Legacy storage

Icestar

The upcomming legacy storage can work in many other ways, this is a discussion not a suggestion. The suggestionforums filled with variants like these.

1. It can simply let you put tradeskillsmaterials in there and let other characters pick them up. Sure this is something we have suggested from the start but it is a boring feature since we are so used to sending materials to our other characterss that it will not make a big difference in the end.

2. Real legacy storage on the other hand will be insteresting, if we can hopefully store items that are nodrop for some other character within the legacy to pick them up it it will be amazing. I never understood the need to have items bound and not shareable by the same player on the same account with different characters. Some perhaps like that the player has to do things all over again but history proves that some leave games for repetative content.

3 The downside of legacy space is that all players will now need on everything (FP and OPS) since they can simply put the item in the storage and let the correct alt pick it up. Sure, there has been very expensive ways to transfer mods but that system has never felt right at all. I hope Bioware keep this in mind when they expand the legacy storage.

Last but not least I am all for a legacy storage aslong it is done right and not half way by some reason.

What do you guys think?, Feedback from the players that are actually paying for this game is valuable :tran_wink:

Oh, on a final note: Do not force us to spend CC on legacy bank. Some of us has been here since pre-launce and would very much appreciate if you let us have the option we all have needed a long time for free.

Edited by Icestar

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I want to see is the ability to store credits in this thing. Having to swap characters cause you see something on the GTN and you are just shy of buying tends to get annoying pretty fast.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if there is a CC unlock option, along with insane amount of credits, or legacy level requirements involved.

Edited by Hoshkar

I honestly, can't see legacy bank being usable to store BoP items. too much room for abuse (plus, most moddable pieces you can transfer to alts already, after a fashion. in form of an extra credit sink :D ). I can possibly see it storing BoL gear.

I wouldn't underestimate the improvement being able to store all your mats in one place could be. especially if it will be possible to craft from legacy bank, but even if it isn't. ability to consolidate all your crafting mats is invaluable IMO, becasue one of my least favorite things is hoping my multitude of characters, trying to remember who had what. the question is - what will be the mechanics of actualy putting stuff there. can it only be access from the stronghold, or will we be able to add a terminal to our ship, for example?

I can also see ability to store credits being subscription only perk. why? becasue mailing credits is subscription only. I don't see bioware giving people an option to circumvent it, but I also don't see them making legacy bank in general subscription only.

I hope whatever tabs we might need to buy are unlockable with either credits or cartel coins - to give people options. the way legacy perks are currently unlockable.

but I'd rather not get into more specific speculation, because well... if it does something I want - awesome , but if it doesn't... I'd rather not be disappointed.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Despite claims that I white knight everything BioWare does, this is the only feature of housing that I find appealing in the slightest. I have, for example, won Greed rolls on items that nobody in the party needed that wind up being bound to me that I can't use. If I could put these in Legacy storage for an alt, that would be great, thanks. It's not going to change my roll style in the least since I only roll Need for things I need on the Character I'm on. Some will, I'm sure, but really, some do anyway, so I don't think it's going to matter much.

I honestly, can't see legacy bank being usable to store BoP items. too much room for abuse (plus, most moddable pieces you can transfer to alts already, after a fashion. in form of an extra credit sink :D ). I can possibly see it storing BoL gear.

Hold on here for a moment, you say that a legacy storage will give room for abuse (same player that pays the bills)? I would like you do explain that, how can transfering a item from another character within the same legacy be abusive? Think of it in ways of handing down your used jacket to your sister. The only reason items acre binds on pickup from the start is that other players can´t claim that they are theirs, legacy changes all that from the start. I hardly see any abuse regarding using items that a character within the legacy has left in the apartment for anyone within the family to pick up.

