Why is Bioware so silent about strongholds

sepulhead

Another delay?

Strongholds being underwhelming?

Bioware firing most of pr team?

Why is it that players freak out so quickly when a game developer doesn't say anything on a specific topic for a little while?

Must be the smartphone generation that can't breathe without the latest news.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And quite often the details that were released a year early are wrong when the product is released. Cataclysm is a good example of that, with major features dropped just before release and they got roflstomped by the player base for it.

It's a Catch-22 that EA/BW avoids by only releasing info when it's all but final.

Path of the Titans wasn't it? I remember looking forward to it and it was just chopped away never to be seen again.

I'd rather Bioware release the info when they feel it is ready to be released. That being said some teases couldn't hurt either.

All the real reasons have already been stated:

There is no new information to release. When they have solid information to release, we will know about it. Most likely many features are being tweaked. If they say something now that proves to be slightly off base, the rabid community members who can't work within reason will jump on it and tell their parents they did get a pony.

And quite often the details that were released a year early are wrong when the product is released. Cataclysm is a good example of that, with major features dropped just before release and they got roflstomped by the player base for it.

It's a Catch-22 that EA/BW avoids by only releasing info when it's all but final.

As I've observed to usually be the case with WoW-expats, you're making stuff up. Path of the Titans was the only "major feature" dropped, it wasn't "just before release", and its removal played almost no role in the criticism Cataclysm received.

It doesn't matter if features and design changes from previews. Previews are meant to get you excited, to get you interested. You stress that everything is subject to change and if something does you let the community know. I agree with TUXs that there isn't much excitement around here...since the months I've been playing this community seems to have a certain lethargy I'm not used to.

As I've observed to usually be the case with WoW-expats, you're making stuff up. Path of the Titans was the only "major feature" dropped, it wasn't "just before release", and its removal played almost no role in the criticism Cataclysm received.

It doesn't matter if features and design changes from previews. Previews are meant to get you excited, to get you interested. You stress that everything is subject to change and if something does you let the community know. I agree with TUXs that there isn't much excitement around here...since the months I've been playing this community seems to have a certain lethargy I'm not used to.

This is hilarious. One provides you a PERFECT example of why companies have stopped being so vocal about features and you downplay it and ignore it so it doesn't fit the argument.

I am a WoW expat and a bunch of features were cut from multiple expansions. I remember pages and pages of angry WoW posts about flying BG mounts, dumbing down features, etc, that were cut.

No, calling something a "preview" does NOTHING to satisfy the unreasonable meatheads that populate gaming forums.

I don't blame them one bit. When we have SOLID information, at least it will be just that...solid and expected to be in game.

Edited by Arkerus

This is hilarious. One provides you a PERFECT example of why companies have stopped being so vocal about features and you downplay it and ignore it so it doesn't fit the argument.

I am a WoW expat and a bunch of features were cut from multiple expansions. I remember pages and pages of angry WoW posts about flying BG mounts, dumbing down features, etc, that were cut.

No, calling something a "preview" does NOTHING to satisfy the unreasonable meatheads that populate gaming forums.

I don't blame them one bit. When we have SOLID information, at least it will be just that...solid and expected to be in game.

As a WoW expat... I agree with Arkerus here. :)

Forum: We want a preview

gets a preview...

Forum: We want MORE

gets a bit more...

Forum: WE WANT MORE..NOW!!!

takes awhile but gets MORE...

Forum: THATS NOT ENOUGH AND TOOK TO LONG!!! DON'T GIVE US THAT FEATURE ITS HORRIBLE... MORE INFO

gets everything...

Forum: GAH THIS SUX!!!!111 THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU PROMISED AT ALL AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER GIVE HOW LONG IT TOOK...YOU GUYS CAN'T MAKE A GAME IF YOU WERE PAID, YOU HATE YOUR COMMUNITY WE TOLDYOU NOT TO PUT THAT IN...YOU NEVER LISTEN!! WORST GAME EVER!

gets a preview...

gets a bit more...

Forum: THATS NOT ENOUGH AND TOOK TO LONG!!! DON'T GIVE US THAT FEATURE ITS HORRIBLE... MORE INFO

gets everything...

Forum: GAH THIS SUX!!!!111 THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU PROMISED AT ALL AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER GIVE HOW LONG IT TOOK...YOU GUYS CAN'T MAKE A GAME IF YOU WERE PAID, YOU HATE YOUR COMMUNITY WE TOLDYOU NOT TO PUT THAT IN...YOU NEVER LISTEN!! WORST GAME EVER!

