (another thing that I have scattered across multiple characters) - would be a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned. of course, the storage may end up being too small to do everything I'd like to (if it were up to me, it would be at least 4 times the size of the regular fully unlocked cargo hold - preferably bigger). but hey - you gotta start somewhere.

P.S. cost of removing mods is not that bad. it only becomes expensive at end game level gear. as it should be IMO. at earlier levels, its nominal. even completely f2p new player can afford under 100 credits per mod, considering amounts you get for quest rewards.

I believe legacy storage will be similar to guild banks and use the same rules as the mailbox. The only changes will be that the storage will allow for bind to legacy items, and not require players to mail items to themselves to share between characters.

I also believe any initial storage will be pretty small, with progressively more costly unlocks to expand, though doubtful the maximum expansion size will be larger than the existing storage systems.

Anyone expecting more than that, especially at launch of the feature, will probably be disappointed.

A shared credit bank that automatically combines all credits across all characters and uses them for purchases? Probably not, though maybe like guild banks there might be a shared balance which can be used for repairs along with deposits and withdrawals.

A way to store and move bound items and bypass current binding restrictions? Probably not, though bind to legacy items will almost certainly be allowed.

A way to automate materials gathering and usage so mats are automatically deposited and automatically used when crafting? Probably not, though the ability to have crafting 'check bags, check cargo, check legacy' might be included.

Edited by DawnAskham

I believe legacy storage will be similar to guild banks and use the same rules as the mailbox. The only changes will be that the storage will allow for bind to legacy items, and not require players to mail items to themselves to share between characters..

I do not hope they end up like guildbanks unless they undergo a few big changes.

I also believe any initial storage will be pretty small, with progressively more costly unlocks to expand, though doubtful the maximum expansion size will be larger than the existing storage systems. .

I am sure they will find several ways to sell us cargo space for real life cash on the CC market. Unlock this for more space, unlock this for even more space, unlock this for one box of storage space etc....., IF they do that I want to make sure what I am buying. A extended mailbox is not what i had in mind, there has to be something special to get my euros.

Anyone expecting more than that, especially at launch of the feature, will probably be disappointed. .

Lets give them a chance will you, they have screwed up lots of times ranging from promises about CE vendor to dualspecc to even launch this June. Well we are sill here for now, and we expect content delivered.

A shared credit bank that automatically combines all credits across all characters and uses them for purchases? Probably not, though maybe like guild banks there might be a shared balance which can be used for repairs along with deposits and withdrawals.

A way to store and move bound items and bypass current binding restrictions? Probably not, though bind to legacy items will almost certainly be allowed.

A way to automate materials gathering and usage so mats are automatically deposited and automatically used when crafting? Probably not, though the ability to have crafting 'check bags, check cargo, check legacy' might be included.

However that will work time will tell, but I really hope they have a real good system for it.

A legacy bank for me is something that can be used and benefit the entire legacy, I have 22 active characters that log in atleast once every 48 hour to do something with. To me a well planned legacy bank can do miracles in saving time moving things here and there not to mention the TONS of creds I spend moving mods, armorings and enhancment and finally crystals, barrels and hilts around.

Bioware please make this right, you have the potential to do something innovative dont take the shortcut

Edited by Icestar

Lets give them a chance will you, they have screwed up lots of times ranging from promises about CE vendor to dualspecc to even launch this June. Well we are sill here for now, and we expect content delivered.

Well, to be honest, the delay only happened because they decided to roll into it all that other stuff beyond simple housing (like Guild Ships, Planet Conquests, etc) that was originally planned (it probably was planned, but for later patches)

A legacy bank for me is something that can be used and benefit the entire legacy, I have 22 active characters that log in atleast once every 48 hour to do something with. To me a well planned legacy bank can do miracles in saving time moving things here and there not to mention the TONS of creds I spend moving mods, armorings and enhancment and finally crystals, barrels and hilts around.

Bioware please make this right, you have the potential to do something innovative dont take the shortcut

I'm hoping that legacy storage will adhere to the current bound to character restrictions. I hope it will function in the same that guild banks function, with the added ability to deposit bound to legacy items.

Credit sinks are a necessary part of the game. The GTN is not a truly effective credit sink as it prinarily moves credits from one player to another. Even the commission the GTN charges is ineffective as a credit sink.

If you have a source for your comment that the way banks function is being completely changed, please provide it. I may have missed it, but I do not recall anything from BW stating that banks are undergoing any changes.

I have given alot of thought to legacy storage. Both the pros and cons and what I believe should be done.