You mention that mods already can be shared across the characters by ripping out mods for a HUGE cost like 14K for each part, maing it effectivly making it cost hundreds of thousands of credits ONLY to change armor, it is a very stupid creditsink if you ask me. Let the players spend money on other things then double pay with both ingame cash and real cash if they want to change armor. The mod ripping is NOT a good creditsink, there are many other ways to handle that or atleast do it free for subscribers. From a Biowares view that likes to make money, removing the creditsink of changing armor would probably increase player buying the new stuff. I can take myself as example, I have no intention of spending millions of creds only to change into the new outfits but would gladly do so if it did not cost so much ingame. All in all I think it is a stupid creditsink that needs to go.

I wouldn't underestimate the improvement being able to store all your mats in one place could be. especially if it will be possible to craft from legacy bank, but even if it isn't. ability to consolidate all your crafting mats is invaluable IMO, becasue one of my least favorite things is hoping my multitude of characters, trying to remember who had what. the question is - what will be the mechanics of actualy putting stuff there. can it only be access from the stronghold, or will we be able to add a terminal to our ship, for example?

If they do this right it will work like any other crafting, if your bank got the materials you can craft. If the legacy bank has the materials you can craft. It will be a failed system if every player has to go "home" to get materials and craft, it that happens I am sure we will see alot of negative threads here on the forum. I have no need for a system where I have to go "home" and craft while combating in the field.

I can also see ability to store credits being subscription only perk. why? becasue mailing credits is subscription only. I don't see bioware giving people an option to circumvent it, but I also don't see them making legacy bank in general subscription only.

Making one account out of all character creds account could work but it will also create some uproar from the few RP community but besides that I do not see any problems with it. It has to be announced several times so we dont get any "Hey where is my creds?" threads since they already spent it all on one character

but I'd rather not get into more specific speculation, because well... if it does something I want - awesome , but if it doesn't... I'd rather not be disappointed .

I am sure they know what they are doing, I am simply pointing out some issues that might occur when they use legacy bank. My interest is purely that they do it right and it does not end up like another in the long line of dissapointment "time to move on" kind of thing like the collector edition vendor was for example.

Edited by Icestar

All I want is crafting materials storage. And maybe credits, but those are not that important.

What I would really love is an option to send all gathered stuff automatically into the bank, but that it probably not happening :(

All I want is crafting materials storage. And maybe credits, but those are not that important.

What I would really love is an option to send all gathered stuff automatically into the bank, but that it probably not happening :(

Their words : Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!

To me that means what it says, legacy stronghold storage. A place you can put items that your entire legacy can enjoy. This is the purpose of this thread to find out what they actually mean, and to tell Bioware that we have expectations aswell on this game. If they listen on player feedback that is, they claim they do but in reality I am not so sure.

Edited by Icestar

Hold on here for a moment, you say that a legacy storage will give room for abuse (same player that pays the bills)? I would like you do explain that, how can transfering a item from another character within the same legacy be abusive? Think of it in ways of handing down your used jacket to your sister. The only reason items acre binds on pickup from the start is that other players can´t claim that they are theirs, legacy changes all that from the start. I hardly see any abuse regarding using items that a character within the legacy has left in the apartment for anyone within the family to pick up.

You mention that mods already can be shared across the characters by ripping out mods for a HUGE cost like 14K for each part, maing it effectivly making it cost hundreds of thousands of credits ONLY to change armor, it is a very stupid creditsink if you ask me. Let the players spend money on other things then double pay with both ingame cash and real cash if they want to change armor. The mod ripping is NOT a good creditsink, there are many other ways to handle that or atleast do it free for subscribers. From a Biowares view that likes to make money, removing the creditsink of changing armor would probably increase player buying the new stuff. I can take myself as example, I have no intention of spending millions of creds only to change into the new outfits but would gladly do so if it did not cost so much ingame. All in all I think it is a stupid creditsink that needs to go.

If they do this right it will work like any other crafting, if your bank got the materials you can craft. If the legacy bank has the materials you can craft. It will be a failed system if every player has to go "home" to get materials and craft, it that happens I am sure we will see alot of negative threads here on the forum. I have no need for a system where I have to go "home" and craft while combating in the field.

