Why is Bioware so silent about strongholds

sepulhead

It would be nice if they said more but I guess it doesn't matter to me at the moment because I'll be playing regardless until August when my subscription expires. I'll wait and see whats coming and check for cheap sub cards.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if they said more but I guess it doesn't matter to me at the moment because I'll be playing regardless until August when my subscription expires. I'll wait and see whats coming and check for cheap sub cards.

I imagine come august time we will have known more (or will know more) about Strongholds and the next big thing as it is the end of summer time.

TUX, as much as I respect your thoughts and opinions, I will probably continue to criticize those who are unreasonable.

I understand what you're saying, but I like to look at it from another side of the coin:

If people are demanding more information, it means that people still like the game. If people are demanding more content, it means they still want to play the game. Etc.

It may very well be unreasonable. But at the very least, it indicates an active fanbase. It's much preferable to an alternative of nobody asking for any information, features or content added to the game because they don't care about it.

I understand what you're saying, but I like to look at it from another side of the coin:

If people are demanding more information, it means that people still like the game. If people are demanding more content, it means they still want to play the game. Etc.

It may very well be unreasonable. But at the very least, it indicates an active fanbase. It's much preferable to an alternative of nobody asking for any information, features or content added to the game because they don't care about it.

that would be like saying black holes are just wanting more light because they enjoy it.

Some (not ALL) of those asking (demanding?) new content and information are nothing more than locusts (gamer version of gluttony). Chew up every piece of content and information as fast as possible then demand more. When they don't get it on their time line they flame about not being listened to, game is dying, and nothing but a failure.

that would be like saying black holes are just wanting more light because they enjoy it.

Some (not ALL) of those asking (demanding?) new content and information are nothing more than locusts (gamer version of gluttony). Chew up every piece of content and information as fast as possible then demand more. When they don't get it on their time line they flame about not being listened to, game is dying, and nothing but a failure.

Sure, I can't argue with that.

I still think it's better to see "gimmeh moar info" threads, than no threads at all. It isn't necessary to criticize someone who wants to know more about a game they're playing. Even if it's a completely unreasonable request. My kids want to know what they're getting for Xmas, and they're going to try and find out no matter what I do. I like to look at it as enthusiasm, smile and say, "not telling"

/shrug

Edited by Khevar

No offense but that's just a pitiful excuse and nothing more; Not everyone around these parts is willing to be subservient towards the way Bioware runs stuff.

Another delay?

Strongholds being underwhelming?

Bioware firing most of pr team?

Because that's how they've always operated. They aren't excited, their players aren't excited, nobody gets excited. They've operated like this since the game was being developed.

#1 - They have 2.8 coming up soon so they probably have a lot on their plate right now. Throwing more teasers out to impatient A.D.D. people about a free expansion feature that isn't even hitting early access for 11 more weeks probably isn't high up on their priority list. It's a free expansion so there is no sales component here. If it was a paid expansion then it would probably be a different story as they'd be trying to encourage pre-orders. Plus, like this person below said, they aren't going to release a lot of specific details until they've finalized things....otherwise if they changed anything before launch there would be a nerd revolt and the forums would be flooded with tears about the changes and how things were removed from a beta-build.

Players take every bit of info as 'set in stone' and freak out when things change while in development.

So they've learned to be conservative with releasing info.

Exactly. No software developer in their right mind gives any more details ahead of time than they absolutely need to do. BW is no different than anyone else in this regard.

No offense but that's just a pitiful excuse and nothing more; Not everyone around these parts is willing to be subservient towards the way Bioware runs stuff.

They will release as much information as they feel is necessary and on the time line they feel is correct. Nothing I or anyone else say will change that.

I suppose we could yell and scream on here until someone pops in and says "we hear you, but we have no new information". Which is about as effective as throwing water on an oil fire. You can say well thats better than nothing, at which point someone will invariably disagree and ask a question now that someone has posted, and then complain when there are no follow up posts.

go look at the posts where people have popped in and either answered questions or given feedback. Beyond the "thanks for the info" there is a significant portion of "well what about X and Y or Z" and then complaining when they don't get an answer.

Give a person an inch they want a mile, give them a foot but too slow and they bash you for it. Give them too much to early and it changes get bashed for it.

#1 - They have 2.8 coming up soon so they probably have a lot on their plate right now. Throwing more teasers out to impatient A.D.D. people about a free expansion feature that isn't even hitting early access for 11 more weeks probably isn't high up on their priority list. It's a free expansion so there is no sales component here. If it was a paid expansion then it would probably be a different story as they'd be trying to encourage pre-orders. Plus, like this person below said, they aren't going to release a lot of specific details until they've finalized things....otherwise if they changed anything before launch there would be a nerd revolt and the forums would be flooded with tears about the changes and how things were removed from a beta-build.