Remember when people demanded for months to get a Road Map?

We get one and people immediately lose their heads about how it doesn't address the stuff they wanted to see in it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I, for one, am glad that they're waiting until stuff is solid before releasing info.

gets a preview...

gets a bit more...

gets everything...

LOL...a perfect channeling of the dark side of the player base. :p

Remember when people demanded for months to get a Road Map?

We get one and people immediately lose their heads about how it doesn't address the stuff they wanted to see in it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I, for one, am glad that they're waiting until stuff is solid before releasing info.

I couldn't have planned the roadmap fallout better myself.

I remember in that exact thread one of the folks who wanted a roadmap actually said, and I am paraphrasing: "We would have been better off without a roadmap because now we don't have any details behind these things IN the map"

gets a preview...

gets a bit more...

gets everything...

Forum: GAH THIS SUX!!!!111 THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU PROMISED AT ALL AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER GIVE HOW LONG IT TOOK...YOU GUYS CAN'T MAKE A GAME IF YOU WERE PAID, YOU HATE YOUR COMMUNITY WE TOLD YOU NOT TO PUT THAT IN...YOU NEVER LISTEN!! WORST GAME EVER!

This post. I want to marry it. That being said...

It couldn't hurt to drop a few breadcrumbs along the way but as your post accurately demonstrates, the behaviours of certain individuals will grab hold and demand more.

This is hilarious. One provides you a PERFECT example of why companies have stopped being so vocal about features and you downplay it and ignore it so it doesn't fit the argument

I don't know what you're talking about. I addressed it directly. It's even a part of my argument. You probably don't know what my argument is because you were too busy thinking of how you could downplay and ignore me.

But I'll just state it again here: it doesn't matter if a minority of fans have poor reading comprehension and/or unrealistic expectations. The value gained by exciting the rest of your fan base makes up for it. Companies haven't stopped being vocal about development, and certainly Blizzard hasn't.

I am a WoW ex-pat and a bunch of features were cut from multiple expansions. I remember pages and pages of angry WoW posts about flying BG mounts, dumbing down features, etc, that were cut.

Are you trying to correct me or something? The guy was only talking about Cataclysm and misrepresented it entirely. And for the record, as WoW-expats also tend to have poor memory: it wasn't flying BG mounts, it was flying vehicles in Wintergrasp. And the complaints weren't about the previews being wrong, it was about flying vehicles in WG being on the box and cries of "false advertisement".

I don't care about satisfying those people.

Edited by Senrie

I don't know what you're talking about. I addressed it directly. It's even a part of my argument. You probably don't know what my argument is because you were too busy thinking of how you could downplay and ignore me.

But I'll just state it again here: it doesn't matter if a minority of fans have poor reading comprehension and/or unrealistic expectations. The value gained by exciting the rest of your fan base makes up for it. Companies haven't stopped being vocal about development, and certainly Blizzard hasn't.

Are you trying to correct me or something? The guy was only talking about Cataclysm and misrepresented it entirely. And for the record, as WoW-expats also tend to have poor memory: it wasn't flying BG mounts, it was flying vehicles in Wintergrasp. And the complaints weren't about the previews being wrong, it was about flying vehicles in WG being on the box and cries of "false advertisement".

I don't care about satisfying those people.

Keep pushing the goal line back. One day, you'll get there.

Developers (post leaving the company) have posted in numerous forums (reddit usually) how dangerous releasing information to the public is. It get chewed up immediately and expectations are set. That is why they don't do it as much anymore. Gaming is HUGE now. A few thousand players is no longer the population. Even in a "small" game like SWTOR, releasing too many previews has a disastrous effect on the media space. Players will chew it up, say you promised me a "PONY 9000" and write angry reviews when they only get a a "PONY 5000".

And the fun part about all this is that I am right. You won't get information until Bioware is good and ready. Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay. Beverages will be served from 8am to midnight. Deal with it.

Edited by Arkerus

Keep pushing the goal line back. One day, you'll get there.

Developers (post leaving the company) have posted in numerous forums (reddit usually) how dangerous releasing information to the public is. It get chewed up immediately and expectations are set. That is why they don't do it as much anymore. Gaming is HUGE now. A few thousand players is no longer the population. Even in a "small" game like SWTOR, releasing too many previews has a disastrous effect on the media space. Players will chew it up, say you promised me a "PONY 9000" and write angry reviews when they only get a a "PONY 5000".