Making one account out of all character creds account could work but it will also create some uproar from the few RP community but besides that I do not see any problems with it. It has to be announced several times so we dont get any "Hey where is my creds?" threads since they already spent it all on one character

I am sure they know what they are doing, I am simply pointing out some issues that might occur when they use legacy bank. My interest is purely that they do it right and it does not end up like a dissapointment "time to move on" kind of thing like the collector edition vendor was.

1. on abuse.

right now in order to transfer mods - you have to pay a cost to pull them out, cost to mail them and cost to pull them out again. you also cannot transfer rarities like relics, implants and earpieces. (rarities, becasue those are the most difficult drops to get) that creates not only an additional credit sinc, but better chance of people actualy upgrading their gear for the character that they actualy did content on. and even with current system - we still have ninja looters.

ability to just grab something and removing any and all associated cost with transferring it to an alt, not to mention ability to transfer items that can already be difficult to get? is the abuse I'm speaking off. making legacy storage accept BoP items changes the equation of how we roll. it changes the balance and I'm not sure that's for the better. small addition and the ripples from it are .. not so small. (and sure they can change the rolls to need only being possible if something is directly wearable by the character that's rolling - no idea how much coding that would take and how nuanced would it need to be...)

moreover - I disagree with you. this credit sink from moving mods around IMO should stay. you see - there need to be expenses that remove credits from the game. why? becasue questing, dailies killing mobs, nearly everything - generates them. out of thin air. without credit sinks, we have inflation that spirals out of control. is that the best credit think? I don't know. but I personally think that its a smart one, contrary to your views. becasue it works as both credit sink and precaution against people rolling need willy nilly.

2. we don't know how its going to work. that's the gist of it. it may work like current regular bank for crafting. it may not. even just storing mats in it is improvement. small one, granted, but.. gotta start somewhere. would I rather it was more convenient? yes. well I hope for anything until we know actual information on how it will work? no. I find speculating and baselessly raising my own expectations to be counter productive.

3. sharing credits IMO would need to be something you directly opt into. like... you have to physically go and deposit your credits into legacy bank before they become accessible. ideally, you will be able to select how to pay for something, similarly to guild repair funds. a small check mark. I wouldn't like it personally, if they just consolidated credits without asking, or giving us options, like Arenanet did with GW2. and you pointed out exactly why that would be a bad idea. however. we don't even know if credits will be sharable at all. they might not be, because it will again change the current balance too much, by effectively negating credit transfer restrictions f2p and preferred accounts have. its possible.. that bioware may want to negate those restrictions. I don't know. anything is possible.

1. on abuse.

right now in order to transfer mods - you have to pay a cost to pull them out, cost to mail them and cost to pull them out again. you also cannot transfer rarities like relics, implants and earpieces. (rarities, becasue those are the most difficult drops to get) that creates not only an additional credit sinc, but better chance of people actualy upgrading their gear for the character that they actualy did content on. and even with current system - we still have ninja looters.

Yes, but the main reason we do have ninjalooters the way it is working today is because Bioware did not follow up on the DEV post they had regarding restricting loot to those that can acutally use it. My guess is that this is two different implementation plans working against eachother. They tried to atleast two drastic price cuts on item pulling, anyone remember a purple crystal costing 100K+ to exctract? Now it is down to a reasonable amount but it is not the way I would like to see monesyinks in a game where we pay real cash to obtain items we then have to use ingame cash to use.

ability to just grab something and removing any and all associated cost with transferring it to an alt, not to mention ability to transfer items that can already be difficult to get? is the abuse I'm speaking off. making legacy storage accept BoP items changes the equation of how we roll. it changes the balance and I'm not sure that's for the better. small addition and the ripples from it are .. not so small. (and sure they can change the rolls to need only being possible if something is directly wearable by the character that's rolling - no idea how much coding that would take and how nuanced would it need to be...)

How is that different from the Dessler Explorer that is a pain to get (I have two of them so I know), it is bound to legacy and free to send to any alt regardless of levelrange.

