2nd Digital Expansion

Nothematic

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will not be a new planet and there is no increase to the level cap with this expansion. We really wanted to focus this expansion around space off of rails where you get to fight your friends (and enemies!) :)

To that point, there will not be any Space based PvE content with the Digital Expansion. It is only going to be PvP.

-eric

Now is totally the time to add Guild Capital Ships. *nudge nudge*

There will not be a new planet and there is no increase to the level cap with this expansion. We really wanted to focus this expansion around space off of rails where you get to fight your friends (and enemies!) :)

To that point, there will not be any Space based PvE content with the Digital Expansion. It is only going to be PvP.

-eric

Thanks for the clarification. I still think Space PvE is an idea you should consider implementing at a later date, but it's clear how difficult the AI would be to program. Just a word of advice: Don't use Star Wars Battlefront 2 as reference. The space combat was great, but the one thing they utterly failed at was AI programming. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

-eric

Eric - are there any plans going forward to add PVE content once the new Space framework is in place.

Wait, i know - wall of crazy right?

-eric

On the info page, you say "Gunship Role" on December 17th. Does that mean I'll be the gunner of my friend's ship (or vice versa) or that I get the heavy artillery ship early on?

If not, there seems to be three ships right off the bat:

Scout: small, agile fighter with light armor.

Strike Fighter: A medium armored well rounded aircraft

Gunship: A heavily armored, heavily armed, slow rolling weapon of death.

Is that about correct?

-eric

Cheers for the info. I am a little disappointing to hear there will be no new story content, as that is the reason I play the game, but I am sure this will be a fun addition to the game and I am looking forward to it! :i_angel:

Also, is it possible that PVE Space missions will be added to the game?

Edited by Cyberwoman

There will not be a new planet and there is no increase to the level cap with this expansion.

There will not be any Space based PvE content with the Digital Expansion. It is only going to be PvP.

So in other words the "free" expansion is just a fancy way of saying we're getting a content patch adding a new 12v12 open space warzone. Don't get me wrong..I love it, it's cool...but calling it an expansion is a bit much.

Oh wow a space expansion!

....yawn

Seriously? All the feedback provided by these forums and maybe 1% has anything to do with space....and this is what you guys have decided to waste time and resources on?

You want this game to live longer than a few months after this expansion(skyrim online debuts roughly same time frame) let me give you a hint. Get rid of the shoddy C++ code with the terrible garbage collection that causes half your problems. Do any of your developers know how to ~delete() ?.

Find a different business model. Free is great for content, but when you label it an "expansion" subscribers tend to want more from a game than a few extra features that will probably not keep them interested after an hour of gameplay.

The cat is out of the bag however and I wish you the best of luck with this. But I highly doubt you will generate enough new subscribers to balance the mass exodus of current subscribers in the wake of this "expansion". So for anyone here that feels the same as I do, I will probably see you in skyrim hobbling around with an arrow in your knee.

Unless you plan on engaging ships in combat while free floating in space armed with a blaster pistol, I don't think your character's gear/level will have any bearing on the new space battles.

I think that is going to be one of the strengths of this expansion, the fact that it is brand new and not a simple PVP update. Hopefully this will be something that is fun and assessable for those who find ground-PVP intimidating, while also having enough depth to keep the hardcore PVP players hooked.

Unless you plan on engaging ships in combat while free floating in space armed with a blaster pistol, I don't think your character's gear/level will have any bearing on the new space battles.

I'm bet they're considering the addition of some kind of Expertise-esque ship modifications. I would not really appreciate that. What would you think?

-eric

finally, no more tube shooter.

If this proves to be popular, feel free to work on some pve content as well...maybe even some kind of integration with space and ground.

Oh wow a space expansion!

....yawn

Seriously? All the feedback provided by these forums and maybe 1% has anything to do with space....and this is what you guys have decided to waste time and resources on?

You want this game to live longer than a few months after this expansion(skyrim online debuts roughly same time frame) let me give you a hint. Get rid of the shoddy C++ code with the terrible garbage collection that causes half your problems. Do any of your developers know how to ~delete() ?.

yay new content...Time to unsubscribe for no apparent reason!

Edited by Vinak

IMO the believe that a substantial amount of subs will leave the game because of the nature or inclusion of a free flight space combat feature similar to BF2 is ludicrous at best.

It was not only the third most posted, viewed and responded thread in beta (wizard name change topic was number one, appearance tab was two), the highest polled request as to the type of space combat preferred during the same period, it is cited often outside the forum as one of the top 5 reasons the game fell short of expectations (on rails space combat).

Simply put, even for pure PVE folks and/or casuals, I expect this feature will have strong appeal. I would even go so far as to say that this is one type of PVP that all kinds of different folks will participate in.

So in other words the "free" expansion is just a fancy way of saying we're getting a content patch adding a new 12v12 open space warzone. Don't get me wrong..I love it, it's cool...but calling it an expansion is a bit much.

This. I'm personally looking forward to it, but i don't see it as an expansion. A huge content patch yes, but nothing more.

Looks interesting, but not much information so far. I am very curious about the details.

And please, don't forget the players who don't like space and/or pvp. A surprisingly large amount of players, I bet.

What does this mean for the regular schedule of updates? Will we see update 2.5 in the near future too, or is it just this until February and nothing else?

I understand 2.4 just got released and contains quite a lot, but players ARE going to yearn for new stuff very soon.

So, do we get an 2.5 update before the holidays, or will we get the biggest (non-space) content drought since the 1.3-1.4 gap?

Don't get me wrong, space sounds interesting and all, but I do wonder about other stuff...

-eric

Will there possibly be PvE down the line? Like space PvE Heroics and Operations?

This. I'm personally looking forward to it, but i don't see it as an expansion. A huge content patch yes, but nothing more.

Just like Rise of the hutt cartel was an arbitrary raise in level cap for no apparent reason and a daily quest zone masquerading as a planet.