Ah! So you contend that because it's FREE, there's no need to advertise or promote it within their own community? Interesting philosophy you have there...

Calling people asking for info "ADD people", is offensive and wrong, they're simply customers looking for information. This game has been stagnating for months now, don't blame the customer for not being blind to it.

And your last point has been proven wrong time and time again with this game. Whatever community you came from may have been very harsh when delays and difficulties prevented something, but this community has been rock solid behind the Devs when there has been a delay or change made.

I have never once put someone down for being reasonable. In fact, I think the only reason this spun the way it did was because of the premise the OP started with.

If someone simply posts "Can we get more information about strongholds, I am excited to learn more", I wouldn't even notice it. I might even post "I hope we get more data soon".

I have posted numerous times, in numerous threads, regarding things I am personally excited about.

Edited by Arkerus

They will release as much information as they feel is necessary and on the time line they feel is correct. Nothing I or anyone else say will change that.

I suppose we could yell and scream on here until someone pops in and says "we hear you, but we have no new information". Which is about as effective as throwing water on an oil fire. You can say well thats better than nothing, at which point someone will invariably disagree and ask a question now that someone has posted, and then complain when there are no follow up posts.

go look at the posts where people have popped in and either answered questions or given feedback. Beyond the "thanks for the info" there is a significant portion of "well what about X and Y or Z" and then complaining when they don't get an answer.

Give a person an inch they want a mile, give them a foot but too slow and they bash you for it. Give them too much to early and it changes get bashed for it.

You said plenty without actually addressing what I said earlier. Bravo.

You said plenty without actually addressing what I said earlier. Bravo.

what part should I address the "subservient to BW" or the "pitiful excuse"? Neither are really a valid discussion nor make any sort of point beyond invoking an emotional response.

What I said was to the point that They can give out plenty of information, it will not please everyone, people will invariable demand more once given something, and even what they do give information, some people will not always like it. I am not seeing where those are wrong statements?

I have never once put someone down for being reasonable.

Totally understood.

I myself aren't bothered by the unreasonable requests. As mentioned, I'd rather see people demanding for information they won't get, than not asking for anything because they don't care.

Totally understood.

I myself aren't bothered by the unreasonable requests. As mentioned, I'd rather see people demanding for information they won't get, than not asking for anything because they don't care.

To me, its like picketing outside a company. do it once and if it works they keep doing it for every little thing. If it doesn't work they start picketing that company doesn't listen and is some corrupt corporation.

There are some people who will go to any lengths to find out information on the new starwars..even to the point that they could be handed the script, then complain about ruining the movie when finally released.

what part should I address the "subservient to BW" or the "pitiful excuse"? Neither are really a valid discussion nor make any sort of point beyond invoking an emotional response.

This on the other hand...

Has been proven to be accurate and / or factual no doubt, not intended to silence or demean those who choose NOT to be subservient I guess.

What I said was to the point that They can give out plenty of information, it will not please everyone, people will invariable demand more once given something, and even what they do give information, some people will not always like it. I am not seeing where those are wrong statements?

I've already stated what's wrong with your statement. Also, it's FAIRLY OBVIOUS from the beginning you can't please everyone but yet again, what you said above is rather pitiful to say the least.

As I've mentioned several times in the past, 2.9 is already around the corner and no details have surfaced concerning 3.0... And we kinda knew about Makeb almost a full year(!!!) before release.

WoW on the other hand has an expansion already named, dated and priced... Bioware can't even get a single one of those right it would seem.

I still think it's better to see "gimmeh moar info" threads, than no threads at all.

Like all thread topics... there is a productive way and an inflammatory way to go about asking for info though. Too many thread are more about the whine/complain fest then actually getting info. And even threads that start out with a productive request.... sometimes get torpedoed by people who are perpetually negative about the game (yet continue to pay for access).

Plenty of threads ARE productive in the forum and they are easy to spot. All they have to do is follow the same protocols and behavior that one would do if face to face. The internet however, seems to empower a lot of behaviors that would get someone tossed out of the room in real life.

In the case of this thread...let's look at the original post:

Another delay?

Strongholds being underwhelming?

Bioware firing most of pr team?

NOT a productive way to launch a discussion IMO.

The difference in the forum these days -----> veteran forum members are for the most part tired of the nonsense, and will call a forum member on it..... yet are also very willing to participate in constructive discussion topics when they arise. The days of playing at railroading Bioware with subjective and personal judgments and expecting a free pile-on of support are pretty well over in the forums because they get a broad pushback...sometimes even from harsh critics.