I find this a very nice gesture to the RP community aswell, imagine the events they can have for example "father kills big beast, family is happy, fater gives big trophy mask to daughter" etc etc. Where you see obsticles I see oppourtunity. There are no items in this game that are so valuable that it HAS to be bound to a certain charater. I have seen this in other games like Anarchy Online but it rarely workded since players come and go, special items that are very hard to come by dissapear.

moreover - I disagree with you. this credit sink from moving mods around IMO should stay. you see - there need to be expenses that remove credits from the game. why? becasue questing, dailies killing mobs, nearly everything - generates them. out of thin air. without credit sinks, we have inflation that spirals out of control. is that the best credit think? I don't know. but I personally think that its a smart one, contrary to your views. becasue it works as both credit sink and precaution against people rolling need willy nilly.

I know how creditsinks works and the need for them but I still not agree that it should be that expensive to change armor, it alienates the new players that wants to try something new and those with milions hardly bother if they are down a few hundred thousands. They already have a nice creditsink in the game, it is called "buying items from the GTN". I would say that it is a very good creditsink we have in the game with the commissions.

Creditsinks are needed I agree, but in this case it actually excludes players from trying out new armors and weapons and a correct legacy storage could help those players out. This has however been debated many many times so we leave that topic to that thread

2. we don't know how its going to work. that's the gist of it. it may work like current regular bank for crafting. it may not. even just storing mats in it is improvement. small one, granted, but.. gotta start somewhere. would I rather it was more convenient? yes. well I hope for anything until we know actual information on how it will work? no. I find speculating and baselessly raising my own expectations to be counter productive.

True, we do not know how it works. But in my mind Bioware still wants feedback and this thread is about feedback regarding the legacy storage. They can take the easy way out and only make it for mats, it is nothing new and hardly something exciting OR they could make some innovate system to handle items across the legacy. The choice is theirs

3. sharing credits IMO would need to be something you directly opt into. like... you have to physically go and deposit your credits into legacy bank before they become accessible.

Yep, some kind of legacy bank where you put in a few millions for a rainy day that can be accessible if needed

I vote for that

Edited by Icestar

If we cannot move around BoP items via the legacy storage then, to me, it will be 100% pointless.

Last I checked, BoP is character-specific NOT legacy specific, which is why we use Legacy armor shells to transfer mods around.

The only difference I foresee is for people to put these shells in the Legacy cargo holds, instead of sending them by mail back and forth.

If we cannot move around BoP items via the legacy storage then, to me, it will be 100% pointless.

Yes, exactly my point with this thread.

Good valuable player feedback right there for Bioware to read

Yes, exactly my point with this thread.

Good valuable player feedback right there for Bioware to read

Then Legacy storage is not what you want for sure. As mentioned already, "Bound on Pickup" doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation.

Last I checked, BoP is character-specific NOT legacy specific, which is why we use Legacy armor shells to transfer mods around.

The only difference I foresee is for people to put these shells in the Legacy cargo holds, instead of sending them by mail back and forth.

With legacy storage we can put items there and other characters can retrieve them. No more stupid mod pulling only to put it into a specific armor that CAN be mailed to the next character that has to pull it out again to place it into the armor/weapon he/she needs it to be.

Creditsinks are usually only good when they player feels it is worth it, not when they have to and see it as a stupid unessesary cost.

Bioware can do this right, I really hope they do

Then Legacy storage is not what you want for sure. As mentioned already, "Bound on Pickup" doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation.

Only because something is working the way it does now it does not mean it can be changed into something better in the future. Items aquired with a character on the account should have the possibility to hand it down to any other legacy char that needs it better. This is a excellent view how legacy actually works, in several real life familys I might add.

Quest items and items bound to character story will ofcourse be bound but seriously, why should old Berthas old shoe stay bound forever?

Edited by Icestar

Small correction...I meant any bound item. I realized after I said "BoP" that it was too specific, but did not bother expecting most would get what I meant. So to reiterate, if I cannot move around bound items in general, then it will be 100% useless to me.

With legacy storage we can put items there and other characters can retrieve them. No more stupid mod pulling only to put it into a specific armor that CAN be mailed to the next character that has to pull it out again to place it into the armor/weapon he/she needs it to be.

