Malckiah

Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5  

15,252 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class story, planets, minigames. Seems to be a common set with casual PVE folks.

What defines "casual" again? It seems to be a very nebulous term - in this instance, are they people who don't do Operations? Who don't do cutting edge progression?

What defines "casual" again? It seems to be a very nebulous term - in this instance, are they people who don't do Operations? Who don't do cutting edge progression?

People who don't grind for gear and don't repeat content over and over again = casuals

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

People who don't grind for gear and don't repeat content over and over again = casuals
I grind for gear on multiple toons. I min/max. I work through wipe nights and repeat content over and over again, and I'm a casual. I think casual gamers simply make gaming conform to their real life schedules instead of the other way around.

http://www.thenoisecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SWG-Subscription-Numbers.jpg

sure make up some more numbers, also compare popularity of MMOs 2003 with 2013, sweet

SWG went down when it was made "more WoW" with less sandbox

and what did developers learn? make another Star Wars WoW attempt :rolleyes: smart

As you can see before the combat upgrade SWG had the same number of subs like SWTOR has now, somewhere around 300K

So wrong on so many levels.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

SWG had shed over 50,000 subscribers ((1/6th of it's total)) before the Combat expansion came out. The combat expansion was a direct response to the fact that the game was losing customers like crazy. After it was released? The game continued to lose customers, as it didn't seem the expansion managed to make the game better. Rule of the story? Don't chase after customers you've already lost at the expense of the customers you still have.

So wrong on so many levels.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

SWG had shed over 50,000 subscribers ((1/6th of it's total)) before the Combat expansion came out. The combat expansion was a direct response to the fact that the game was losing customers like crazy. After it was released? The game continued to lose customers, as it didn't seem the expansion managed to make the game better. Rule of the story? Don't chase after customers you've already lost at the expense of the customers you still have.

Exactly. Which is not to say you should not try to make reasonable changes that encourage these players to return and try the game again... just that you do not re-engineer your game to attract them and destroy your core game and player base in the process.

Edited by Andryah

Interesting. PvP gained 4 points overnight. I really expected it would lose a few points. But the numbers speak. :)

Now... this is running over 1400 voters as of this post. Looking at the results.. does any of data really surprise anyone who is a regular here and watches and participates in the various "desire/want" discussions? And, what does this mean really? It likely pretty much confirms what Bioware already knows about the customer base.

I'm surprised that Operations is under 30%, but it's within the margin of error of a targeted poll with multiple-responses permitted to a single question so it's a nit to me at this point.

Edited by Andryah

The mini-game is what really surprises me.

"Yo Jawa, I added a game to your game so you play games while you play games."

Game Ception?

"The Pod Racing Game is fun, but my character would like to play SWTOR while Pod Racing, can you add a SWTOR game playing interface in my characters pod racer?"

Edited by StarMagus

I would gather that this represents the notion that most players are happy with the current pace/progress on Operations in the patching cycles. Frankly.. that could be true for PvP too.. though I think the low PvP number speaks more to this game being minority PvP (regardless of what zealots tell us otherwise).

I think it's funny how much faith you gave this poll as being "statistically accurate" two days ago when PvP was towards the bottom...yet today, PvP is in the #2 spot...good thing the flawed sampling of 400 people wasn't used to measure what players want huh?

Interesting. PvP gained 4 points overnight. I really expected it would lose a few points. But the numbers speak. :)

Now... this is running over 1400 voters as of this post. Looking at the results.. does any of data really surprise anyone who is a regular here and watches and participates in the various "desire/want" discussions? And, what does this mean really? It likely pretty much confirms what Bioware already knows about the customer base.

I'm surprised that Operations is under 30%, but it's within the margin of error of a targeted poll with multiple-responses permitted to a single question so it's a nit to me at this point.

Operations/Flashpoints are done

Class stories are done

Daily areas. enough of it by now

clearly this game needs entirely new things. Housing, sandbox planets, minigames. Same what is needed and requested since 2012 before the mass exodus that happened resulting in F2P.

My bet is next up for 3.0 are minigames, expanding GS and a housing system. Then I maybe get another month of subscription or more.

Looking at the results.. does any of data really surprise anyone who is a regular here and watches and participates in the various "desire/want" discussions?

I would assume it surprised YOU...and you're a regular here.

I would gather that this represents the notion that most players are happy with the current pace/progress on Operations in the patching cycles. Frankly.. that could be true for PvP too.. though I think the low PvP number speaks more to this game being minority PvP (regardless of what zealots tell us otherwise).

Well, even though I voted for Operations, they're a given. They are this game's end-game for PvE, for better or worse (I personally want more interesting mechanics and "fights" that are puzzley, but that's just me) - everyone knows that, at some point in the next four months, there will be another one or two Operations released. PvP waited many more months than that for their... war... arenas?, and they still talk about open world PvP as being this great, necessary thing (I thought that was what PvP servers are for, but apparently not.)

Story content - whether it be class or planetary - seems to be no longer a given. They've removed support for class story content and though there has been apparent postulation made in some errant pub somewhere about having more story content in the future, this does not (to my recollection) seem to have been officially backed up anywhere. They've been side-stepping the issue of communication by giving vague hand gestures which say "haven't we been clear in these very non-specific terms?"

