Legacy storage

Icestar

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping that legacy storage will adhere to the current bound to character restrictions. I hope it will function in the same that guild banks function, with the added ability to deposit bound to legacy items.

Credit sinks are a necessary part of the game. The GTN is not a truly effective credit sink as it prinarily moves credits from one player to another. Even the commission the GTN charges is ineffective as a credit sink.

If you have a source for your comment that the way banks function is being completely changed, please provide it. I may have missed it, but I do not recall anything from BW stating that banks are undergoing any changes.

the whole housing system is one HUGE credit sink. if they expect it to be worth anything they will have to make it do something worth while. if the only use is to transfer mats between alts, no one other than a few rp'ers will spend the millions of credits to purchase one. if they need to add credit sinks they could always add repairs to pvp. that should help.

I think you're being disingenuous with your request.

What you really want is for all BoP gear in the game to be converted to BoL gear.

If you really think this is a change that should be made, present an argument for it.

I did present an argument for it. All BoP on cosmetic gear does is keep us from being able to have the look we want when transferring gear between characters. There is no reason for this limitation and is just frustrating overall.

That is the point. If you want to save the credit cost of sending any bound to character mods to alts using legacy gear, then simply earn the desired mods with that alt. Credit sinks are in the game for a reason.

There are a million and a half credit sinks in this game, and this one is unnecessary. If everything else I mentioned was implemented, then the devs would just make it so we would have to remove mods twice and double the cost. Thats 60k+ for 180 or better gear and is a massive sink... I feel this is unecessary.

I did present an argument for it. All BoP on cosmetic gear does is keep us from being able to have the look we want when transferring gear between characters. There is no reason for this limitation and is just frustrating overall.

It does something else, too.

What about the non-cosmetic gear? Relics, earpieces, implants don't affect your toon's look at all. The fact they are BoP gives players a reason to run ops for their alts, for crafters to risk REing these rare pieces of gear, and for some others to spend time playing the game to make credits to BUY those items on the GTN.

Edited by Khevar

I feel that this is a excellent opportunity to expand the legacy level system that has been collecting dust forever.

Make the legacy bank accept different types of gear compared to the legacy level you got. If you have a low level then only legacy items/materials will be accepted, and if you got a high or max rating then you are free to put in whatever you want (even a Rancor if you can fit thatone in)

I mean it takes time and effort to reach legacy level 50, Imagine what level my account should have with 21 completed storylines and 19 level 55:s. Probably several hundred legacy levels :tran_wink:

I think it is a fair deal to connect the legacy bank to the legacy level, if you got a high level feel free to put in whatever you like.

That is actually a awesome suggestion, I really hope they read this

Edited by Icestar

It does something else, too.

What about the non-cosmetic gear? Relics, earpieces, implants don't affect your toon's look at all. The fact they are BoP gives players a reason to run ops for their alts, for crafters to risk REing these rare pieces of gear, and for some others to spend time playing the game to make credits to BUY those items on the GTN.

Maybe you missed that part of my post, I addressed this issue.

The deal with implants, ears and relics is that we currently have no way of legacy-ing them across. I mean I would really like to be able to legacy across everything, but knowing Bioware they are going to want to place some sort of limitation on us and this is the place that it would make the most sense to me to place that limitation.

I think with implementing this feature, they have an excellent opportunity to redesign the binding system. I would love to put BOP gear in there, instead of using the (imo) horrid looking legacy gear.

Better IMO would be a series of CM dye packs that convert BoE/Bound gear to Legacy gear. BW could charge a fortune for them, and do the same staged roll-out of colors they do for regular dye packs to drive churn.

In that way, BW makes money from every vanity-driven conversion to Bind-to-Legacy. Since it only affects cosmetics (and cannot be used on earpieces, implants, relics, mainhands, or offhands, which have no dye slots) it doesn't "break" the game, because it is effectively the same (but more expensive) as what you can do with the Legacy gears now.

Such dyes could also or instead be available as Rep rewards and/or via token drops from FPs/Ops. I think some people that would grind even Kuat for days on end to get, say, a black/black dye pack that also converts the shell to BoL. :)

The deal with implants, ears and relics is that we currently have no way of legacy-ing them across. I mean I would really like to be able to legacy across everything, but knowing Bioware they are going to want to place some sort of limitation on us and this is the place that it would make the most sense to me to place that limitation.