And the fun part about all this is that I am right. You won't get information until Bioware is good and ready. Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay. Beverages will be served from 8am to midnight. Deal with it.

great...now they're serving drinks. no mention of what those beverages are...how much they'll cost...and pick a bad time!!! THIS SUX!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! One of any number of meaningless things happened or didn't happen and now we're facing doom! DOOM, I TELL YOU!

Uh... yeah... sorry. I have a condition called "bitter sarcasm" that gets the better of me sometimes. Best to ignore me and go watch the video Bioware released to give us some preview of Strongholds.

Yet they still do it, because it's important to do. And the information influx of WoW, who has more of those people than anybody, is several orders of magnitude greater than TOR.

And that stuff about goal lines and gloating about how right you are and something about drinks: You're pretty ridiculous, you know that? You've been on these forums too long I suspect, have too much venom and combativeness in you.

I'm going to go back to being bored waiting for Strongholds and traditional robes, assuming nothing continues to be said.

Edited by Senrie

The other fun part of this equation is that none of us are beholden to Bioware. They provide entertainment, and one that's been lacking for months now. Players quitting doesn't effect my bottom line at all - in fact, I probably get a crap ton more done around the house than I would if they were releasing new content regularly. But not everyone is as patient as I am...and during this lull in content, players are off playing other games and forgetting about this one.

But please, continue to chastise the customer for asking for more information...

I know why they dont say much, i just dont agree with that choice. If you decide not to say anything because you're affraid of negative comments, then going by that you might also say that's why the updates are so light. They are afraid to make more content because they might get negative comments.

In the army we had a saying. The ones that work alot, make many mistakes, the one that work a little make few mistakes. The ones that doesn't make mistakes gets promoted.

Ofc it's not so, but it still holds a bit of truth. No matter what they do someone will make some negative comments. However if you give a bit of info on upcomming content and what the future holds, then some of thoose negative comments could be used as construcktive feedback. If you just stay silent and release when it's ready then it's alot harder to change even minor things.

The other fun part of this equation is that none of us are beholden to Bioware. They provide entertainment, and one that's been lacking for months now. Players quitting doesn't effect my bottom line at all - in fact, I probably get a crap ton more done around the house than I would if they were releasing new content regularly. But not everyone is as patient as I am...and during this lull in content, players are off playing other games and forgetting about this one.

But please, continue to chastise the customer for asking for more information...

TUX, as much as I respect your thoughts and opinions, I will probably continue to criticize those who are unreasonable.

Bioware has already said more information is coming. They already said it will not be like other "housing" options we have seen before. They have already talked about some of the features they know will exist. You can view all the past posts on this. There are facts out there we can read.

The original question was: Why is Bioware so silent about strongholds. (And then posted some borderline ridiculous conjecture on it...)

We answered it numerous times. They don't have any more info today. They will post it when they have it.

Edited by Arkerus

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! One of any number of meaningless things happened or didn't happen and now we're facing doom! DOOM, I TELL YOU!

Uh... yeah... sorry. I have a condition called "bitter sarcasm" that gets the better of me sometimes. Best to ignore me and go watch the video Bioware released to give us some preview of Strongholds.

Lol. I do too. But I don't care.

Yet they still do it, because it's important to do. And the information influx of WoW, who has more of those people than anybody, is several orders of magnitude greater than TOR.

And that stuff about goal lines and gloating about how right you are and something about drinks: You're pretty ridiculous, you know that? You've been on these forums too long I suspect, have too much venom and combativeness in you.

I'm going to go back to being bored waiting for Strongholds and traditional robes, assuming nothing continues to be said.

And as I've stated several times in the past, this is the issue that plagues the game IMHO.

WoW has an expansion priced, dated and named for this year's Fall. Period.

Tor has... Errrr... Hmmmm... Yeahhhhhhh, I have no idea what it has but no problem, I'm fairly sure someone, sometime in this thread will kindly point out that - let me check again - "information will be coming soon".

TUX, as much as I respect your thoughts and opinions, I will probably continue to criticize those who are unreasonable.

Bioware has already said more information is coming. They already said it will not be like other "housing" options we have seen before. They have already talked about some of the features they know will exist. You can view all the past posts on this. There are facts out there we can read.

The original question was: Why is Bioware so silent about strongholds. (And then posted some borderline ridiculous conjecture on it...)

We answered it numerous times. They don't have any more info today. They will post it when they have it.

That's fair. I'm just trying to point out that the people asking for more details are simply fans and active customers of the game...which is a diminishing group of people. We're in the midst's of a content and communication drought...frustration and a desire for more isn't uncommon or unexpected.