Edited by Andryah

Like all thread topics... there is a productive way and an inflammatory way to go about asking for info though. Too many thread are more about the whine/complain fest then actually getting info. And even threads that start out with a productive request.... it quickly gets torpedoed by people who are perpetually negative about the game (yet continue to pay for access).

Plenty of threads ARE productive in the forum and they are easy to spot. All they have to do if follow the same protocols and behavior that one would do if face to face. The internet however, seems to empower a lot of behaviors that would get someone tossed out of the room in real life.

In the case of this thread...let's look at the original post:

NOT a productive way to launch a discussion IMO.

The difference in the forum these days -----> veteran forum members are for the most part tired of the nonsense, and will call a forum member on it..... yet are also very willing to participate in constructive discussion topics when they arise.

QFT

between the necros rehashing the same arguments since launch (dual spec, AC respec, legacy _____, P2W, game is dead, BW sux, bad engine, pack = gambling) or freshies dropping in and thinking its either new/novel or complaining that it hasn't been implemented/fixed yet. It would be nice to actually hear some fresh requests now and then to actually have some nice discussions now and then. This one is fairly civil for the most part. Other thread of the day getting a bit more hostile since some of the old doom and gloom peeps are around, but for the most part thats been washed over.

Players take every bit of info as 'set in stone' and freak out when things change while in development.

So they've learned to be conservative with releasing info.

well that's just bioware's fault! people tried to tell them about bugs and how to better the game during beta but did they change or fix anything?? nope it was set in stone. sooooo we know that if we see something we don't like and tell them about it it wont change a thing.

me i think its because they are afraid those of us waiting on it to come out will be disappointed by what they tell us and unsub and quit before it even comes out.

well that's just bioware's fault! people tried to tell them about bugs and how to better the game during beta but did they change or fix anything?? nope it was set in stone. sooooo we know that if we see something we don't like and tell them about it it wont change a thing.

me i think its because they are afraid those of us waiting on it to come out will be disappointed by what they tell us and unsub and quit before it even comes out.

See thats the problem...playing monday morning quarterback/armchair developer.

People seem to think they ALWAYS know more than the person actually doing the work. You don't think they already knew about the bugs? You think they just choose to not fix them because they felt like "spitting in your face"? You say "make it better" well lets just wave this magic dev wand and poof instant feature or no more bug.

By the time its in beta it basically IS set in stone for the most part, at least for major features. Things can be tweaked but not without cost. But not a lot of people understand that when something actually enters beta, they are more hoping NOT to find something. If they do, it goes into a long list of things that need to get fixed on top of the new development already being done while main part is in beta.

The cynic in me agrees completely with this. However...I also know that GSF blew me away from what I expected...hell, the end of 2013 was amazing as far as I'm concerned...so I'm torn on this.

The cynic in me agrees completely with this. However...I also know that GSF blew me away from what I expected...hell, the end of 2013 was amazing as far as I'm concerned...so I'm torn on this.

2013 was a solid year truth be told.

2014 on the other hand, started with the whole GSF overstretching itself for a three(!!!) months or so and now we're going to get the same treatment with Strongholds.

YAYYYYYYYYY...!!! :rolleyes:

To me, its like picketing outside a company. do it once and if it works they keep doing it for every little thing. If it doesn't work they start picketing that company doesn't listen and is some corrupt corporation.

Not a terribly apt comparison. Picketing is an attempt to hurt a company by stopping people from working there and/or using it's services.

I prefer comparing this thread to kids demanding to know what they're getting for Xmas.

Edited by Khevar

2013 was a solid year truth be told.

2014 on the other hand, started with the whole GSF overstretching itself for a three(!!!) months or so and now we're going to get the same treatment with Strongholds.

YAYYYYYYYYY...!!! :rolleyes:

I know...that 3+ month stretch for GSF was far too long...knowing we have to do it all again with GSH sucks...especially since if we're not in our new house for 3+ months straight, we'll be doing exactly what we're doing now still.

Not a terribly apt comparison. Picketing is an attempt to hurt a company by stopping people from working there and/or using it's services.

I prefer comparing this thread to kids demanding to know what they're getting for Xmas.

I don't remember ever paying a sub to my parents. Probably not the most apt comparison either, though not as bad as the one before. :p

I prefer comparing it to kids demanding to know what they're getting for Xmas.

yeah that works too. Well at least those that are "entitled" enough to demand, and expect, a pony. Those that are grateful for getting anything and don't turn around and "

" probably go about their day and when we get info we are happy, otherwise we'll log in tonight, play a bit and enjoy the game.