I would also like to see armor tokens (minus implants ears and relics if this limitation is in place) also be able to be transferred across. The only real thing that having these not transferable does is make it so we have to spend extra credits if we want to move the mods to an alt.

Perhaps you could explain how the devs could "limit" placing bound to character items to exclude things like earpieces, relics, etc. while still allowing SOME bound to character items to be placed in legacy storage.

The easiest way to limit earpieces, relics, etc. from being placed in legacy storage is NOT to allow ANY bound to character items to be placed directly in legacy storage. This would, of course, mean that you would not be able to circumvent the credit cost to transfer mods from one piece of gear to another piece of gear. As has been said before, this is a highly effective credit sink, even if you do not like it.

There are a million and a half credit sinks in this game, and this one is unnecessary. If everything else I mentioned was implemented, then the devs would just make it so we would have to remove mods twice and double the cost. Thats 60k+ for 180 or better gear and is a massive sink... I feel this is unecessary.

The cost to transfer mods is a pittance compared to what it was at launch. There are plenty of ways to earn the credits to pay the transfer costs. If you are too averse to the effort required to do so, then that is your choice. I would not expect the devs to cater to that aversion to effort, though.

I feel that this is a excellent opportunity to expand the legacy level system that has been collecting dust forever.

Make the legacy bank accept different types of gear compared to the legacy level you got. If you have a low level then only legacy items/materials will be accepted, and if you got a high or max rating then you are free to put in whatever you want (even a Rancor if you can fit thatone in)

I mean it takes time and effort to reach legacy level 50, Imagine what level my account should have with 21 completed storylines and 19 level 55:s. Probably several hundred legacy levels :tran_wink:

I think it is a fair deal to connect the legacy bank to the legacy level, if you got a high level feel free to put in whatever you like.

That is actually a awesome suggestion, I really hope they read this

Expanding the legacy system should NOT, IMO, include making every piece of gear that is currently bound to character or BOP into a bound to legacy piece. That is EXACTLY what you are asking the devs to do. You simply try to disguise that fact in the hopes that you can pull the wool over people's eyes.

The current binding restrictions exist for a reason. BOP items remaining BOP and BOUND TO CHARACTER and unable to be placed into legacy storage in an attempt to BYPASS those binding restrictions, provide incentive to run content with the alts that you wish to have that gear.

If you want that BIS earpiece for your smuggler, you will have to run that content on your smuggler, not your highly geared assassin and then sneak it to your smuggler on the sly using the legacy bank to bypass the BOP restriction.

Better IMO would be a series of CM dye packs that convert BoE/Bound gear to Legacy gear. BW could charge a fortune for them, and do the same staged roll-out of colors they do for regular dye packs to drive churn.

In that way, BW makes money from every vanity-driven conversion to Bind-to-Legacy. Since it only affects cosmetics (and cannot be used on earpieces, implants, relics, mainhands, or offhands, which have no dye slots) it doesn't "break" the game, because it is effectively the same (but more expensive) as what you can do with the Legacy gears now.

Such dyes could also or instead be available as Rep rewards and/or via token drops from FPs/Ops. I think some people that would grind even Kuat for days on end to get, say, a black/black dye pack that also converts the shell to BoL. :)

Do you really expect BW to make a black/black dye available via rep when that would DIRECTLY cut into the CM market for black/black dye, let alone a black/black dye that is infinitely BETTER than the CM version?

Perhaps you could explain how the devs could "limit" placing bound to character items to exclude things like earpieces, relics, etc. while still allowing SOME bound to character items to be placed in legacy storage.

The easiest way to limit earpieces, relics, etc. from being placed in legacy storage is NOT to allow ANY bound to character items to be placed directly in legacy storage. This would, of course, mean that you would not be able to circumvent the credit cost to transfer mods from one piece of gear to another piece of gear. As has been said before, this is a highly effective credit sink, even if you do not like it.

Come on man don't give them a pass to be lazy. All they have to do is block certain item codes, I have a basic knowledge of coding and this really shouldn't be too difficult.

Come on man don't give them a pass to be lazy. All they have to do is block certain item codes, I have a basic knowledge of coding and this really shouldn't be too difficult.

