Frequently Asked PvP Questions

EricMusco

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, other MMOs already exist that can do all of the things being discussed in this thread and more are coming. So, telling people who play this game for pvp and pvp alone that it could potentially be in the game "at some point" will not keep them from leaving. Especially considering it takes six months to a year or more for content you're actually talking about to be released.

That's like staying on the Titanic because you really liked the tapestries and carpeting and wanted to give it a chance to right itself just in case.

Our history of class balance shows that we attempt to discourage overpowered hybrid builds when and wherever possible. We are constantly balancing classes and will take action if something is not falling into line with class balance. We will continue to monitor these builds and adjust as necessary.

-eric

I just have to highlight this eric...how can you claim you're "constantly balancing classes" with a straight face? Your history of balancing is horrific man....you guys have a freaking easy to see track record of all this "balancing" you've failed to do since prior to 2.0 even. You can pretend you're good at it, but your lack of action isn't imaginary...

This is garbage. Seems like a late attempt at being 'transparent', they're scared at all these other games that are launching pretty soon and made this post to kinda get a "we've been adding pvp content in the last updates, please don't leave swtor!" message out... and for their live stream to go down smoothly too zomg.

I have been playing FFXIV (Ultros server) for a while now since SWTOR can't hold my interest anymore. FF has the BEST PvE in the market, with a unique job system where I level 1 toon that can turn into any job in the game by equipping its respective weapon -ofc, you do have to unlock and lvl all the jobs you'd like to run separately- and you can combine your "main" job with abilities from all other jobs for unique builds... it also looks/runs AMAZING and the content is VAST / the crafting system will blow you away (and it's going to be better once the first expansion comes out). The PvP in FF is in its infancy (and even so, PvP and PvE are balanced separately; very promising), but it's a fresh/new game and again, the PvE in it is so good that it fully numbs the pain BW has been dishing out for years, with their unprofessional and disrespectful demeanor. Keeping my eyes peeled for a non F2P, next-gen PvP mmo that looks, runs and IS amazing... wildstar isn't it, ESO isn't it.

I'm cancelling SWTOR as well, might post SSs of it too. I'll re-sub the day there's a significant, positive PvP change, if that ever happens.

And personally, **** Wildstar... the most faggod looking game with a faggod name... don't give a fk if the pvp is even decent (remains to be seen), if I can't stand looking at it. Hopefully it works out for you all.

Edited by Seengularity

Look, I like what BW is doing with the game in the coming months. The expansion, the guild ships, the legacy banks, and all of that. Yet, I can't help but comment this directly to Eric (and the PvP team he gets his answers from).

You need to upgrade your servers and/or engine.

Why? Bioware claims that, aside from Development time, the chief reason we cannot queue for the Warzones we want is because of queue times. Does this make sense? Yes, it does.

The PvP community as a whole also wants cross-server queuing. This will increase competition, help queue times, and provide many other benefits. Interesting how it will help queue times. A single server might not be able to support specific-warzone queuing, but the entire game community could. In other words...

Cross-server queuing fixes the queue-time barrier of implementing specific-warzone queuing.

Why not allow cross-server queuing? The primary reason for this is that there is apparently some kind of 'tech limitation'. I'm not sure if anyone at BW has made the connection yet, but if you find a way to put cross-server queues in the game, you will also be able to allow players to queue for specific warzones.

Keep that in mind, and keep looking for ways to put cross-server queuing in the game. It matters more than you think it does.

Have you considered implementing a Huttball League?

We have certainly seen a lot of suggestions around the creation of a Huttball League for sure! Implementing a Huttball League has a special place on our Wall of Crazy but it is not in our current roadmap.

I hope to see that one day, but yes maybe a few more different Huttball maps first...

Will you be implementing Cross-server queuing?

We have no plans at this time to implement cross-server queues.

Why? Just Why?

The shorter version without all the fancy words.

Hey folks,

One thing that I know we have received a lot of varying questions around is the topic of PvP in SWTOR. As many of you have surely seen we are going to have one of our PvP Designers, Alex Modny, on our Thursday Livestream event later on today. As with most of our streams we have quite a few questions which are commonly asked by PvPers. I talked with the combat team about many of your questions and got answers to many of the commonly asked questions. Below you will find those questions/answers.

Will we ever be able to choose a specific Warzone to queue for?

No.

Have you considered implementing a Huttball League?

No.

Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, but we won't fix that. No.

in the past we had an entry level set of PvP gear called the Recruit set. Wearing this set into a Warzone would put you at an “entry level” for PvP. However, having Recruit gear in the game created two important factors:

1. We feel that players don't know how PvP at max level worked.

2. We feel that players wouldnt be smart enough to get the gear and then actually equip it.

Will you be implementing Cross-server queuing?

No.

Will you be introducing rewards in future Seasons to recognize those players who have achieved the highest of ratings? 1500 seems like a low bar for some players.

No.

Will you be bringing back 8v8 Ranked Warzones?

No.

Are there any plans of expanding open world PvP?

No.

Are there any plans to address teams having healer hybrids in Arenas fighting against teams without a healer?

No.

What about the issue of 3v4 matches in Arenas?

No.

Matchmaking will sometimes place the same Advanced Classes on the same teams. An example would be 4 Powertechs against 4 Assassins. Are there any improvements planned here?

This is a great question, but No.

Huge rating gaps between players in any given Arena match….

We won't fix that, No.

What about players who “sync queue” to specifically play each other, AKA match fixing?

We have systems in place to detect these types of actions and when Season 1 ends, those players will find themselves without any rewards at all.

Do you have any plans to address overpowered Hybrid builds which are present in Arenas?

Not at the moment, No.

Although this may not be a comprehensive list of every PvP question ever asked, I hope that this will do a good job of answering a lot of the core questions PvPers are asking. Thank you all for your continued feedback!

-eric

But i guess its not a problem we could always just heal to full :w_tongue:

Edited by Sonathan

Not that it will help most people who are really upset, but one thing that I can say is that even up to fairly recently in Q&A's they gave the "no plans to implement it" answer to a few things that are now in fact going to happen, i.e. housing, guild ships, and legacy storage.

I am really unsatisfied with the state of big - group open world pvp. There has to be something that you guys can do that requires large groups (a boss or objective) from each faction out in the same area to fight for something (gear, vehicles, etc.).

The Gree event was great, but the FFA setting put a damper on my role playing.

My only regret is that i didnt unsub 3 days ago, because now i have 28 days left until i have to pay again.. Which i won't.. What you guys are doing with the pvp, or rather NOT doing is enough for me.. I will look elsewhere for something to do when my sub runs out!

This is very disheartening. The message is clear from Bioware. PvP is an after thought. Quite lazy from the developers if I'm being honest. How about you expand your ideas? Where is the imagination? You have no clear sense of direction. Stop being so closed minded about pvp development. More adventurous development in the pvp department will help the game greatly. A lot of people will resubscribe once it happens.

A lot of good idea's have been suggested by the community free of charge. Listen to your customers. The customer is always right no matter what. Listen to your customers.

With 2 big game releases coming this summer, wildstar and elder scrolls, both said games have a big focus on pvp I was expecting you to put 2+2 together and say "Yes this could be bad for sales, we need to come up with something in the pvp department to keep people interested". How can you not realise that? or is it you realise but simply can not be bothered in the effort involved keeping your audience happy?

You guys simply are not doing a good enough job in regards to pvp to keep swtor up to date with modern day mmo's.

The PvP community means a lot more than you think.

This will be my last subscription until I'm confident your putting swtor in the right direction with pvp.

I was already on the cliff when 2.7 notes were posted.

Don't you understand Eric/Devs? I rather throw lightsabers and shoot blaster over throwing spears and shooting arrow, but I how much more can I take?

Is this the official goodbye to any semblance of competitive PvP or real PvP content on this game?

Another sad day. This is like a breakup because I love Star Wars that much. Gawd yall are frustrating as hell.

It's nice to finally see someone from Bioware actually acknowledge the SUCK that is PVP. But what I read was... No, we don't intend on doing anything to make things better, everyone just needs to suck it up.

Responses like this are why I'm going to be taking my money elsewhere.

^^ Agreed! I think it is time for me to say good bye to SWTOR. PVP is what keeps me playing the game. I have seen the PVP community dwindle away on my server to the point that if something isn’t done, SOON, then it will be completely dead. I had hoped that Eric's post would give me something to look forward to. However, it did the opposite. I , as many others have posted, am going to move on to another game that puts a little more focus in the PVP aspect. Good luck to you all!

Semper Fi!

Edited by Darknessinme

That yours? For real?

... :(

I already have plans to leave when repopulation comes out. I only resubbed long enough to get my mando geared and rock some double mando pvp... we'll see if it's fun or not.

If the game ain't fun, ain't nobody gonna play it.

Yeah that is really me. This account will be up long enough to deal with the Class Rep stuff, and then its likely adios.

Edited by cashogy_reborn