First, all BoP gear (other than implants, ears and relics, maybe, and I'll explain later) Should be able to be put in the bank to be transferred between characters. As of right now we can legacy across every piece of cosmetic gear + offhands, the only limitation is that legacy gear only has specific looks. I see no reason why we shouldn't make BoP cosmetic gear legacy transferable.

The deal with implants, ears and relics is that we currently have no way of legacy-ing them across. I mean I would really like to be able to legacy across everything, but knowing Bioware they are going to want to place some sort of limitation on us and this is the place that it would make the most sense to me to place that limitation.

I would also like to see armor tokens (minus implants ears and relics if this limitation is in place) also be able to be transferred across. The only real thing that having these not transferable does is make it so we have to spend extra credits if we want to move the mods to an alt.

As far as mats and credits go: I think credits should be legacy wide as well as mats(and maybe even comms? I think this may be wishful thinking though.) I think mats should work kind of like credits do in that they transfer directly into your legacy vault and can be accessed from anywhere if you decide to sell them on the GTN.

I also want to see a change to the Birthright/Inheritance/Exalted armor sets. I want them to remove the credit cost and make them cost the tokens instead, turn them all into non class bound, and adaptable. This would be really cool IMO, id like to put the Jug ones on my Guardian and Guardian ones on my Jug.

I have spent quite alot of time thinking about this and I'd like some feedback, what do you all think?

Edited by theSCARAYone

I have given alot of thought to legacy storage. Both the pros and cons and what I believe should be done.

First, all BoP gear (other than implants, ears and relics, maybe, and I'll explain later) Should be able to be put in the bank to be transferred between characters. As of right now we can legacy across every piece of cosmetic gear + offhands, the only limitation is that legacy gear only has specific looks. I see no reason why we shouldn't make BoP cosmetic gear legacy transferable.

The deal with implants, ears and relics is that we currently have no way of legacy-ing them across. I mean I would really like to be able to legacy across everything, but knowing Bioware they are going to want to place some sort of limitation on us and this is the place that it would make the most sense to me to place that limitation.

If an item is BOP, it is BOP for a reason. If the devs had wanted them to be bound to legacy, they would make them bound to legacy and bind to character. Part of the reason for having things like earpieces, relics, etc. bind to character is so that a player cannot simple use character A to gear up character B completely. The player MUST use character to run at least some of the content. There remains the credit cost to transfer any bound to character mods.

I would also like to see armor tokens (minus implants ears and relics if this limitation is in place) also be able to be transferred across. The only real thing that having these not transferable does is make it so we have to spend extra credits if we want to move the mods to an alt.

That is the point. If you want to save the credit cost of sending any bound to character mods to alts using legacy gear, then simply earn the desired mods with that alt. Credit sinks are in the game for a reason.

As far as mats and credits go: I think credits should be legacy wide as well as mats(and maybe even comms? I think this may be wishful thinking though.) I think mats should work kind of like credits do in that they transfer directly into your legacy vault and can be accessed from anywhere if you decide to sell them on the GTN.

I also want to see a change to the Birthright/Inheritance/Exalted armor sets. I want them to remove the credit cost and make them cost the tokens instead, turn them all into non class bound, and adaptable. This would be really cool IMO, id like to put the Jug ones on my Guardian and Guardian ones on my Jug.

I have spent quite alot of time thinking about this and I'd like some feedback, what do you all think?

I can see being able to craft directly from the legacy bank, but if you want to put some of your mats on the GTN, or trade with another player, then you should have to pull the amount that you plan to sell/trade from your legacy bank.

I think you're being disingenuous with your request.

What you really want is for all BoP gear in the game to be converted to BoL gear.

If you really think this is a change that should be made, present an argument for it.

If you have a source for your comment that the way banks function is being completely changed, please provide it. I may have missed it, but I do not recall anything from BW stating that banks are undergoing any changes.

It is right there on the information page, a new type of storage that will affect how I use my banks in the future.

They say it can be shared with the legacy, lets hope they are true to their word.

Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!

Edited by Icestar

It is right there on the information page, a new type of storage that will affect how I use my banks in the future.

They say it can be shared with the legacy, lets hope they are true to their word.

Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!

As people pointed out repeatedly, "LEGACY" - "LEG-ACY" - is the key word.

"Bound on Pickup" is not Legacy related, is character specific.

Bioware never implied that which you seem to have erroneously understood.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

As people pointed out repeatedly, "LEGACY" - "LEG-ACY" - is the key word.

"Bound on Pickup" is not Legacy related, is character specific.

Bioware never implied that which you seem to have erroneously understood.

This.

It will be a separate bank shared within your Legacy where you can likely only put BOE, BOL, Crafting Mats and stuff like that. BOP is Character specific bound.