So, they should give you a pass to be lazy and then cater to that laziness? They should eliminate, or allow you to COMPLETELY BYPASS, a highly effective credit sink so that you don't have to do what is necessary to earn the credits to pay to transfer mods?

You have a basic knowledge of coding and you think it wouldn't be too difficult? Let me know when you develop and market your MMO. I might give it a try.

Edited by Ratajack

So, they should give you a pass to be lazy and then cater to that laziness? They should eliminate, or allow you to COMPLETELY BYPASS, a highly effective credit sink so that you don't to do what is necessary to earn the credits to pay to transfer mods?

You have a basic knowledge of coding and you think it wouldn't be too difficult? Let me know when you develop and market your MMO. I might give it a try.

I wasn't talking about the credit sink... lol look at which post a quoted.

I think with implementing this feature, they have an excellent opportunity to redesign the binding system. I would love to put BOP gear in there, instead of using the (imo) horrid looking legacy gear.

Imagine, you could actually inherit Major Ricks old armor that served him well during the battle of Coruscant and carry on his legacy.

I see endless of possibilities here for the roleplaying community and for the rest of us that appreciate such a feature.

So, they should give you a pass to be lazy and then cater to that laziness? They should eliminate, or allow you to COMPLETELY BYPASS, a highly effective credit sink so that you don't have to do what is necessary to earn the credits to pay to transfer mods?

I wasn't talking about the credit sink... lol look at which post a quoted.

I did look at what post you quoted, but I did NOT miss the fact that allowing ANY bound to character items to be placed into legacy storage allows players to COMPLETELY BYPASS the credit sink that is the cost of transferring mods.

I also did NOT miss that fact that you really have no answer as to how they could restrict certain bound to character items from being placed into legacy storage while disallowing other bound to character items. Your only answer was to say that you don't think it should be too difficult since you have a basic knowledge of coding.

If you really had even a basic knowledge of coding, then you would know that often a simple change often affects major things.

Imagine, you could actually inherit Major Ricks old armor that served him well during the battle of Coruscant and carry on his legacy.

I see endless of possibilities here for the roleplaying community and for the rest of us that appreciate such a feature.

Don't you really mean:

"Imagine if the devs allowed us to bypass the credit sink for transferring mods. Imagine if the devs allowed us to faceroll that OP on our highly geared characters and then send the BOP items to our alts on the sly by using the legacy bank to BYPASS the binding restrictions."

I did look at what post you quoted, but I did NOT miss the fact that allowing ANY bound to character items to be placed into legacy storage allows players to COMPLETELY BYPASS the credit sink that is the cost of transferring mods.

I also did NOT miss that fact that you really have no answer as to how they could restrict certain bound to character items from being placed into legacy storage while disallowing other bound to character items. Your only answer was to say that you don't think it should be too difficult since you have a basic knowledge of coding.

If you really had even a basic knowledge of coding, then you would know that often a simple change often affects major things.

he told you exactly how it could be done. you just didnt want to hear it.

Don't you really mean:

"Imagine if the devs allowed us to bypass the credit sink for transferring mods. Imagine if the devs allowed us to faceroll that OP on our highly geared characters and then send the BOP items to our alts on the sly by using the legacy bank to BYPASS the binding restrictions."

imagine if I could transfer that old columni shell that looked really cool to a different character. Because there is currently no where in the game you can get it.

he told you exactly how it could be done. you just didnt want to hear it.

Really?

Do you think it is really possible to code some items to be able to BYPASS the binding restrictions by being placed in the legacy bank while preventing others? Do you think it is worth the cost in development dollars to do so, if it is even possible?

If the devs do decide to cater to some players' to avoid a highly effective credit sink or circumvent the current binding restrictions, how long do you think it would be before the forums were full of cries of "we can transfer SOME bound to character items via legacy storage, why can't we transfer ALL bound to character items that way"?

Really?

Do you think it is really possible to code some items to be able to BYPASS the binding restrictions by being placed in the legacy bank while preventing others? Do you think it is worth the cost in development dollars to do so, if it is even possible?

If the devs do decide to cater to some players' to avoid a highly effective credit sink or circumvent the current binding restrictions, how long do you think it would be before the forums were full of cries of "we can transfer SOME bound to character items via legacy storage, why can't we transfer ALL bound to character items that way"?

Exactly, to them it would have to be all or nothing. No some this and none that.