Creditsinks are usually only good when they player feels it is worth it, not when they have to and see it as a stupid unessesary cost.

Bioware can do this right, I really hope they do

As I've said already, what you're looking for certainly isn't a Legacy storage, with "Legacy" being the key word.

There's a reason why we have "Bound to Legacy" and "Bound on Pickup".

With the kind of stuff you're suggesting, we might as well have every implant, earpiece, armor piece, weapon, etc etc, "Bound to Legacy" instead.

Small correction...I meant any bound item. I realized after I said "BoP" that it was too specific, but did not bother expecting most would get what I meant. So to reiterate, if I cannot move around bound items in general, then it will be 100% useless to me.

No offense but it's not the system's fault you can't comprehend how the system is designed to work.

Again, "Bound" to one specific character is one thing; "Bound to Legacy" is quite another.

It's Legacy storage, not storage to dump whatever you want that is tied or bound already(!!!) to a specific character.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

No offense but it's not the system's fault you can't comprehend how the system is designed to work.

Again, "Bound" to one specific character is one thing; "Bound to Legacy" is quite another.

It's Legacy storage, not storage to dump whatever you want that is tied or bound already(!!!) to a specific character.

You are the one that is confused. I was perfectly clear in my desires for Legacy storage. There is no confusion on my part about how I desire it to work. .

You are the one that is confused. I was perfectly clear in my desires for Legacy storage. There is no confusion on my part about how I desire it to work. .

On the contrary, seeing that I understand how a Legacy storage is supposed to work - in theory - and have pointed it out already.

You on the other hand do not, seeing that what you want is NOT a Legacy storage, but something which you can dump stuff onto that is tied or bound to a specific character.

Again, there's a logical reason why stuff is differentiated, concerning the whole "Bound on Pickup", "Bound on Equip" and "Bound to Legacy".

You choosing not to comprehend it is another matter altogether.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

How is being able to COMPLETELY BYPASS the current binding restrictions NOT going to allow room for abuse? If that earpiece you won is BOP, is bound to that character, NOT bound to your legacy. If BW wanted that earpiece to be BOL, they would have made it BOL.

It may not be a credit sink that you like, but it IS a credit sink, AND an effective one. If BW were to allow players to bypass this credit sink, then they would have to create another credit sink to make up for the "loss" of this one. That new credit sink might not be as effective, or it might be something else that someone thinks is s stupid credit sink.

No matter what they use as a credit sink, there will be people claiming that it is a "STUPID" credit sink. Those claims usually stem from the fact that people want to be able to do something without paying the cost to do so. All one has to do is to look at your second paragraph to see that. You don't want to have to pay the cost to send mods back and forth, so you apparently either want the credit sink (cost) removed or a way to COMPLETELY BYPASS that credit sink, so you don't have to pay the cost.

Seems like room for abuse to me, if they allow the legacy bank to bypass current binding restrictions.

With Legacy storage I think there will be restrictions, I think there should be restrictions. Some of you might have unrealistic expectations and you are only setting yourself up to be very disappointed.

Naturally. I am under no illusions about what it can be....and how in all probability I will not like it. But to me if I am unable to move around bound items then the feature is a waste {maybe a tiny QoL improvement}. An improvement that has taken so long to come about that if it is just some lame "central bank" then it will not do anything to help me.

On the contrary, seeing that I understand how a Legacy storage is supposed to work - in theory - and have pointed it out already.

You on the other hand do not, seeing that what you want is NOT a Legacy storage, but something which you can dump stuff onto that is tied or bound to a specific character.

Again, there's a logical reason why stuff is differentiated, concerning the whole "Bound on Pickup", "Bound on Equip" and "Bound to Legacy".

You choosing not to comprehend it is another matter altogether.

Well since no one has seen it yet, I will give you that I can only express what I wish it was. As to the different types of binding...please do not try and insult me about how they function. I get it. You do not foresee it being as I desire...nor do you think it is logical based on language you have heard. I concur that using just "Legacy Storage" does not directly imply generic "account storage". Since it is not explicit either I can hope until I actually see what they give us.