Edit: Oh my god I got "story content" to line up three times on the edge of a paragraph. Maybe if I say it in front of a mirror three times at midnight, we'll get a story content update?

Edited by Tatile

I think it's funny how much faith you gave this poll as being "statistically accurate" two days ago when PvP was towards the bottom...yet today, PvP is in the #2 spot...good thing the flawed sampling of 400 people wasn't used to measure what players want huh?

I really stopped paying attention to the PVP portion of the poll once people started petitioning that others vote for it. When you specifically ask a particular subset of the population to vote then you're skewing the numbers.

Operations/Flashpoints are done

Class stories are done

Daily areas. enough of it by now

clearly this game needs entirely new things. Housing, sandbox planets, minigames. Same what is needed and requested since 2012 before the mass exodus that happened resulting in F2P.

My bet is next up for 3.0 are minigames, expanding GS and a housing system. Then I maybe get another month of subscription or more.

They're not remaking SWG. It failed as a game. It's not coming back. Get over it and move on.

I really stopped paying attention to the PVP portion of the poll once people started petitioning that others vote for it. When you specifically ask a particular subset of the population to vote then you're skewing the numbers.

They're not remaking SWG. It failed as a game. It's not coming back. Get over it and move on.

More skewed than the poll being hosted in a PvE dominated forum?

The reason it was linked to the PvP forum was to level the turf, since 90% of PvPers don't give a **** about PvE and never visit the general discussion forum.

Believe me, it's less skewed now that the full population has actually seen it.

Go ahead, link the poll to the Crew Skills forum and watch as nothing changes.

Edited by Morde_

Ah, so this data that was so scientifically flawless when PvP wasn't rated higher is suddenly skewed because it's not the result you're looking for? Gotcha! As long as you get the result YOU want, it's "valid"...but now it's invalidated because somewhere in this thread of nearly 500 replies, someone asked for PvP to be rated higher?

Edit: Oh my god I got "story content" to line up three times on the edge of a paragraph. Maybe if I say it in front of a mirror three times at midnight, we'll get a story content update?

Hehe... well.. they don't quite line up on my browser. Differences in scale setting I guess. :D

I agree with you that Ops are a given in PvE MMOs.... but given this is a select 5 of 13 poll question.. I'm still surprised it's under 30%.... considering how often people ask when new ones are coming. Maybe it being a given and people being fairly happy about the pace of release.. it did not warrant a vote by some players. But I agree with you that it would be nice of they put a bit more puzzle and confusion into Ops to be overcome.

The PvP number is really the only number to move radically since back when the poll was statistically stable back at around 200 pollers. Some of that (heck maybe most of it) was the rallying thread over in the PvP forums drawing the hardcore PvP crowd out of their cave and come visit the general forum. In addition, while the PvP % was ramping, the Story was declining... which might also be part of the PvP crowd trying to pump PvP and tank Story. Just speculation since I don't have a table to show who has posted since the poll went north of 400... but I bet I am more right then wrong. On the other hand.. the surge in poll responses may be more about the thread having a gold post in it as those always attract attention and we had a huge surge in poll responses after the PvP lobby thread and the gold posts. Regardless, PvPers have as much right to take the poll as anyone else.

Edited by Andryah

The only Star Wars game I had ever played before SWTOR was Star Wars: Racer. It's safe to say that I would spend most my time in this game pod racing, should it be implemented. Granted we aren't raiding or pvping at the time, but even then who knows, I do love me some pod racing!!

Hehe... well.. they don't quite line up on my browser. Differences in scale setting I guess. :D

I agree with you that Ops are a given in PvE MMOs.... but given this is a select 5 of 13 poll question.. I'm still surprised it's under 30%.... considering how often people ask when new ones are coming. But I agree with you that it would be nice of they put a bit more puzzle and confusion into Ops to be overcome.

The PvP number is really the only number to move radically since back when the poll was statistically stable back at around 200 pollers. Some of that (heck maybe most of it) was the rallying thread over in the PvP forums drawing the hardcore PvP crowd out of their cave and come visit the general forum. In addition, while the PvP % was ramping, the Story was declining... which might also be part of the PvP crowd trying to pump PvP and tank Story. Just speculation since I don't have a table to show who has posted since the poll went north of 400... but I bet I am more right then wrong. On the other hand.. the surge in poll responses may be more about the thread having a gold post in it as those always attract attention and we had a huge surge in poll responses after the PvP lobby thread and the gold posts. Regardless, PvPers have as much right to take the poll as anyone else.

If you really wanted to be a pedant, the poll links to a list of users who voted for each option. You take that cross-reference each user with their typical posting habits (mine are erratic, but you'll see I settle a lot around story and "player choice" options), to see if any particular posting habits coincide with voting habits. There may be one or two errant users who voted but don't post, but I find that to be unlikely.

What I find most interesting about all this...

Many players on these forums wail and moan about how this game doesn't really force anyone to be social and group up for content. We always see complaints from "old school", self proclaimed MMO professionals that this game isn't a good MMO because people are allowed to play the game on their own without help.

And what is the number 1 request in this poll? Class Stories (aka the biggest part of the game that is single player focused).

I just have to laugh at that. As usual the gaming community contradicts itself.

I like the poll. I really do. But it just goes to show you how the loudest complaints are most often in the minority.

Edited by Arkerus